2008 NT Boxing Post Vol. Oscar De La Hoya vs. Manny Pacquiao 12/6/08 HBO PPV

Floyd Mayweather Sr. isn't gonna get Oscar a win vs Floyd Mayweather.
Please Shane don't fight Mayorga there are better fights out there Shane will destroy Mayorga.

laugh.gif
Roy sellin himself....
pimp.gif

Roy #+!$ on chicken De la Pollo
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Honestly, Roy is the best boxin analyst Ive ever listened to

Roy saying he is p4p fighter.
laugh.gif
Roy would lose toPavlik/Taylor/Calzaghe/B-Hop.

Roy saying he is willing to go down to 166 to fight Oscar.
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
Roy just added glen Johnson and Antonio Tarver to his "fight wish" list
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

smh.gif
this dude "fast" eddie chambers got the nerve to show his face in public after that showing last weekend.
sick.gif

If the ring card girls are any indication the ladies of Hinckley, MN are nothing to write home about. Good lord the 1st two were heinous. Couldn't theyhave scoured the strip clubs of Minneapolis for some talent and bussed them in?

nothing pretty at all about that fight.

smh.gif
that is one of the worst fights ive ever seen.

laugh.gif
ring girls are horrible

2 right hands on the button = curtains.

Good night of boxing, FNF didnt fail to dissapoint and the TKO in the 2nd fight on ShoBox helped make up for the snoozefest.

ESPN�Web
[table][tr][td]
[/td] [/tr][/table]
[h1]Chat with Dan Rafael[/h1]

[table][tr][td]
rafael_dan_m.jpg
[/td] [/tr][/table]Welcome to The Show! On Friday, ESPN.com's boxing writer Dan Rafael, will log on to take your questions on all the latest news and notes frominside and outside the ring.
Send your questions now and join Dan this Friday at 1p.m. ET!

Rafael Archive: Chats | Columns

sn2.gif
DanRafael: Greetings Fight Freaks. The new notebook is up and there's a blog from yesterday. Not a whole lot going on this weekend, but still plentyto discuss. Let's get to it.

Chris (Los Angeles CA): D$ - Is it a bad omen for the promotion with Israel Vazquez's named being spelled WRONG on my ticket to the March1 fight???

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: If that is true, that is probably not agood sign. LOL.

Kenny from Bowie, Maryland: Dan, will the Oscar vs Floyd fight be in Vegas. I am waiting for final word to make my reservations!

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: Most likely it will be in Las Vegas, butit's still eight months away and anything can happen. Oscar could lose his May fight. There could be an injury, You never know, so I am not sure I would gomaking reservations just yet unless you can do it without it costing you anything.

Greg(Los Angeles): Dan where does Clottey stand now that Cintron is fighting Magarito and the winner will probably fight Cotto?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: Good question. Cintron will almostcertainly get an exception from the IBF to do the Margarito fight. The winner will then have to fight Clottey, but will instead move on to fight Cotto if hewins. If that happens, the IBF belt will become vacant and Clottey will fight for the vacant title, with a reasonable expectation that it would probably happenon the Cotto-Cintron/Margarito winner undercard.

JR (Chicago, IL): Mosley knocks out Mayorga in over/under 5 rounds.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: I think Mayorga lasts longer than thatbut a Shane KO would be my pick if the fight is made.

Billy (Patchogue, New York): Andy Lee AND Yuriorkis Gamboa on FNF in the next two months!??! Kudos to ESPN. Anyways, if you had to pick, whodo you feel is the better prospect?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: Yes, it is great that ESPN2 will haveboth guys on. They are both tremendous prospects. I think both have future p4p potential.

Brian (Anaheim, CA): Can't wait for the DLH v PBF II's 24/7!!!

Reid (Cleveland, OH): Dan the Man - Any word on when we will see Mikkel Kessler back in the ring?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: Nothing that I am aware of at themoment.

Steve (NYC): so Did you decide on whether to fly out to watch WILLIAMS - QUINTANA fight?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: I won't be at that fight.There's a lot of big fights coming up and I will be traveling for Pavlik-Taylor 2 and Klitschko-Ibragimov as well as fights in March. I will watchWilliams-Quintana from my house and maybe do an RAD chat afterward.

Tom (Danbury,CT): Buy or Sell this busy schedule coming up for Gamboa is a good thing for him.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: Good thing. He's ready for goodfighters and he has ample amateur experience.

Chris (Kalamazoo, MI): Dan, if Calzaghe puts on a dominant performance against Hopkins, is there any chance that he overtakes Mayweather inyour pound-for-pound rankings?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: Doubtful.

Bill (Oxnard, Ca): D$, great notebook! But why havent we heard from Victor Ortiz. The rumor is he is having contract disputes, any truth tothat?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: Victor is having issues with Top Rank.He's young and thinks he knows a lot more about the boxing business than he does.

Steve, Sac, Ca: Dano, Buy or Sell, Roger Mayweather going shopping in DLH PBF 24/7 part 2

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: I hope not!

Joe (Pensacola, FL) : Dan, how do you think Cintron, who seems emotionally fragile, is going to be mentally leading up to the rematch withMargs?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: It is going to be difficult I think butone thing that is good for Cintron is that he has Emanuel Steward, who, in addition to being a great trainer, is one of the best of all-time when it comes tohaving a fighter mentally prepared.

Brooks (Cleveland): Dan - Do you have any inside scoop regarding what is going on with Teddy Atlas? It would be a horrible shame if he waspermanently gone from FNF.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: It is my understanding that Teddy willnot be on tonight's show. Roy Jones Jr. will fill in for him this week. What happens next week, I have no idea and nobody has told me a thing.

Joseph (Baltimore, MD): If Oscar and Floyd really wanted to break the bank, their pre-fight media blitz should include appearances on Dr.Phil, Jerry Springer, and Oprah. The backstory to this fight would really draw in the casual fan.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: I agree.

Chris (Appleton, WI): RJJ?! That should be interesting as always.

Mario (Bell Gardens, CA): Danaconda, with Floyd Sr. training Oscar, do you give Oscar a better chance of winning?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: Yes.

Brian (Anaheim, CA): Why do you think Mayweather Sr. has agreed to be DLH's trainer again?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: He's getting paid.

Randy (Cincinnati, OH): Dan, why does it seem that networks aren't interested in the cruiserweight division? Bell-Adamek is another reallyinteresting match-up to me.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: I totally agree. It is a terrific actionfight. I have no idea. Cruiserweights are interesting right now with those guys, Cunningham, Mormeck (never makes a bad fight), Huck (also entertaining),plenty of good talent. These are the guys the size of the old-time heavyweights, too.

Joe (Pensacola, FL): D-Nice, any word on the Izzy-Rafa III undercard yet? Don't these guys need time to train?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: There will not be a Showtime-televisedundercard bout, so whatever is going to be on the undercard won't be anything significant. I'm sure the matchmakers are doing the smaller fights as wespeak.

Mario (Bell Gardens, CA): With Floyd Sr. in his corner, you have to think Oscar is going to throw the jab ALOT more this time! That's whathe was missing the last time!!!!

Brian (Iqaluit, NU): Dan the man - will the Joan Guzman vs. Alex Arthur be shown on HBO or Showtime?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: Frank Warren won a purse bid yesterdayfor the fight and will do the fight in April in the UK. It is quite possible there won't be any US TV for that fight.

Steve, Sac, Ca: Dano, Any news on that potential fight with the "love child"?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: It is being worked on. It will probablybe HBO's May BAD main event, although the exact date is not set because the month's boxing schedule is not 100% settled yet.

Billy (Patchogue, New York): I know the fight will probably make money on PPV (and has to be because of business), but Mayorga v. Mosley onHBO PPV? That's a terrible injustice.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: From the input I have gotten in thischat, many people agree with you. Problem is Mosley wants to fight and there is no HBO date for him so the choice is either don't fight or do the fight onPPV.

Joe (Pensacola, FL) : Just curious, who would you have favored between Andrade and Bika? I hope this fight comes together at some point

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: Would have loved to see the fight. Iwould lean to Andrade in that fight but it's a toss-up that would have been action packed.

Zo (AZ): DR, Guzman didn't help himself the way he fought last time on TV, so I can't see networks jumping to televise any of hisfights

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: I agree. Thing is, Arthur is always inexciting fights. He's one of my favorite British fights to watch.

Jon (St. Paul, MN): Dan, that pic you have of Ruiz-Valuev on the notebook is hilarious. Ruiz looks like a flyweight in comparison.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: Valuev's size is not to be believeduntil he is seen in person. Ruiz is no small guy either, by the way.

Aaron (Dighton, MA): Dan, do you think HBO will do a 24/7 series for Hopkins/Calzaghe? I think it would be VERY interesting.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: Probably not especially since the fightis on HBO and not on HBO PPV and those series are very expensive.

Steve, Sac, Ca: Dano, does D. Hopkins get exposed when he fights Witter?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: I think so. I think Witter punishes him.

Zo (AZ): DR, can you sweet talk King and Golden Boy to load up the undercard for the proposed Mosley/Mayorga fight to make it an even moreattractive PPV card? More Alexander please!

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: Obviously, when a fight like that is anice fight but could be a tough sell, it would make sense to put on a terrific undercard to induce the core fans to buy the fight. But if it is made Idon't think we will see Alexander on it because most likely it will be Golden Boy's undercard.

Tom (Danbury,CT): Does the Gorres/Darchinyan matchup fit the two boxers with the shortest combined first names in history?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: You're a sick freak for eventhinking about that, but you could be right.

Joe (Pensacola, FL) : Dan, as much as I respect The Ring, don't you think that Floyd should eventually get stripped of the linear belt ifhe goes another year or more without fighting any of the top guys at 147? I know he's made big fights, but he's pretty much had that belt on ice sincetaking it from Baldomir and it seems like all the young guns at 147 are never going to get their shot at that coveted trinket.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: Without threatening banishment orgetting crazy here I will just say this: You can't strip the linear title. It is a fact, not an opion that Mayweather is linear champion and he can'tlose it no matter what anyone says or does unless he loses a title fight or retires.

Hannity, Idaho: Can Gomez really make it out of round 2 with Cotto? Talk about an obliteration. Should be entertaining though.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: I would be stunned if Gomez didn'tlast some rounds. He's got a good chin and toughness. I think Cotto will win, but I don't think he will knock him out in two rounds.

Mike (Chicago): What's possible for BAD in April?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: There probably won't be one.

JP (Columbus, OH): I feel weird saying this, but I actually agree with everything Floyd Sr. said about PBF's "crew". And Floyddoes look like a "damn fool" sometimes.

Bert (Minneapolis): D$, sweet chat w/ Pavlik earlier. How many buys will his 2nd fight w/ Taylor pull in? I'm curious if you thinkhe's one of the bigger draws yet?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: It's a tough one to call. I thinkthe rematch will do at least 225,000 on PPV.

Erland: San Francisco, CA: We need Teddy Atlas to go over to Showtime and start ripping on them for their unnatural obsession with GaryShaw...

Marc (Philly): It doesnt matter who is calling the fights next week, when Steve "USS" Cunningham will be the studio guest

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: And I am sure you will be recording itand using Steve's voice clips on your answering machine.

Steve (NYC): is the guy BERTO is facing any good?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: He's facing Michel Trabant fromGermany. He is a legitimate fighter with good experience. I think he is a step up from any of the opponents Berto has fought so far. Trabant has fought for aversion of the world title and faced some good opponents. While Berto should win, it is a step up in competition.

Jarrod Indiana: Dan, a lot of writers seem to be following your lead and referring to "titlists" and "belt-holders" andnot calling everyone a damn champ unless they actually are...could be were heading in the right direction??

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: That is what I hope for every day. Itgets hard fighting the fight in the wilderness sometimes. So I am glad others are starting to catch on.

Judge (Philadelphia): Marc, You are coming dangerously close to violating your restraining order again.

Jorge (East Los Angeles): Dan, I just got my tickets for Williams\Quintanna. Has Arreola been solidified for the card yet?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: Yes, but unfortunately, he is fightingCliff Couser, a bout that should go maybe 1 or 2 rounds.

Shane(Atlanta): Dan, I like the FNF lineup coming up, how do you see the Ouma-Bundrage fight playing out?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: Crossroads fight. Both guys really needa win. I think Ouma, if his head is on straight, should win. But after seeing Ouma in recent fights, a Bundrage win would not be a shock.

Erland: San Franisco, CA: Not that I'm complaining, but, wouldn't it have made more sense to put Pavlik-Taylor on regular HBO to buildup a new young star and put Hops-Calzaghe on PPV? Hops and Calzaghe are at the end of their careers. You aren't exactly building towards a future payoff byputting them on "free" HBO.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: Yes, but the timing of when the rematchcontractually had to be made by, combined with HBO's already set February schedule made that impossible. All things being equal, I am sure HBO would haveopted for Pavlik-Taylor 2 on HBO and Hopkins-Calzaghe on PPV if they could only put one on HBO. That said, it is great that Hop-Joe C. will be on regular HBO.Both of the fights could very easily have been PPVs.

Joe (Pensacola, FL): If Showtime refers to Woods-Tarver as a unification bout I'm going to lose it

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: Tarver is already calling it that, whichis a freakin' joke.

Neal Joliet, IL: How about Barrera on the Mosley undercard? They've double-billed before with the Cruz/Peden fights. Would Mayorga'sfee make this cost prohibitive? If Barrera fought an inexpensive opponent then this might spice the card up and be realistic too

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: I can see that happening.

Harold(Woodbury,NJ): My first journey into the land of the freaks...It seems as though people are giving Jermain Taylor no shot against Pavlikwhen he very nearly had him outta there. Why Dan why?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: Welcome to Freakville. I have no idea.Anyone who thinks Jermain is not live in the fight is crazy. He could easily stop Pavlik. And Pavlik, of course, could easily knock him out again. It's theuncertainty that makes me excited for the fight.

IBO: Dan, please do not make fun of our prestigious belt. We will sue you.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: Go for it.

Jarrod Indiana: Dan, a lot of ppl are getting down on Gomez fighting Cotto, but Gomez is actually the bigger figther. Has taken shots fromguys who are middle and super middleweights; I think it could wind up being a good fight!!

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: Amen.

Jorge (East Los Angeles): Dan, Our bandwagon for Alexander is getting big! Any word on his opponent under the Spinks\Verno card?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: Not yet.

Don (Buffalo, NY): Dan - I think it is time for you to shut off the KISS Dvd, put down the Quizno's Sub, put away the Bobbleheads, andfinish the January Divisional Rankings. It is now Febuary 1st, and the freaks are waiting.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: The rankings have been done for a coupleof weeks. That they have not been posted is out of my control. I compile and write them. I do not run the site.

Rui (Nutley, NJ): Montiel and Castillo on the Pavlik/Taylor card is a real pick em fight. Who do you lean towards?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: Very good fight if Montiel comes tofight instead of dance, like he has sometimes done. That said, it's a pick 'em to me. I sort of like Castillo in a mild upset.

Eric (New York, NY): What's the latest on Byrd and the Cruiserweight division? And does he have enough left in the tank to succeed?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: Byrd told me last week for my notebookthat he is definitely going to cruiser. In fact, he petitioned one of the organizations (I forget which one and don't really care) and has already beenranked in the top 10. I think Chris has enough left to compete with those smaller guys.

Rags (NYC): True or False? Sal Musumeci said that Rahman was the original opponent for Derric Rossy in China, but Rock pulled out?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: False. Rock was never set to be theopponent. Did they talk about the fight? Sure. Was there a deal? No, as far as I know.

Bill (Oxnard, CA): D-bizzle, will I get band as a freak if I am unaware of the Alexander you refer too?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: I speak of Devon Alexander from St.Louis. I will not ban you for asking that. But I may for spelling it band (like the music group) instead of banned, which probably will happen to someone laterin this chat.

James (Mora NM): "Winky the promoter needs to get Winky the boxer a fight!!" Freaking hilarious (AND TRUE!)!

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: I am pleased to see you have read thisweek's random thoughts blog.

Chris (Appleton, WI): Whatever happened to Arum's claim that Pavlik's middleweight title fight would take place in Cleveland (or atleast Ohio)?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: I know Bob would love to do a fightthere, but it is not in the cards right now. The fight in a couple of weeks is in Vegas and then he's likely to be in New York. Assuming Kelly fights inthe fall, it could be in Ohio.

Rags: Does Top Rank have any real plans for Tye Fields, or is he just an attraction fighter?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: He's a bit of a draw in Vegas, sothat is where he is fighting now, but I know Arum thinks he can get him a shot of some kind in a meaningful fight in Europe at some point.

Steve, Sac,Ca: Dano, any ideas as who DLH fights on 5/3?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: I will almost certainly be Steve Forbes.

JP (Columbus, OH): Good luck getting ANYONE to want to go to Youngstown. Barf!

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: I would love to cover Kelly in hishometown. Some of the most fun fights have been going to cover a fight in the hero's hometown. For example, it was fun going to Little Rock to cover aTaylor fight and a blast going to Puerto Rico to cover a Cotto fight.

Joe (Pensacola, FL): Dan, buy or sell. Ding-a-ling Man gets a title shot in 2008 (assuming he gets by Flores)

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: Buy. I think eventually, he will eitherget a shot because someone offers it to him or because he becomes mandatory.

Tyron (San Diego): I seriously think that Winky committed his biggest error in not pushing for the Taylor remtach, he was a hot fighter andeven though losing to Bhop isn't terrible, it took away from his marketability.

Crickets Chirping: We'll be sure to be at Winky Promotions' next press conference.

Ethers (London,Uk): How does the Amir Khan fight end this weekend....do you think he can Ko st clair???

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: I think it goes the distance with Khanwinning.

Jackson (IA): DVD Pick of the Week??

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: It's called the blog. Read it.

Michael (Chicago): Is Diaz Campbell definitely on?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: No. The Diaz camp is still having issueswith Don King.

Steve, Sac, Ca: Dano, what fights that you have covered over the years stands out as far as the fighters really hating each other?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: Morales and Barrera. Those cats despisedeach other, espeically Morales toward Barrera. That was no show.

Jeff (South Daktoa): Dan I missed your Last Friday chat & went to look for it in the archives & it's not there? Do you know whereI can find It?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: It should be in the archives in the nextcouple of days.

Kevin: What ever happened to Shane's cousin, Larry Mosley?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: First off, they are not cousins and ofno relation. As for where Larry has been lately, I have no idea.

Billy (Patchogue, New York): I read somewhere that SI was following around Kelly Pavlik last week. Two things: (1)Are they doing a story onhim and (2) SI wants us to conveniently forget that they gave boxing its last rites in May.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: My understanding is that, yes, SI isdoing a piece on Pavlik ahead of the fight.

Ron (DC): when are the new ratings going to be posted?

Mayo, New Jersey: DTM its Fedruary 1st...what happened to the January rankings??!?!?!

Chris (Appleton, WI): No January divisional rankings? What's up? I hope you still got paid for doing them!

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: I believe this has been addressedearlier in the chat. I appreciate all the desire to see the new rankings.

Joe (Pensacola, FL) : D$$, I met Tony Weeks in Vegas two weeks ago. What an incredibly nice guy who loved talking boxing. Are most refs likethat?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: Most of them are. Tony, Kenny Bayless,Joe Cortez, Steve Smoger, etc... You name them and most referees I have met over the years are good guys.

Chris (Los Angeles CA): D$ - You've long said that only once and your journalistic career that you rooted AGAINST someone in a fight. Youwon't say who, but can you say if the guy lost like you hoped?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: What makes you think I will ever give itup?

Silv (NY, NY): Dan, just wanted to mention that I was in Puerto Rico at the Intercontinental casino on Wednesday night and none other butWinky Wright was shooting craps (weighed down by a blinged out wristwatch that likely cost more than my condo). Winky was kind, polite and welcoming to myhandshake and photo request, chatting for a few minutes as to his future plans (fight in May, if "anyone will fight him). Class act all the way.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: Nothing you said surprises me because a)Winky is a major gambler and b) Winky is a cool guy who enjoys meeting his fans.

Bert (Minneapolis): D$, it was my first chance watching Povetkin last weekend. I hope he doesn't fight Wlad. Do you see Wlad destroyinghim with nothing but straight right hands?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: As I wrote after the fight, Povetkin isgood but he is not ready for a fighter of Wlad's ability yet.

Joel Julio: Hi Dad! Go Giants!!

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, the Love Child.I couldn't agree with you more. Let's go Big Blue!

Aaron (Hartford): Dan....give us 3 current title holders that will lose their belts in 08 ..

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: Joe Calzaghe (because he will vacate orbe stripped), Gavin Rees and Felix Sturm.

JKGaucho: (DC): Oleg Maskaev, S Ibragimov and Kermit Cintron.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: There's someone else's opinion.I should have included Ibragimov.

Chris (Appleton, WI): Do you think Holt will ever get his rematch with Torres?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: If he beats Tackie, I think he will. TopRank wants to do it.

Billy (Patchogue, New York): My brother and I were trying to convince my dad that Eddie Chambers made out with a nice purse for lastweek's fight. We said it was around six figures and of course, he disagreed, saying it was lower. Any idea what he made (ballpark estimate)?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: I don't know his exact purse but youcan count on it having been at least low six figures.

Chris (Appleton, WI): Winky Wright should just go with Gary Shaw, because then he'd get cakewalk fights for a lot of money on Showtime.

Cody: (Missoula, MT): What division do you think is the strongest right now and why?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: Welterweight. Just look at the top 10.Loaded.

Colton (Chico, CA): John "The Octopus" Ruiz is like one of those horror monsters that keeps coming back for another sequel afterbeing killed off for the Nth time. Please reassure me that King won't be able to get him back into the mix.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: If Ruiz beats McCline he will be back inthe hunt whether any of us like it or not.

Steve, Sac, Ca: Dano, will HBO show the Duddy fight on the Wlad card?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: No.

pribs (Bethlehem, PA): I understand why the Mayorga fight would make sense for Mosley. But could we at least skip the press conferences? Idon't think anyone needs to see Mayorga and Jin trade insults!

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: I agree! But come on, that will be funwon't it? She won't take any of his crap.

Ricardo (LA): Dan, what can you tell me about Chavez Jr's opponent next week? Step up or lateral move? Good luck to your Giants!

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: Jose Celaya is a step up in my opinion.He was a promising fighter who never really developed but he's not bad. For a long time, he was a protege of Shane Mosley.

R (Yay Area!): Heard that GBP offered Ponce De Leon a title shot against El Nino De Oro Jorge Linares? Any truth?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: It's a fight that has been mentionedbut there was no firm offer because Golden Boy does not promote Linares and Linares is on the shelf at the moment with an injury any way. But that would be ahell of a fight.

Chris (Westport, CT): what's up with Mayweather sr calling Freddy Roach the "joke coach"?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: Big Floyd's attempt at weak humor.

Gerardo, Chicago, IL: Dan. Do you think Shane would ever fight Vernon Forrest again?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: I think under the right circumstances,yes. Shane has never ducked anyone.

JKGaucho: (DC): I have to ask you again, what is next for King Kong? Please tell DK to get something for him or let him go.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: Joseph Agbeko has nothing scheduled atthe moment, but the folks at DKP told me they'd like to add him to one of their upcoming cards, which could mean maybe on the Spinks-Phillips show.

Joe (Pensacola, FL): Dan, regarding Winky's situation, have you spoken with him about this? Is he upset about the spot he's in? Is heforcing the issue or does he seem content with letting his career wind down?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: I haven't spoken to Winky since theMayweather-Hatton fight. When we spoke then, he seemed cool with what was up. He just figured when a big fight was there, he'd take it and seemed contenton waiting for one to land at his feet.

Mike (Bridgeport, Ct): Any chance Mayweather has a fight before Oscar???

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: No.

Kevin (NYC): Do you care about the Amin Askianen - Yory Boy Campas fight happening later today in Finland?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: Only to the extent that Askinainen is atop 10-12 middleweight, so let's see if he can put away a shot Campas.

Steve (NYC): does QUINTANA have a prayer of chance against PUNISHER?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: I consider him a live dog.

Matt (portland, OR): Hey Dan, can you help me out with the RADs. Living on the West Coast I either have to watch the fight in non-HD and chator what until you've already gone to bed, what's a freak to do?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: Move to the East Coast.

Ricardo Williams, Jr. (State Pen): Way to go, Timmy Austin! Keep making Cincinnati proud, just like me!

Eric (Manhattan): Aren't the promoters fooling themselves into thinking that DLH-Mayweather II is going to be a big event? Yeah,they're both big names, but their last fight was boring. Mayweather is now a big name on his own and the press could build up a fight against Cotto bysaying here's a legitimate challenge. That will get the public interested. Think Leonard-Hearns I. The general public didn't know Hearns, but the eventwas huge.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: Mayweather-Oscar 2 is a massive event.Still the biggest fight in the sport.

blake: do you expect either fighter to change styles for the taylor pavlik rematch?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: No. Both fighters are who they are andneither is going to make any radical changes to the style that they have used forever.

JP (Columbus, OH): Jermain's online chat was kinda interesting, in that he basically said that he doesn't love boxing - he just doesit for the money - What percentage of boxers do you think feel similarly?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: There several I am sure. Jermain atleast is honest about it. I hate to hear that but what can you do?

Billy (Patchogue, New York): Marc from Philly is always entertaining. He's my favorite freak.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: You're going to give him a big headand cause him to hug Steve Cunningham too hard.

Neal Joliet, IL: Wouldn't you prefer Judah over Mayorga as a Mosley opponent for May? Both seem like entertaining fights but a Judah fightwould be even better. I have a hard time seeing a vast difference in marketablity either.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: That would be fine too. In fact, if theycan't make a deal with Mayorga, Judah is next on their list.

Angel, Carson City: I think Steve Molitor deserves some love from US TV - how about a match with Caballero?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: I'd love it but try convince HBO orShowtime of that and it's not going to be a very good conversation.

Lennox Lewis: We need divisional rankings, absolutely.

Kyle (Indianapolis): Will the former Contender champ Grady Brewer ever fight again, or is he officially done?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: He's supposed to have surgery Ithink today on his knee. He'll be out for quite a while, at least 6 months but has told the "Contender" folks that he wants to get healthy andcontinue his career.

Roy Jones Jr (Pensacola): I'm callin' out Ivan Calderon and I wanted to announce it on your chat! I'm willing to go down and meethim at 158 if he wants to come on up! Bring it on, Iron boy!

Joe (Detroit, MI) : Dan, have you ever seen a 39 year old fighter that looked as good as RJJ did against Trinidad?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: Not sure about 39, but how about anover-40 Hopkins just thrashing Tarver?

Dave, San Jose: Dan, I was watching PTI this week and DLH was a topic. Tony and Le Betarde just talked about how boxing was dead for the wholesegment. Why doesn't ESPN put you on to educate these idiots?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: Those guys don't know jack aboutboxing. Just ignorance. Just because there's no American heavyweight they think the sport is dead. I hate to tell them that last year was the greatestrevenue year in the sport's history.

Briks, Philly: Not surprised to hear Jermains comments. During the countdown show for Pavlik, he said he never watched other boxing matches,and that alone blew my mind.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: Me too.

Jon (DC): Dandy Dan, how fun is it to speak to Mike Katz? He is a curmudgeon, but seems funny and has immense knowledge.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: Mike is a great writer who has beendoing it a long time. He is indeed a grump, but I've always had a soft spot for him. He really helped me a lot when I first started covering boxing and Ihave always appreciated it.

Aaron (Hartford): Is there a countdown show for Pavlik Taylor II ?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: Yes, it debuts on HBO right after theWilliams-Quintana fight next Saturday night.

Ty (Detroit, MI): Speaking of PTI, do you happen to know Michael Wilbon? Outside of you he's my favorite journalist, hopefully he is doingbetter.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: I don't know Mike well, but I havemet him at a few fights and he is a good guy. Being that I live in Northern Virginia, I get the Washington Post every day and always read his columns. He seemsto be doing better. In today's paper, he had his first column since his heart attack and wrote about the experience. It is worth checking out either in thepaper or on the Post Web site.

John (D-town Texas): Can we please have an undercard for DLH-PBF II that features Roger Mayweather vs. Floyd Mayweather Senior? They don'thave to fight...just talk trash. I think that would be the most entertaining bout of the evening.

Tom (Danbury,CT): Whatever happened to Elio Rojas? He seemed like a great prospect but once he lost he kind of vanished into thin air

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: He lost a very close fight to GamalielDiaz. Now he is supposed to fight Hector Velazquez in a WBC elimination fight.

Rich, NJ: Long delay....bat phone ring?

sn2.gif

Neal Joliet, IL: HBO gonna hire a BAD analyst anytime soon? I think they should just pay Kellerman more money to do it since there are so fewWCB dates and he splits PPV duties anyways

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: You must have missed it, but Max is thefull-time BAD analyst now.

Dirk Diggler (NYC): Uncle Bob Arum says that the Marquez - Pacquiao fight has the possibility of generating 500,000 PPV buys. Is he insane ordo you find this to be possible?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: I don't think it will do that muchbut I think it will be huge compared to other PPV fights in the 126-130 divisions. I think it can be the biggest grossing of them all -- meaning I think it hasa chance to hit 400,000.

Buster Douglas: A GMEN victory would be on the same historic level of my knockout of Tyson....thoughts?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: It would be up there as one of thebiggest upsets in sports history and I look forward to savoring it.

Marc (Philly): I am leaving for of all places quiznos so dont anyone talk bad about me

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: I know it's cold out there, soremember to put on a hat like Cunningham's big dopey one.

Joe Petka (Philly): Dan, Just curious, why do you live in VA, I would have thought that a national boxing reporter would live in Las Vegas.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: I live here because this is where Imoved when I started working for USA TODAY, which is based in Northern Va. When I left the paper for ESPN my wife and I decided to remain here because we likeliving here. It's a great place to live, not to mention that it is where my wife has her career.

Louis (Montreal): Dan, I need an advice form a boxing freak. Should I go and buy a ticket for the Bute-Joppy fight even though it's agimme or should I stay home and watch it on TV because I don't want to condone Interbox for bringing us fans such a bad matchup?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: Tough call. Although I believe it is amismatch, if you are a Bute fan there is nothing wrong with supporting him. Besides, I suspect the scene will be pretty awesome there for his first defense.

yorkis (philly): Dan, I'm having a baby girl in March! any pugilistic name suggestions I can slip past my wife?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: Evanderella? I suggested that once for afriend's cat but she didn't go for it.

John (Grand Rapids, MI): Would you give up Quiznos for 5 years for a GMEN win on Sunday?

sn2.gif

Dominic (San Francisco): Thanks for doing the chats every week Dan. Just wanted to say after reading Jermaine Taylor's chat, he was verystraightforward with his answers and replied to tough questions. Is he that genuine in person?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: Yes, Jermain comes across as an honestguy when you talk to him. Pretty straight forward. No frills.

bill (carmel, ny): is the first time that marc from philly has not eaten at steve cunningham's pizza place?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: Good question. He better be eatingthere.

Peeps- NYC: How about Cunninghamette

Mikey R (Chicago): Dan, after reading your blog this week. I wanted to know what Salvador Sanchez fights are must see's. I never seen himfight. Help a deprived freak out!

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: Sanchez was a great fight. Sometimestechnical and not thrilling but he has some great fights. The Nelson fight is a great one. I also love the Gomez fight. That was great stuff and what a crowd.

Mario (Bell Gardens, CA): Tell Yorkis to name his baby girl Tarverina. It sounds better than Evanderella. That would be hilarious!

Patrick (City of Angels and Smog): Thank heavens! Yorkis is still alive!

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: Yeah, it's been awhile sincehe's chatted.

Chris (Kalamazoo, MI): How about Migeula for the baby girl Yorkis? It's not that far fetched.

Rich, NJ: Yorkis can go with a nod to the past. Arguella!

Tim (Lincoln): Yorkis, just call her "Love Child". Seems to work pretty well around here!

Foreman (Houston): How about George? Worked for all my kids...

Brian (Brooklyn): How about plain old Kelly.

Richard (Franklin Park, NJ): Hey Dan, Had some free time at work and am sneaking onto the chat. I couldn't pass up this suggestion forYorkis. Joella Julia...

John( D-town Texas): If she is named Tarverina, is she automatically a "champion" according to Showtime?

andrew (fort lee, new jersey): who gets a fight first, v-forrest or winky?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: Too close to call. I wish they wouldfight each other.

WBO: We already have Yorkis' daughter ranked 5th in our rankings.

Moses(Tucson, AZ): If Andre Berto wins his next fight, might we see him take a step up to larger paydays? Perhaps vs. Zab Judah?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: If Berto wins, he won't take a fightof that level just yet. But maybe something like that by the end of '08.

yorkis (philly): Awesome suggestions! I love Joella Julia!

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: We Freaks can be quite helpful can'twe?

alejandro(appleton,wi.): i thought alfonso gomez was looking to fight julio c chavez jr. and now i here he is fighting miguel cotto, how comethe fight didn't happen.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: Because Arum decided to do a differentfight with Chavez Jr.

Nate (Seattle, WA): I'm spending more time focusing on the chat than I am with my Venezuelan Equine Encephalitis Virus detection assay.What can I say...I love boxing! Hopefully I didn't spill anything!

Big M (Atlanta): Chambers entered the ring all by himself, no entourage and no trainers. I don't think I have ever seen that! Have you?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: Actually, in Germany very often fighterswalk to the ring by themselves.

Matt (Washington, DC): I see your schedule now has the other fights for the Williams-Berto card. Why would Chris Arreola fight yet another guyhe'll knock out within two rounds (Cliff Couser)?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: The fight was made sort of on shortnotice and is not on TV, therefore not much money in the fight. Plus, it is hard finding opponents for Arreola. On top of that, his handlers are going to riskhim in a small fight when he is poised for something major.

Jose Garcia Puerto Rico: Will Cotto fight mayweather jr any time soon?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: The question is will Mayweather fightCotto any time soon?

Matt (Washington, DC): Dan, you know I love the welterweights. With Floyd preoccupied with Oscar, Cotto having his dance card full, andMargarito and Cintron vying to get a shot at Cotto, what's out there for Paul Williams if he gets by Quintana? Shane? Contender out of left field likeJackson Bonsu?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: Williams is in a tough spot because theother top guys are doing other things and Mosley is probably fighting Mayorga. A guy like Bonsu is not credible for US TV and few have ever heard of him sounless he's mandatory, don't count on that either.

Pete (California): Is Michael Moorer still "trying" to make a comeback???

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: He's got a fight coming up in Dubai.

Mario (Bell Gardens, CA): I read your blog Dan and I'm concerned about your indecisiveness about who will win between JM Marquez andPacquaio. Have no more doubt Dan: Marquez wins by unanimous decision this time. Marquez is a good enough counterpuncher to handle Pacquaio.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: If you say so. I still have not made upmy mind.

Matt (Cleveland, OH): Any truth to what Ive heard of Popkins-Calzaghe at the Thomas & Mack Center at UNLV?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: That is where it is.

Sean (Canton, OH): What did you think of Chamber lack of conditionging?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: If you can't get in shape for thebiggest fight of your career there is cause for concern.

Billy (Patchogue, New York): Any idea where you're leaning for Taylor/Pavlik II?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: Yes, in my office.

Shane (Selah, WA): Dan, If the Mosley-Mayorga fight happens and Mosley wins like he should do you see him continuing his career, or could thisbe it for the Sugar Man?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: If Shane beats Mayorga (or whomever hefights in May) I think he would keep fighting. He's still a top fighter and if he still enjoys it and can make a lot of money doing it, he should fight afew more fights.

Zo (AZ): Dumber questions: Media Day for the Super Bowl, or every Friday on your chats?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: Defintely Super Bowl media day. At leasta lot of the freaks know their stuff.

Biff (Philly): Mandatory viewing for all fight freaks tomorrow night on Showtime - the replay of Marquez-Vazquez I and II!!!

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: Good reminder.

Hal (Memphis): I know his career if functionally over, but any news about whether James "Lights Out" Toney will ever fight again?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: James will fight again. He is lookingfor a fight. Maybe coming back in March or so.

Kyle (Indy): Zab Judah vs. Mosely at the end of 08???

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: Good fight.

Banishment: Feed me.........

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: You may have to go hungry today.

Steve, Sac, Ca: Dano, do you think Cintron is making a mistake by fighting someone of Margorito's caliber that soon after the hand injury?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: No. If he's ready to go, he'sready to go. The hand could go against anyone.

boxing-guru (saint louis, mo): Don't know why people are still talking about Judah! He is done & is merely just a gate-keeper at thispoint...

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: He's better than that. And even ifhe isn't, he's made for some dramatic fights.

Josh (Lincoln, NE): Any updates on a possible Hatton-Malignaggi fight or is Paulie going to make the rematch with Lovemore?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: There has been talk of that fight, butnot until late this year. So both guys would fight in the interim and Paulie could certainly face Lovemore again before a proposed Hatton match.

John (TX): When is Tyson's next fight?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: I don't think Banishment is hungryany more. Enjoy your meal.

Mark (LV, NV): You have constantly said Malignaggi isnt going to have to fight NDou...well it looks like thats going to happen. What do youhave say about that ?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: It may happen because the promoter maybe able to sell it in a place like Italy or on a Hatton undercard. Paulie also put it off to take care of a mandatory.

Billy (Patchogue, New York): John from Texas...meet Banishment. Banishment...meet John from Texas.

Banishment: ding ding ding ding...we have a winner....

Banishment: *Gulp!* Spicy! He was from Texas, wasn't he?

Josh (Lincoln, NE): Looks like banishment will not go hungry this week.

Frank (Clifton Park): Dan, can we fight? Lets set something up. We can do it in the Shenendehowa Parking lot or in the smoking area!

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: Nice. Clifton Park in the house!

Erik (Atlanta, Ga.): Dan if the bat phone rang today and you were told that Vlad, Hatton, V. Forest, Glen Johnson careers were over would anyof them make the HOF?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: At this point, I would not vote for anyof them.

Mike (Chicago): Mosely-Mayorga is a waste of time, call up Richard Schaefer and tell him the freaks wants Mosely-Judah!

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: I'll pass it along.

bill (carmel, ny): dan, do you have 100 other tyson posts we never see and just show one when we need to satisfy banishment's appetite?

sn2.gif

Patrick (City of Angels and Smog): 2 hours in! That might be a record for longest time in chat before first banishment.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: Good things come to those who wait.

Josh (Lincoln, NE): Who is closest of that HoF group? That's kind of tough...

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: Of that group outlined, probably Hattonat this point.

Marc (Philly): I decided to skip quiznos and eat yet another Slice of USS Cunningham Pizza..Best slice in twon

Kyle (Indy): Regarding the HOF question, what about Cassamayor, and Pacquio?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: Pacquiao yes. Casamayor very borderlinebut I would probably say no.

Pete (Brooklyn): Dan, HOF yes or no: John Ruiz.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: Is Banishment still hungry?

Banishment: I will have Pete for dessert

Josh (Lincoln, NE): Ruiz would probably grab onto banishment's tongue. Tough eat.

John (Grand Rapids, MI): Do you have Ali v Norton III on DVD/VHS and do you know who owns the rights to it? I'd like to see how badlyNorton was 'robbed'.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: I actually do not have that fight. Ibelieve the rights belong to Top Rank, which promoted it.

Cory (DE): Dan, HOF yes or no: Winky Wright.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: I would probably say yes.

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: OK, Freaks, thanks for the chat today.Make sure to check out the notebook and blog and I will chat with you again next week. And one more thing -- LET'S GO GIANTS!! Peace.

Thanks, Jay
Dave, San Jose: Dan, I was watching PTI this week and DLH was a topic. Tony and Le Betarde just talked about how boxing was dead for the whole segment. Why doesn't ESPN put you on to educate these idiots?

sn2.gif
Dan Rafael: Those guys don't know jack about boxing. Just ignorance. Just because there's no American heavyweight they think the sport is dead. I hate to tell them that last year was the greatest revenue year in the sport's history.

Tony Kornheiser gets a
indifferent.gif

floyd needs to fight cotto or he's an idiot.you made your name of de la pollo now use that name to fight the only fighter left that matters)other then thepunisher williams).

p.s paul williams beats any welterweight in the sport.

February 23 that Joe Louis documentary looks like a must see.

For all the Wire heads, I saw them speaking with Michael and Clay Davis in the promos

[h1]Boxing trainer, a Staten Island native, suspended from TV gig[/h1] [h3]by Staten Island Advance[/h3]
[h3]Monday January 28, 2008, 4:30 PM[/h3]

Advance file photoStaten Island native Teddy Atlas will return his analyst job with ESPN next week after a suspension.

Teddy Atlas, the Staten Island native and renowned boxing trainer whose charitable foundation has raised millions for those in need, has been suspended for a week by ESPN from his role as a boxing analyst on TV.

Atlas, 51, a Stapleton native, was disciplined after a "heated" dispute with Doug Loughrey, the network's boxing program director for ESPN's "Friday Night Fights" series, according to BoxingScene.com. The incident occurred Jan. 11 during a televised fight card in Florida.

Atlas alleged ESPN showed favoritism to certain promoters and matchmakers, who in turn, abused their ESPN connections to take fighters away from other promoters, the Web site said.
http://
In a brief telephone conversation today, Atlas confirmed the suspension, but declined to discuss specifics.

"ESPN and I had a disagreement. We couldn't come to an understanding," said Atlas. "I was suspended for a week. I'm going to be back at work next week."

An ESPN spokesman also declined comment.

"It's an in-house matter that we won't be offering a public comment on," said Doug Grassian, the spokesman, in a brief telephone interview.

A former Gold Gloves boxing champion, Atlas tutored under legendary boxing trainer Cus D'Amato. For a time, he trained former heavyweight champion Mike Tyson. He also trained other champions, including Barry McGuigan, Michael Moorer and Simon Brown.

But Atlas is probably best known on Staten Island for his charitable work. His foundation, named for his later father, Dr. Theodore A. Atlas, has raised more than $3 million since its inception in 1997.

The money has aided children stricken with cancer, single mothers, families burned out of their homes and relatives of World Trade Center attack victims, among others.

Atlas was the 2006 recipient of the Louis R. Miller Business Leadership Award and was the Advance's 1996 Sportsman of the Year.

Right on, Teddy.

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

I dunno if anyone has ever read his biography but its really good.

Atlas_Book.jpg

I'm glad he'll be back next week...sometimes he's the only reason worth tuning into FNF.

I read a couple chapters of his book that dealt with the early part of his life...I need to read the rest.

His early dealing with Tyson was pretty interesting along with some other stuff. The book gets a little dull towards the end

Teddy Atlas is a very good commentator good thing he's coming back next week.

I was listening to a boxing radio station and it said that Mosley vs Mayorga will be fought at 154 pounds.

And they also mentioned that Marco Antonio Barrera will be fighting again
smh.gif
in May.

Originally Posted by MFr3shM

Teddy Atlas is a very good commentator good thing he's coming back next week.

I was listening to a boxing radio station and it said that Mosley vs Vargas will be fought at 154 pounds.

And they also mentioned that Marco Antonio Barrera will be fighting again
smh.gif
in May.

I thought it was Mosley vs Mayorga?

I heard about MAB fighting on an undercard in May or something like that

Back
Top Bottom