2013-2014 NBA Season Thread - Congrats to the Spurs, DBD is still a buster

Status
Not open for further replies.

That's just part of the plan.. when teams know you're desperate to trade away something you'll get dookie in return.
I would have agreed with this, if it was last year when he had leverage. Now he has none and nothing he says will change it. Hes getting fleeced regardless.
Someone will give us something decent for him.. if it's a top 5 pick good, Top 3 great.. it's better than letting him walk for nothing. 

Boston will do it.
I hope so, I dont want to see the Wolves go down this road of going back to the bottom of the heap, its not good for the league.

Last edited:
It's been in the newspaper every day here. I'm already tired of seeing it.

I hope it's sooner than later.

Last edited:
you can't trust a player like Z-Bo and like you said everyone besides Conley and Gasol are trade able.

Zbo had an amazing run here, but some times you have to know when that run is over. The hardest thing for Pera is to get players to buy in to what he's doing because a lot of the players trusted Levien.

Another thing is that Pera had separate end of the year interviews with the players personally. He wanted to get an honest opinion on how the players felt about the coach, the team itself, etc. From the jump, he had private meetings with Conley and Gasol as well.

Look at it this way: Unlike a Dwight Howard, Minny hasn't had any type of success WITH Love there, so would doing a hard reset and going back to the very bottom next season when Okafor and the others are coming out instead of taking on guys that you don't really want (especially David Lee's contract) be the worse thing. I mean NO was in a similar position when they traded Chris Paul all for the league negating the initial trade to the Lakers, it worked out, they sucked and got Anthony Davis. It may be in their best interest, to just let him walk for nothing, since it isn't like they weren't a contender or even a playoff team with Love there in the 1st place. Just a thought.

Last edited:
Look at it this way: Unlike a Dwight Howard, Minny hasn't had any type of success WITH Love there, so would doing a hard reset and going back to the very bottom next season when Okafor and the others are coming out instead of taking on guys that you don't really want (especially David Lee's contract) be the worse thing. I mean NO was in a similar position when they traded Chris Paul all for the league negating the initial trade to the Lakers, it worked out, they sucked and got Anthony Davis. It may be in their best interest, to just let him walk for nothing, since it isn't like they weren't a contender or even a playoff team with Love there in the 1st place. Just a thought.
Makes sense.

But I'll take a Top 3 this year no hesitation.. even 5

IMO i think your wrong, Ibaka got 10MM a year, Harden was gonna get 15 or 16, that extra 5,6 would be huge in signing players...unfortunately teams like the Thunder aren't going to be able to sign these draft picks and young talent moving forward due to 2 max contracts and a high contract in Ibaka.

They didn't have to sign Ibaka to that deal though. Harden was the better player at that point, they could have gave Ibaka 7 and James could have still gotten his money, they distributed it the wrong way.

Not to mention the fact amnestying Perkins would have rendered the cap situation mute anyway, but that's neither here nor there.

Ibaka was never going to sign for 7mil, get out of here. He makes 12.5 per now, and even amnestying Perkins wouldn't have bought them under the cap when Russ is a 5/85, KD is on a 5/100, Serge is on 4/50, and you would have had James on a 4/58. That would put you at and over the cap in coming years a with just those 4plus you'd have to sign another center to replace Perkins (plus still pay him 18 million which doesn't effect the cap though) and the rest of the lineup

Last edited:
Ibaka was never going to sign for 7mil, get out of here. He makes 12.5 per now, and even amnestying Perkins wouldn't have bought them under the cap when Russ is a 5/85, KD is on a 5/100, Serge is on 4/50, and you would have had James on a 4/58. That would put you at and over the cap in coming years a with just those 4plus you'd have to sign another center to replace Perkins (plus still pay him 18 million which doesn't effect the cap though) and the rest of the lineup

Looking back at the cap situation, there was no way OKC would've been able to keep both Harden and Ibaka. OKC decided they needed a big that can guard the paint and grab rebounds. They didn't feel like adding a third scorer would get them over the hump.

I still think OKC can win a title with the group they have now, but they need to change the way they play basketball. They actually have a SOLID roster with tons of talents on the bench. Losing Ibaka hurts them a LOT, but also Scott Brooks is showing everyone that he's not as good of a coach as we thought years ago.

Give Pop or Carlisle this team and watch them make it to the Finals every year.

Wow at the possibility of Thibs coming to Memphis :lol:

Speculation on my end and from some resources within the organization:

There's an article about how Pera wanted to fire Dave Joerger earlier in the season after the slow start. I don't think Joerger was Pera's official pick as the coach. Also, from some people close within the organization, it seems like Pera wants the blow the team up and the only safe players are Conley and Gasol.

I have no problems with that because I think the potential of this "core" is tapped out. That's why for the first time in years, you saw me predict us losing a series. :lol:

Leave my coach alone :stoneface:

Sterling has ****** the game up in more ways than one :smh:

At the end of the day, it seems like Levien is the bad guy in this situation. He took his role of the team as if he was over Pera and this is the 3rd time something like this has happened to Levien.

According to a Memphis writer, Hollinger is safe and will remain with the team. :pimp:

So Ibaka coming off of 9 ppg and 7 rpg for the season; 10 and 6 in the playoffs in 2012 warranted a more than max deal from OKC, cause that's what he got? A contract bigger than Al Horford (a 2x all star by that point) and Joakim Noah at the time. I think there's a bit of revisionist history on your end. They did overpay a bit on Serge for what he'd proven up to that point at age 22. Undervalued what Harden brought to them after being the 6th man of the year and tried to lowball him, that's at least how I look at it.

Last edited:
Big men like Serge aren't that hard to find, they put their marbles in the wrong basket :smh:

IMO i think your wrong, Ibaka got 10MM a year, Harden was gonna get 15 or 16, that extra 5,6 would be huge in signing players...unfortunately teams like the Thunder aren't going to be able to sign these draft picks and young talent moving forward due to 2 max contracts and a high contract in Ibaka.

At the time of the extension, Harden wanted 12/13 million per if I'm not mistaken its was 5 years 60/65 million. I think OKC was offering 5 years 50 million. The problem is they shouldn't have gave Perk 9 million a year, that wasn't smart.

Ibaka signed for 4/49 million more than the max of about 4/44-45. (4-5 mill more than the max)

Harden wanted 4/59 million, OKC offered 4/54 million (4-5 mil less than the max)

Am I missing something here?

So Ibaka coming off of 9 ppg and 7 rpg for the season; 10 and 6 in the playoffs in 2012 warranted a more than max deal from OKC, cause that's what he got? A contract bigger than Al Horford (a 2x all star by that point) and Joakim Noah at the time. I think there's a bit of revisionist history on your end. They did overpay a bit on Serge for what he'd proven up to that point at age 22. Undervalued what Harden brought to them after being the 6th man of the year and tried to lowball him, that's at least how I look at it.

He makes 12.5mil, that's not more than max. And it's about right, close to a bargain really for elite defense (rim protection and pick and roll), elite jump shooting /finishing (always over 50%fg) that he provides. Javale McGee makes 10mil per. Darko talked Kahn into 5 mil when nobody else would sign him wand he was a kaughingstock. No way Ibaka, who has now matured into a 3rd option on contender, was never going to sign for a measley 7 mil per. Hell, Kendrick Perkins make 9 mil

He makes 12.5mil, that's not more than max. And it's about right, close to a bargain really for elite defense (rim protection and pick and roll), elite jump shooting /finishing (always over 50%fg) that he provides. Javale McGee makes 10mil per. Darko talked Kahn into 5 mil when nobody else would sign him wand he was a kaughingstock. No way Ibaka, who has now matured into a 3rd option on contender, was never going to sign for a measley 7 mil per. Hell, Kendrick Perkins make 9 mil

7 mil was the wrong number to use and I was being a bit facetious. But at that point in 2012 they did not know what he would become, same as James Harden, they were banking on his potential. My thinking is they could have manuvered the numbers around somehow to make all 4 of them work. You get a young core of KD, Russ, James, and Ibaka at a slightly lower price by amnestying Perk and surround them with supplemental pieces for cheap ala the Miami Heat. Bennett isn't Mickey Arison and Presti isn't the Don Pat Riley though.

I mean Russ didn't take the supermax he could have when he signed his extension to make it even more difficult to sign either Ibaka or Harden, basically handing Presti and Bennett both of them on a silver platter to keep them together, but they still didn't bite.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom