2013 New York Yankees season thread Vol. (85-77) OFFSEASON

Leaving to many people on base again to start this game. Great inning in the third for us :smokin

Heading to NYC, plan to hit the two game series any Yankee Stadium tips. Spots to eat pre/post game. Bars to hit pre/post game. Subway lines, we'll be staying near Times Square.

Tonight 6/18
RHP Phil Hughes (3-5, 4.89) vs. LHP Hyun-Jin Ryu (6-2, 2.85)
7:05 p.m., MY9 and MLB Network

Wednesday 6/19
RHP Hiroki Kuroda (6-5, 2.78) vs. TBA
7:05 p.m., YES Network and ESPN2

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Teix' is back on the DL :smh: .

Mark Teixeira (wrist) will be placed on the disabled list.

It doesn't come as a big surprise, as Yankees general manager Brian Cashman indicated Monday that he was leaning in that direction. Teixeira is currently dealing with inflammation in his right wrist and was given a cortisone shot over the weekend. Getting some extended rest is probably the best course of action, though surgery hasn't been ruled out if he continues to have issues. The Yankees are expected to call up Adam Warren to replace him on the active roster, but Zoilo Almonte is also a possibility for a call-up.

Maybe Mattingly can suit up tonight and tomorrow and play for us like old times?

Last edited:
Damn

Youkilis is having back surgery and he's out for three months.

Tex is probably having surgery...done for the year if he does.

send boston back their garbage :smh:

Seriously. What a bust he has been.

The Yankees have made a flurry of announcements in my short time at the Stadium today. First, it was announced that Mark Teixeira is heading back onto the disabled list with inflammation in his oft-injured right wrist. While the early indications are that the Yankees expect Tex to return shortly after his 15-day DL stint has concluded, the news for Kevin Youkilis is worse. Brian Cashman just told us that Youk has a herniated disc in his back that will require surgery. He will have the surgery on Thursday, and is then expected to miss 10-12 weeks. Simply put, his season is now in jeopardy.

The Yankees brought up switch-hitting outfielder Zoilo Almonte to take Tex’s roster spot, and also brought Adam Warren back up while designating Chris Bootcheck for assignment. I’ll have more on all of this in a little while.

Last edited:
I might be in the minority but I don't really mind Youkilis being out.  Any realistic fan knew this year had the potential for the team missing the postseason again, especially once Cash was instructed to get the payroll to $189.  Corners were going to be cut somewhere.  Still, Youk wasn't exactly cheap but conceivably what other 3B options were there?

For comparison's sake, Youkilis has had a 77 wRC+, -3.4 Fld, and a -0.4 WAR.

Would you rather have Jeff Keppinger and his 28 wRC+ and his -2.1 Fld.  That's good for a -1.5 WAR.  Or how about Placido Polanco?  Sure, they could have been enjoying a 56 wRC+ and a -0.6 WAR.  Or Ty Wigginton, to enjoy a 39 wRC+ for -0.4 WAR.  Point being, the 3B FA class was terrible.  Chavez wanted to be on the west coast.  Youk was the best option.  He hit well and was healthy during ST and everyone was trumpeting how good he looked.  Yes, there was an injury history there but they gambled on him being healthy long enough for him to contribute in the midst of all the noticeable absences.

However, the real reason I don't mind Youk missing so much time is because it forced guys like David Adams to be called up to play everyday.  Although his play has been largely rather unspectacular, he has still been better than any of the aforementioned options--Youkilis included.

Last edited:
I'm livid. Completely slipped my mind that today was Old Timers Day :smh: >: missed the entire ceremony.

Any chance Almonte sticks?

He's looked good so far these 2 games.
I was at the game on Friday night.... Kid looks promising, would much rather him out there than Wells..... Maybe swap out Wells for Haftner in the DH spot you know Girardi loves to play those matchup games....

Last edited:
I'm livid. Completely slipped my mind that today was Old Timers Day :smh: >: missed the entire ceremony.

I recorded it, I love this damn day. I'm a go one year.

Also, I think Pettitte might be done. He hasn't looked that good this year :smh:

So the pain in Teixeira's wrist hasn't responded to the cortisone shot he received last week.  Looks like Ballerific could be right about surgery being imminent.

Again, I'm sort of ambivalent to the prospect of losing a "big bat" for the rest of the season.  The team has regressed to playing .500 ball after the 17-10 start but it's promising that going into today the Yankees also own the 3rd best record vs. teams above .500 (Boston 31-23, Detroit 24-17, New York 30-23).

If anything I'm more concerned with C.C.'s drop in velocity.  Last season the lowest average velocity for his fastball over a single game was 91.1 MPH; compare that to this season where he's only topped that 3 times in 16 starts.  Even more troubling is that he's depended on both the fastball and changeup more this season compared to last despite this drop in velocity.  Pitching is what has kept the team competitive and if Sabathia struggles there aren't many other starters that can give them enough innings to prevent overworking the bullpen.

Yankees are going to need to make a trade if they want to do anything this year. At least try to get some young pieces for next year. Don't see it happening though.

^ bats are average, Tex needs surgery and pitching/bullpen is getting it down. CC has been inconsistent. We need a trade and need Jeter and Curtis back asap.

Who can we get??? I don't see anybody really out there.....

Maybe go after Justin Morneo since he's going to be a free agent at the end of the year and I doubt the Twins will resign him and would probably welcome the idea to get something for him.

I wouldn't give up too much for him though it would be a rent-a-player situation....

Haven't been as impressed with Kuroda these last few games.

Ichiro with a bomb. Nice to hit some HRs tonight.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/sto...tells-alex-rodriguez-new-york-yankees-shut-up
NEW YORK -- Livid over Alex Rodriguez's decision to tweet an update on his rehab process, Yankees general manager Brian Cashman had a message for the third baseman.

"You know what, when the Yankees want to announce something, [we will]," Cashman told ESPN New York. "Alex should just shut the f--- up. That's it. I'm going to call Alex now."
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Great walkoff last night.. I remember when Ichiro hit that walk off off Mariano back in 09. :rofl: at Cashman though. Dude is on his Bronx ****. A rod is bugging though for tweeting. His *** needs to be doing rehab and be happy if the Yanks even give his bumass bat some play this summer.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/sto...tells-alex-rodriguez-new-york-yankees-shut-up
[QUOTE url="[URL]http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/_/id/3115/alex-rodriguez[/URL]"]
NEW YORK -- Livid over Alex Rodriguez's decision to tweet an update on his rehab process, Yankees general manager Brian Cashman had a message for the third baseman.
"You know what, when the Yankees want to announce something, [we will]," Cashman told ESPN New York. "Alex should just shut the f--- up. That's it. I'm going to call Alex now."
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
[/quote]

I hope we never let Cashman go as the GM dude is awesome!!!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Last edited:
Cash was out of line. That's some dumb **** to say. Alex didn't NEED to tweet that but come on son. Very unprofessional by Cash to say he needs to shut the **** up.

Back
Top Bottom