2014-15 Lakers Season Thread (21-61) KAT

This summer, if the chance comes, Love, Rondo, Neither, or Both?

• Love

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rondo

• Neither

• Both

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Goran in 4th quarters can do what Swaggy did last year. Steal games.

Ed Davis and Hill typically don't steal games late.

When we play NY, Minny, Philly, etc, Goran is the best player on the court. He could steal those games.

No thanks. The pick is more important than Dragic. And 4 times cheaper, and a decade younger.

Not worth the risk.

We won't be in any games losing Ed Davis & Jordan Hill's rebounding ability.

Boozer can't give you anymore than he has. And Tarik could maybe at best cover for Ed Davis.. MAYBE.. Now who covers for the role Tarik Black had behind Davis, Hill & Boozer? And not even mentioning Jordan Hill.

Also a late 1st for Reggie Bullock, who was a late first in 2013.... Isn't a bad deal.

Also Dragic may not even get the max. Who is going to give it to him?

Last edited:
nerd.gif

E, NY and LA, both on Goran's list.

Think dude. Why those two teams? Why?

Drive up market. Create bids. You're a Yankee fan, you should know this stuff.

Just cuz he may not get "max" doesn't mean he won't try to get damn close.

Saying I want 80, and ONLY getting 75 is meh.

Askin for 80 and getting 50 is much more difficult. We ain't gettin that lucky. :lol:

Pacers are who should be grabbin him anyway. But that's another topic.

For us, he's not worth the risk. He doesn't get us a title, he doesn't draw anybody, he's merely a nice player. With an 80 million dollar sticker price.

5 months ago you wanted to give Bledsoe 80 million dollars, now you wanna give it to Dragic, a guy five years older and less talented. Come on man. Stop tryin to burn money. You wanted Melo for 95 million too. Even older than Goran. :lol:

Ease back, clear the deck, stack the picks up, wipe Kobe's deal, see what ya have with the picks, then go shopping for the RIGHT pieces, not just any pieces.

Gonna look pretty stupid to buy Dragic, get the 3rd pick, and Russell/Mudiay are what's left. :nerd:

Shop AFTER you find out what kids rise up. Randle? Towns? Russell? Maybe Clarkson?

E, NY and LA, both on Goran's list.

Think dude. Why those two teams? Why?

Drive up market. Create bids. You're a Yankee fan, you should know this stuff.

Just cuz he may not get "max" doesn't mean he won't try to get damn close.

Saying I want 80, and ONLY getting 75 is meh.

Askin for 80 and getting 50 is much more difficult. We ain't gettin that lucky. :lol:

Pacers are who should be grabbin him anyway. But that's another topic.

For us, he's not worth the risk. He doesn't get us a title, he doesn't draw anybody, he's merely a nice player. With an 80 million dollar sticker price.

5 months ago you wanted to give Bledsoe 80 million dollars, now you wanna give it to Dragic, a guy five years older and less talented. Come on man. Stop tryin to burn money. You wanted Melo for 95 million too. Even older than Goran. :lol:

Ease back, clear the deck, stack the picks up, wipe Kobe's deal, see what ya have with the picks, then go shopping for the RIGHT pieces, not just any pieces.

Gonna look pretty stupid to buy Dragic, get the 3rd pick, and Russell/Mudiay are what's left. :nerd:

Shop AFTER you find out what kids rise up. Randle? Towns? Russell? Maybe Clarkson?

Who is going to give him a max?

Who?

The Kings?

He's going to go to the Kings?

He's going to go to the Kings?

He's going to end up at 4 year / $65-70mil.

$16mil - 18.5mil . In 2016 that would be less than a maximum for a 0-6 year experience player.

Yes. I would have given the max to Eric Bledsoe.

No I would not give a max to Dragic (3-1/2 years older, by the way, just nitpicking). Nor do I think he's getting it.

He may end up a mil or two more a year than Reggie Jackson. And older or not, I'll take Dragic over Reggie everyday of the week, even at a couple mil extra.

Well if we are only going to sign guys that will win a title? We are going to be waiting a LONG LONG LONG LONG LONG TIME. Especially if Randle or that Top 5 flame out. God forbid because we need them to live up to what they could be.

You take talent when talent is available. Especially when there is very little to no talent on your team. We don't have any reason to be picky.

We don't know who is where and who drafts what. We may end up with the 5th pick, and Mudiay & Russell are gone.. Boy wouldn't it have been nice to have a PG too with Stanley Johnson. Hell we don't know if Towns slips some spots. Randle was top 3 at this point. Ended 7th. Or if a team goes left field and reaches. Or if they draft position of need or they take a PG even though they already had one. We don't know. So you take the low hanging fruit and you move on.

Also you're suggesting that I make the trade without any consideration to "The Tank," when clearly that is not the case. I explained why, you could make a deal for Dragic and make us worse.

If I can make the team worse, get Goran Dragic and the sacrifice is the 25th pick of the draft... I do it every time. Especially considering we'd have to take an extra player who would likely be Reggie Bullock (the 25th pick of the 2013 NBA draft).

You probably assume that I don't think in the big picture, but I do. It's why you see that I always sit down and do the money aspect along with ideas that I do.

Last edited:
Yes, we have every reason to be picky.

Like I said, from Melo, to Bledsoe, to now Dragic, you're desperate to throw money at someone, anyone.

I'm not desperate. I rather build the core better, cheaper, stronger, THEN spend to fill in the gaps.

Not throw money at low hanging fruit. :lol: :lol:

I think there is a deal amongst the players we have to not include the first round pick, and tank hard.

I'm of the mind that Ed Davis is gone. He's gonna get $6-7-8 mil, it's not worth it. Yes, he's worth it, but from the grand scheme of things I think he's too far out of our range because we need starters.
Jordan Hill is gone, no reason to pick up his player option.

Jordan Hill, Ed Davis, Lakers 2nd, Clippers 2nd

-for-

Goran Dragic & Reggie Bullock

Then our front court is..... Tarik Black / Robert Sacre / Carlos Boozer / Ryan Kelly. :lol:

The one thing that interests me about Dragic is what his cap hold is when he declines his player option. Because that could allow us to go after someone in the $10mil range, and then sign him for something

Id be down for that trade only if they gid rid of boozer or just sit him.

We take in dragic and lose all of our good bigs wed still suck

I dont want boozer lighting it up on offense. He can still go wjen he gets the playing time

Yes, we have every reason to be picky.

Like I said, from Melo, to Bledsoe, to now Dragic, you're desperate to throw money at someone, anyone.

I'm not desperate. I rather build the core better, cheaper, stronger, THEN spend to fill in the gaps.

Not throw money at low hanging fruit. :lol: :lol:

A max player

A max player

And someone who is at far market value.

That's not throwing money at anyone.

Also you can build a better core trading for Goran Dragic than you can maxing out Reggie Jackson.

Last edited:
if he already said he's not staying in PHX even for the extra max money, wait it out. then itll be may the best team win in the offseason. if he's about that 80 mil max, then he'll stay in phoenix...oh well, too rich for my blood anyway.

2. Teams could get crazy in 2015 free agency

Consider this analogy. You bake apple pies for a living. You need rights to apple orchards. You know that any apple orchards you license in 2016 are going to be much more expensive than orchards you license in 2015 due to market forces. You can use apple orchards licensed in 2015 up through 2019, and the price you agree on in 2015 won't change. So it makes lots of sense to buy those orchard contract in 2015 instead of waiting until 2016!

But the orchard sellers know all about the coming price inflation, too. They have to sell their orchards' rights in 2015; they can't very well sit out an apple pie season. They have options. They can sell the rights to the orchards for just one year and cash in on the 2016 price boom, or they can convince you to overpay on a four-year deal for the orchard, knowing that you'll still save money over buying orchard rights in 2016. It's a seller's market, and the anxiety over the rising market could cause the buyers to get aggressive.

That's how I think the 2015 free agent market will shake out for players like Rajon Rondo, Greg Monroe and DeAndre Jordan. Signing them to even max deals in 2015 might look like a bargain come 2016. At the very least, some teams will feel that way. And as all free agents know, you only need one team to fall in love.

3. Free agents with options will consider delaying their paydays

Kevin Love has been fully expected to exercise his player option and become a free agent in 2015. If he signs a max deal, it would amount to roughly $94 million over five years. But if he opts into his $16.7 million for next season, in 2016 he could potentially sign a five-year max worth $155 million with the Cavaliers (or whichever team holds his Bird rights). If he wanted to sign with a different team, the deal would be worth potentially $115 million over four years. That's a huge reason for Love to delay free agency a year and could be the motivation behind his comments earlier this season.

The same applies to a guy like Jimmy Butler, who can sign a max deal as a restricted free agent in 2015 or bet on himself, sign the qualifying offer and rake in a truly huge deal as an unrestricted free agent in the greatest cash boom in NBA history. Can Butler delay his payday one year to set up the next four generations of his family? It's a bargain worth considering.

Players including Draymond Green, Goran Dragic, Monta Ellis, Jeff Green, Tristan Thompson, Arron Afflalo, Patrick Beverley, Roy Hibbert, Brandon Knight, Thaddeus Young, Jared Dudley and Reggie Jackson are in position to delay pending 2015 free agency one year by picking up a player option, declining an early termination option or signing a qualifying offer. That's going to be an awfully tempting option for a lot of these players, especially those who have already reaping NBA millions. It's a tougher sell to the younger guys still waiting on their first massive NBA payday, like Draymond, Beverley and Jackson. But a little patience could go a long way.

:nerd:

Kenyon Martin.
Erick Dampier.
Peja Stojakovic.
Ben Wallace.
Rashard Lewis.
Vince Carter.
Baron Davis.
Elton Brand.
Hedo Turkoglu.
Carlos Boozer.
Joe Johnson.
Amare Stoudemire.
Deron Williams.
Gerald Wallace.
Josh Smith.

Now ask yourselves, do you really want the Lakers to toss big money to a player like Dragic (or Rondo) approaching his 30s still?

About the only time it really paid off was ironically Steve Nash and the Suns. And to a lesser extent Tyson Chandler and the Knicks.

If George Karl wants to run with the Kings, Lin should be offered. :nerd:

Derrick Williams and Ray McCallum works.

Dragic approaching 30 doesn't scare me as much as other players because Dragic doesn't rely on his athleticism to be effective. Steve Nash (his idol) and Chauncey Billups are both PGs who peaked late because they used craftiness and creativity to get theirs, not jumping out of the gym.

Dragic lays the ball up even on fastbreaks, lol. He's a good choice to age gracefully.

Having said all that, there's no point to trading for him at this point. Just wait out and offer him something like 4 years/60 and if some bum team like Sacramento offers him more then so be it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom