2014 NBA Draft Thread

, it was VERY alarming that when healthy he didn't take all of Martell Webster's minutes,
How would he take all of someone's minutes that was just paid 24 million?
What does pay have to doing with minutes? The thought of playing someone more minutes because he got a new contract is farfetched. If Otto Porter was worthy of getting Webster's mins, he would have. Coaches tend to give rookies and young players more minutes than the vets, if they exceed or even close in production in practice, to develop them and give them experience. The fact that Porter didn't get those minutes, shows how far behind he is. 

How many interviews have we read in the past where politics get involved? Yeah...

What does pay have to doing with minutes? The thought of playing someone more minutes because he got a new contract is farfetched. If Otto Porter was worthy of getting Webster's mins, he would have. Coaches tend to give rookies and young players more minutes than the vets, if they exceed or even close in production in practice, to develop them and give them experience. The fact that Porter didn't get those minutes, shows how far behind he is. 

:lol: What coaches have you been watching?

Any coach near the playoff hunt is playing vets over rookies 9 times out of 10. Look at Scott Brooks. He's not an outlier in the league.

Yeah it was no coincidence that anthony Bennett's minutes went down once Cleveland was still in the playoff hunt.

Gilbert saw the dollars. Especially since it could have been a Miami Cleveland matchup.

I understand, but it's Martell Webster. If it were Carmelo, or even someone like Kevin Martin, it would make sense to play them for the minutes you spent big money on, but this is from role minutes. I personally think it has more to do with skill and level of play, rather than politics and management.

Yeah it was no coincidence that anthony Bennett's minutes went down once Cleveland was still in the playoff hunt.

Gilbert saw the dollars. Especially since it could have been a Miami Cleveland matchup.

Exactly why I don't want a promising young player going to that team, it's not a smart environment for development.

laugh.gif
What coaches have you been watching?

Any coach near the playoff hunt is playing vets over rookies 9 times out of 10. Look at Scott Brooks. He's not an outlier in the league.
Lamb got more minutes than Thabo. Also Doc Rivers did it years ago. He gave Avery Bradley more minutes and the nod over Ray Allen, which is one reason he left.

Last edited:

You kinda just proved my point. Bennett's mins were reduced so they could get more consist play to make a playoff push. The fact that Porter NEVER got those mins to begin with, kinda shows that the skill and high level of play needed, wasn't there all season.

Lamb got more minutes than Thabo

By literally every single measure - you're wrong. It blows my mind you would even say that.

Sefolosha got taken out of the rotation after San Antonio demolished them in g1 and g2. Outside of that, he's played more than Lamb in every way imaginable. Over the entire season on a per game basis, over the entire playoffs per game, over the last two years per game. And Sefolosha just had a TERRIBLE shooting season - so it's not like he was tearing it up. And Lamb is the guy that they traded Harden for, so there's incentive to develop him. Plus, this is Lamb's 2nd year... You're even more wrong if we use Lamb's rookie year like we're doing with Porter.

Lamb got more minutes than Thabo
By literally every single measure - you're wrong. It blows my mind you would even say that.

Sefolosha got taken out of the rotation after San Antonio demolished them in g1 and g2. Outside of that, he's played more than Lamb in every way imaginable. Over the entire season on a per game basis, over the entire playoffs per game, over the last two years per game. And Sefolosha just had a TERRIBLE shooting season - so it's not like he was tearing it up. And Lamb is the guy that they traded Harden for, so there's incentive to develop him. Plus, this is Lamb's 2nd year... You're even more wrong if we use Lamb's rookie year like we're doing with Porter.
So you don't think the 3rd overall player in the draft is any incentive to develop him. Also you act as if Martell Webster is just tearing up the league. Like I said earlier it just kinda proving that Porter is where he needs to be. 

What fantasy world do you live in?

Show me the list of players in NBA history that got a 4 year $22 million dollar contract and wasn't in their team's rotation for that 1st year.

What does Martell Webster being Martell Webster have to do with anything? 
The fact that Porter NEVER got those mins to begin with, kinda shows that the skill and high level of play needed, wasn't there all season.
He missed the entire summer league and training camp. 

He was supposed to hop in the rotation on a playoff team from the jump?

You sounding like Black Migo right now.

Last edited:
Really strange that you responded to nothing I said except made some wild assumptions based on things I very clearly did not say.

Moving on, I'd wait a year to really judge Otto. He missed the early part of the year including Training Camp and Summer League - which are crucial for rookies. He also had solid vets in front of him. They're the kind of guys that you play if you don't want to live with rookie mistakes. Plus they both shot 40% from 3 - huge for a team that desperately needed shooting at the SF position.

Show me the list of players in NBA history that got a 4 year $22 million dollar contract and wasn't in their team's rotation for that 1st year.

;lol black Migo as a generic insult

The fact that Porter NEVER got those mins to begin with, kinda shows that the skill and high level of play needed, wasn't there all season.

You missing my point. He was the 3rd overall pick. Was viewed as the most NBA ready of all top picks. I'm not campaigning for him to get starter minutes, not even 6th man minutes, but with talent alone he should have cracked the rotation. Most top picks who are that buried on the charts don't pan out.

THJr wasn't considered "NBA Ready" but his strong play in the summer league and preseason gave him some minutes during the regular season. He eventually became the 6th man when JR Smith went into the starting lineup. I don't think anybody expected THJr to be on the All Rookie 1st team when the season began.

Moral of the story: Any rookie with potential should be given a chance to prove himself. If he plays well, give him more minutes. If he doesn't pan out, cut his minutes.

Not every rookie gets a chance their first year and it takes more than a season to really judge whether or not they are a bust. I do agree that perhaps more rookies should be given more of a chance to prove themselves

Still think Bennett and Porter should've both played in the d league this year.

but because for whatever reason the d league is so frowned upon the Cavs and Wiz were too scared to do it.

All most of you like to do is argue on this site.

Porter was the #3 overall pick, was supposed to be the most NBA ready player in the draft and couldn't even get burn over a dude that's never averaged over 11 points a game in his career. I don't care that he missed summer league (which some of the same people using it as an excuse always say how meaningless and useless those summer league games are). The dude was healthy basically all season and didn't prove he was worthy of coming off the bench.

I can't decide if a more athletic Draymond Green would be Aaron Gordon's ceiling or basement.

For the record, I do like both.

Still think Bennett and Porter should've both played in the d league this year.

but because for whatever reason the d league is so frowned upon the Cavs and Wiz were too scared to do it.
Agreed. If you're not going to play in the NBA midas well log minutes in the D-League

I can't decide if a more athletic Draymond Green would be Aaron Gordon's ceiling or basement.

For the record, I do like both.

I potentially see it. Gordon hasn't really showed me yet that he has the same offensive craftiness and playmaking ability that Draymond showed coming out of college. I'm starting to like the Marion comparisons even more, especially if that jumper can start falling in actual game situations.

Back
Top Bottom