2013 New York Yankees season thread Vol. (85-77) OFFSEASON

That's why Forsythe would make a great addition. Can't hit righties but Johnson rakes them and he hits lefties pretty well. Decent fielder at 3rd but plays almost every other position.

Yanks are standing by "no major league contracts for any infielder they sign" so there's that.

^ He's not much of a better hitter than Nunez as it appears (this is just a quick look, hopefully more advanced stats prove that wrong).

Maybe it might be better to wait. Get Tanaka, Balfour squared away. Then make a decision without Plan 189 hanging over their head.

I'm not asking for a 20 homerun guy. I just want a guy who can hit for a decent average, and wouldn't strike out over 100 times if he was an everyday player.

Last edited:
The Yankees hope to address shortly a non-Rodriguez matter, Steinbrenner indicated. With former manager Joe Torre set to be inducted into the Hall of Fame in July, the Yankees appear poised to use that milestone to retire the numbers of not just Torre, but some of those who played under him. "We’re going to figure out just who. He may not be the only one," Steinbrenner said. "We haven’t gotten into it yet."

Jeter #2
Torre #6
Posada #20
O'Neill #21
Pettitte #46
Williams #51

Rivera's number is already retired. Who do you retire?

Jeter and Torre seem like the definite. Would mean there would never be a single digit Yankee ever again.

Easily can see Posada & Pettitte getting their number retired. Seems like a travesty if Bernie doesn't. Leaves Paulie. He likely gets left out. I just can't see any one of those guys except Paulie getting left out for legitimate reasons. And I love Paul O'Neill

Last edited:
Updated 12:14 pm

Shawn Kelly avoided arbitration $1,750,000 ($250K over MLB Trade Rumors thought he'd get in arbitration)
Brett Gardner avoided arbitration $5,600,000 ($1.6mil over MLB Trade Rumors projection)

View media item 751699

Besides trying to get Tanaka, I don't really see them making any other major moves. At least until the middle or end of spring training. Right now I think they're content with a platoon at 3rd and Roberts at 2nd. Spring training is gonna be real interesting. I can see them really pushing prospects to see what they have. Wouldn't be shocked if they try moving Tyler Austin back to 3rd and giving him a look. But if they're struggling half way through, I see them making moves.

Updated 1:34pm Robertson & Re-do of Kelly who was slightly more than originally reported

I'm going by just the salary this year, if you go by Average Annual Value, which apparently is how luxury tax is calculated it is around $185, not sure where the $10mil comes from.

View media item 751818

Last edited:
Besides trying to get Tanaka, I don't really see them making any other major moves. At least until the middle or end of spring training. Right now I think they're content with a platoon at 3rd and Roberts at 2nd. Spring training is gonna be real interesting. I can see them really pushing prospects to see what they have. Wouldn't be shocked if they try moving Tyler Austin back to 3rd and giving him a look. But if they're struggling half way through, I see them making moves.

Only move at that point would be trading Gardner, unless we can find a team that wants to unload a good 3B for an expiring contract in Ichiro.

We need another bullpen arm as well, and not some cheap guy. We need a top notch bullpen arm.

Even by doing AAV your numbers are close. The only difference I've seen is CC is listed as $24.4 million using AAV while other places have him as $23.3 million, Teixeira is at $22.5 million, and Soriano is at $4 million.  As far as the $10 million, I think a lot of places are adding in the $10-11 million that every team is charged for insurance and pensions. 

Tanaka is a Yankee :pimp: . Had to be done.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/sto...ork-yankees-agree-seven-year-155-million-deal

Masahiro Tanaka has decided to sign with the New York Yankees, a source confirmed to ESPN's Buster Olney.

Tanaka's deal with the Yankees is worth $155 million over seven years and includes an opt-out clause after the fourth year, according to the source.

Tanaka, 25, went 24-0 with a 1.27 ERA in the Japanese League last season and is considered by many to be a top-of-the-rotation starter.

Under new rules set this offseason, the Yankees also owe a $20 million posting fee to the Rakuten Golden Eagles, Tanaka's team in Japan. The right-hander was still under contract with the Eagles for two more years.

Tanaka will join a revamped roster with the Yankees, who also have signed outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury, catcher Brian McCann and slugger Carlos Beltran to lucrative contracts this offseason.

New York, which missed the postseason for just the second time since 1995 this past year, added some much-needed talent to its starting rotation, which previously had been led by aging veterans CC Sabathia and Hiroki Kuroda.

Tanaka and agent Casey Close had until a deadline of 5 p.m. ET on Friday to have a contract and physical completed with the ace pitcher's new team.

Tanaka is 99-35 with a 2.30 ERA and 1,238 strikeouts in 175 games for Rakuten since 2007. He has 53 complete games, including 18 shutouts.

I still think we are the Wild Card team. Since we are now over the luxury with no chance to get under. It's time to complete the bullpen, which will bring us neck and neck with Boston. We still have a HUGE hole in our bullpen.

SP1- C.C. Sabathia
SP2- Hiroki Kuroda
SP3 - Masahiro Tanaka
SP4- Ivan Nova
SP5 - Michael Pineda

Spot Starter - David Phelps
MRP - Preston Claiborne
MRP - Shawn Kelly
MRP - Dellin Betances (Really hope they give him a shot. Everyone knows my opinion, if he can spot his offspeed stuff, he's unhittable)
LRP - Matt Thornton
SU - ?????
Closer - David Robertson

Projected Lineup:
1- CF - Jacoby Ellsbury
2- SS - Derek Jeter
3- RF - Carlos Beltran
4- DH -Alfonso Soriano
5 -C - Brian McCann
6- 1B - Mark Teixeira
7- 2B - Brian Roberts
8- 3B - ???????
9- LF - Brett Gardner

Bench:
C - Francisco Cervelli
SS - Brendan Ryan
2B/3B - Kelly Johnson
OF - Ichiro Suzuki

That puts us at 24.

Have to fill a setup man, who can easily move into the closer spot if DRob can't handle the pressure. I want Balfour. Also to spite Baltimore and stick it to Showalter one more time for being so bitter. If not, I'd settle for Rodney. I still am upset we didn't keep Rafael Soriano.

We don't need a GREAT 3B, but we can't have bums either. Playing Nunez is a terrible mistake. I wouldn't mind Kelly at 3B, but we need a really good backup at 3B if that's the direction we're going. Also one injury between Jeter or Roberts sends us into a tailspin.

I love Ichiro as a backup, but if he can get us a good 3B, I trade him, and bring up Zolio, who I think could play well. The other 22 guys, I will not trade, NO to trading Soriano, Hell No to trading Gardner.

Last edited:
Now that they've blown past $189 mil, they might as well go out and find a good reliever like Balfour, Rodney, etc to compete with Robertson.  Or if the Nationals sign Balfour like many expect now, they could make a push for Storen.

It's really too bad about the Yankees' facial hair rule.  I really think that Brian Wilson was the obvious answer for you guys at closer this year, but your organization is not willing to bend on their rules.  Too bad.

would brian wilson bend his own personal grooming preferences to be a yankee? or no chance?

he should come to boston :lol:

^ he already said hell no.

It's really too bad about the Yankees' facial hair rule.  I really think that Brian Wilson was the obvious answer for you guys at closer this year, but your organization is not willing to bend on their rules.  Too bad.

I love the rule. If he rather have a foolish beard than be in pinstripes, goodbye

Cashman said Robertson is the "odds-on favorite" to be the closer but he's gonna have to win the job in spring training. Unless they bring in another closer or set-up man who is he competing with?

Back
Top Bottom