2016 Official NBA Off-Season Thread: Former Greatness

So much reaching. 

"The popular choice" "the PR choice".  Why don't you just admit that you think it's the wrong choice and stop hiding behind qualifications.

Silver clearly thinks it's the right thing to do—doing the right thing coincidentally happens to have PR benefits a lot of the time.

"Sports should stay out of politics" tell that to Muhammad Ali and Jim Brown.

Have you ever heard of anybody having any problems attending Panthers or Hornets games in Charlotte? I live in North Carolina and been to plenty of both and I've never in my life seen or heard of a single LGBT type of problem or any type of discrimination of anybody at either venue. We gonna move those teams out of the state too now? What's the difference between attending a game for the Hornets at that stadium and attending the ASG at that same exact stadium?

Last edited:
Have you ever heard of anybody having any problems attending Panthers or Hornets games in Charlotte? What's the difference between attending a game for the Hornets at that stadium and attending the ASG at that same exact stadium?

It's not a stance against Charlotte Hornets or an attempt to punish them, is why.

Last edited:
It's not a stance against Charlotte Hornets or an attempt to punish them, is why.

The point is they're moving the game from Charlotte when it's going to be played in the same exact stadium where one of the teams in their own league play all of their games. If you don't believe that one weekend of games and events should be there then how are you going to let the whole rest of the season be played there? If the commissioner of the league thinks it's such an unsuitable environment for the All-Star weekends festivities then it must be unsuitable for all other events....right?

Have you ever heard of anybody having any problems attending Panthers or Hornets games in Charlotte? I live in North Carolina and been to plenty of both and I've never in my life seen or heard of a single LGBT type of problem or any type of discrimination of anybody at either venue. We gonna move those teams out of the state too now? What's the difference between attending a game for the Hornets at that stadium and attending the ASG at that same exact stadium?

No and the city of Charlotte passed the initial anti-discrimination law that the state law was a reaction to.

But like afriend said, the law isn't meant to punish Charlotte or the Hornets. The Hornets are on record supporting moving the ASG. If the law is changed that benefits the people in Charlotte who were against it in the first place.

was listening to bomani's show from Friday and he was absolutely right on this issue..

Carolina already lost out on a ton of jobs and money because of this issue (mainly paypal, but there are others):

http://www.advocate.com/politics/2016/4/13/heres-all-business-nc-has-lost-because-anti-lgbt-bill

sure losing that business and the all star game is embarrassing for Carolina, but they can live with it

but the issue wont really hit home for folks in Carolina until it affects college basketball (and it already has started to)

"Sports should stay out of politics" tell that to Muhammad Ali and Jim Brown.
bomani was good on this issue as well in the first hour of his show on Friday..

he called dudes cowards who usually call in with that stuff ("stick to sports").. said it's never women or any minority that have a level of empathy and understanding for the impact those events happening in society can have on the individuals playing the sport as if they are robots who only exist in that singular environment

dudes who want things to be simple and neat, but we all know life is rarely that

Leagues absolutely have the right to 'get political' and take stances. But it does lead to an expectation of consistency from both fans and critics. Just the nature of going that route

The point is they're moving the game from Charlotte when it's going to be played in the same exact stadium where one of the teams in their own league play all of their games. If you don't believe that one weekend of games and events should be there then how are you going to let the whole rest of the season be played there? If the commissioner of the league thinks it's such an unsuitable environment for the All-Star weekends festivities then it must be unsuitable for all other events....right?
agreed its just dumb and pointless  . 

Last edited:

he called dudes cowards who usually call in with that stuff ("stick to sports").. said it's never women or any minority that have a level of empathy and understanding for the impact those events happening in society can have on the individuals playing the sport as if they are robots who only exist in that singular environment

dudes who want things to be simple and neat, but we all know life is rarely that
i love bomani but hes just flat out wrong..... sports are just sports. no need for the extra. just do your job, entertain  and shut up, stop meddling in ish that doesnt have to do with u 

Last edited:
I'm extra extra late to the party but i read this and strongly disagree. not saying that it should become an industry standard but i have no problem when sports and social justice intersect. folx celebrated the nba for "forcing" Donald Sterling to sell the clippers for his derogatory/racist comments towards the black community. i think it should also be celebrated for taking a stance in support of the LGBT community. this could be a double edged sword if leagues starting adopting conservative views/stances, but considering how large of an audience the nba, nfl, and mlb hold collectively, it makes sense that they use that power to make a statement when they deem it necessary
as someone else stated. sterling was a known racist. even former players called him out on it. 
Leagues absolutely have the right to 'get political' and take stances. But it does lead to an expectation of consistency from both fans and critics. Just the nature of going that route
exactly.... 
I will say this, people have come out and said NBA is set up and does business in places such as China or Saudi Arabia where homosexuality is a felony but, they don't care because they want the money, and that is more important in this instance than caring about LGBT rights.

Taking a stand against Charlotte or NC doesn't affect the NBA money because they don't lose it by pulling out, they'll still make that money in whatever city they move to, so "taking a stand" doesn't hurt them in this instance.

Only losers here is NC, and the NBA has taken a stance (a hypocritical one) that shows they "care".
hypocritical ish. 

i love bomani but hes just flat out wrong..... sports are just sports. no need for the extra. just do your job, entertain  and shut up, stop meddling in ish that doesnt have to do with u 
so basically you feel llike what Melo, CP, Bron and Wade and the WNBA players did was out of place and they should just stick to playing basketball?

Last edited:

so basically you feel llike what Melo, CP, Bron and Wade did was out of place and they should just stick to playing basketball?
i dont even know what they did ?

they can do what they want obviously, who is to say they out of place. but for me  , my personal opinion  athletes dont influence me , i dont care about they opinions on life or anything else. this is entertainment to me, they not role models or my heroes. they just play a game. i dont care about anything else about them outside of this game. dont care what they do for charity , if they are great people etc etc. why do people care about they opinion and worship celebrities or athletes  . 

its like the dave chappelle bit on " ja rules opinion on 9/11" 

Last edited:
\

Regular NBA games and the ASW are not the same thing.

You AWARD the ASG to a city and state.

This award involves photo ops with city and state officials. If the NBA doesn't like the law why would they award their only prize to that city/state?

so basically you feel llike what Melo, CP, Bron and Wade did was out of place and they should just stick to playing basketball?
i dont even know what they did ?

they can do what they want obviously, who is to say they out of place. but for me  , my personal opinion  athletes dont influence me , i dont care about they opinions on life or anything else. this is entertainment to me, they not role models or my heroes. they just play a game. i dont care about anything else about them outside of this game. dont care what they do for charity , if they are great people etc etc. why do people care about they opinion and worship celebrities or athletes  . 

its like the dave chappelle bit on " ja rules opinion on 9/11" 
ok. i wasnt coming at you just generally asking. And what they did was speak on the killings recently. 

If only it was that simple my man...in the perfect world yea, you'd be right.

But reality is that these things are intertwined man. @Itsaboutthattime made a beautiful example by mentioning Ali and Jim brown.…

It's needed man. No matter how uncomfortable it makes some people, it's needed man....it benefits us all!!! It's for the betterment of us all as a society, it's so much bigger than your making it seem...

No shots at all...I just really hate the "stick to sports argument"

Another great point Bomani main to combat the "stick to sports guy" is that nobody ever says stick to sports when it's about domestic violence. And rightfully so. They shouldn't...

Our love for sports Is so small and insignificant in the grand scheme of things man...

Last edited:

ok. i wasnt coming at you just generally asking. And what they did was speak on the killings recently. 
its all good.

we all have opinions.  good or bad they opinions dont hold more weight then your opinion, whether  i agree with it or not just cause they athletes or celebrities dont make they opinions special to me but as i stated i understand many people worship celebrities and athletes and are impressionable . thats not me though i find it to be ridiculous . . 

\

Regular NBA games and the ASW are not the same thing.

You AWARD the ASG to a city and state.

This award involves photo ops with city and state officials. If the NBA doesn't like the law why would they award their only prize to that city/state?

They awarded the city of Charlotte with the Hornets again, didn't they? If they wanted to be consistent then couldn't they strip that city/state of their franchise as well? If they don't then they're still reaping the awards and benefits from having an entire franchise in the state of North Carolina.

They awarded the city of Charlotte with the Hornets again, didn't they? If they wanted to be consistent then couldn't they strip that city/state of their franchise as well? If they don't then they're still reaping the awards and benefits from having an entire franchise in the state of North Carolina.

not within the commissioners powers.

You need a i think 70% of the owenrs to vote to strip someone, and no owner is stirpping and owner of a franchise becuase of something their state politician did. Sets a dangerous president for any other owner.

Your reaching on this.

You can critisize them for inconsistency but stripping the ASG is compltley reasonable, and it doesn't neceisistate stripping the franchise.

Nah **** don't work like that. Black athelets have and should say what they feel if they have it in them. There's so many racial undertones that come from the media especially about NBA players so it's never just about the sport. Some people just can't handle it when these topics really get discussed. Ali and Jim Brown are loved cuz the stance they stuck for their people in the 60's and 70's. And today Black people are still going through the same things and if the athelets today want to speak on it, they should. It has everything to do with them.

Sounds like you want a bunch of OJ Simpson's. :lol:

not within the commissioners powers.

You need a i think 70% of the owenrs to vote to strip someone, and no owner is stirpping and owner of a franchise becuase of something their state politician did. Sets a dangerous president for any other owner.

Your reaching on this.

You can critisize them for inconsistency but stripping the ASG is compltley reasonable, and it doesn't neceisistate stripping the franchise.

i think he;s talking about stripping a state of their team, not the owner. The owner did nothing wrong here.

But i'd assume the process to strip a state from their franchise would probably be even more difficult. Way too extreme for this matter.

Taking the ASG was necessary, but its not going to help unfortunately

Back
Top Bottom