2013-2014 NBA Season Thread - Congrats to the Spurs, DBD is still a buster

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess it's ingrained in us as Sports fans, that we argue and fuss about tons of bull ****. I know I am guilty of it myself.

But in my lifetime, I have seen the close of Magic and Bird
The rise of MJ
Prime Dream
Shaq
Kobe
LeBron
Durant

And along with those elites, I've gotten to see Pippen, Ewing, Barkley, The OG Dream Team, Jason Kidd, Penny, Webber, Grant Hill, KG, Duncan, TMac, Dirk, AI, Ray, Wade, Melo, Russ, Love, Dwight, Anthony Davis,

And maybe someday, Wiggins, Jabari, and others in the 2014 class will move to the list above.

Being an NBA fan the last couple decades has been my privilege. I probably fuss about it more than I should. Lord knows, I didn't like Mike his first go round, but then he left, and I missed him. I enjoyed the hell outta him when he came back.

I don't like a lot of LeBron fans, but damn it, I enjoy watching him play and compete. And he and the Spurs will hopefully give us another 7 game classic, and may the best team win. :pimp:

Stop comparing the Celtics to the heat how many times do we have to go thru this.

I wish kobe , t Mac would've went to Minny with kg all in their primes. AI should've hit up dirk and VC they could've for sure made some noise in the east. I for the life of me don't get why MJ, Malone and Chuck didn't get together and demolish the league. Can u imagine how many rings they could've won? All in their primes

come on. Boston did exactly the same thing winning just one title and all the world was yelling a cheering as the boston dynasty was back. 

Lebron, Wade, and Bosh are some young smart people.
 Three guys that decide to go out and control their own destiny seems like a smart business/career decision to me.
wink.gif

come on. Boston did exactly the same thing winning just one title and all the world was yelling a cheering as the boston dynasty was back. 

Lebron, Wade, and Bosh are some young smart people.
:wink:
3 dudes past their primes, one who got traded to the team isn't the same stop it?

Yeah, the Boston thing was close to being like MIA, But they were past they're prime. And I hate everything Boston.

This was the first time in history that 3 Great players in the peak of their primes joined up together, on some can't beat em, join em stuff.

And D. Wade was considered the 3rd-5th best player in the league at the time, Bosh a top 10-15 player.

Smart move, I don't respect it...but it takes nothing away from how Great those 3 are.

Again I'll ask. Is it against the rules to sign free agents to build a team? Do you get more points if you draft players?

Again I'll ask. Is it against the rules to sign free agents to build a team? Do you get more points if you draft players?

No, it's really about preference.

I think it's harder, and more respectable to draft the right players and develop them, as well as adding free agents here and there.

Signing 3 superstars all at one time, feels like the easy way out to me. Just preference.

No, it's really about preference.

I think it's harder, and more respectable to draft the right players and develop them, as well as adding free agents here and there.

Signing 3 superstars all at one time, feels like the easy way out to me. Just preference.
That's also great management. Not many GMs can pull that off. Then be able to sign great role players for less then what there worth.

Kobe Shaq Malone Payton

just in 2004 tho

Malone didn't play. He was hurt. Medavenko had to guard Rasheed Wallace.
Gary Payton was a shelf of his former self and didn't bring much to the team. Billup was eating off Fisher and Gary Payton.

Last edited:
Thing is, very little has come easy to this team. They out work damn near everyone and 1-15 everyone buys in- it's been a far cry from the ego driven front-running show everyone thought it would be. I respect the hell out of the actual results and process. The rest is nonsense.

Spurs are in for the revenge. Popovich made the whole team sit down and watch game 6 in the preseason. They are mad, angry and they're going to whoop the Heat.

Nobody said its against the rules but don't get mad when dudes don't respect it. If my favorite player/best player in the league fled as soon as he could and joined up with two other superstars to win and people already criticize him as scared, not clutch, can't handle the pressure I would be mad. But that's ME. If u like it cool I have nothing against u but it was heartless and a cop out to find the easiest/quickest way to win. Stop trynna make this a "o it takes a great front office, if your team could do it" argument. This is about 3 best friends who all jus couldn't get it done (not wade in 06). They couldn't win at the moment and said **** it why beat each other when we can join each other etc etc. If it was Riley jus signing 3 guys I'd understand that argument but cmon be real

Guess I should have used my sarcasm font
Bean was his own worst enemy in all of this. If Bean wasn't so adamant on being the outright man, I think history looks at everything completely different. Everything went left in the public eye when Kobe started coming at Shaq's neck about his weight issues in 2003 and then the cherry on top with the whole "I should have paid them off like Shaq did in 04" which him then trying to win the Finals by himself. Kobe inadvertently created the A vs. B thing. He finally got his wish and found himself at the bottom of the West playoff standings for a few years. Then tried to force his way out of a mess that he created (which most like to pretend didn't occur). He then got himself another top notch superstar and won again. This is why Kobe's situation looks funny in the light.

LeBron on the other hand, the story with him was always what would happen if he actually had top notch talent by his side. He's finally playing with talent and the results speak for themselves

Luckily the history books don't care about any of that crap. Not the way that you got it done, just so that you got it done. In retrospect only think you can really knock Kobe for is the "I should have paid them off" as a criticism. Shaq was out of shape as even Phil admitted and Dr. Buss and co. were frustrated with. Yea he didn't want to stick around with a bunch of bums, but unlike LBJ didn't have the power to leave and form a superteam, but he stuck around, slowly climbed back to the top. Got another top notch superstar huh? Revisionist history Pau had made 1 All Star game and not a single All-NBA team before he came to LA, nor won a single playoff game.

Not like he got to team up with guy who was a 6x All-Star, Finals MVP, 5x All-NBA performer before he even got there and another 5x All-Star that at least had won a game in the playoffs like LBJ. But all you hear is blah Kobe had stacked this and stacked that and dudes want to act like LBJ doesn't and he's doing everything on his own, which simply isn't true.

Those extracurricular and supercilious issues are Just like that. Is it all that different how ppl hate LBJ for quitting on CLE, how Miami came together, LBJ "talking the easy way out", the Decision, disappearing in the 2011 Finals, etc. it's all frivolous and doesn't amount to a hill of beans once the ball is tossed and you get to the Finals, perform and win.

The history books do show that Kobe avg 25.2 ppg/5.6 rpg/5.1 apg on 42% shooting in his Finals career and has 5 rings to show for it. Also if you want to go with the without Shaq narrative and him being "the man" he avg 29.0 ppg/6.8 rpg/5.7 apg on 42% shooting and going 2 for 3 in those Finals. It'll also show to this point since everyone discounts that CLE Finals team that LBJ has avg 24.0 ppg/9.4rpg/7.0 apg on 46% shooting and gone 2 for 3 in those Finals. Those are facts, not conjecture or what people feel.

It was stupid when people were trying to downplay the player Bean was while he was winning titles and on top and it's stupid now with LBJ. But as expected the hypocrites try to justify the former as expected and want people to hush about the latter. Can't have it both ways, just show some consistency.

Last edited:
Nobody said its against the rules but don't get mad when dudes don't respect it. If my favorite player/best player in the league fled as soon as he could and joined up with two other superstars to win and people already criticize him as scared, not clutch, can't handle the pressure I would be mad. But that's ME. If u like it cool I have nothing against u but it was heartless and a cop out to find the easiest/quickest way to win. Stop trynna make this a "o it takes a great front office, if your team could do it" argument. This is about 3 best friends who all jus couldn't get it done (not wade in 06). They couldn't win at the moment and said **** it why beat each other when we can join each other etc etc. If it was Riley jus signing 3 guys I'd understand that argument but cmon be real
You see tho that's the thing. Nobody's complaining about respecting them. It's the same people day in and day out making the same arguments and points over and over again. While in 2010 there was a few teams trying the same thing but now all of a sudden those fans of those teams wanna complain about them coming together. So what it's ok for them to go to there team. But they went to Miami so it's not right.

I'll say it again, anybody who thinks teams don't pay for players is fooling themselves. All great teams in history have had to pay for big name players and then once you get those players you still need a great team behind them, which takes trades, free agency, drafting and negotiating contracts. Just because Miami "bought" Lebron and Bosh didn't automatically make them the best team on earth. Last I checked  it's still 5 on 5 not 3 on 5, just ask Houston this year. You gotta have a bench and key role players to get you through with the big names. And dear Laker fans I do believe you "bought" Shaq, but I never hear anyone cry about that purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom