2009 football/soccer summer transfer rumors

Real Madrid have still not given up in their pursuit of Liverpool midfielder Xabi Alonso, with the coach of the Spanish club Manuel Pellegriniinsisting: "We are interested."
Fullstory: The Sun

And in a cheeky move for the Spanish international, Real have decreased their offer for the player by £3m to £22m.
Full story: Daily Mirror

Chelsea will hold intensive talks with captain John Terry as they fear the centre-back is ready to quit to join Manchester City.
Full story:Daily Mirror

However, the Blues will not increase England skipper Terry's wages in an attempt to keep him at Stamford Bridge.
Fullstory: Daily Mail

Carlos Tevez will complete a £25m move to Manchester City on Monday. The Argentine striker's move will leave Chelsea disappointed.
Full story:Daily Mail

Manchester United are moving closer to signing 20-year-old Brazilian midfielder Douglas Costa from Gremio.
Full story: The Times

Aston Villa look set to sign Middlesbrough winger Stewart Downing for £12m this week, raising questions over the future of Ashley Young at VillaPark. Striker Young is wanted by Tottenham, but they could lose out to Manchester United or Chelsea.
Full story: Daily Mail

Villa may also be set to lose defender Zat Knight, with Wolves ready to join Bolton in a battle to sign him.
Full story: DailyMail

Hull have inquired about Cardiff striker Ross McCormack after missing out on Fraizer Campbell, Michael Owen and Marc-Antoine Fortune. (TheTimes)

Portsmouth are interested in signing Tottenham right-back Pascal Chimbonda and are ready to pay £2.5m for him. (Daily Mail)

Hull are hoping to hijack Ipswich's £3m move for Sunderland striker Daryl Murphy.

Sunderland have made an increased bid of just under £6m for Wigan midfielder Lee Catermole, having had an initial bid of £4m turned down.
Full story: Daily Star

Middlesbrough defender Adam Johnson has been told there is no way he will be allowed to leave to join Chelsea. (Daily Mirror)

Sunderland boss Steve Bruce is set to switch his sights from Manchester City defender Richard Dunne to Tottenham centre-back Michael Dawson.
Full story: TheSun

Liverpool's young French midfielder Damien Plessis is wanted on loan by Cardiff - as a potential replacement for Joe Ledley, who has been linkedto Everton, Hull and Stoke. (Daily Mirrror)

Hearts winger Andrew Driver is wanted by FC Twente manager Steve McClaren but the ex-England boss faces competition for the player's signature fromBurnley. (The Sun)

Tottenham want to sign Sheffield United full-back Kyle Walker - but they would allow him to stay with the Blades for the next year to continue hisdevelopment. (Daily Mirror)

Celtic have told English Premier League clubs that goalkeeper Artur Boruc is not for sale. (The Sun)

Nottingham Forest have tabled a £1.6m bid for Coventry defender Danny Fox. (Various)

Sunderland have been linked with Saint Etienne defender Efstathios Tavlaridis, who failed to break into Arsenal's first team back in 2001. (TheTimes)

OTHJER GOSSIP

Portsmouth are ready to make Paul Hart their new manager - handing him the job permanently after his stint as caretaker boss last season. (DailyMirror)

West Ham boss Gianfranco Zola insists captain Lucas Neil will be welcomed with open arms at Upton Park if he agrees a new deal with the Hammers, despite anunsavoury pay dispute.
Full story:The Sun

Hull midfielder Jimmy Bullard has told the club he will not be fit until October at the earliest. The 30-year-old injured his knee on his debut forthe club last January.
Full story: The Sun

Arsenal legend and ex-Portsmouth boss Tony Adams has emerged as a surprise contender to be the next Southampton manager.

Veteran Teddy Sheringham, 43, is heading for a shock comeback to play for non-League side Beckenham Town in their FA Vase matches.
Full story: TheSun

AND FINALLY

Two brothers aged 18 and 21 have become England's youngest owners of a football club. Tom and Josh Mitchell will run non-League Dorchester Townafter their father gave them the club. (Daily Mirror)

Manchester United have had to change their long-planned exhibition dedicated to Cristiano Ronaldo to a 'farewell' presentation. The 'Best PlayerIn The World' display at Old Trafford went up as it was announced the winger was moving to Real Madrid. (Various)

Originally Posted by AirJordanSeattle23

anyone hear that micah richards had swine flu?
yeah,and i'm glad he's recovering well...
here's the article from soccernet.com:
City star Richards recovering from swine flu

Micah Richards has revealed he is stranded on holiday after being diagnosed with swine flu.

The Manchester City defender he has been confined to his hotel room in Cyprus after being told he cannot fly back to the UK until he has fully recovered.

"At first I thought it was a really bad chest infection, or maybe alcohol poisoning," he told The Sun.

"I felt so weak that I couldn't move or eat. My friends had to bring me drinks in bed.

"When I was told I had swine flu all sorts of things started going through my mind. You see on the news people dying of it."

The 21-year-old went on the holiday after helping England reach the final of the Under-21 Championships in Sweden.

He added: "My club have been very understanding. I'll get some stick from the lads when I do return - they will probably all turn up to training in surgical masks."

in other transfer-related news:

Fergie: No more player movement at Old Trafford

Sir Alex Ferguson handed Michael Owen Ronaldo's old shirt at Manchester United and then declared Old Trafford closed for transfer business.

After receiving £80m from the sale of the Portuguese winger to Real Madrid,it was thought Ferguson would add to the signings of Owen,Antonio Valencia and Gabriel Obertan.

But, faced with a market over-inflated by Real Madrid and Manchester City,Ferguson has decided his current squad is good enough to challenge for an unprecedented fourth consecutive league title,even though Ronaldo and Carlos Tevez have left.

He said: "It is the end of our business,so all these stories about who were are supposed to be getting - forget it.''

It means Owen will take over Ronaldo's shirt and his place in an attacking line-up containing Wayne Rooney and Dimitar Berbatov,plus youngsters Danny Wellbeck and Federico Macheda,who will both be given a chance to prove they are worthy of the accolades that have been bestowed on them.

"They are both young players - but young players with ability always get a chance here.''

Owen maintained he was in good shape despite his injury-prone tag."It does irritate me that so many people have doubts,'' he said. "But if there is one thing I am angered by,the injury thing would be it.There is no doubt I have had injuries in my career.But there is a long list of players that have had a broken metatarsal.

"I was foolish trying to rush back for the World Cup and my leg had just come out of plaster."But I played 33 and 32 games in the last two years in a team that was not in Europe and did not go on a decent cup run.Still I was continually labelled injury-prone,which gets up my nose.

"I am 29 and have played over 500 games for club and country.That says it all.''

What Owen does accept the need to prove is the retention of ability that has made him only the fourth striker in England history to score 40 goals for his country.

"In certain parts,people do have a justification to have a go at me,'' he said."I didn't set the world alight in the last year at Newcastle.That is no-one's fault but mine.We were not playing well as a team and I wasn't doing my bit either.''

Ferguson confirmed he made a bid for Karim Benzema,only to be rebuffed by the Lyon man,who instead became part of Real Madrid's extraordinary spending spree.

''There are some amazing numbers being talked about,not all of them realistic,'' he said.''It is very difficult to get value now.''In a way we benefited through the sale of Cristiano,although that figure was non-negotiable.

"But I feel we have a good squad,which meant there was no need for knee-jerk reactions.We asked about Benzema and we had a value for him.Lyon have done well because they got 42m Euros but I think we took a sensible view.''

"Michael gives us experience in the penalty box,which is vital,'' said Ferguson."He has always had that little knack of losing defenders in the last third."I know he will score a lot of goals for us.He has been great at that for years.''

that sucks...
frown.gif
i was hoping United would make some moremoves in the transfer market...

^ same.

but what bothers me even more is the thought of michael owen in the number 7 kit. There is no way he will live up to that legacy no matter how well he plays,has fergie gone off his head!
mad.gif

you know...secretly, i was hoping darren would get the #7 shirt.

but maybe fergie's trying to make a statement by giving it to owen. i dunno.

i did also hope that there would be more transfers, but looks like this will be another case of trusting in fergie.

nani is my least favorite player on this team, but a lot will be expected from him this year.

Valencia chairman, Manuel Llorente has declared David Villa non transferable.. demanding 50 million Euros or nothing.

Klaas Jan Huntelaar's exit may have accelerated now that he will not be traveling to Dublin for Real Madrid's training and friendly vs. ShamrockRovers.

7,000 fans welcomed Shunsuke Nakamura at Espanyol.

inter milan has arrived in LA, having practices at UCLA as we speak.
staying at the Four Seasons?
anyone confirm this?

Originally Posted by zizou

i did also hope that there would be more transfers, but looks like this will be another case of trusting in fergie.

nani is my least favorite player on this team, but a lot will be expected from him this year.

i would of liked to see darren get it as well. and i really want to see more of nani and anderson on the pitch, i think they both have the potential to besolid starters. on a side note, essien is leaning towards being back to top form
glasses.gif
, he is one of, if not the, most productive midfielders in english football,would you agree?

Originally Posted by tonton32

Originally Posted by zizou

i would of liked to see darren get it as well. and i really want to see more of nani and anderson on the pitch, i think they both have the potential to be solid starters. on a side note, essien is leaning towards being back to top form
glasses.gif
, he is one of, if not the, most productive midfielders in english football, would you agree?
i'm sure nani and anderson will get more time this year. i've never been a fan of nani, but i can see the talent is there. i do wonderhow much being in ronaldo's shadow affected him. i can only hope that he will blossom with ronaldo not being there anymore.

anderson is the one that i like between those two. the kid is fearless. i really hope he can continue to improve because i see great things for him.

and this is a stretch...but if hargreaves can stay healthy....ah who am i kidding. but if he can, it would be like a new signing.

and i agree with essien. the guy is a beast, and i would have argued that he was the best central midfielder in the premier league two seasons ago. everyonetalks about hiddink's record at chelsea, but it was timed nicely with essien's return.

So Tevez to Man City is finally confirmed...pretty much the same transfer fee and wages that Man. Utd. offered. Hopefully this puts to rest the argument thatTevez was just chasing money. The reason he left Man Utd. (a far better team than City) is because he was the odd man out and wanted a full time gig.

I love all these bogus rumors being spread by these stupid tabloids. Fabiano, Eto'o, Adebeyor, Terry, Puyol, Maicon all "linked" to Man City. ManCity will be lucky to land one of them.

Man City have a very competitive squad now but they probably wont win anything this season. Man Utd., Liverpool and Chelsea will duke it out for thePremiership, 4th place is wide open but Arsenal remain the favorite right now to get the last UCL spot. If Man City continue to spend like this next summer,they'll be contenders for Premiership title in the 2010/11 season.

Originally Posted by Carlos Tevez

So Tevez to Man City is finally confirmed...pretty much the same transfer fee and wages that Man. Utd. offered. Hopefully this puts to rest the argument that Tevez was just chasing money. The reason he left Man Utd. (a far better team than City) is because he was the odd man out and wanted a full time gig.

I love all these bogus rumors being spread by these stupid tabloids. Fabiano, Eto'o, Adebeyor, Terry, Puyol, Maicon all "linked" to Man City. Man City will be lucky to land one of them.

Man City have a very competitive squad now but they probably wont win anything this season. Man Utd., Liverpool and Chelsea will duke it out for the Premiership, 4th place is wide open but Arsenal remain the favorite right now to get the last UCL spot. If Man City continue to spend like this next summer, they'll be contenders for Premiership title in the 2010/11 season.
yea i never understood why folks critcized him for allegedly wanting more money.

we offered him a good deal, but ultimately, he felt wronged by the club. the supporters loved him and practically begged fergie to sign him.

but a starting position's gonna be tough at city too. with robinho, elano, ireland, swp, bellamy, roque, and whoever else they're planning ongetting....lots of competition up front. shoulda given us ireland in return. j/k.

but yea i agree with you. all these names being linked with city. it's good to know that some players are choosing to go to established clubs and try andwin trophies instead of chasing the money.

when/what are Chelsea going to do!?!?!?
mad.gif

jus when the Zlatan rumors were pickin up steam that gets shut down.... Drogba needs sumone to push him, Anelka is very good but i dont think he has the typeof competitive spirit to light a fire under Didiers rear end, we need Villa or Zlatan n then a creating wing, middie... Ribery would b nice...

Originally Posted by Carlos Tevez

So Tevez to Man City is finally confirmed...pretty much the same transfer fee and wages that Man. Utd. offered. Hopefully this puts to rest the argument that Tevez was just chasing money. The reason he left Man Utd. (a far better team than City) is because he was the odd man out and wanted a full time gig.

I love all these bogus rumors being spread by these stupid tabloids. Fabiano, Eto'o, Adebeyor, Terry, Puyol, Maicon all "linked" to Man City. Man City will be lucky to land one of them.

Man City have a very competitive squad now but they probably wont win anything this season. Man Utd., Liverpool and Chelsea will duke it out for the Premiership, 4th place is wide open but Arsenal remain the favorite right now to get the last UCL spot. If Man City continue to spend like this next summer, they'll be contenders for Premiership title in the 2010/11 season.

cosign, i think arsenal will once again fight for the 4th spot, but between chelsea, united, and liverpool i cant yet say who really has the squad to go allthe way next year. its going to be fun to see. What im hoping for is a classic end of the season battle between united and liverpool, which will make for asick fight because they both are tied right now for most premier league title wins, and united winning it all will finally see sir alex achieve what wasunthinkable when he first came to untied, and what better way to do it then to have ex-scouse michael owen on our side
devil.gif
lol

Hey was up NT, last week it was messi this week Ricardo Quaresma, Esteban Cambiasso, Fernando Palomo and an autographed Zlatan Ibrahimovic jersey.

-Two3

you got to give me tips on tracking down teams. I NEED to meet Messi when barca come to SF in a few weeks. Let me know!!!!!!!

1334 BST: Arsenal target Marouane Chamakh has revealed he would love to join them. The Bordeaux striker, who could be a replacement for EmmanuelAdebayor, said: "Arsenal would be a dream. If they were to come calling, I would certainly give them a positive answer."
Fullstory: Londoneveningstandard.com

1330 BST: Roma striker Mirko Vucinic has ruled out a move to Tottenham, reiterating he hopes to remain with the Italian club. (Press Association)

1320 BST: Hull and Wolves are rivals to sign Nantes midfielder Guirane N'Daw.
Full story: Skysports.com

1143 BST: German side Bayern Munich will not discuss selling midfielder Franck Ribery even if they receive an offer of more than 70m Euros (£60m) for himaccording to club manager Uli Hoeness. (Reuters)

0852 BST: Valencia are in talks to sell David Villa to Barcelona but not for less than 50m Euros (£43m).
Full story: Marca (in Spanish)

TRANSFER GOSSIP

Tottenham want to sign former Arsenal midfielder Patrick Vieira and have opened talks with the Inter Milan player. Spurs could capture the Frenchmanon a free transfer and pay-as-you-play deal.

Manchester City are on the brink of signing Arsenal striker Emmanuel Adebayor for £25m and wages of £130,000 per week.

Or, the fee will be £30m and the Togo striker will pick up wages of £170,000 a week.

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger could use the cash from the sale of Adebayor to sign Bordeaux striker Marouane Chamakh. (The Sun)

Chelsea captain John Terry wants the club to make him the highest-paid player at Stamford Bridge if he turns his back on Manchester City. Terry hasbeen offered £250,000 a week by the Eastlands outfit.

Arsenal are set to poach 17-year-old Chelsea winger Frank Nouble after he turned down professional forms with the Blues.

West Ham boss Gianfranco Zola wants to sign Barcelona striker Eidur Gudjohnsen on a season-long loan deal.

Liverpool midfielder Xabi Alonso has told Reds boss Rafael Benitez that he wants to join Real Madrid - but stopped short of handing in a transfer request.(Daily Star)

Aston Villa are aiming to complete a £24m double move for Tottenham striker Darren Bent and Middlesbrough winger Stewart Downing this week.

Villa are also set to bid £7m to land Leeds midfielder Fabian Delph, who is also wanted by Everton. (Daily Mirror)

Hull are set to make a £10m raid on Cardiff to sign winger Joe Ledley and striker Ross McCormack.

Sunderland have launched a £5m raid for West Ham centre-back James Collins. Fullstory: Daily Mail

Marseille midfielder Lorik Cana says he will move to Everton and back out of a deal to join Hamburg if the Toffees make a last-minute £6m bid forhim. Full story: DailyMail

Fulham are on the verge of signing West Brom midfielder Jonathan Greening in a deal that will see them hand the Baggies £2.5m, plus winger Hameur Bouazza.

Tottenham have offered £11m to sign Sheffield United full-backs Kyle Walker and Kyle Naughton.

Sheffield United are keen to capture Manchester City goalkeeper Kasper Schmeichel.

Everton boss David Moyes wants to take Port Vale teenager James Lawrie on trial. (Daily Star)

West Ham winger Julien Faubert is wanted by Bayer Leverkusen.

Fulham are also weighing up a move for South African midfielder Kagiso Dkigacoi, who currently plays for Golden Arrows. (Daily Star)

Everton have been offered Benfica midfielder Hassan Yebda for £3m.

Stoke are lining up a £750,000 bid for Southampton midfielder Adam Lallana in an attempt to beat Wolves to his signature.

Burnley are set to sign right-back Richard Eckersley after he turned down a new deal at Manchester United.

Leicester are closing in on £1.5m-rated Gillingham striker Simeon Jackson. (The Sun)

Newcastle defender Habib Beye has insisted he must leave the club in order to save his career - Blackburn are believed to be among those interested insigning him.

Preston are ready to sign Norwich midfielder Darel Russell in a deal that could result in North End winger Simon Whaley going the other way. (DailyStar)

Burnley are set to tie up a deal for Hamilton full-back Brian Easton for an initial fee of about £400,000.

Yeovil are giving a trial to striker Dean Bowditch, who has been released by Ipswich. (Daily Star)

Striker Lee Hughes is set for talks with Sheffield Wednesday and Doncaster after leaving Oldham. (Daily Star)

Norwich have taken former Sunderland and Leeds striker Michael Bridges and ex-Rangers forward Chris Craig on trial. (Daily Star)

Bristol City are set to sign Derby defender Lewin Nyatanga in a deal worth about £500,000. (Daily Star)

Stockport have handed former Manchester United midfielder Floribert N'Galula a trial as he looks for a move from Sparta Rotterdam. (DailyStar)

OTHER GOSSIP

Arabian billionaire Sulaiman Al Fahim is close to completing a takeover at Portsmouth after all the relevant checks were made. (DailyStar)

Stiliyan Petrov is the dressing room favourite to become Aston Villa skipper. Boss Martin O'Neill needs to choose a new captain following the sale ofGareth Barry and the retirement of Martin Laursen.

United will be just fine. Owen getting #7 is a good move. More motivation for him. As far as Owen is concerned, United is the biggest club he's ever playedfor, so he won't need more reasons to stay healthy. Lets, for a second, say Rooney and Owen get to the form of Euro 2004...its not hard to imaginethat....lights out.

I hope Tevez does well. I do find it a bit rich he went to city looking for more football when all they've bought is attacking players. I have no idea howthey're going to be contending for Europe when they have Hughes as a manager. He's tactically inept, and I question whether he can manage thoseplayers. They have a big squad for just the EPL and FA cup. Its going to be interesting there this season.

I wanted him to stay at United, but I thought it was a bad idea to pay the money to his owner. How does a man own another man? Shady Persian. I think Tevez isoverrated, and a mid range guy. He has yet to play a full season as a starting 11 player (remember at WHU he didn't even see the first team for thelongest). I hope he gets better, but my feeling is he'll drop off.

Yes, that was at ucla if anybody is interested inter will be practicing today at 10am and at 4:30, also messi is back in town again Santa Monica area you guysdidn't hear it from me

Originally Posted by c0nf0cal

United will be just fine. Owen getting #7 is a good move. More motivation for him. As far as Owen is concerned, United is the biggest club he's ever played for, so he won't need more reasons to stay healthy. Lets, for a second, say Rooney and Owen get to the form of Euro 2004...its not hard to imagine that....lights out.

I hope Tevez does well. I do find it a bit rich he went to city looking for more football when all they've bought is attacking players. I have no idea how they're going to be contending for Europe when they have Hughes as a manager. He's tactically inept, and I question whether he can manage those players. They have a big squad for just the EPL and FA cup. Its going to be interesting there this season.

I wanted him to stay at United, but I thought it was a bad idea to pay the money to his owner. How does a man own another man? Shady Persian. I think Tevez is overrated, and a mid range guy. He has yet to play a full season as a starting 11 player (remember at WHU he didn't even see the first team for the longest). I hope he gets better, but my feeling is he'll drop off.
i think you brought up good points, many of which i agree with.

i think owen is one of the most confident and thick-skinned players so i don't think he'll "feel the pressure" of the 7 shirt. and i have noworries about his abilities as a player still, and i believe he is still england's best finisher. it's just a matter of staying healthy. but he didmention recently that in the last two seasons, he's played something like 34 and 32 games. if he can do that for us, then that would be great.

and i agree about tevez. i don't know if a first team place is guaranteed there because he's not as good and versatile as robinho, and he can'tplay up front on his own. i'd prefer that he stayed too, but his contract situation was just a mess.

phil mcnulty on bbc wrote a good column about this. he was saying that losing tevez won't be that much of a deal for us and that rooney is the superiorplayer and goalscorer (which i agree).

Back
Top Bottom