2013-2014 NBA Season Thread - Congrats to the Spurs, DBD is still a buster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not really when they were at 112.3 per 100 possessions during his absence for those 5 weeks by far their best stretch of the year offensively. And their defense was good as well 99.5 per 100 possessions during the All NBA 1st defensive team absence (3rd in the league in that span). How many other teams are going at that clip, never mind the win-loss record which is very good with the so called engine missing?

Actually being out on the damn floor has to account for something?

At the end of the day, if I'm not mistaken the clips were 12-6 when Paul was out for that stretch. That's really the only metric that determines how "good" they were with Paul out. 12-6 is good, but it isn't extraordinary. Those metrics you used would have probably come down if it wasn't skewed with such a small sample size. It's not like the Clippers are better without Paul, those metrics just showed they had a good stretch while he was down.

Now if your gripe is that he didn't play enough games to be on the first team, then I can't argue that. Perhaps he didn't. Still played in over 60 games though. I don't think he missed enough games to warrant him out of that spot. That's just my opinion though.

by the exact same logic, why should curry be clearly on the 1st team over harden?

they averaged same rebounds and steals, steph with 2 more assists, and harden with 2 more points. 1.5% difference in FG%. Steph played in 5 more games over the season, and scored 22 more points, while taking 178 more shots.
its a toss up i wouldn't say clearly but one doesn't need as much help from the refs as the other

Last edited:

Ricky Rubio led the league in steals, not Chris Paul. Stats are skewed when you miss 1/4th of a season. Remove 1/4th of a season from Roy Hibbert this year and he makes the All-NBA 3rd team.
Come on, man. You know full well that the "league leader" designation is, and has always been, based on highest average in a particular category. Not totals. The NBA sets a minimum number of games a player has to play to be eligible for the designation and CP met the minimum. So, based on the NBA's criteria, he's the league leader in steals and assists.

Plus, basing the leader designation on averages is a better way of measuring proficiency at a particular thing. Otherwise, someone playing more games/minutes is always going to have an advantage. Players are going to miss games. It happens. They shouldn't be penalized for it as long as they play enough games to create a representative sample.
or a player could just sit out to avoid his scoring average from going down so he could win the scoring title  
nerd.gif

The question is..do ya'll look awkward playing, though? :tongue:

I guess its just personal preference, I don't know. When I played HS bball, the only people that wore ankle socks were white kids for some reason and I came out in 2007. I just never saw anyone really good wearing ankle socks playing high level basketball or did not look awkward playing it. :lol:

The one guy that I do remember kicking our *** in ankle socks was Jon Scheyer. KICKED OUR *** :lol:

Scheyer was a DIFFERENT kind of beast in H.S. watched him pull a TMac with 13 points in like a min or some **** to bring his team back and win, was absolutely crazy.

Melo had a career year and didn't even make All-NBA 2nd-3rd Team? :smh:

Guess they penalized him for the Knicks' overall season performance.

The fix is in... No way Love gets in with the way the Wolves performed as a Unit and Melo doesn't :smh:

All-NBA 1st Team:

Kevin Durant
LeBron James
Joakim Noah
Chris Paul
James Harden

Yep, called it when the All-Defensive team was announced... Chris Paul is the new Kobe Bryant.

Been that way for yrs now |I

Finally, :lol: :rofl: :stoneface: @ anyone saying Dwight over Noah for 1st team

^ya complaining about the wolves, but they had a better record than the nicks

wade shouldve been second team this yr :smh:

Last edited:
by the exact same logic, why should curry be clearly on the 1st team over harden?

they averaged same rebounds and steals, steph with 2 more assists, and harden with 2 more points. 1.5% difference in FG%. Steph played in 5 more games over the season, and scored 22 more points, while taking 178 more shots.
its a toss up i wouldn't say clearly but one doesn't need as much help from the refs as the other

:lol:

look, i get it. harden has his fair share of flops. that's fine. but don't discredit his ability to get to the lane/draw fouls as "needing the refs help". look at his shot chart, y'all really surprised he gets the FT numbers he does? attack the rim, and you'll be rewarded.

BpTZi2ICcAEcARj.png

There's 82 games in a season, CP0 played 62, that's 20 games missed (75%), you can't make 1st NBA team in my mind missing that much time, 2nd or 3rd team fine, but you weren't one of the 5 best players in the league when you weren't there for a 1/4 of the season.

Wade played 54, put up decent numbers when he was there, nowhere near consideration for any All NBA team.

There's something to be said for having to maintain an elite level over the course of nearly a full season, Steph played in 78 of 82 games (95% of the games). Just take a look at last year when CP0 played 70 games, similar minutes 35 this year v 34 last year (Clips won 56 games) his numbers took a dip, 16.9 ppg, 9.7 apg, steals remained relatively the same 2.5.

Anybody with two eyes that watched the Clips this year would say the Clips improvement had a lot more to do with Blake's growth and maturation as a player than anything CP0 was bringing to the table.

Last edited:
In the past, how many players played in the low 60 game range and ended up making the 1st team?

Last edited:
did you honestly think he had a chance to to get roy against dude who was crowned before he learned to drive...cut it out

Repped on dat 1

They still working on dat stamp
I know refs have to get memos
Before gametime..kinda like a script
Scenario

Marketing dude as "it" since day 1.....makes me sick

Last edited:
laugh.gif

look, i get it. harden has his fair share of flops. that's fine. but don't discredit his ability to get to the lane/draw fouls as "needing the refs help". look at his shot chart, y'all really surprised he gets the FT numbers he does? attack the rim, and you'll be rewarded.

BpTZi2ICcAEcARj.png
harden gets to the rack well no denying that but come playoff time when the refs let em play a bit more one of these players gets better while the other gets worse.  if harden were at least a respectable defender i would have no problem with him over curry but if all we have to go by is their offense I'm taking curry.  

In the past, how many players played in the low 60 game range and ended up making the 1st team?

Just looking real quickly Duncan seems to be the most recent that played less than 70 games last year played 69 outta 82 (84%) of the games and still made 1st team. Lockout season not withstanding where Kobe played 58 games outta 66 (88%) and Dwight 54 outta 66 (82%). I don't think a player has played less than 80% of the games in a season and garnered 1st team recognition, have to do more fact checking, but recently that seems to be the case.

Last edited:
What's the difference between the season melo had and Kevin love's?
Love shot better from the field, got to the line more (Insert refs hate Carmelo post), grabbed more rebounds, dished more assists on a better team in a tougher conference.

*Shrugs*

Love shot better from the field, got to the line more (Insert refs hate Carmelo post), grabbed more rebounds, dished more assists on a better team in a tougher conference.

*Shrugs*
Wolves were out of playoff race by the AS break, Knicks missed by one game with a streetball esque roster;

We talkin about Rubio vs. Felton... Brewer vs. Bargz...Pekovic vs. Chandler... JR vs. K. Martin... The Great Chase Budinger vs. Tribeca...

*Shrugs*

Wolves were out of playoff race by the AS break, Knicks missed by one game with a streetball esque roster;

We talkin about Rubio vs. Felton... Brewer vs. Bargz...Pekovic vs. Chandler... JR vs. K. Martin... The Great Chase Budinger vs. Tribeca...

38 wins got into the playoffs in the east.
48 wins got you 9th in the west.

*Shrugs*

38 wins got into the playoffs in the east.
48 wins got you 9th in the west.
Is this supposed to be some sort of Breaking News?

Last edited:
i assume you're bringing up the playoff race as some sort of indicator that "melo almost got them there with a trash roster" type argument. which i'm debunking before you try to further that argument. carry on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom