2013 College Football Thread (Realer than Real Deal Holyfield -->S/O Craftsy)

USC fined for deflating footballs during game against Oregon

http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon/2012/11/08/usc-fined-deflated-game-balls/1691303/

7:15AM EST November 8. 2012 - USC has been fined and reprimanded by the Pac-12 after it was discovered that one of the Trojans' student managers had intentionally deflated game balls during the first half of Saturday's loss to Oregon.

There are several things wrong with taking game balls below their normal, NCAA-regulated levels – there's a reason the NCAA and its officials keeps close tabs on the amount of air in the game-used footballs.

"Game officials discovered and re-inflated three of the balls before the game and two others at halftime. All balls were regulation in the second half," read a statement from USC.

"When informed of this allegation by the Pac-12, USC investigated it immediately. The student manager confirmed that he had, without the knowledge of, or instruction from, any USC student-athlete, coach, staff member or administrator, deflated those game balls after they had been tested and approved by officials prior to the game."

DUCKS: Should Oregon worry about BCS history?

Quite simply, and as you might think, a slightly deflated football is easier to grip. As a result, a football that's easier to grip is easier to throw, catch and hold. A football that's easier to throw, catch and hold is often a football that ends up getting spiked in the end zone.

Another thing to consider is the fact that college teams use their own football, meaning that in Saturday night's game, Oregon had its own set of footballs on offense and USC its own set. So, theoretically, a team could deflate its own footballs very slightly and not worry about the opposing offense catching on when it had possession.

As you can see in USC's statement, however, officials did notice that the Trojans' footballs were not fully inflated. Based on what USC has said, two footballs used during the first half did not fit to NCAA regulations. In the second half, however, when Oregon pulled away, every football the Trojans used fit into NCAA guidelines.

But in a general sense – just taking USC out of the equation – there are few college-football tricks more duplicitous and underhanded than tampering with the football itself. While USC attests that Lane Kiffin, his staff and the roster had no knowledge of the student manager's deflating tactics, the act reflects very poorly on the entire football program.

JERSEY SWAP: USC changes jerseys against Colorado

A month ago, Kiffin and USC came under scrutiny for a jersey-switching episode during a win over Colorado.

USC changed backup quarterback Cody Kessler's number from 6 to 35 before a game against the Buffaloes on Oct. 20, with No. 35 the same jersey number as punter Kyle Negrete. Kessler was then used on a two-point conversion in the first half while wearing No. 35 before moving back to No. 6 for the second half.

The NCAA rulebook says the following about swapping jersey numbers: "Numbers shall not be changed during the game to deceive opponents." A team caught doing so will be assessed a 15-yard penalty and "flagrant offenders shall be disqualified."

USC has said that since the jersey was switched before the game, it does not represent a violation of NCAA game rules.

But between the jersey switch, the deflated game balls and USC's disappointing year on the field, you have to wonder what athletic director Pat Haden thinks of the work Kiffin and his staff have put in during the 2012 season.

Trying to cheat, eh? Shock me, this does not.

I'm more interested in seeing how Malena does than I am C-Mike. I also want to see Trey Williams get more involved on some screen passes out of the backfield, so hopefully that's a wrinkle that Kingsbury hasn't shown yet.

Honestly, I'll be happy if we can stay within 14 points. For a team that won't be able to compete in the SEC, I'd be pretty content with a 9-3 record with losses to three top 7 teams. We can focus on starting to win those big games in a couple of years when Sumlin starts to get his guys in here.

That whole deflated football thing happens at a lot of schools. TAMU used to do the same thing for McGee.

I have a hard time believing this manager did it on his own without the coaches knowing though.

Gunna didn't you say last season that SC would get stomped in Autzen? I realize that doesn't exactly equal Oregon being more talented but SC wins that game and all of a sudden it DOESN'T equal Kiffin outcoaching someone? And you're gonna argue that lamike and half those dudes couldn't have played in another offense? Would you have rather had LMJ or Marc Tyler?

We had a talented team but they were young. Oregon had a ton of experience a more highly touted coach and the best home field advantage in the conference.

Gunna didn't you say last season that SC would get stomped in Autzen? I realize that doesn't exactly equal Oregon being more talented but SC wins that game and all of a sudden it DOESN'T equal Kiffin outcoaching someone? And you're gonna argue that lamike and half those dudes couldn't have played in another offense? Would you have rather had LMJ or Marc Tyler?
We had a talented team but they were young. Oregon had a ton of experience a more highly touted coach and the best home field advantage in the conference.

It all boils down to Kiffin having only one quality win in his career. USC beat Oregon last year. It's old news. Move on. Live in the now.

I'm on my phone so bear with me...

Talent is kids who can play in any system and thrive.
that entire Oregon offense could play in no other offense accept that spread/read option
USC was clearly more talented ESP when you throw Defense in there.

Does that even apply in college football? My opinion, I don't think so. Great teams trump good talent. We are seeing that with KState this year and Oregon since Chip took over.

Chip doesn't look at star ratings outside of the skill positions. He looks for kids that are perfect for his system.

They don't have a lot if guys that can play and thrive in any system they have guys that are PERFECT for the system that Chip Kelly runs.

The term "talented" is subjective especially in CFB. Oregon was more talented and a better team last year compared to USC.

Chip Kelly's spread exploits a weak front four. Last year there was senior talent on that front four, this year there is talent but a lot if inexperience.

No secret, it's hard to prepare for Oregon. However give a good team more than two weeks and it's usually detrimental for the Ducks.

It all boils down to Kiffin having only one quality win in his career. USC beat Oregon last year. It's old news. Move on. Live in the now.

Question was thrown out there, but I get the mentality when that's all you got.

Anyway, the whole ball situation, :lol:. Just another stupid distraction and fodder for the lowest common denominator. They will eat it up.

I'm on my phone so bear with me...
Does that even apply in college football? My opinion, I don't think so. Great teams trump good talent. We are seeing that with KState this year and Oregon since Chip took over.
Chip doesn't look at star ratings outside of the skill positions. He looks for kids that are perfect for his system.
They don't have a lot if guys that can play and thrive in any system they have guys that are PERFECT for the system that Chip Kelly runs.
The term "talented" is subjective especially in CFB. Oregon was more talented and a better team last year compared to USC.
Chip Kelly's spread exploits a weak front four. Last year there was senior talent on that front four, this year there is talent but a lot if inexperience.
No secret, it's hard to prepare for Oregon. However give a good team more than two weeks and it's usually detrimental for the Ducks.
Question was thrown out there, but I get the mentality when that's all you got.
Anyway, the whole ball situation, :lol:. Just another stupid distraction and fodder for the lowest common denominator. They will eat it up.

I guess I'm a little fatigued with the discussion

Think Nkemdiche doesn't make his committment to Ole Miss public until this whole race riot deal dies down..idk why but for some reason I think he ends up @ Bama

That whole deflated football thing happens at a lot of schools. TAMU used to do the same thing for McGee.
I have a hard time believing this manager did it on his own without the coaches knowing though.

This

and they still lost :smh:

nmxjbb.jpg

:lol: I know I already said it, but do you think Florida St wins tonight dre?

My 5Dimes account is wondering. Just worried about a hypothetical concussion causing Logan Thomas to actually hit an open man.

Last edited:
Alright yeah that's what I thought, but just didn't know if you had a random hunch or lurking feeling that it'd be an upset or something. Thanks

Alright yeah that's what I thought, but just didn't know if you had a random hunch or lurking feeling that it'd be an upset or something. Thanks

Thursday night so there is always a chance. But I don't see it.

Would take FSU ******** their pants like they did in the 2nd half vs NCSU again.

:lol: at that gif.

There are multiple reports out of Auburn this afternoon that Auburn president Jay Gogue has informed members of the Board of Trustees that he is preparing to fire head coach Gene Chizik. Sources tell auburn.247sports.com (pay link) that Auburn plans to remove Chizik and hire a new coach “within days after the end of the season should the decision be made that Chizik will not be retained.”
The only potential candidate the site lists is Louisville offensive coordinator Shawn Watson.
The news comes less than 24 hours after Bobby Petrino Sr. told the media that his son was interested in the Kentucky job and that “his life’s goal was to go to the SEC.”
Interesting timing…

Back
Top Bottom