2009 football/soccer summer transfer rumors

Originally Posted by c0nf0cal

United will be just fine. Owen getting #7 is a good move. More motivation for him. As far as Owen is concerned, United is the biggest club he's ever played for, so he won't need more reasons to stay healthy. Lets, for a second, say Rooney and Owen get to the form of Euro 2004...its not hard to imagine that....lights out.
I think that people forget to realize that Liverpool have traditionally been the biggest club in England. They have more European Titles than ManUtd. and it wasn't until this past May that Man Utd. caught up to them in league titles. I believe that Man Utd. are now a bigger club than Liverpool (theysurpassed Liverpool in the 90s in terms of popularity) but one can argue that Liverpool were a bigger club than Man Utd. when Owen first got there.

I hope Tevez does well. I do find it a bit rich he went to city looking for more football when all they've bought is attacking players. I have no idea how they're going to be contending for Europe when they have Hughes as a manager. He's tactically inept, and I question whether he can manage those players. They have a big squad for just the EPL and FA cup. Its going to be interesting there this season.
As of right now, Tevez, Santa Cruz and Robinho are the starters for Man City. Guys like Bellamy, Jo, Bojinov, Benjani will be on their way outwithin the next year. If they get Adebeyor, there will be a serious log jam up front with one of Tevez/Santa Cruz/Adebeyor ending up on the bench. However, asof right now, I cant fault him for joining Man City as he appears to have a full time starters role.

Mark Hughes will eventually get fired. If they get off to a slow start, he's gone...if they're mid-table by Christmas...he's gone...if they end theseason trophyless...he's gone. Their owners will spend good money to get a proven coach.

I wanted him to stay at United, but I thought it was a bad idea to pay the money to his owner. How does a man own another man? Shady Persian. I think Tevez is overrated, and a mid range guy. He has yet to play a full season as a starting 11 player (remember at WHU he didn't even see the first team for the longest). I hope he gets better, but my feeling is he'll drop off.
I agree that Tevez is somewhat over-rated but no one has ever said he was a top tier striker. He's in the middle of the pack of theworld's 2nd tier strikers. Your wrong about him not playing a full season as a striker though...he started in 31 matches for Man Utd 2 seasons ago (Rooneyonly started in 25). The reason why he was benched for about a month with WHU is because he had trouble adjusting to the Premiership (just like most newtransfers).

I think he's good for 1 goal every 2-3 matches. Man City have a ton of attacking options so he wont be relied upon to score a boatload of goals.

As for Adebeyor...I'll be happy if Arsenal sell him. Dude's #1 priority is to make as much money as possible. He's too much of a headache, hedoesnt play hard in every match. I dont think its a foregone conclusion that he ends up with City...maybe Chelsea or AC Milan meet Arsenal's asking price.

and michael owen did play well for real madrid. and given his limited playing time, i thought he was quite successful there too.

Two 3

can you find out where inter is going to practice in the bay area? They are heading here for sunday's game.

Zlatan and/or Aguero, Eto'o will be in a Manchester United Jersey this summer trust me. Fergie is playing games.

I hope eto'o stays at Barca :[

Originally Posted by zizou

it would be only sweeter if we win via an owen goal at anfield. lol.

lets hope it happens. lol makes me sad seeing quaresma, i remember being in portugal when everybody from sporting fans to porto, were ALL comparing him to cr7.and to a lot of people he was better. what happened? i still think he is a top class player but his career outside of portugal leaves us comparing hisprogression to the likes of nani (which isnt bad but he was at one point seen as the next best thing out of portugal) if he came to united i would of gonecrazy
eek.gif
tired.gif

quaresma....*roll eyes*

dude was indeed supposed to be the next figo. it's ironic because he's older than ronaldo too. and ronaldo went on to be the "next figo"...

he had a lot of expectations at barca, some 6 years ago. but he just never made it. he was a beast during his last 2-3 seasons at porto, though. and hispasses/shots with the outside of his right foot are just sick.

i was hoping he'd blossom under mourinho and figo at inter.

hit up ucla today, they opened the last ten minutes to the public of the inter practice.
got a pic with cordoba and suazo. my friend got a pic with cambiasso.
cambiasso and cordoba were chill. got a pic of zlatan, my friend got an autograph so i was two feet away from greatness.
jose mourinho was a douche.. left hanging by quaresma and vieira.
but still a great experience.
and messi is still in town?
nerd.gif
nerd.gif

5894_128566291067_561516067_3427635_1344666_n.jpg
5894_128566001067_561516067_3427585_6981430_n.jpg

5894_128566061067_561516067_3427596_7117949_n.jpg

5894_128566101067_561516067_3427602_1813181_n.jpg

5894_128566141067_561516067_3427609_4677438_n.jpg

u madd?

Tevez's first season was unique because he had virtually no competition from the only forwards in Rooney and Saha. Rooney broke his foot that year if Iremember rightly and Saha had his usual knee problems.

Tevez plays good in a very unstructured offense, but City's players aren't the same type. That said, he could function really well with Santa, playingoff his side in a poacher role. Robinho is a really underrated passer, probably because he doesn't do it much, but he would do well as a support role. Barry's presence frees up Ireland, who is a really nice player, but I'm not sure how they all fit together. It will be hard to have any sort of winggame with all those central players. I don't think Hughes is capable of playing the kind of tactic with two central mids, a withdrawn passer and a forwardmid, like Milan did/does with Pirlo and Gattuso. The concern for Citeh is the lack of defense. Richards is a bust IMO, and they don't have proper fullbacks. They did get good performances from Given last season though. If they get Terry away from Chelsea, all bets are off. City are immediatly titlecontenders.

naw. I think United are doing the right thing here. The market needs to settle down, and player prices are really getting inflated. Need to keep in mind thatMadrid has virtually snapped up everyone who could come into a team and make a difference. They've put a lot of money out there, but there isn't anyoneleft, worth buying. Fabiano is decent, but I don't think he improves the team. Fergie is looking more likely to bring the kids along a bit with Macheda andWelbeck coming into the fold a little more. If he buys just anyone, then it limits their progress. Plus, he's going to over pay regardless.

I think it would be great for Ferguson to let the youngsters come up. Now that Ronaldo is gone, there is a lot of room for them (in terms of getting the ball)and less pressure because expectations are lower.

Ferguson has always made buys that address the needs of the team. Right now, they don't really need any more players. Perhaps people think the ones thatare there aren't going to cut the mustard (I wouldn't argue that), but in terms of numbers, and capabilities, United have what they need.

^absolutely agree.

the transfer prices are bloated at the moment, and fergie has always been about buying young talent that can be nurtured.

i said this earlier. we just need to trust in SAF again. if he thinks that our frontline is in good enough shape with rooney, berbatov, owen, wellbeck, andmacheda, then i'm on board.

Does anyone know if Barca will be giving autographs when they come to SF? Unfortunately, I'm in Central America and I'll miss the game but a friend ofmine is going but she wants to know if they're doing anything similar like what other teams are doing: Ex: Signing Autographs at Niketown or allowing thepublic to be in their practices, etc....

1030 BST - Newcastle have confirmed former caretaker Joe Kinnear will not be returning to the club next season as manager, and midfielder Nicky Butthas called on the club to clarify the situation as soon as possible so they can plan ahead for the new season (Press Association).

TRANSFER GOSSIP

Manchester City manager Mark Hughes believes his side can offer John Terry a new lease of life and said the Chelsea and England captain needs afresh challenge.
Full story:Various

Hughes is also on the verge of signing Emmanuel Adebayor for £25m after the player underwent a medical in Manchester.
Full story: Various

Real Madrid could sign Liverpool midfielder Xabi Alonso by the end of the week as they are prepared to meet the club's asking price of more than£30m for the 27-year-old.
Fullstory: Daily Telegraph

Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez will do everything he can to keep Alonso at the club, along with Argentina midfielder Javier Mascherano, who has beenlinked with a move to Barcelona.
Full story: Daily Star

Former Arsenal midfielder Patrick Vieira could join Tottenham after indicating to manager Harry Redknapp that he would be willing to leave InterMilan.

The Italian club are prepared to pay the 33-year-old Vieira £1m to make up a shortfall in wages if he was to join Spurs, while Birmingham, Sunderland,Fulham, Lyon and Paris St Germain have all made enquiries about the Frenchman.
Full story: Daily Express

Or, Vieira wants a pay-off from Inter Milan after Spurs offered him £60,000-a-week - £25,000 less than he currently earns at the San Siro.
Full story: The Times

Tottenham have held talks with Real Madrid striker Klaas-Jan Huntelaar, but could miss out on signing the Dutch international after Stuttgart had an offeraccepted for the 25-year-old.

Spurs full-back Gareth Bale, 19, is wanted on loan by Italian side Roma to provide competition for John Arne Riise.
Full story: The Sun

Blackburn manager Sam Allardyce will give veteran striker Christian Vieri, 36, all the time he needs to prove his fitness after spending some time with theRovers squad at a training camp.
Full story: TheSun

Fulham will launch an £11m bid for Portsmouth striker Peter Crouch - but only if Bobby Zamora leaves to join Hull City.

Sunderland have had a £14m bid for Darren Bent rejected by Tottenham as the north London club want to recoup the £16.7m they paid Charlton for the25-year-old striker two years ago.

Tottenham have made a late bid to sign Sheffield United full-back Kyle Naughton after Everton had a £6m offer for the 20-year-old accepted.

Wigan have entered the race to sign Rangers centre-back Madjid Bougherra.

Hull are confident of signing Sunderland striker Daryl Murphy after the clubs agreed an initial fee of £1.5m, rising to £2.5m.
Full story:Various

West Brom midfielder Jonathan Greening has stunned the club by handing in a transfer request after they rejected a £2.5m bid from Fulham.

Rangers midfielder Barry Ferguson, 31, could join former manager Alex McLeish at Birmingham after the Blues agreed a £1.3m fee with the Scottishclub. (Daily Mirror)

Bolton manager Gary Megson will attempt to finalise a £3.5m deal for Swansea midfielder Ferrie Bodde in an attempt to fight off interest from Wigan. (DailyMirror)

OTHER GOSSIP

Joe Kinnear is set to return as Newcastle manager on Wednesday, with Mike Ashley overlooking fans' favourite Alan Shearer for the role as theowner struggles to find a buyer for the club.
Fullstory: Daily Mail

However, sources at the club have denied reports linking Kinnear with a return to St James' Park and any new manager will be appointed when a takeoverof the club is completed. (The Press Association)

Chelsea chief executive Peter Kenyon is considering quitting the club after securing a new five-year shirt sponsorship deal.

Ex-Arsenal midfielder Ray Parlour has accused striker Emmanuel Adebayor of being "lazy" and lacking fight during his Gunners career and believesmanager Arsene Wenger has done brilliantly by getting £25m from Manchester City for the Togo striker.
FormerManchester United captain Bryan Robson believes Michael Owen can reignite his England career at Old Trafford following the striker's summer switch afterhis Newcastle contract ended.

Any of you guys getting the Liverpool vs. St Gallen friendly? Surprisingly, we are... Finally some footy!

Juventus sign Felipe Melo from Fiorentina for 20 mil + winger Marco Marchionni (est about 4.5 mil).

Our midfield and strikers are looking very good with a lot of depth. now just a right back or a left back and ill feel great about the upcoming season.

I'm really hoping for Fabio Santacroce from Napoli to fill our RB position (he can play CB too). And I'm hearing Fabio Grosso too fill our LB position,i like it but dont this is as much as a need as Santa at RB.

Adebeyor to City is almost a done deal. Arsenal get 25 million pounds and Adebeyor's wages are doubled.

I'm happy that he's gone, he'll be lucky to get 10 goals for City this season. He's going to have to fight for playing time and he's goingto be out of City's lineup for atleast 2 weeks in January due to the African Nations Cup.

I do not believe that City are done for the summer. I believe that they will sell/loan out their extra strikers and they will also make a move for a defender(Terry and Kolo Toure have both been mentioned, it's unlikely that they get either one).

With guys like Adebeyor, Tevez, Santa Cruz, Robinho, Elano, Ireland, Barry, SWP, Petrov, etc., Man City will make a serious push for top 5 this season.

Arsenal now must get a target man and a defensive midfielder. They have an estimated 35-40 million pounds to spend so expect Wenger to use about 3 million ofit to fill both needs
sick.gif

any tips for the inter milan practice at UCLA? Should we get there super early to see them practice?
me and my bro are driving out tonite to see the practice and hopefully that kit launch party tomorrow night.

I have a strong feeling that Tevez will break out this season with City and become a top tier striker, he is just beginning to hit his prime. Ferguson is goingto regret the way he treated him, I was in Argentina visiting some family for this past month and every time Tevez appeared on one of the local sports talkshows he would talk about how much he loved United and the fans but that he just couldn't deal with Sir Alex and the sub par playing time he was given.

Originally Posted by lu cash

I have a strong feeling that Tevez will break out this season with City and become a top tier striker, he is just beginning to hit his prime. Ferguson is going to regret the way he treated him, I was in Argentina visiting some family for this past month and every time Tevez appeared on one of the local sports talk shows he would talk about how much he loved United and the fans but that he just couldn't deal with Sir Alex and the sub par playing time he was given.

its sad that he had to leave on such terrible terms, but still i feel i must note that most players either play ##$% or nothing past decent when they leaveunited, but who knows

Just curious, do numbers get retired in soccer often? Y'all are talking about Owen wearing 7 and I know that it's been a holy number for Man U, butwhen a once in a generation player comes along do clubs retire them?

Not really. Usually only due to tragedies. For example, Sevilla retired Antonio Puerta's number 16 after his untimely passing.

IIRC, some clubs don't issue the number 12 because of respect to the fans whom are often dubbed the 12th man.

Originally Posted by xblaze23

Not really. Usually only due to tragedies. For example, Sevilla retired Antonio Puerta's number 16 after his untimely passing.
Marc-Vivien Foé also had his number retired at Manchester City...some of y'all older heads might remember him...

it's rare that numbers get retired.

but it happens now and then. milan has the numbers 3 and 6 retired. 3 is actually still open for maldini's son, who's in their youth system.

the argentina national team tried to have the number 10 retired, but FIFA wouldn't let them as they require all teams to have squad numbers 1-23 intournaments.

as for tevez, i'm sad that he had to leave the way it went down. but before he can become a top player, he needs to get regular playing time. who knows ifthat will happen with the number of attackers they have on that squad.

will SAF regret the way he let tevez go? i dunno. we've let go better and bigger players in the past and found ways to continue being successful. i trustferguson on this one.

and looks like the lucio to city transfer that was mentioned here is untrue. i just read on soccernet that he's going to inter.

Back
Top Bottom