2013 New York Yankees season thread Vol. (85-77) OFFSEASON

Congrats to Yanks fans on landing Ma Kun. His wife wanted Dodgers, thought the Cubs might outbid the field with years and money.

It was a necessary play once Cashman publicly showed disinterest in Garza, Santana, Jiminez.

Bring in Balfour. 2 year $15mil gets it done. Did for O's.

Please Cash. Spend the Cash.
On record for hating him in New York as a closer, but setup man is suitable. Different pressure, different setting, different atmosphere overall.

Plus he's discounted after the failed O's move. Expect Tampa to try dumpster diving on him, Nats also conducting due diligence.

Robertson having to win the job in ST is fair. He's been shaky at times when called upon, but knowing it's his job to lose, I think he'll channel in and pitch well in the role.

:D

just hope he's good, can't wait ...
Fastball low to mid-90's, likened to Clemens. Scouts compared his splitter to Uehara and pinpoint control to Maddux, obviously slightly exaggerated. He's a top of the line #2, not an ace so CC will have to rebound in that role.

Embellished report but Yanks fans will like this. Ma Kun threw 160 pitches in Game 6 of the Japanese playoffs and asked for the ball in G7.

happy.gif

just hope he's good, can't wait ...
Fastball low to mid-90's, likened to Clemens. Scouts compared his splitter to Uehara and pinpoint control to Maddux, obviously slightly exaggerated. He's a top of the line #2, not an ace so CC will have to rebound in that role.

Embellished report but Yanks fans will like this. Ma Kun threw 160 pitches in Game 6 of the Japanese playoffs and asked for the ball in G7.
In regards to his splitter, I have read/heard that his splitter will be the best splitter in the Major Leagues, and will be widely considered one of baseball's best pitches.

Last edited:
In regards to his splitter, I have read/heard that his splitter will be the best splitter in the Major Leagues, and will be widely considered one of baseball's best pitches.
Even Schilling gave props in that regard.

Hit you with the fastball, splitter. Mixes in a slider. He's not like other Japanese pitchers who come to the States with a less refined repertoire of 8 different pitches.

Let me be clear, Ma Kun is not better than Darvish. Doesn't have the frame or same velocity on the FB. Tanaka is a top #2 whereas Yu is a clear ace with power stuff.

“I’m going there to win the World Series,” he said. “I can’t wait to get to the pitcher’s mound at Yankees Stadium.” - Tanaka

Ready :pimp: .

yeah definitely will be weird. at least i can start listening to Enter Sandman again. damn good song :lol:

I'm totally fine with Robertson trying to close. He has the stuff to be above average and do damage, and if it doesn't work out then we can try and make a deal.

I'm of the belief that a closer is not a position you should break the bank for. They all downturn eventually or fall flat on their face.

So long as Eduardo Nunez doesn't play :D

No Balfour :frown:

No idea what they plan on doing for the 8th inning, or if DRob can't close.

Makes sense, there is an even greater importance being placed on infield defense with Tanaka bringing that sinker/splitter to NYS.

Last edited:
Still bugs me that we didn't go with more money for Cano. I get not giving 10/240. That makes no sense. But why not 7/200.

And still make all the moves we did. Exception of Brian Roberts who would be unnecessary.

We all knew damn well $189m was not going to happen. I think that's part of the reason they never budged on the offer because they felt well at $24mil, we can add Tanaka, a cheaper 4th OF and stay under $189m.

Last edited:
Still bugs me that we didn't go with more money for Cano. I get not giving 10/240. That makes no sense. But why not 7/200.

And still make all the moves we did. Exception of Brian Roberts who would be unnecessary.

We all knew damn well $189m was not going to happen. I think that's part of the reason they never budged on the offer because they felt well at $24mil, we can add Tanaka, a cheaper 4th OF and stay under $189m.
If you'd like to check out a quick piece I wrote on Ma Kun.

http://realestsportstalk.wordpress.com/2014/01/24/hiros-welcome/

Cano still woudl've been in Seattle tho... He wanted the most money he could get and I don't begrudge him its a business at the end of the day...

^ At the same time we didn't make it close. If we're offering 7 at $29mil per compared to 10 $24mil per, it's a tougher decision than 7 $24mil per versus 10 $24mil per.

I'm not mad at him either, I just think not budging on the money was a problem.

Back
Top Bottom