2022 NBA Offseason Thread: Preseason kicks off; Things are fine in Los Angeles, Draymond beats the charges

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah. It’s hard enough for dudes that’re 7’1” or 7’2” and less… all those 7’4”+ guys get injured.

Ralph Sampson comes to mind

I had a thought in my head watching Wembanyama clips the other day, how much would he have to shrink for him to not be the #1 pick. Like 6'9 right?

Im never gonna be excited for a 7 ft+ prospect. All I think is frail and injury prone. KD is probably the only exception that comes to mind. 7ft traditional center types though maybe.

Hope Chet can be another one.

Im never gonna be excited for a 7 ft+ prospect. All I think is frail and injury prone. KD is probably the only exception that comes to mind. 7ft traditional center types though maybe.

Hope Chet can be another one.

IMG_1722-800x622.jpg

Like Stephen Smith said, he allows JJ to be good on tv. His wild takes allow JJ to play off him with his side. Got himself worked into a take and now he looks foolish
SAS playing chess with JJ giving him just enough rope. LMAO.
@WASHED KING , there's something that you're doing when you dismiss old players and automatically assume that current players would wash old players. You're failing to consider that environment + technology factors in. You're acting likeg it's just current player versus older player, but that's not the case.

"Lebron James would absolutely destroy anyone in the 60s." Look, by the time Lebron James was in HS, he was so good that damn near his entire senior season was on TV. Now imagine if he had never even touched a basketball until his sophomore/junior season. No 8th grade prep squads w/ coaches and athletic trainers giving him sage advice that he is just TAKING OFF with. Not even a little mini hoop in the living room as a toddler. Nothing. Just barely even introduced to basketball as a sophomore/junior, maybe as a freshman.

And not with nice shoes and shooting sleeves or knee braces. No, no, none of the technologies that today's NBA player practically grows up with. If you put Lebron playing against NBA players in the 1960s, no, you don't get the Lebron born in 1984. If we're going to imagine Lebron in the 60s, we're going to imagine Lebron born in the late 40s/early 50s.

And then on the flip side, if we're going to put Jerry West against today's players, we have to move Jerry West into today's timeline. Jerry West grew up doing farm work in West Virginia, like every other kid in West Virginia. Imagine him growing up in the late 90s on an AAU squad, having first been introduced to basketball at like 4. Imagine Jerry West going to a premier basketball HS, being given top notch coaching and athletic training since his age was single digits.

Then imagine that scenario... for Wilt. Or Russell. Start grooming Wilt Chamberlain to play basketball only starting at like age 5. Have him grow up wearing top of the line basketball shoes and doing basketball related exercises and drills hardcore starting in about junior high. 😬😬😬😬😬😬

It's not just player versus player. It has to be:
environment + technology + player versus
environment + technology + player.

-foe
Current players act like they will borrow the Delorean from Doc Brown. Grab "The Logo" from the locker room and toss him in a game of 5:5. I don't want to use him as an example, but Kobe is the first coming to mind that thrived in multiple eras of basketball. LeBron missed the 90s and has played in very similar eras. Maybe Ray Allen can be thrown in that group with Kobe. That group would consist of players with decent technology and experiences growing up, and good technology once they made it to the league. Eventually, getting great technology in the league. LeBron had great technology once he got in the league. The last point might not come across as very clear.
To be fair to JJ, Mad Dog was frustrating him. Seems to me like he just wanted to say something to clap back at Mad Dog but put too much sauce on it.

And I can understand. I work with so many Mad Dog types in my life.

Loud mouth "back in my day" old white people are one of the worst demographics to have to work with.
Can't let them bait you into that trap. Meanwhile, Mad Dog sitting back sipping tea, watching JJ look foolish.
sips-tea.gif

given that men typically lose about 1.2-1.5 inches of height as they age.
I find it hard to believe that prime Jerry West was actually only 6'3.
DAMN Jerry height, did not know men lost height as they age. About to start telling chicks I was 6'2 in high school, now I'm 5'10 because of loss of height. :rofl:
Idk mane, The old QB’s get a lot less respect these days than they used to…And in alotta cases rightfully so, like Troy Aikman wasn’t ever really like that woulda been an interception machine in this era

And Joe Namath :sick:
I was just listening to some old heads say Bradshaw wasn't good he just had good receivers.

I was just listening to some old heads say Bradshaw wasn't good he just had good receivers.
People have been saying that basically since Brasdshaw played.

Feel like football discussions are more often in favor of older players. I’ve heard on multiple occasions people say Montana, Marino and Dan Fouts would have been even better with today’s NFL rules.

Bird was 6’9 an all around great player. He could pass, defend and score the ball at an elite level. Also played in the 80’a when the league was deep.

Name a 6’3 player or shorter in the last 25 years that was an elite scorer for multiple seasons who didn’t possess elite athleticism that isn’t named Steph Curry.

So you’re saying if you drop Jerry West in todays NBA he would be on Wardells level?

it's pretty clear he wasn't 6'3. unless oscar robertson is also 6'3

1658611373055.png

also Jerry West was an all around great player
was an excellent passer, very good defender and elite shooter.

he's the first do it all 2 guard in the mold of a Kobe, MJ, Kawhi ect

this idea that Jerry West is some average athlete is just nonsense.
people just say that because he's white.

even just looking at his statistical profile
it's not like he was a finesse player shooting jump shots, never getting to the line.
he was generating double digit FTA in his prime.

and if you look at his steal rate, another good correlate for athleticism.
his last year at 34 he had a 3.6% steal rate that would have led the league if he played the entire season.

1658621643569.png

Jerry West was one of the better natural athletes of his era.
with modern training an nutrition, im sure he's be more athletic two guards in todays league.

Im thinking somewhere in the Kawhi, Brad Beal range.
but this idea that he was "slow/unathletic" is just code for "white"

it's pretty clear he wasn't 6'3. unless oscar robertson is also 6'3

1658611373055.png

also Jerry West was an all around great player
was an excellent passer, very good defender and elite shooter.

he's the first do it all 2 guard in the mold of a Kobe, MJ, Kawhi ect

this idea that Jerry West is some average athlete is just nonsense.
people just say that because he's white.

even just looking at his statistical profile
it's not like he was a finesse player shooting jump shots, never getting to the line.
he was generating double digit FTA in his prime.

and if you look at his steal rate, another good correlate for athleticism.
his last year at 34 he had a 3.6% steal rate that would have led the league if he played the entire season.

1658621643569.png

Jerry West was one of the better natural athletes of his era.
with modern training an nutrition, im sure he's be more athletic two guards in todays league.

Im thinking somewhere in the Kawhi, Brad Beal range.
but this idea that he was "slow/unathletic" is just code for "white"
This argument sans the white oppression is solid. The white oppression element really sullies that solid argument, though.

-foe

Beal is a freak athlete though. Stride length, elevation. Hip fluidity. Strength. Explosion Coordination.

West was athletic. He for sure wasn’t a Bradley Beal athlete. Unless I’m not reading what you wrote correctly.

if you think brad beal is a freak athlete, i disagree,
but whatever sub in what ever above average athlete but non freak 2 guard you like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom