2013 College Football Thread (Realer than Real Deal Holyfield -->S/O Craftsy)

Cato and that TE they had last year won me big money one weekend in a fanduel fantasy contest. Put up monster stats. Came in like 2nd place, won 1200.

ever since then ive been rooting for them :pimp:

Last edited:

Marshall is in CUSA.  If they are going to lose a game this season it's probably going to be to UTSA in the CUSA title game.  Coker's squad returns 20 starters and has 38 seniors. 

BGSU is going to be a fun squad to watch this year too with Dino Babers (former Baylor assistant) there this season.  Wouldn't be surprised if he's 1 and done there and ends up getting the Illinois job after Beckman gets fired.  
good call......didn't think about them since I didn't see them on the schedule but in a championship game they can really give Marshall a run for their money 

What's the word on Anthony McKee? He's out of the Columbus area and doesn't want to go to OSU because of the stacked depth chart. Looking at Michigan State and Cuse among schools.

What's the word on Anthony McKee? He's out of the Columbus area and doesn't want to go to OSU because of the stacked depth chart. Looking at Michigan State and Cuse among schools.
MSU,Purdue,OK,PITT,TENN,WISC,UK,Minnesota,IU,CUSE are his top 10 according to PITT.Rivals

He doesn't have an OSU offer, but I heard if they offer they would be one of his top schools

Last edited:

According to Payne, the incident occurred when Bethel attempted to block a shot by Battle and committed a foul during the basketball game at TTU's recreational center.

"As Bethel turned to go back down the court, Battle swung and punched Bethel in the head," Payne said. "Bethel's body language showed he had been struck, and he immediately turned toward Battle and struck her with his right hand on the left side of her face."

Payne said there was no additional fighting beyond Bethel's punch and that reports that Battle suffered a broken jaw were incorrect.
http://espn.go.com/college-football...exas-tech-cornerback-not-face-assault-charges

According to Payne, the incident occurred when Bethel attempted to block a shot by Battle and committed a foul during the basketball game at TTU's recreational center.

"As Bethel turned to go back down the court, Battle swung and punched Bethel in the head," Payne said. "Bethel's body language showed he had been struck, and he immediately turned toward Battle and struck her with his right hand on the left side of her face."

Payne said there was no additional fighting beyond Bethel's punch and that reports that Battle suffered a broken jaw were incorrect.
http://espn.go.com/college-football...exas-tech-cornerback-not-face-assault-charges

well damn..talk about a total 180 on the situation. poor kid lol had to deal with mad bs for weeks im sure

Here's a post from Bethel's lawyer on a TT message board. 

Guys, I've been on RP for a long time. I don't post much and I usually never take my clients cases public. This one however required him being cleared, not only by the GJ, but also by the court of public opinion. I am praying Tech takes him back, but I doubt it. I do, however, believe this might clear the way for him to get into another school and get his education. I write this post because I respect many of you on the board, even though I don't know you. Forgive some of the typos, it's been a long day. And Pit, do I get a check for this story?

The first thing Nigel told me when he came to see me was that he just wanted to go to school. That said a LOT to me. He didn't mention revenge against Ms. Battle or football. He is a good kid. Respectful, has no criminal history and has been a great client. Did everything I asked. His high school coaches all talked about his work ethic and character. Plus, he's fast and a good football player.

The undisputed facts from the video and from the reports show that Amber Battle was not truthful with the police in her initial statement. Further, in her sworn statement she was untruthful. The "Eyewitness" was flat wrong (which shows you how much we should trust eyewitness testimony sometimes).

It all happened in a split second. They came down for a rebound, he's behind her and she's in better position, he had slightly fouled her arm, but his arms are straight up in the air when she gets the ball, he turns to go down the Court and she throws a haymaker at the side of his head. Hits him behind the ear. He turns immediately and takes a step towards her a throws a punch at the same time he is stepping. He kind of lets up and the punch could have been MUCH harder. He turns to walk away and you can tell he regrets it immediately. Let me be clear, he should not have punched her and he did. If it had been a couple of us guys at the rec (I was there from 92-96) it would have gone no further. If Amber Battle had told the truth, it would have gone no further. Heck, she didn't even report it, her coaches did.

That was it. Two punches. All happened in less than two seconds and it was over. She suffered from a comminuted fracture of the left zygomatic arch. Described as non-emergency and may not require surgery. At this point, it probably won't.

The whole story is the video and what tall tales she told the police. She was the clear aggressor towards Nigel and other players the entire game. At one point, 8 minutes before "the incident", Battle is seen in the video shoving Bethel to the ground after a foul when he attempted to get up. He just went back to playing basketball. Four minutes later she takes a guy down who's going for a layup.

His instinctive reaction and his punch to her face is not to be excused. No one, including Nigel, is trying to condone that. But the cause of action was real and his reaction, although wrong, does NOT justify the University's improper and hasty response. You can even see in the video that the punch is pulled back. Couldn't have been worse luck for the kid. A hair higher and she doesn't even get a bruise.

In less than 48 hours Nigel was released from his scholarship, kicked out of school without a penny to his name, and probably, at that point, denied any opportunity he may have to gain a higher education and improve his life. Ms. Battle? She received a one month suspension from playing basketball. The same Amber Battle who lied to the police in her initial report and lied in her sworn statement (perjury), then later apologized to Nigel and the University for “instigating” the incident. OnIy it wasn't an instigation, it was an assault.

In the initial police investigation, Ms. Battle stated that Nigel would shove her or hit her on every play up and down the court. The evidence shows this was not true. She stated at one point that Nigel knocked her out of bounds on a loose ball when the evidence shows that she was the one who shoved him and others down on more than one occasion. She also initially told police that she simply walked up behind Nigel and he turned and struck her in the face after he had committed a foul. All of this was false, as were the reports coming out concerning the incident. As stated Ms. Battle did not suffer a broken jaw. This whole incident was tragic and yet blown well out of proportion.

This is not fair. This is not right and the Grand Jury thought so little of the incident that they DID write a letter to Hocutt as well as no-billed the case. In a condensed version, the letter was addressed to Hocutt that stated:

"We believe he was unduly and prematurely punished. This was an unfortunate incident in a pick-up basketball game. This is a matter that should not result in criminal charges for either party. We approve of the accountability Texas Tech's athletic department placed upon the student athletes. Any assault does deserve immediate action, however, please ensure all testimonies, evidence and circumstances are reviewed prior to taking action which may forever alter a person's future. The well-being and character of student-athletes at Texas Tech is obviously of utmost importance. We desire to see Mr. Bethel reinstated......" If he is not reinstated, a public exoneration of his character on the part of TTU should be forthcoming, since Mr. Bethel's future opportunities for an education as well as an athletic career have been jeopardized."

Nigel Bethel should have been reinstated by Texas Tech the moment they saw the evidence and heard the "rest of the story". Or at the very least, Texas Tech should have stood by their “ZERO TOLERANCE” policy and removed both athletes from their scholarship. And better yet, implemented a policy that says if you commit a crime, any crime, you will be booted. Because, as the ZERO TOLERANCE policy now stands, it appears that you can DWI, fight, use dope, steal, MIP, PI, and all the other stupid things that students and student-athletes do, but you can't react instinctively (even though they train you to be aggressive instinctively) when someone assaults you from behind and punches you in the head.

Nigel Bethel committed to Texas Tech. He wanted his degree from my beloved University. He wanted to play for the Scarlet and the Black. He still does. I hope Tech stands by their statement that "From here it's possible".

I just thought you guys should know my thoughts and what the police reports and video shows. Feel free to agree or disagree. As JTechD stated, you might not want to believe the lawyer.

So he still punched a woman?

Regardless of how or why, he punched a female?

I guess it's better than the original story, but he still swung on her, that's still a life sentence as a woman beater.

She lied, that's dumb on her part and she should be punished, but he struck a female, and admits it. Not sure what really changes.

I guess it's better than the original story, but he still swung on her, that's still a life sentence as a woman beater.

She lied, that's dumb on her part and she should be punished, but he struck a female, and admits it. Not sure what really changes.

but it seems he got hit and before he even looked to see who it was his natural reaction was to swing back. Smart? no but he didnt know it was her. she probably hit like a grown man

Seems like she is more important to the basketball team than he is/was to the football team, otherwise why wasn't she kicked outta school as well?

Selective zero tolerance.

And speaking of CUSA why is southern miss so bad now? They were super consistent up until Fedora left.

If what his lawyer says is true, and there is evidence of everything that allegedly happened in that game on video.  Then they should both get kicked out of school.  Him for hitting a woman, and her for hitting him, instigating the situation, and lying about what actually happened. 

He should give up on trying to get reinstated and go to another school.  There might even be chance he can get a run off waiver and play this year. 

You're harsh on Bethel. No reason or excuse to hit a woman, but you can't ignore her initiating strong violence and then lying to cover it up. Damaging on her character as a perceived victim.

You're harsh on Bethel. No reason or excuse to hit a woman, but you can't ignore her initiating strong violence and then lying to cover it up. Damaging on her character as a perceived victim.
Yea, he's still morally wrong for hitting her. She initiated the contact and lied about it, which resulted in her coaches getting the kid kicked out of school immediately. 

Yea, he's still morally wrong for hitting her. She initiated the contact and lied about it, which resulted in her coaches getting the kid kicked out of school immediately. 
And if you believe his attorney, Bethel was instantly regretful and showed remorse. Didn't escalate the situation beyond the lone punch. Hasn't shown resentment or desire for revenge despite Battle essentially ruining his future.

Back
Top Bottom