2014 NBA Off-Season; Paul George suffers a double-compund-fracture, likely out for season. Speedy re

Status
Not open for further replies.
for what it's worth, they WOULD HAVE matched had bosh signed. they were comfortable with a harden parsons bosh howard, and believed it was the best starting 5 in the NBA. after bosh said no, they reevaluated and walked away from parsons

The mistake isn't not matching, the mistake was allowing him to become a free agent in the first place, when they could have had him this year for 1 million dollars and still added pieces to the puzzle.

Then lost him for nothing. He could have been a great trade asset, instead they got nothing at all.

Dallas can afford to have him, because Dirk took less money, so it doesn't cripple them like it would another team. Even tho Dallas overpaid, they are underpaying their #1 guy, so it washes.

i'm still trying to understand that. there was literally nothing to gain from letting him out of his deal early.

i'm still trying to understand that. there was literally nothing to gain from letting him out of his deal early.

I knew it was a bad idea from the start :smh: .. if they used the team option on Parsons and got rid of Lin/Asik plus TJ, would they have been able to sign Bosh?

Mudiay to forego college and play Euro League smh

really wanted to see him, even for a yr :wow:

boosters aint break him off a little something?

Yeah that Larry Brown duffle bag wasn't enough :smh:

It was a way to clear the most cap space for Bosh, right? Then go over the top with Parsons, who they would have had some extra leverage with. Something like that?

And as Lowe alluded too, Dwight and Parsons have the same agent, might have been a favor to land Dwight, let Parsons out a year early. That could have been something too, but impossible to prove.

Speaking of Morey...

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-best-way-to-understand-daryl-morey/
This is why Morey’s actual career has been so much fun. For someone who’s supposed to be the smartest guy in the room, there have been plenty of horrible decisions. Remember when the Rockets chose Jeremy Lin over Goran Dragic and Kyle Lowry in 2012? Or what about the offseason before that? Everyone remembers how the CP3 veto screwed the Lakers, but David Stern also saved Rockets fans from watching Morey impatiently bet the future of his team on Pau Gasol and Nene.

Morey got famous as the mastermind who exploits every inefficiency, but the greatest lesson of his career is that you can control only so much. For anyone trying to build a title contender, luck is just as important as assets or expertise.

It’s not just luck, even. As much as everyone can be seen as an asset on Morey’s roster, the Rockets are your most convincing proof that personalities matter in basketball. If Bosh choosing four years with Dwyane Wade over Dwight and Harden doesn’t make that obvious enough, then just look over at the bench in Houston. Morey and the Rockets have made approximately 500 tweaks to the roster over the past few years, and somehow nobody in the front office has had the strength to make the one move that would absolutely make Houston better: firing the likable Kevin McHale and hiring a coach who can actually take them to the next level.

I used to be one of the people who loved watching Morey fail. He’s the cult leader of an NBA movement that often oversimplifies basketball and dismisses critics as simpletons. Of course it’s fun to watch him take 10 steps forward and somehow end up going backward.

But just for the record, this is definitely the wrong way to look at it.

As the years have passed, one thing has become obvious about Morey and the new generation of GMs that followed him. Their trademark has nothing to do with math or metrics.

Generally speaking, the one trait that actually sets Morey and the “new” GMs apart from the old guard is effort. They are more creative with the salary cap, more relentless in the trade market, and more ambitious in the long run. People criticize new GMs for treating players like assets instead of humans, as if other GMs are paragons of trust and loyalty. The reason that GMs like Morey do more deals isn’t because they somehow value players less than other GMs. It’s because they’re less complacent than a lot of their predecessors.

I'd agree with this assessment of Morey. He's trying, he's looking at new ways of evaluating and understanding players... but that can go too far. I'm a fan of advanced stats and metrics, but there's a compromise to be made when looking at raw numbers and value and then what happens on the court. Like the article says, building a team is also about knowing your players and how they fit and mesh... along with coaching. But especially with this last bit..

Morey may never actually win a championship in Houston, but in a league with Kevin Durant and LeBron James and the Spurs and (eventually) Anthony Davis, anyone who’s not on one of those teams is working with long odds. Failure isn’t as damning as it seems. Sometimes you just need to go for it and get lucky.

That’s what this summer was about with the Rockets. Morey missed, but at least he was going for it. A core of Bosh, Dwight, Harden, and Parsons could have been murderous next year.

When it didn’t work, he could’ve tried to save face by matching the Mavericks’ offer sheet and bringing back Parsons, but that just would’ve compounded the disappointment. Parsons will be great at helping the Mavs get to the middle of the West, but bringing him back at $15 million a year wasn’t going to help get Houston from the middle to the top. Instead, the Rockets will save that money and go after someone else.

This is the NBA.. you need your superstar or you need some very good players and a bit of luck. Morey hasn't been perfecft.. giving up Lowry/Dragic, etc. but I respect the effort and the way he's tried to build his team.

Word.

they pay him earlier, and that would be an incentive for him resigning. they gambled on the fact that parsons was gonna resign since they let him out of that "cheap" contract and basically pay him more a year earlier. basically both parties would show "good-faith"
morey had to know that teams were gonna make a run for him whether this or next yr

im pretty sure morey felt parsons resigning was a given. then cuban comes and throw 45M :lol:

Last edited:
The mistake isn't not matching, the mistake was allowing him to become a free agent in the first place, when they could have had him this year for 1 million dollars and still added pieces to the puzzle.

Then lost him for nothing. He could have been a great trade asset, instead they got nothing at all.

Dallas can afford to have him, because Dirk took less money, so it doesn't cripple them like it would another team. Even tho Dallas overpaid, they are underpaying their #1 guy, so it washes.
really like 980K i think :lol:

You don't want to run the risk of your young player being an unrestricted free agent, because in the end you have no control. So Morey decided to make him a restricted free agent. It just happened to blow up in his face.

It was a way to clear the most cap space for Bosh, right? Then go over the top with Parsons, who they would have had some extra leverage with. Something like that?

And as Lowe alluded too, Dwight and Parsons have the same agent, might have been a favor to land Dwight, let Parsons out a year early. That could have been something too, but impossible to prove.

i've heard rumors of the dwight thing too. impossible to substantiate, but who knows.

i wonder why we couldn't have just moved lin/asik, and then just negotiated an extension with parsons. water under the bridge.

and bigJ, repped on that post. morey is a gambler. you can't always win. it happens. basketball reasons saved us from pau + nene, but then morey still put the pieces to get harden, got howard, and had us in position to get bosh. we really can't do anything about bosh just taking more money :lol:

Read on espn that they didn't want him to become an unrestricted free agent. By declining his option they had the chance to match any offer. If he was unrestricted they wouldn't of had that opportunity. 

And it's too bad Frye couldn't wait any longer. He would've fit in perfectly in Houston. Probably would have had money left over to improve the bench too.

Last edited:
Its early, but so far, I'd have to say Dallas is winning the offseason in the West. They've clearly improved themselves, while the rest of West teams have just stayed in place, even the ones that have made some FA signings.

my man delonte...not the smartest way to get back in the league though

teams are gonna see this and not want to give him a chance

In fairness to Morey, a couple of other general managers have handled Dragic and Lowry like morons in their careers, too.

Last edited:

Then lost him for nothing. He could have been a great trade asset, instead they got nothing at all

This. Cant be mad though, they took a gamble and lost, but if they won they'd be set.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom