2023 MLB Thread; Say Hey, Charlie Hustle: Rest In Power, Willie. RIP, Pete.

He'll always be known for the flying knee

SYClF1.gif

attachment.php

is the basis for the "manfred protects astros players" take that the individuals didn't get suspended or something else I'm not accounting for as well?

I believe it’s the didn’t suspend any Astro player and the “anyone who takes action will be heavily disciplined for doing so.”

I believe it’s the didn’t suspend any Astro player and the “anyone who takes action will be heavily disciplined for doing so.”

I'm really not sure what he was supposed to do though. If the players don't get immunity, the players don't cooperate. If the players don't cooperate, the investigation is severely limited. if he harshly suspends the players for not cooperating, the mlb player's association fights him on arbitrary punishments and likely wins. if he harshly punishes the organization, the rest of the team owners are going tho throw a fit in private because they don't want manfred to have the power to drop the hammer on them and take money out of their pockets for stuff the players and coaches do.

as for the second part, i'm not sure why anyone reasonably thinks the mlb is gonna turn a complete blind eye and let teams exact whatever revenge they want all season long. if they let it fly, you encourage it to continue. if they punish those trying to take action into their own hands now, they're closer to closing the door on the scandal.

Suspended a guy 8 games, which is equivalent of 22 in a normal season, for not hitting anyone. That was going to garner a reaction nonetheless.

Suspended a guy 8 games, which is equivalent of 22 in a normal season, for not hitting anyone. That was going to garner a reaction nonetheless.

but we're not in a normal season and he didn't get suspended 22 games. you're assuming he would have been suspended 22 games in a normal season for the same set of actions.

but we're not in a normal season and he didn't get suspended 22 games. you're assuming he would have been suspended 22 games in a normal season for the same set of actions.

Im saying the punishment for kelly, didn’t fit the crime for him.

Last edited:
They should've just tossed Kelly and fined him and been done with it.

I see reformeDWS reformeDWS point with the snitching though.

Do we know the extent of their "cooperation?"

They should've just tossed Kelly and fined him and been done with it.

I see reformeDWS reformeDWS point with the snitching though.

Do we know the extent of their "cooperation?"

from what i've read/heard - cora was essentially the architect. beltran was key too. because both were coaches and not represented by the player's union, manfred had a lot of authority over their punishments and it would probably be fine. therefore they probably had little room to cooperate and burn themselves.

as far as the players go, I can't really speak to how in depth they snitched. it sounds like without their cooperation, the mlb wouldn't get anywhere close to what it needed though. to that point, they only had the word of mike fiers who really couldn't verify all the details on his own. i doubt other players were going to jump up and snitch on themselves and manfred didn't really have leverage to make them cooperate because he'd lose the appeal of any fine/suspension he levied.

I said it when it happened, but I think Kelly would've been fine if he didn't talk **** walking off the mound. the pitches were defensible, but you lose that credibility when you appear to be the instigator. 8 was intentionally heavy handed to send a message to everyone else that it isn't gonna fly. he appealed. 3-4 games seems fair.

Correa was staring him down as he was walking off the mound. I’d say they equally instigated it. I just think it was very heavy handed and gave off the appearance of Manfred protecting the astros.

from what i've read/heard - cora was essentially the architect. beltran was key too. because both were coaches and not represented by the player's union, manfred had a lot of authority over their punishments and it would probably be fine. therefore they probably had little room to cooperate and burn themselves.

as far as the players go, I can't really speak to how in depth they snitched. it sounds like without their cooperation, the mlb wouldn't get anywhere close to what it needed though. to that point, they only had the word of mike fiers who really couldn't verify all the details on his own. i doubt other players were going to jump up and snitch on themselves and manfred didn't really have leverage to make them cooperate because he'd lose the appeal of any fine/suspension he levied.

I said it when it happened, but I think Kelly would've been fine if he didn't talk **** walking off the mound. the pitches were defensible, but you lose that credibility when you appear to be the instigator. 8 was intentionally heavy handed to send a message to everyone else that it isn't gonna fly. he appealed. 3-4 games seems fair.

But if you're going to cooperate with the investigation and tell the complete truth about being lying cheaters, why would you/how with a straight face could you be so defensive/offended at everyone the media other players other managers/coaches etc. How is Correa gonna tell Bellinger to ST FU before he gets all the facts and then the facts come out and Belli was correct. And he gave the facts to Manfred! Like, this whole thing would've gone smoother if they hadn't been total dicks about it, they deserve everything they get and more.

The last couple of years the astros have been pretty brash and arrogant - especially Bregman. I’ve always kind of liked the astros since we moved here to Houston in 89 and I was a kid, but it just rubbed me the wrong way.

Correa was staring him down as he was walking off the mound. I’d say they equally instigated it. I just think it was very heavy handed and gave off the appearance of Manfred protecting the astros.

Pitcher throws at batter's head after throwing at another batter earlier in the inning. pitcher strikes batter out and immediately yells "nice swing *****". batter stares pitcher down. "equally instigated". cmon man. correa isn't staring Kelly down unless he yells that out. did you expect him to get called a ***** and not engage?

But if you're going to cooperate with the investigation and tell the complete truth about being lying cheaters, why would you/how with a straight face could you be so defensive/offended at everyone the media other players other managers/coaches etc. How is Correa gonna tell Bellinger to ST FU before he gets all the facts and then the facts come out and Belli was correct. And he gave the facts to Manfred! Like, this whole thing would've gone smoother if they hadn't been total dicks about it, they deserve everything they get and more.

i don't think any apology would have been good enough for most. with that said, any apology would have been better than none, and they definitely handled it poorly. I understand exactly why people are upset.

Ultimately, Laureano said, he wishes he had chosen not to run toward the Astros' dugout and waste his time on Cintron. "I regret charging him because he's a loser," Laureano told ESPN. "[A suspension] is understandable, but I hope it's not that many games.

I like this guy more :lol:

Pitcher throws at batter's head after throwing at another batter earlier in the inning. pitcher strikes batter out and immediately yells "nice swing *****". batter stares pitcher down. "equally instigated". cmon man. correa isn't staring Kelly down unless he yells that out. did you expect him to get called a ***** and not engage?

i don't think any apology would have been good enough for most. with that said, any apology would have been better than none, and they definitely handled it poorly. I understand exactly why people are upset.

I was watching that game and everything report was the nice swing comment came after the faces Kelly made. That’s when Correa started towards the dodgers dugout. the pitch that went above Correa’s head was a breaking ball. We all know Kelly has control issues. Remember his working on a change up bid from this offseason?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom