2014 NBA Draft Thread

It'd be crazy to say that Elfrid is better than Smart today, and I'm a huge Elfrid fan. He may end up being better, though.

It'd be crazy to say that Elfrid is better than Smart today, and I'm a huge Elfrid fan. He may end up being better, though.
You also have to look at value. Smart isn't a sure-fire starting PG of the future, meaning irreplaceable. Does that garner a top-10 selection? Whereas Payton can likely be had in the mid-first or even 20's.

I don't know fam, Smart gives you everything Payton does but better with a superior body.

Payton turns the ball over at a higher clip, shot 60% from the line and I'm unsure about him creating his own shot in the L.

The athleticism/defense is there though.

Only thing Payton has over Smart is height and Smart's wingspan negates that.

Chad Ford Big Board 11.0

With the NBA draft combine over, player workouts are now in full swing. I saw all three of the draft's top prospects in workouts last weekend. Plus, I watched prospects work out in Chicago, New York and Southern California (in Thousand Oaks and Santa Monica) over the course of the past two weeks.

While workouts are only a small part of a much bigger draft picture, they offered an up close and personal look at 14 of our top 17 players. That, combined with additional feedback from NBA GMs and scouts, means it's time for Big Board 11.0 of the 2014 NBA draft.

1. Andrew Wiggins

Of the top three prospects, Wiggins is the most polarizing among the trio. A preponderance of scouts and GMs believe he is the best prospect in the draft. They see a mix of Paul George and Tracy McGrady. He also has more detractors than either Jabari Parker or Joel Embiid. Some are convinced that Wiggins' lack of an elite skill set to go along with his incredible athleticism will regulate him to the likes of a DeMar DeRozan or Rudy Gay. However, after seeing the work he is putting into improving his jump shot and getting lower to the ground off the bounce, the easier it is to get comfortable with the idea that he could be a superstar.

Here's the biggest issue with Wiggins: Will he develop the hunger, the killer instinct that makes the great ones great? Wiggins has one of the highest ceilings of any player in the draft and his elite defensive ability will allow him to make an impact from day one. In some ways he's the perfect blend of Embiid's upside and Parker's immediate impact.

2. Joel Embiid

Embiid took the first step toward answering concerns about his back injury last week in Santa Monica. While he was a little out of shape (understandably so given that he had to rest his back for eight weeks), Embiid didn't look like a player with a back problem. Now all he's waiting on is a couple of NBA doctors to concur that there are no long-term issues. If he clears that hurdle, there's no question that Embiid has the most upside of any player in the draft. Those Hakeem Olajuwon comps are the real deal. But he's also the furthest away from making an immediate impact. He's the biggest gamble at the top, but also provides the biggest reward.

3. Jabari Parker

Parker erased any doubt that his conditioning was going to be an issue during his Santa Monica workout. He performed at a furious pace. Of all the workouts I've seen over the past few weeks, Parker's had the biggest "wow" factor. He's the most offensively skilled player in the draft, showed great quickness and has a high basketball IQ. The two questions about Parker are his defense (though his measurements gave GMs some assurances that he might be able to guard 4s at the next level) and his ceiling. Without elite athletic tools or size for his position, can he ever be more than "just" a really good All-Star? That's the only thing holding him back from being a lock for the No. 1 pick.

4. Dante Exum

Exum was the only player in our top six not to do some sort of workout for NBA GMs and scouts. Sources say the Bucks got to visit with him in L.A., but it wasn't in a workout setting. But that doesn't seem to be hurting Exum's stock at all. As Kevin Pelton and I pointed out, not only is Exum a sleeper on many draft boards, but the analytics say he might be the second-best player in the draft. The Bucks are very high on him, and contrary to the ongoing storyline that no one wants to play for the Bucks, they are having Exum in for a visit and workout. The Sixers and Magic also are fans of Exum, so I don't think he slides past the Jazz at No. 5.

5.Noah Vonleh

There remains a robust debate among NBA teams among Vonleh, Julius Randle and Aaron Gordon. The argument for Vonleh? He's the biggest of the three (especially when you factor in his length); he's the most versatile offensively of the three (he can score down low and is an excellent perimeter shooter with NBA 3-point range); and he likely has the most upside. He gets looks as high as the Sixers at No. 3 and I don't think he slides past the Lakers at No. 7.

6. Marcus Smart

Look out, here comes Marcus Smart. After getting picked apart for much of the season by scouts, the love affair for Smart seems to be growing once again. NBA GMs who grumbled about him all season are warming up. His size and strength at point guard, plus his motor and leadership on the court all are so appealing. Plus, his workout was terrific. He shot the ball very well and, like Parker, went hard on every set. I think he's in the mix at No. 4 to the Magic (especially if Exum is off the board) and appears to be getting looks from the Celtics at No. 6 and the Lakers at No. 7. It's hard to believe he slides past the Kings at No. 8.

7. Julius Randle

Randle hasn't gotten the publicity of the other players on this board. He hasn't done a public or private skills workout yet for NBA teams. Still, he is the most physical power forward of the group. He already has an NBA body, loves to bang in the paint and plays with the highest motor. For teams looking for toughness and grit -- and the player most likely to command a double-team in the paint -- he's the guy. He essentially has the same draft range as Vonleh, from the Sixers at No. 3 to the Lakers at No. 7.

8. Aaron Gordon

Scouts and GMs tend to either love Gordon or hate him. He's the best athlete of the elite forwards, is the best defender and has the versatility to play multiple positions on the floor. So much of Gordon's impact shows up in ways other than points. He's the guy most likely to post 12 points, 8 rebounds, 3 steals, 2 blocks and 4 assists on any given night. The Jazz at No. 5 are probably his draft ceiling. The Celtics are very intrigued with him at No. 6 and might be the best bet to draft him. I doubt he slides past the Sixers at No. 10.

9. Dario Saric

Saric isn't in the U.S., so he doesn't get the attention his game deserves. That's too bad. He continues to dominate in real games as opposed to one-on-none workouts like his fellow prospects. He's now moved into the Croatian playoffs and is averaging 19.2 PPG for Cibona. In his last game, versus Cedevita, he scored 28 points, grabbed eight rebounds and had five assists. His production has been remarkable this season and he's worthy, in terms of talent, of a being in the same conversation with Vonleh, Smart, Randle and Gordon. However, questions still linger regarding whether he'll leave for the NBA this year or stay in Europe at least one, possibly two, more years. Until that is definitively resolved, teams remain a bit wary of taking him too high.

10. Gary Harris

Harris' mild groin strain has kept him from getting some of the attention that others in the draft are getting, but even in the limited workout I saw in L.A., you can see all the makings of a lottery pick. His shot looked back to form and he's primarily spending his time working on his handle as he makes the case to NBA GMs that he can spend at least some of his time running the point. With that said, he's in a tight scrum with Nik Stauskas for the the next 2 guard off the board after Wiggins.
Too lazy to post the top 30. If there's a prospect you want to read about, just request said prospect.

Last edited:
13. Elfird Payton

Payton continues to be this year's high riser. I walked away from a workout with him in Thousand Oaks wowed by his quickness, ability to get to the basket at will and his defensive tenacity. He's improved his mechanics on his jump shot as well. Given his size, length and age (he's young for his class), I think there's a very good chance he's the third point guard taken off the board after Exum and Smart. His range starts with the Kings at No. 8 and I doubt he slides past the Raptors at No. 20.

29. Jordan Clarkson

Clarkson was impressive at both the draft combine and in workouts he recently had for NBA teams in New York. His length and athletic ability for his position were never in doubt, and he's been shooting the ball much better and reminding scouts why they loved him early in the season. He's been slowly moving back up a number of draft boards and is now in the range between Memphis at No. 22 and the early second round.

Wilcox got an honorable mention (no write up).

You also have to look at value. Smart isn't a sure-fire starting PG of the future, meaning irreplaceable. Does that garner a top-10 selection? Whereas Payton can likely be had in the mid-first or even 20's.
That's a completely different conversation than saying Player A > Player B. 

15. Zach LaVine

LaVine looked super athletic at a workout in Santa Monica last week. But that comes as no surprise. After the combine I think it's safe to say that he's one of the two or three best athletes in this draft. His shooting stroke was a bit more inconsistent and the one-on-none nature of the workout didn't tell us much about his point guard skills. He has the size to play both positions and, based on sheer upside, probably is a top-10 pick. But some teams see him as a project, which hurts his stock a little. I think his range starts with the Sixers at No. 10 and ends with the Jazz at No. 23.
16. James Young

Young might end up several spots higher on draft night. There are a handful of teams, including the Hornets and Magic, who have him rated higher. His size for the position and his shooting stroke, combined with the fact that he's one of three players left in our Top 100 who still is 18 years old, give scouts hope that he wasn't close to realizing his full potential at Kentucky.
23. P.J. Hairston

Hairston didn't really help himself at the draft combine. It had nothing to do with his interviews which, by most accounts, he passed just fine. It was his somewhat lackadaisical approach to the drills that hurt him. Scouts who have watched Hairston long enough know that he, like Warren, comes alive when the game begins. But for a guy who needed an image overhaul, the draft combine didn't help. Hairston's range is between No. 13 to the Timberwolves to No. 25 to the Rockets.

Hairston could make a playoff team happy if he falls to the back of the first.

Last edited:
Anybody else got that Shabazz Muhammad feeling with James Young?

Just don't see either living up to their skill set as wings brought in for outside shooting.

Just don't see either living up to their skill set as wings brought in for outside shooting.

Been had it the whole year watching him, you can't be the "shooter" but hitting 40% from the field and 34% from 3. Granted a fair amount of those were bad looks because he had a terrible pg in Drew Harrison :smile:{) but even when he did get good looks he missed them.

Also dude is one of the worst defenders with athleticism and a big wingspan in recent memory.

The only upside with him is that he's actually 18, unlike Bazz. :lol:

Last edited:
Reports are saying Boston is "locked in" to picking Aaron Gordon if he's available.

Shooter that can't shoot? He's a better athlete than Bazz, but Young gives me that goofy *** Nick Young vibe. 

Definitely see Nick Young in James Young, dudes gotta be distant cousins or some ****.

Back
Top Bottom