2013-2014 NBA Thread - IND @ WAS and OKC @ LAC on ESPN

Status
Not open for further replies.
That pick they traded to Philly is top 3 protected right?

5?

they probably sending the Sixers like the 11th pick which probly wont be a star player anyway

Players that landed in the 10-15 range since 2005:

05-Andrew Bynum
06-JJ Redick
07-Thadeus Young
08-Brook Lopez
09-Brandon Jennings
10-Paul George
11-Klay Thompson/Kawhi Leonard
12-Jeremy Lamb
13-MCW/Greek Freak

As you can see there is definitely star power in that range if strike right
You can make that list outta alotta draft positions, doesnt mean anything cuz its all luck anyway once you out of the top 3-5 prospects

Ehhh maybe 10 years ago it was all luck, but now if you have the right scouts you can draft right. I refuse to believe drafting outside the top 5 is all luck.
All luck was the wrong choice of words, i would give it like 60/40 in terms of luck to scouting in that range...I was trying to say that it wasnt too bad trading a pick in that range for the Pelicans, since they top 5 protected it the only thing that really hurts them is passing on Nerlens

you got to be able to evaluate talent. there's gms like larry bird who knows how to pluck them and then there's mj and david kahn >D

There is some luck involved though. Simply because you've never really seen the players you're scouting in an NBA setting consistently. So from that standpoint alone, you don't know how players are going to pan out. You can gather all of the data you want on a particular player, but until he actually plays in the league then you don't really know you're just making very educated guesses essentially.

However, certain things done on the amateur ranks do tend to translate well to the NBA. So if you're scouting someone, and they show certain skills, then that's a fair barometer to use to kind of see how well they do in the pros. I.e. getting to the line, rebounding, ability to put the ball on the floor and create a shot, footwork, and some other traits.

At the end of the day, give me the guy that can carry my team on the offensive end. We will rely on team defense to get stops

The Warriors should trade Klay

srs
its real easy to say "they should trade ______"
laugh.gif

who would you get in return for Klay?
THIS.

@Nelson999  

but I will say the idea that Anthony Davis is some poor offensive player is also silly, they have a top 10 offense, he's an incredible finisher on the pick and roll, great offensive rebounder, the idea that great offensive players are only guys who break guys down in one on one is why guys like Kyrie "Hot Sauce" Irving get overrated.

Anthony Davis blocks a lot of shots and will be a top 5 player in the league in due time but right now he hasn't figured out how to apply his skill towards winning baskeball.

he is the anchor of a bottom 3 defense, the team is only 3 points worse when he's off the court, there really any metric that has Anthony Davis as an elite defender, the idea that he's the best power forward in the league is quite frankly ridiculous.

His lack of defensive impact could be due to Monty Williams scheme.

Dirk and Kevin Love are clearly better. BG, LMA are debatable but likely better if im being honest.
Duncan is clearly better as well. GOAT PF, and the guy is still tearing it up

I don't know how people start running with these opinions. It was coming up earlier with Demarcus Cousins too, and I'll say what I said then: The best big man in the league will never be found on a bottomfeeder team.. ever. It's not possible. If you're really THAT dominant, at the most important position in basketball, and you are surrounded by 12 other NBA players, your team won't suck.

Last edited:
Anthony Davis is good (going to be great) and i like the kid a lot, but the only reason he got that All-Star injury replacement over Cousins is because he plays in NoLa and the ASG is in NoLa.

4 less minutes per game and still putting up better numbers. And neither of them play for a winning team so that argument doesn't apply 

Last edited:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1952142-do-brooklyn-nets-need-a-trade-before-the-deadline

The Brooklyn Nets have turned their season around, but if they want to make an NBA Finals run, their roster needs an upgrade.

As the Nets are currently structured, it isn't likely they will be able to advance past the Miami Heat or Indiana Pacers.

According to Charles Barkley, via Mike Mazzeo of ESPNNewYork.com, in regards to the Nets, "I don’t think they’re any good at all...you only got two teams in the East: you got the Heat and you got the Pacers. I actually think probably the Washington Wizards are the third best team in the Eastern Conference."

For Brooklyn to advance past the Heat or Pacers, its roster will need to be tweaked by the trade deadline (Feb. 20).

Necessary Upgrade

The Nets need to add another point guard to their roster.

With Deron Williams having an injury plagued season—and his best days behind him, according to Barkley, Shaun Livingston has had to play more minutes than he should when considering his own history of being injury prone.

Throughout the month of January, Williams missed five games, and Livingston averaged 29.7 MPG, including a 51-minute outing against the Heat (Jan. 10). Livingston has been consistent for the Nets, but if he is sidelined for a significant period of time, the next best playmaker is Marquis Teague, and things could get ugly.

Teague is talented, but he hasn't come close to reaching his potential in his young NBA career: he has a long ways to go before becoming a consistent contributor at the 1.

Since Brooklyn received a $5.25 million Disabled Player Exception for Brook Lopez, there are a few players that can be acquired without removing any of the key components to the Nets' resurgence. The trade exception, plus a draft pick could be enough to land Ramon Sessions, Greivis Vasquez, Jimmer Fredette or Patty Mills.

Each one of those guards is an upgrade over Teague, and would provide Brooklyn with an insurance policy if Williams or Livingston succumb to injury.

Most Valuable Asset

It's in Brooklyn's best interest to move on from Lopez.
Despite his season-ending injury, Lopez may still be the Nets' best asset not named Deron Williams.

It's difficult stomaching the loss of a player of Lopez's caliber—especially on offense—but with his chronic foot problems, it may be in Brooklyn's best interest to cash in before Lopez further damages his value.

At the moment, Nets General Manager Billy King could find a few suitors willing to gamble on Lopez's health and potential. A team like the Cleveland Cavaliers may be willing to part ways with Jarrett Jack and Anderson Varejao in exchange for the injured center.

Adding Varejao provides Brooklyn with a big body on a reasonable contract capable of averaging a double-double nightly, and the addition of Jack would fortify their vulnerability at the 1.

The Phoenix Suns could be another potential suitor with the young talent and draft picks they have at their disposal. The ideal deal would be Eric Bledsoe and Emeka Okafor for Lopez, but if that can't be done, a combination of Miles Plumlee or Alex Len, and Archie Goodwin and a first round draft pick, would suffice.

The Nets could be a darkhorse threat in the playoffs, but the roster as-is, isn't enough to propel them past the two best teams in the Eastern Conference. Moving Brook Lopez may be the key to fulfilling the championship dreams echoed in the offseason.

With that said Anthony Davis deserves to be in over Cousins, everything I said about AD goes double for Cousins.

Show me a successful team with a center who is dog **** on defense, he's fun to watch, but untill he smartens up on D or get a power forward who can both space the floor and protect the rims (Adrien Payne???) he likley wont impact winning in a way his physical profile says that he should.

Anthony Davis is good (going to be great) and i like the kid a lot, but the only reason he got that All-Star injury replacement over Cousins is because he plays in NoLa and the ASG is in NoLa
Man get outta here with that, you stay on that homer ishhh. By what metric is Cousins better than Davis? Not statistically, and not by team success either.

Btw, didn't see your nightly posts complaining about the refs when your team benefited from that BS call against the Raptors.. thoughts?

I thought the league had a vendetta against the Kings?

Warriors would be ******* idiots if they get Waiters. Don't think he is a guy you win with.

Lee's stats were inflated under D'Antoni, but he's a serviceable player. Great hustle guy, dependable double-double, just overpaid and mediocre as a defender.

@DT43
 peep the Kings thread, all of us had the same reaction as you all did.
I respect you rck, but that Nelson dude stays complaining about the refs in here after every game. It's like give it a break dude

Warriors would be ******* idiots if they get Waiters. Don't think he is a guy you win with.
Of course he won't be a starter, he can come off the bench and be a better version of what Jordan Crawford is now. The kid can score.

Last edited:
Speaking of witch how many players in the history of the NBA could stretch the floor and play high end big man defense.

Rasheed Wallace

Rashard Lewis sort of?

Chris Bosh?

Unless Cousins changes its going to be tough to build a winner with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom