2019 All Star Black Infrared Air Jordan 6

Where do you prefer the lace lock?

• Total voters
Uh, what "contrast piece" did the metallic 5s ever have in the first place?
air-jordan-og-5-black-metallic-silver.jpeg
wvoh1subjgry3hwscktv.jpg
On the 5 I cant see it. On the 6 its easy to see the difference.

air-jordan-og-5-black-metallic-silver.jpeg
wvoh1subjgry3hwscktv.jpg
On the 5 I cant see it. On the 6 its easy to see the difference.

I know what it is on the 6, J. The smooth "leather" piece. The 5 had no such thing, that whole shoe was black nubuck or whatever. There wasn't a texture difference on the materials used on the black metallic 5s. So yeah, no idea what that statement on the previous page was even about.

Did anyone like the infrared pack?!?! What were you guys thoughts on that pack?

Love em. Still have mine (both pairs). They were the obvious better option for me at the time since I couldn’t settle for the varsity red version. They are more of a collection piece in my collection now. Pull out the white/infrared every now and then. Remember sea glowing the sole on my blk/infra pair. The soles are deep yellow now. Made it worse :lol:. Grew to appreciate the black suede on them but still would rather not see JB use suede on them again.

I still cant see a difference.
I think it’s the collar of the metallics where the ankle pods are they have like a sheen to it not sure if that’s from age or how they made the contrast on the infrared 6s but I’m no expert though

Last edited:
As far as these 6s go, I was/am really hoping they do capture that difference in the heel. Even if its subtle. They looked as if they were able to do it with the newer 8 thats coming our way. So they can do it. If the adult version does not have that, I will be a little disappointed. We will see.

24185A3C-DDD1-4DB0-9CCD-8F1402AE2BB6.jpeg

Lol you guys really can’t see the texture difference in the collar material?

Dude. I owned them. More than one pair. For years. It’s not different. Maybe there were subtle variations in texture just as a normal part of stitching pairs together with different pieces from the supplier. Or maybe it’s aged slightly different. But I can assure you there was no noticeable difference whatsoever. And certainly nothing you would call or ever interpret as design intent in that regard.

Dude. I owned them. More than one pair. For years. It’s not different. Maybe there were subtle variations in texture just as a normal part of stitching pairs together with different pieces from the supplier. Or maybe it’s aged slightly different. But I can assure you there was no noticeable difference whatsoever. And certainly nothing you would call or ever interpret as design intent in that regard.
It’s subtle so you probably didn’t notice it/don’t remember. Doesn’t mean it wasn’t different (it was). The collar material was different on every og colorway not just the metallics.

It’s subtle so you probably didn’t notice it/don’t remember. Doesn’t mean it wasn’t different (it was). The collar material was different on every og colorway not just the metallics.

I'll just agree to disagree. It's a moot point unless I have a pair back in my hands, which ain't going to happen. If there was a slight difference, I suspect it was a supply or manufacturing issue with the blown/molded collar that might have led to it. Comparing it to the leather heel/ankle piece on the 6s is plain silly, either way. Not remotely similar. I will never believe this difference, if it exists, was intended by Tinker or anyone else as a design element. But hey, what do I know.

Not trying to add fuel to the fire or anything, I also never owned the OG's as I wasn't alive at the time, but I feel like it might just be something that varies pair to pair and/or depends on how worn in they are or it may even be a country based manufacturing issue. Since I recall the OG durabuck based 7's varying in shades and such when comparing the Taiwan to Korea pairs. But this was the best photo I could find of the OG V heel and collar up close and it seems like the collar texture looks more rubbery in appearance compared to the heel on some pairs.
air-jordan-v-black-metallic-silver-og-pair-on-ebay-01.jpg

The point is, this came up because of a comment about "contrasting" panels. We all know about the 6, the heel piece was clearly designed differently. It's smooth "leather" versus the pseudo-suede look and feel of nubuck/durabuck. Comparing it to some super subtle variation in materials on the 5 is beyond idiotic. It was an obvious design cue on the 6. It was/is not on the 5. I've been on this site for 18 years and never even heard this point brought up before. No one sees this as a design element on the 5. "Pedantic" doesn't even cover it :lol:

The collar on the 5s were of a different material as to help the shoe hold the shape of the ankle bumps that were debossed out of the leather.

I know what it is on the 6, J. The smooth "leather" piece. The 5 had no such thing, that whole shoe was black nubuck or whatever. There wasn't a texture difference on the materials used on the black metallic 5s. So yeah, no idea what that statement on the previous page was even about.
Its just on the top collar. I guess you have to know where to look to see it. I see it clear as day.

Not trying to add fuel to the fire or anything, I also never owned the OG's as I wasn't alive at the time, but I feel like it might just be something that varies pair to pair and/or depends on how worn in they are or it may even be a country based manufacturing issue. Since I recall the OG durabuck based 7's varying in shades and such when comparing the Taiwan to Korea pairs. But this was the best photo I could find of the OG V heel and collar up close and it seems like the collar texture looks more rubbery in appearance compared to the heel on some pairs.
air-jordan-v-black-metallic-silver-og-pair-on-ebay-01.jpg
No. Its on all pairs. Its an intentional design feature.

And if it wasnt intentional then it was a byproduct of whatever process they did to form the ankle bumps on that panel of material. Im guessing a heat press+vacuum suction

To avoid multiple thread pages like when i proved this exact same point about the 6s, I’ll just lay it all out. First set, is proof from 1990. It’s better to show it then, so how pairs look now will make sense. These pics are from games and from the commercials.
30F76243-D2BF-4DF0-B1EB-0A55B8EB4264.jpeg
111BED3D-3782-4DB0-8FCB-5D31E0C9C16F.jpeg
41613F24-26E6-4E1D-8E32-B2415ED7E833.jpeg
E5DEE912-B0A6-4F67-A311-310AAA4170EE.jpeg
E0A3587D-8F79-4B52-B075-66F33B93D003.jpeg
EB95922E-BD12-4785-987E-DDE94AF0F0E3.jpeg
C7D6DE80-BBBB-4BB8-85E9-17BB7B4539A9.png
AE1980AD-E49D-40FF-A516-E1606FEEBACF.jpeg
9C58005B-AD1C-4187-A525-1A83EA6221BB.jpeg
F9431D2D-6D82-4462-856A-81D6037EDB8A.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom