2013 New York Yankees season thread Vol. (85-77) OFFSEASON

Or they aren't trying to get stuck with an unnecessary year where the player won't be worth what they're paid

MLB is investigating Rnady Levine because he said he'd be willing to give an austin trout a 10 year contract
Mike Trout

the one thing I noticed from the Jacoby presser was that he is not very articulate and uses "umm" to the point of severe annoyance
laugh.gif
 can't be worse than Tebow

ready for mlb season though....

Should have given Infante an extra $2mil a year for the 3 years.. We offered 3/$24.... 3/$30 wouldn't have hurt.

7-8 in the order will be automatic outs

Last edited:
Might as well start Kelly Johnson at 2B.

Then go after Reynolds ($2mil) & Chavez ($3mil).... May be able to get both for Cheaper.. Just going on what Chavez signed for last year (albeit a discount).

Try to unload Ichiro for a low tier minor league prospect, try not to take any money back, cut Wells & sign Ibanez ($2mill) to be our 5th OF and Pinch Hitter...

Phelps and Pineda both on roster, one is the 5th starter, one is the Long Reliever...

Then you'll have about $24million to get your #4 starter, Lefty out the pen, and your closer to stay under $189.

Or you can just go Reynolds, Chavez, trade Ichiro for a throw away prospect, and use Zoilo Almonte as our 5th OF.. We'll have $26mil to fill the 3 holes in our pitching staff.

Last edited:
Essential1, do you think that Robertson can fill in as their closer or is he better suited as a set-up man?

Besides trading for Papelbum (which I don't think Cashman would even consider) or trading for Kimbrel; something ESPN is trying to start up saying that the Braves can't afford him much longer; quality relief pitchers are going at a premium and may not fit in their budget. I think they should take a look at Clippard or Storen from the Nationals and see if either are available. 

Essential1, do you think that Robertson can fill in as their closer or is he better suited as a set-up man?

Besides trading for Papelbum (which I don't think Cashman would even consider) or trading for Kimbrel; something ESPN is trying to start up saying that the Braves can't afford him much longer; quality relief pitchers are going at a premium and may not fit in their budget. I think they should take a look at Clippard or Storen from the Nationals and see if either are available. 

I think he could be a solid closer... But there is too much pressure on that job... DRob unlike Rafael Soriano is too good of a guy, and that stuff gets to him.. Rafael Soriano on the other hand gives no damns about anything.. That's why I thought he'd be the best replacement of Mo. Also DRob gets a lot of strikeouts, but he is overly strategic... That worries me because he'll throw a lot of 30 pitch innings in the 9th, and that's asking for trouble.

Also DRob is the best Set-up man in the league by far, I really hate messing with something someone has massive success in.

As long as we don't waste our time with Papelbon, any move we make is not the final choice.

Last edited:
I'd just spend on pitching at this point, can't go into the season w/ CC, Kuroda, Nova, Phelps, Pineda as the starting 5.

Also, I'll never understand why people wanted Cano to stay so badly, after he put on literally the worst string of playoff performances in the history of baseball a year ago. I never really forgave him for that 0-29, he was literally as bad as humanly possible. It was always weird to me how everyone blamed an injured ARod and gave Cano a pass. In any sport if someone without any exaggeration at all played almost 6 games in the playoffs worse than any women out on the street or inanimate objects lying the street itself, they'd never get a pass. Somehow Cano did, I just never understood that. If we pinch hit CC for Cano that year, we probably would've won at least one more game.

Can you imagine if Melo last year went more than 5 games without hitting a jump shot? Or Eli went more than 5 games without a TD? and this was the playoffs....

**** any thought of Papelbon. Because of who he is, and more importantly what his contract entails. No thanks.

-7-9 in the lineup needs to be addressed
-Another SP (we will finally get to see what Pineda can offer us)
-Bullpen/closer

Amish, he is the Best 2B in the league by far..... The best 2B in the past 15 years by far..

2011 he hit .318 with 2HRs 9RBIs in the playoffs
2010 .343 4 HRs 6RBIs

Your justification for not wanting him back was how he played in the 2012 Playoffs... Come on bro.. That's just grasping at straws for a reason not to sign him.

He had a bad ALDS as well that year, but he still led the team in RBIs for the series.

the 2012 ALCS
Teixiera .200
Russ Martin .143
A-Rod .111
Cano .056
Gardner .000
Granderson .000

We had 11 hits in the last 3 games of the ALCS.

Last edited:
**** any thought of Papelbon. Because of who he is, and more importantly what his contract entails. No thanks.

-7-9 in the lineup needs to be addressed
-Another SP (we will finally get to see what Pineda can offer us)
-Bullpen/closer

9 is Gardner... Wouldn't make sense to hit him after Ellsbury... Especially because it would mean Jeter would be our #3 hitter.... Kelly Johnson is going to be in the lineup, no way around it... Since we'll have 6 Lefties when we face a RHP, you have to go Righty at 3B... That means Reynolds.. Since Chavez isn't a full time guy, would make sense to sign him to rest Teix, Rest Reynolds..

Claiborne, Kelly, Betances, Robertson is pretty good, Claiborne and Kelly just hit a wall in July/August, but up until that point were huge for us having the best bullpen to All Star Break, after that we collapsed.... Just need that lefty arm, and a closer.

Last edited:
Amish, he is the Best 2B in the league by far..... The best 2B in the past 15 years by far..

2011 he hit .318 with 2HRs 9RBIs in the playoffs
2010 .343 4 HRs 6RBIs

Your justification for not wanting him back was how he played in the 2012 Playoffs... Come on bro.. That's just grasping at straws for a reason not to sign him.

He had a bad ALDS as well that year, but he still led the team in RBIs for the series.

I'm not doubting at all that he's probably the best 2b in the league, or that he doesn't have special talents or abilities. I was just saying I'm surprised he got a pass for that season, when people have been run out of NY and even smaller markets for doing way less.

In all honesty, I just couldn't be a fan of his after that streak, which is why I mentioned earlier in the thread that I'd only give him a lowball offer and move on. I'm sure by several valuation techniques one could probably justify a 200M contract (if you ignore ones like Pedroia and Wright as comps), but I just didn't like him after that. I'm sure to you and many others I could be speaking completely irrationally and shouldn't be holding a grudge for one bad month, and that would be fair, but his performance that series to me really ranks up there as one of the worst things any pro athlete's ever done for a team I'm a fan of, if it isn't actually the worst, and sometimes fans of a team are irrational and emotional.

I'm not saying he sucks, he's garbage, etc. I would never go that far, it's just that I couldn't like him after 2012 and don't understand why so many others ignore it and love him. That could be unfair of me, but fans, especially in NY, have hated players for doing way less than going 0-29. People can't forgive Charles Smith for not making a layup or John Starks for game 7, but Cano was probably more popular than ever before signing last wk. I just can't understand why Cano was so beloved even after what he did. It was literally 6 games of worthlessness when we needed him most.

Randy Levine says on ESPN Radio's Ian O'Connor Show that they have "no intention to move Brett Gardner".

Just sign Chavez & Reynolds... Then make a serious play at a #4 (stop waiting for Tanaka) and a closer (Balfour)

Back
Top Bottom