2013 New York Yankees season thread Vol. (85-77) OFFSEASON

A-Rod 162 game suspension....

Please do not let Eduardo Nunez play 3B or anywhere for the Yankees next year.. PLEASE.

A-Rod is gonna be back whenever his suspension is over. Even if he has to limp around the bases and can only swing the bat with one hand he's not giving up the rest of the money of his contract. 

@Essential1  do you have a new spreadsheet with their projected payroll? I know that even if A-Rod is suspended for 162 games, around $3 mil of his contract still counts against their payroll. Some like Ken Rosenthal say that their payroll is around $185 mil and others like Verducci are saying its around $172 mil. And if most teams factor in $5 mil for minor league call ups wouldn't their goal be $184 mil and not $189 mil cause any call ups would send them over?

Don't know much about Sports Hochi in Japan or their credibility but according to them the Yankees, Dodgers, and Angels are favorites to get Tanaka. 

@Essential1
 do you have a new spreadsheet with their projected payroll? I know that even if A-Rod is suspended for 162 games, around $3 mil of his contract still counts against their payroll. Some like Ken Rosenthal say that their payroll is around $185 mil and others like Verducci are saying its around $172 mil. And if most teams factor in $5 mil for minor league call ups wouldn't their goal be $184 mil and not $189 mil cause any call ups would send them over?

I have it around 173, but that's not including any incentives that I have no idea about. It's probably somewhere in between.

If we go after Tanaka, and want to sign him, it will take around $20mil a year.

Last edited:
I think almost assuredly Tanaka would put us over the 189 limit. I also think that with all of the spending that already took place - Ellsbury, Mccann, Beltran, we've already abandoned trying to stay under. Unless we're moving Gardner and/or Ichiro

According to reports Tanaka is down to Yankees and Dodgers. His wife prefers the West Coast but it's not a given yet.

If the dodgers get him how much will their payroll be?? They have to be at a record setting number without him.... :x

Right now the Dodgers payroll is about $207 million according to baseball prospectus. Its been estimated that Kershaw will get between $18-20 million in arbitration, then  $4 mil for Jansen, $3 mil for AJ Ellis, and all other players getting $4 mil all together. So that would leave them at an estimated $236-238 million. And if they get Tanaka, it could be as much as $258 million. 

Last edited:
Unless the Yankees get an established 3B, the Johnson/Nunez platoon should be more than adequate. Getting a .265/20HR/70RBI from both of them combine should more than suffice. 

Unless the Yankees get an established 3B, the Johnson/Nunez platoon should be more than adequate. Getting a .265/20HR/70RBI from both of them combine should more than suffice. 
Suitable for what? A wild card loss? Then you would be right. But if we're looking for a WS, that will not fly.

Suitable for what? A wild card loss? Then you would be right. But if we're looking for a WS, that will not fly.
You dont need 25HRS 100RBI's from every position, look at the last 3 World Series Champions. Yankees have enough pop in their lineup to cover the inadequate offense at 2B and 3B.

Makes no sense why the Yanks didn't go after Reynolds. According to all the reports, he's signing a minor league deal with the Brewers. 

^ there were 5-6 teams after him. Yanks were one of them. He'll start at 1B if he goes to Mil Heyman said.

@Essential1
 do you have a new spreadsheet with their projected payroll? I know that even if A-Rod is suspended for 162 games, around $3 mil of his contract still counts against their payroll. Some like Ken Rosenthal say that their payroll is around $185 mil and others like Verducci are saying its around $172 mil. And if most teams factor in $5 mil for minor league call ups wouldn't their goal be $184 mil and not $189 mil cause any call ups would send them over?

This is what I have. Without incentives, and other things I have no idea about. Also includes guesses on arbitration by MLB Trade Rumors. I don't think it is 185, but it's probably half way between.

View media item 751353

One thing to note:

If we get Tanaka, no reason we shouldn't go after Balfour.. We'd already be over $189m. Might as well add another arm in the pen, which is still someone of significant value short (we've replaced everyone except Robertson in the 8th since he's now the closer) , regardless of if we make him the closer or the 8th inning guy.

Even if we don't get Tanaka (which god help me if the Dodgers pony up $20mil/year) , I think we need Balfour because we'd need to hide our weak rotation with a bullpen that can keep us ahead if we're up 7-5 going into the 6th.

Back to 3B:

Part of the reason I hate the idea of Kelly Johnson & Nunez platooning 3B is the lineup it will create... Healthy 1-6 is extremely good; Ellsbury, Jeter, Beltran, Soriano, Teix, McCann... But Brian Roberts leading into Johnson/Nunez is awful. I can handle one or the other. I favor Roberts, and have Johnson as the guy off the bench.

Also anyone who wants Nunez back please go jump out of a window. He's a horrendous fielder. Whenever anyone brings up his horrendous fielding, we are given the well he can swing a stick well. HE DOESN'T. And once Roberts gets injured, welcome Eduardo Nunez, your every day player.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom