2013 New York Yankees season thread Vol. (85-77) OFFSEASON

Was watching MLB Network today..

Garza is going to want 4 year - $60mil... What was said that it'd probably be less than $50mil if he gets a 4 year deal because of age, injuries and struggle.

Don't get me wrong, I do like this roster, at least better than Last Season's on Opening Day...

But I think Yankees are being too reluctant with their money... Since they agreed with Beltran

I'm fine with Ellsbury, Jeter, Beltran as our 1-3 that's great..

I wish we had a better cleanup hitter and Sori, Tex, McCann were pushed back to 5-7...

Brian Roberts at 8 or Kelly Johnson at 8 is fine.

Gardner at 9 and having it rotate back to Ellsbury is being way too underrated. I think that's going to help us with a lot of wins, because Gardner is going to get on base, which unlike your normal #9 is going to put pressure on the pitcher, and make mistakes to Ells. I think Ellsbury will hit 15-25HRs.

I like C.C. (who I think will bounce back), Kuroda, Nova... Pretty good 1-3. But that 4-5 is frighteningly thin. I'd love Tanaka just because he's a good pitcher, and will benefit being on the staff with Kuroda who can help him transition.. Same country, same league.. There's a lot Kuroda can teach him, and make him more successful.

But I'm not too sure on Pineda.. And I damn sure am not sure about Phelps.. Pineda has the stuff, but can he be healthy. And even if he is healthy, how good will his stuff translate. And if CC or Kuroda have a down year, we are in trouble.. That's why I think Garza would be nice.... Sure he'll be end of the rotation, he'll be getting paid way more than that type of guy should get, but it offers stability.

The bullpen; I love Kelly, love Claiborne.. Robertson isn't a closer. He is on the other hand the best 8th inning guy in the show. I feel like we are 3 arms away.. If Betances can be as good as we know he can be out the pen, then that solves one problem.. Thorton is no Boone, so that's a concern.. And we will be stuck with an inconsistent closer in Rodney.

Last edited:
^Reading what you wrote saying "I'd be fine with this lineup" is funny to me. 

Ellsbury

Jeter

Beltran

Soriano

Teixiera

McCann

-

Roberts

Gardner.....

.....is a freaking STACKED lineup no mater how you want to shake it.  I know you are used to having monsters in the middle of your order, bit if this lineup is healthy, there will be few better than it.

^Reading what you wrote saying "I'd be fine with this lineup" is funny to me. 

Ellsbury
Jeter
Beltran
Soriano
Teixiera
McCann
-
Roberts
Gardner.....

.....is a freaking STACKED lineup no mater how you want to shake it.  I know you are used to having monsters in the middle of your order, bit if this lineup is healthy, there will be few better than it.

No I agree with you....

If healthy it is great..

But 3 of the guys are injury risks (Jeter, Roberts, Gardner)
2 guys are liable for just awful year (Soriano, Tex)
Beltran will produce, but you have to expect the injury bug to be coming his way at some point.

No anchor in the middle of that lineup..

No I agree with you....

If healthy it is great..

Beltran will produce, but you have to expect the injury bug to be coming his way at some point.

with this lineup theres no need for an anchor its just about keeping the chain moving base hits an walks an long AB's

Garza is going to want 4 year - $60mil... What was said that it'd probably be less than $50mil if he gets a 4 year deal because of age, injuries and struggle.

Don't get me wrong, I do like this roster, at least better than Last Season's on Opening Day...

But I think Yankees are being too reluctant with their money... Since they agreed with Beltran

I wish we had a better cleanup hitter and Sori, Tex, McCann were pushed back to 5-7...

Gardner at 9 and having it rotate back to Ellsbury is being way too underrated. I think that's going to help us with a lot of wins, because Gardner is going to get on base, which unlike your normal #9 is going to put pressure on the pitcher, and make mistakes to Ells. I think Ellsbury will hit 15-25HRs.

I like C.C. (who I think will bounce back), Kuroda, Nova... Pretty good 1-3. But that 4-5 is frighteningly thin. I'd love Tanaka just because he's a good pitcher, and will benefit being on the staff with Kuroda who can help him transition.. Same country, same league.. There's a lot Kuroda can teach him, and make him more successful.

But I'm not too sure on Pineda.. And I damn sure am not sure about Phelps.. Pineda has the stuff, but can he be healthy. And even if he is healthy, how good will his stuff translate. And if CC or Kuroda have a down year, we are in trouble.. That's why I think Garza would be nice.... Sure he'll be end of the rotation, he'll be getting paid way more than that type of guy should get, but it offers stability.

The bullpen; I love Kelly, love Claiborne.. Robertson isn't a closer. He is on the other hand the best 8th inning guy in the show. I feel like we are 3 arms away.. If Betances can be as good as we know he can be out the pen, then that solves one problem.. Thorton is no Boone, so that's a concern.. And we will be stuck with an inconsistent closer in Rodney.
id give Garza 4/64 given how the market is shaping up to be on SPs

No I agree with you....

If healthy it is great..

with this lineup theres no need for an anchor its just about keeping the chain moving base hits an walks an long AB's

If healthy..

id give Garza 4/64 given how the market is shaping up to be on SPs

16mil a year

View media item 701806

I was more or less saying BG shouldn't be on it... One season he missed, that's all...

Last edited:

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/12/20/carlos-beltran-introduced-at-yankee-stadium/
NEW YORK (CBSNewYork/AP) — Carlos Beltran has been waiting to put on the pinstripes for some time now.

Fans got their first look at the second addition to New York’s revamped outfield when the Yankees introduced Beltran at a press conference Friday. Jacoby Ellsbury was introduced last week.

“Having the opportunity to come back again (to New York) really means a lot to me,” Beltran said on Friday. “I grew up being a Yankees fan. I grew up being a Bernie Williams fan. As a player — and first of all, as a fan — I used to look up to this organization. They always did what it takes to put good teams out there and win championships.”

The eight-time All-Star agreed to terms with the Yankees on Dec. 6. His three-year, $45 million contract was announced by the team Thursday.

“This is someone that has always wanted to be a Yankee,” general manager Brian Cashman said.

The 36-year-old played for the Mets from 2005-11, when he was dealt to San Francisco. He signed a $26 million, two-year contract with St. Louis before the 2012 season and reached the World Series for the first time this year.

“It’s gonna be fun, no doubt about it,” Beltran said. “I have good memories in Queens and all I have to say about the Mets is just a lot of good things. I was fortunate to play in a good organization, being able to be around good people. And you know, it’s gonna be different, no doubt about it. At the end of the day, we’re gonna go out, we’re gonna play, we’re gonna try to win.

“That’s our job as ballplayers. The reaction is gonna be different. Some are gonna cheer, some are gonna boo, but at the end of the day I’m there to play baseball.”

Slowed by knee injuries, Beltran has retained a potent bat — especially in October. He hit .296 with 24 homers and 84 RBIs for the Cardinals this year and added two homers and 15 RBIs in the postseason. Beltran injured his ribs in the World Series opener when he banged into Fenway Park’s right-fight fence while robbing Boston’s David Ortiz of a grand slam.

“To be able to add another switch-hitter to the middle of our order gives me so much flexibility,” manager Joe Girardi said.

He’s a .283 lifetime hitter with 358 homers and 1,327 RBIs.

“At one point I almost got the opportunity to sign with the Yankees and it didn’t work out,” Beltran said. “But at the end of the day, what is in the past is in the past. I’m just looking forward to joining this ballclub, looking forward to the challenges ahead.”

Beltran will wear No. 36, as he announced on Twitter and Instagram.

New York seems to have a logjam among outfielders on its roster, a group that includes Ellsbury, Brett Gardner, Ichiro Suzuki, Alfonso Soriano and Vernon Wells.

To open a roster spot, the Yankees designated right-hander Brett Marshall for assignment.

I thought Youk didnt want to come back to the Yankees because he wanted to be close to his family? Then he signs with a Japanese team. LOL

Some dudes arent meant to wear pinstripes and he was one of them.

Last edited:
Newark Star Ledger reported the Yanks would resolve SP internally if Ma Kun doesn't post.

Phelps, Pineda, Nuno. In the AL East. Good luck.

I believe and hope for the Pineda reclamation project.

I swear to god.. If I have to read about Yankees trading Gardner for a back-end starter again.. I'm going to flip... It is incredibly stupid... And by incredibly, it is possibly the worst move we could make..

I'd rather them go $4-5mil on some bum to be our #4 starter than trading what is such a dynamic duo between Gardner & Ellsbury...

Put your money on Tanaka and Balfour and stop being stupid Cashman.

They're trying to reset their tax number, can't entirely fault them for wanting to do that. Another 28 million paid in tax for a wild card team honestly benefits nobody. With the tax percent recent, that's more money available to throw around. I don't want us to sign a pitcher just for the sake of signing a pitcher that honestly has no real future here.

If they want to reset the tax should have never signed Ells for $21mil/ year, McCann $17mil /year, Beltran $15mil/year.. Or resign Kuroda for $16mil for a year.

Last edited:
All of those contracts are offset by expiring deals, i.e. Andy Pettitte's contract, Rivera's contract, and Cano's massive contract.

If they want to push over the top for Tanaka, I'm sure they will but Matt Garza, Ervin Santan of the worlds clearly aren't deemed worth it by Cashman and company. And I for one am entirely fine with it.

Back
Top Bottom