2014 NBA Off-Season; Paul George suffers a double-compund-fracture, likely out for season. Speedy re

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had said before that LBJ was smart this time around to be the first one to opt out.  Now, I don't know if he ever discussed ahead w/ Wade or Bosh, or had a bigger voice in their discussion, but the move showed the obvious pecking order.  LBJ - WADE - BOSH

It'll be interesting to see if things have gone sour between the trio.  It'll be funny if they restructure the other 2 guys, just to give LBJ a bigger contract. LOL

Bron is gonna get the max regardless.

The way Wade and Bosh go absent during stretches of the season, Bron needs a max contract.

I was reading an article earlier about why Carmelo should consider the Mavericks, and just curious what everyone thinks of the main points brought up.

A) Carmelo has never played with (And may never play with if he doesn't join the Mavericks) a player like Dirk Nowitzki, who is as unselfish is can be, willing to take a substantial paycut in order for him to come to town, and is willing to let him take over the franchise. Of the teams being considered, Dirk is the only NBA Champion of the Superstars persuading Melo. Dirk could still take over on nights when needed, but the franchise will be Carmelo's.

B) The Mavericks also have one of only four active coaches who have won an NBA Championship (Carlisle, Pop, Spo, and Doc). Not only that, but Carlisle is one of only two coaches to beat the Heat in the Finals, and also that Carlisle pushed the Spurs further than any of the other teams they faced this year. Lastly, a tandem of Carmelo and Carlisle would mean neither one of them is undermanned. Carlisle would have all the assets needed to put together a championship team, and that Carmelo would have the coach that could guide him to a championship. Not just that, but Carlisle has proven to turn players with bad reps into guys with good reps (Just look at OJ Mayo and Monta Ellis after some Carlisle coaching). Also, getting the most out of his bench players (Brandan Wright, Blair, DeShawn Stevenson, Peja, Brian Cardinal, etc).

C) Dallas' brass has shown their willingness to make changes to compete for a Championship, and making the right moves to stay in contention. Bringing up the fact that they've been in the Playoffs 13 of Cuban's 14 years; bringing up the fact that they've been to the Finals twice, winning once without a player anywhere near the caliber of Carmelo Anthony as the first/second option. Also they mention that the other two possible destinations for Melo have seen Chicago play 23 Playoff games since 2011, but Derrick Rose, their superstar, has only appeared in one, and that Houston has won one playoff series in sixteen years.

D) Lastly, the culture. Probably most important. Dallas isn't known as a city for it's bafoonery. They avoid it like the plague. The only issue they have ever encountered is their owner is outspoken. There's no back-stabbing, unloyal players, or shady staff/personnel. It's a professional team about winning basketball games that hasn't had a lick of any drama or controversy since Cuban and Dirk have been the faces of the franchise.

To me, it brightens my thought of Carmelo in Dallas. A core of Tyson, Carmelo, Dirk, and Monta is much better than what we had in 2011, plus with that core, it would be much easier to persuade talents to come to Dallas cheaply like a lot of very good role players have recently to teams like the Heat, Thunder, and Clippers.

The two biggest points to me is Carlisle and Dirk. Carmelo might never have the opportunity to work with a coach as good as Carlisle, and will most likely never play with another player as unselfish as Dirk is.

Houston is a great destination as well, but they don't have a HC that is proven, nor a player like Dirk who has already reached the mountain top.

Ehhh, I wouldn't disagree too much with any of this. The issue is quite simply the western conference. A Core of Tyson, Melo, Dirk, and Monta is very good and would probably be title contenders, but that core arguably still doesn't make Dallas better than the clippers, Spurs, Thunder, or maybe even the Rockets still. That's not even mentioning teams like Golden State, or Memphis. That core of Dallas is very good, but they could easily be bounced in a 6 game first round series.

Where as if he goes to Chicago, the Bulls would immediately go straight to the ECF barring injury and literally have maybe one team in his way to get to the finals. For Melo personally? It should be clear as day Chicago would be the better move for him.

who in dallas wrote that :lol:

the first point is silly imo. who cares if dirk is "unselfish"? the point is to be playing with the best players. up to this point the best he's ever played with would be jr smith :x

i won't argue against carlisle. i love that guy.

"Dallas' brass has shown their willingness to make changes to compete for a Championship, and making the right moves to stay in contention. " yet they broke up their championship team right after winning it.

the last point sounds nice in theory, but most winning teams have that. there's only a handful with horrible stigmas, and those teams usually suck anyways.

"Houston is a great destination as well, but they don't have a HC that is proven, nor a player like Dirk who has already reached the mountain top.". dirk nowitzki at 36 isn't better than harden at 24 and dwight at 29.

I was reading an article earlier about why Carmelo should consider the Mavericks, and just curious what everyone thinks of the main points brought up.

A) Carmelo has never played with (And may never play with if he doesn't join the Mavericks) a player like Dirk Nowitzki, who is as unselfish is can be, willing to take a substantial paycut in order for him to come to town, and is willing to let him take over the franchise. Of the teams being considered, Dirk is the only NBA Champion of the Superstars persuading Melo. Dirk could still take over on nights when needed, but the franchise will be Carmelo's.

B) The Mavericks also have one of only four active coaches who have won an NBA Championship (Carlisle, Pop, Spo, and Doc). Not only that, but Carlisle is one of only two coaches to beat the Heat in the Finals, and also that Carlisle pushed the Spurs further than any of the other teams they faced this year. Lastly, a tandem of Carmelo and Carlisle would mean neither one of them is undermanned. Carlisle would have all the assets needed to put together a championship team, and that Carmelo would have the coach that could guide him to a championship. Not just that, but Carlisle has proven to turn players with bad reps into guys with good reps (Just look at OJ Mayo and Monta Ellis after some Carlisle coaching). Also, getting the most out of his bench players (Brandan Wright, Blair, DeShawn Stevenson, Peja, Brian Cardinal, etc).

C) Dallas' brass has shown their willingness to make changes to compete for a Championship, and making the right moves to stay in contention. Bringing up the fact that they've been in the Playoffs 13 of Cuban's 14 years; bringing up the fact that they've been to the Finals twice, winning once without a player anywhere near the caliber of Carmelo Anthony as the first/second option. Also they mention that the other two possible destinations for Melo have seen Chicago play 23 Playoff games since 2011, but Derrick Rose, their superstar, has only appeared in one, and that Houston has won one playoff series in sixteen years.

D) Lastly, the culture. Probably most important. Dallas isn't known as a city for it's bafoonery. They avoid it like the plague. The only issue they have ever encountered is their owner is outspoken. There's no back-stabbing, unloyal players, or shady staff/personnel. It's a professional team about winning basketball games that hasn't had a lick of any drama or controversy since Cuban and Dirk have been the faces of the franchise.

To me, it brightens my thought of Carmelo in Dallas. A core of Tyson, Carmelo, Dirk, and Monta is much better than what we had in 2011, plus with that core, it would be much easier to persuade talents to come to Dallas cheaply like a lot of very good role players have recently to teams like the Heat, Thunder, and Clippers.

The two biggest points to me is Carlisle and Dirk. Carmelo might never have the opportunity to work with a coach as good as Carlisle, and will most likely never play with another player as unselfish as Dirk is.

Houston is a great destination as well, but they don't have a HC that is proven, nor a player like Dirk who has already reached the mountain top.
Ehhh, I wouldn't disagree too much with any of this. The issue is quite simply the western conference. A Core of Tyson, Melo, Dirk, and Monta is very good and would probably be title contenders, but that core arguably still doesn't make Dallas better than the clippers, Spurs, Thunder, or maybe even the Rockets still. That's not even mentioning teams like Golden State, or Memphis. That core of Dallas is very good, but they could easily be bounced in a 6 game first round series.

Where as if he goes to Chicago, the Bulls would immediately go straight to the ECF barring injury and literally have maybe one team in his way to get to the finals. For Melo personally? It should be clear as day Chicago would be the better move for him.
WHY WOULD HE SIGN TO CHICAGO WITH A QUESTIONABLE D ROSE?

WHY??

WHO THE HELL IS GONNA HELP HIM ON OFFENSE???

They don't even have a BENCH yet.

As a Melo fan I want him to go to Chicago because it's the best situation for him to win right now. As a Knicks fan I want him to stay. It's evident Phil has a plan to win and if Melo ever won a ring in NY he'd have a statue in front of MSG.

Edit: Chicago is the best place assuming Rose is 100% healthy and will play the whole season.

Last edited:

WHY??

Because the benefits involved in this situation. In theory, even if D Rose got hurt again, or is never the same, Melo plus the rest of that Bulls team is still good enough to be the best team in the East and get to the finals.

Having a bench is overrated come playoff time. (Unless you are the Spurs) Most teams only go 7, maybe 8 deep if that in the playoffs anyway. Melo alone with the rest of the Bulls is good enough to win the east.

There are no other alternatives out there that allow for Melo to have as good of a chance to play for a ring as playing for Chicago would do for him. No team in the west with the addition of Melo become overwhelming favorites. With Chicago, he makes the bulls automatically ECF finalist and depending on the rest of the make up of the conference, automatic NBA finalist.

WHY??

Because the benefits involved in this situation. In theory, even if D Rose got hurt again, or is never the same, Melo plus the rest of that Bulls team is still good enough to be the best team in the East and get to the finals.

Having a bench is overrated come playoff time. (Unless you are the Spurs) Most teams only go 7, maybe 8 deep if that in the playoffs anyway. Melo alone with the rest of the Bulls is good enough to win the east.

There are no other alternatives out there that allow for Melo to have as good of a chance to play for a ring as playing for Chicago would do for him. No team in the west with the addition of Melo become overwhelming favorites. With Chicago, he makes the bulls automatically ECF finalist and depending on the rest of the make up of the conference, automatic NBA finalist.
Having a bench is overrated come playoff time?

Melo with that Bulls team is good enough to be the best team in the EAST?

Automatically ECF finalist?

Melo isn't LeBron.

A++++ very well said

48 you kidding right? Indiana is getting in the way even with lance there?? No

Bulls And an older less confident miami will be going head to head and with rose healthy or not its still for the taking..

Last edited:

I think the reason why the Mavericks have missed of big free agents is because Dirk is considered part of the old guard

Dirk is still great but how much longer is he going to play in the NBA?

Monta is good but he's not a player you build around

The Mavericks should just try to get a few underrated free agents and sign them to 2 year deals and try to ride it out with Dirk

cavs gonna give hayward a max contract because lebron doesn't want to talk to them
roll.gif

this is NOT what kyrie had in mind when he signed his extension.

cavs gonna give hayward a max contract because lebron doesn't want to talk to them :rofl:

this is NOT what kyrie had in mind when he signed his extension.

First post in here in over a week and you can't help but bring up the Cavs/Lebron.

James hasn't spoken with a single team yet, including the one he plays for. So your point is null and void.

Last edited:
First post in here in over a week and you can't help but bring up the Cavs/Lebron.

James hasn't spoken with a single team yet, including the one he plays for. So your point is null and void.
giving someone like hayward a max contract is hilarious, just so happens it's the cavs to do this. i'm sure the pistons would have done it as well if they didn't over spend last offseason for smith and jennings.

"The Cavs had been hoping to secure a meeting with LeBron James but haven't been successful and moved on to make Hayward their top free-agent target."

Oh word. We're just gonna copy and paste random tweets and act as if they're credible statements :rofl:

And no one offered Hayward an official contract yet lol.

Strike 2.

that came from the article up on ESPN, and other sports media sites have already said the cavs will offer gordan 63 million (max).

it's ok to be in denial

wink.gif

Lmaooooo he aint going to no dallas bruh

Last edited:
When the Cavs said they had second thoughts on offering Hayward a max because it was said that Utah would match any offer...
Led me to believe they were just BSing anyway. And all this source mess tweet this and that is ****. About as good as the news coming from an NTer in my book.

When the Cavs said they had second thoughts on offering Hayward a max because it was said that Utah would match any offer...
Led me to believe they were just BSing anyway. And all this source mess tweet this and that is ****. About as good as the news coming from an NTer in my book.

You on the frisky side 2nite huh bro View media item 1058890

You on the frisky side 2nite huh bro View media item 1058890

Haha. Seems that way huh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom