2008 NT Boxing Post Vol. Oscar De La Hoya vs. Manny Pacquiao 12/6/08 HBO PPV

• Rip it all you want, but I believe the Cotto-Alfonso Gomez match on April 12 is going to be a good action fight for as long as it lasts.

I agree. Alfonso will definitely go out their and give it his all. Miguel deserves an easy fight after his last two.

^^^ def agree Gomez doesn't get as much credit as he should.

AM i the only one that thinks roy jones can beat calzaghe?

oh and jermain will slaughter kelly in the rematch......or i'll be very broke

Why is everyone already talking about RJJ vs Calzaghe like Hopkins is some pushover and it won't even be a fight.

Anywho...

[h1][/h1]
[h1]Arum eyeing MSG for Pavlik title defense with Duddy[/h1]
By Dan Rafael
ESPN.com
(Archive)

Updated: January 25, 2008, 1:53 PM ET

Although middleweight champion Kelly Pavlik has a rematch on Feb. 16 with former champion Jermain Taylor, it will take place at 166 pounds, as per Taylor's rematch clause from their original contract.

That means even if Pavlik (32-0, 29 KOs) loses, he will still be the middleweight champ, and promoter Bob Arum is already looking ahead to Pavlik's first defense.

Arum told ESPN.com Thursday that he is planning that fight for Madison Square Garden on June 7, the night before the annual Puerto Rican Day parade in New York.

That has been the traditional date for another of Arum's stars, welterweight titlist Miguel Cotto. However, because Cotto will defend his title against "Contender" star Alfonso Gomez on April 12, he won't be available in June. So Arum is planning a Pavlik-John Duddy bout in the main event and said he will give the Puerto Rican fans a heavily Puerto Rican undercard, which means fighters such as junior flyweight champ Ivan Calderon and junior featherweight contender Juan Manuel Lopez figure to be on the show. Duddy (23-0, 17 KOs), who is from Ireland but living in New York, is big ticket seller in New York.

"I've met with the Duddy people. We had a nice meeting. He'll be Pavlik's next opponent. They want the fight," Arum said.

Arum added that he has been in conversations with Sauerland Event, the German promoter for middleweight titlist Arthur Abraham (25-0, 20 KOs), who could wind up in the co-feature against Main Events' promoted Giovanni Lorenzo (26-0, 18 KOs).

"I've talked to Sauerland's people and they'd like to have Abraham fight here," Arum said. "That's how we're moving -- to end up with a Pavlik-Abraham fight. Kelly wants to stay at middleweight in 2008. The only reason we're doing the over-the-weight fight is because of the crazy Taylor people. It's in the contract. We wanted to fight for the title."

HBO has also had conversations about putting Abraham on.

Arum said he has no TV deal in place for Pavlik's first defense but that HBO and Showtime are interested.

"I am in the beautiful position of not having Pavlik tied up with any network," he said. "We'll listen to the best offers and go from there."

I don't know if they should be over looking Taylor even though I think Pavlik will win.

feb 9th. Andre berto HBO BAD ... the movement is movin
smile.gif

Chambers tonight
smh.gif
That was a shame. He was schooling him when he let hishands go. Guess we'll find out soon what the excuse was...

and I think I'm going to have to wait a while before hopping on the Berto train...

He's obviously a hell of offensive fighter but his defense seems to be lacking a bit and I question whether mentally he has what it takes to be a champ. Hecomes across as being overconfident in his offensive ability and therefore let's his defense down at times...he obviously got caught doing so againstRivera. It was a good shot but you have to wonder about his chin as well. How would he have handled this situation had he not been saved by the bell? Howwould he perform in "deep waters" at Atlas always says against elite competition?

Granted he's still young and other great champs have had less then perfect starts it's still something to take into consideration.

I have no qualms with people not being swayed by any hype.

but u sayign there are questions about Berto is sorta fishing. Every fighter has questions about some aspect of their game. I mean the weaknesses Berto mayhave, many a great fighter has had. Ive only ever seen one perfect fighter where I couldnt find anything to question (defense, offense, chin, hand speed &mental game) and that was Muhammed Ali (although Floyd is pretty damn close).

Berto is a young fighter, who has looked good in every single figth I have ever seen him in. Even the ESPN2 fight where he was trying to do too much, fought abad strategic fight he still won going away. Berto's next figth vs a tougher opponent, who hadnt been stopped by any upper echelon vets, Got KNocked da$%$* out.

I can nitpick every fighter's negatives but the great one's positives far outweight their negatives. IMO, Berto looks like greatness.His handspeed and power are top notch, his all around game is ever improving and he has a good fighters IQ. with that said, lets see how he does vs a step upin opponents.

How bout a sumemrtime match up of
JC Chavez Jr. vs Berto so Berto can Knock this fraud out the picture

berto_corner.jpg

berto_012105.jpg

We Ready
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by gangsta207therevolution

Oscar should give some thought to fighting Tito to cap the career
Would be a good fight for December

Never happen, he's making way too much money on PPV with ZERO promotion fighting sacks of potatoes

I have no qualms with people not being swayed by any hype.

but u sayign there are questions about Berto is sorta fishing. Every fighter has questions about some aspect of their game. I mean the weaknesses Berto may have, many a great fighter has had. Ive only ever seen one perfect fighter where I couldnt find anything to question (defense, offense, chin, hand speed & mental game) and that was Muhammed Ali (although Floyd is pretty damn close).

Berto is a young fighter, who has looked good in every single figth I have ever seen him in. Even the ESPN2 fight where he was trying to do too much, fought a bad strategic fight he still won going away. Berto's next figth vs a tougher opponent, who hadnt been stopped by any upper echelon vets, Got KNocked da $%$* out.

I can nitpick every fighter's negatives but the great one's positives far outweight their negatives. IMO, Berto looks like greatness. His handspeed and power are top notch, his all around game is ever improving and he has a good fighters IQ. with that said, lets see how he does vs a step up in opponents.

As you've said you feel at this point his positives far outweigh his negatives, enough so that perhaps you have enough confidence in him to become achampion (I just assuming this, correct me if I'm wrong). I on the other hand see these weaknesses to be a little more significant to the point that theconfidence isn't quite there for me yet. That's all I'm saying.

Originally Posted by Stringer Bell 32

Kelly wins a split over JT RJJ vs Calzaghe - Calzaghe by UD Get paid Roy!

yea kelly got dominated for 6 1/2 rounds and got 1 good right hand. granted the will and chin is there jermains punchin power n speed can get ugly

if u want to go toe to toe with him

I jusst caught the Chambers implosion. what in the #@%* was this dude doin? I know Buddy McGirt dont even want nothin to do with this guy no more after thatshowing. just plain disgusting. he had a legit shot to win but didnt do anything for 6 straight rouunds.
smh.gif
laugh.gif
FAST EDDIE HAAAAAAAAAAAA

Chambers-Povetkin was a classic case of a guy getting out worked and his spirit broken . Povetkin just worked and through punches in bunches . Now Bertohe's fun to watch I like him ,there are some things he does that i dont like but he he's young and can work on them. He isnt very tall though andagaist taller fighters he will have problems be cause his body punching needs work . Oh and sources are telling that Cintron -Margarito II is a go since Zabdidnt like the money for fighting Maragarito . Hopefully after Williams take care of Quintana we'll get a rematch of them .

It seemed as though "Fast" Eddie just stopped fighting after the 4th round. Povetkin's output was too much for him. The guy threw punches like awelterweight which was pretty impressive. Don't think he is ready to take down a Klitchsko but if an opportunity like that presents itself I think you takeit.

While I am not driving the Berto bus, that responsibility is with Gunna, I am certainly on it. What really made me a big believer was seeing him live on theTaylor v. Pavlik undercard. His hand speed and power is that much more impressive live.

I dont know if it was reported in this thread already but Andre Berto has a 3 fight deal with HBO begin with this upcoming BAD. Where is Amo at?

[h1]What's the Wright move?[/h1]

By Eric Raskin
ESPN.com
(Archive)

Updated: January 28, 2008, 9:51 AM ET
box_g_winkysuit_580.jpg

Al Bello/Getty Images

Wright's penchant for taking care of business in the ring makes it hard for him to land fights.
Call it the counterpuncher's conundrum: If an opponent won't come to you, you can bore everybody stiff waiting, or you can suck it up and go to him. Winky Wright is, by nature, a counterpuncher. He doesn't just put the earmuffs on; his guard is like a full ski mask: high, tight and nearly impenetrable, designed to pick the other man's punches off until Wright is ready to throw counter shots. Like any good counter-punching artist, Wright turns his opponent's attacks into his own offensive opportunities. But the former undisputed junior middleweight champion has shown he can take the fight to his opponent when he has to. Wright pressed forward in his 1999 fight with Fernando Vargas. He brawled in '03 with the overmatched Angel Hernandez. He followed Jermain Taylor to the ropes in '06, doing his best work when he chose to lead rather than counter. And when he fought fellow boxer/counterpuncher Bernard Hopkins last July, there was no mistaking who forced the fight. Wright came forward, doing his part to make a dreadful chess match a little more palatable. But he paid the price for straying from his natural counter-punching tendencies; Hopkins landed the cleaner blows and won a unanimous decision.
[+] Enlarge

Ethan Miller/Getty Images

Wright's impentrable defense and high guard gave Hopkins, left, all he could handle for 12 rounds.
It marked Wright's first defeat in nearly eight years. And six months later, it's becoming apparent just how damaging that loss was to his career. Every mainstream name at or around Wright's weight has found himself a big-money dance partner for '08. Roy Jones and Felix Trinidad boogied two Saturdays ago to the sweet sounds of cash registers opening and closing. Kelly Pavlik will cut a rug -- and his pay-per-view teeth -- against Taylor in three weeks. Hopkins and Joe Calzaghe will hit the floor to make each other hit the canvas on April 19. And Oscar De La Hoya and Floyd Mayweather are lined up for a Sept. 13 rematch to last year's record-smashing waltz. Winky, it seems, is the odd man out. He's spent six months on the sidelines, has nothing lined up and doesn't appear to have much hope of landing a bout with any of the aforementioned stars any time soon. He's faced with the counterpuncher's conundrum all over again: Do I wait for one of these big fights to come to me, or do I move forward and make something happen? In other words, does Wright have to take a step back and a step down, fight a nonsuperstar and get a new winning streak going in order to position himself for the fights he really wants?
dropQuote.gif
[h3]I have nobody that wants to fight me because they know they're in for a tough fight. They're ducking me, they don't want to fight. That's why I'm left out.
dropQuoteEnd.gif
[/h3]
-- Winky Wright, on why it's so difficult for him to secure a fight
"Why should I go fight these lesser guys when I know I'm above them?" Wright responded. "You got De La Hoya. He's a steady loser; he lost two of his last three. Taylor lost his last fight. All of these fighters lose. But they have opponents who want to fight them again. I have nobody that wants to fight me because they know they're in for a tough fight. They're ducking me, they don't want to fight. That's why I'm left out. "They want me to fight [Mikkel] Kessler. Why do I need to fight these dudes? I'm at the top. Arthur Abraham and people like that, I have no interest in them. For what?" It sounds like Wright, a tricky southpaw, has a grasp on the reality of why the big fights aren't coming his way. His primary selling points as an opponent from 2004-07, when he scored a string of marquee matches, were his unbeaten streak and his upper-crust pound-for-pound status. The Hopkins fight ended the former and damaged the latter, giving the superstars an excuse not to fight him. What Wright isn't grasping is what he may need to do about it. "He doesn't want to fight tune-ups?" marveled HBO boxing analyst Larry Merchant. "Oscar De La Hoya's talking about a tune-up, and this guy, who's never been an attraction, wants to walk into a multimillion-dollar fight? On what basis? Winky Wright is not Oscar De La Hoya -- nobody is -- and you've got to go out and fight. He can demand all he wants, and he can wait all he wants, but the longer he waits, the farther the distance is since he last won a fight." Lester Bedford, a veteran promoter, manager and broadcaster, agrees with Merchant that Wright will do enormous damage to his career if he stays inactive much longer. "You have a diminishing value the longer you're out," Bedford said. "Unless there's some real intrigue about you, like a Sugar Ray Leonard, where there's anticipation over you coming back, you can't sit out for a year and come back and have the same value. "One of the problems is these guys get spoiled. They make that real big money, and then it's hard to get them motivated to turn around and fight for significantly less. But the inactivity, at his age, is really going to hurt him." Wright isn't so terribly old. He isn't in danger of being renamed Wrinkly Wright. But at 36, he isn't so terribly young either. The good news is, because of his tremendous skill level, he hasn't taken much punishment, and for a guy with 56 fights on his ledger, he doesn't seem to be on the downside. In his past three fights, Wright drew with then-middleweight champ Taylor in a close fight he deserved to win, he nearly shut out Ike Quartey and he moved up two weight classes and lost a close decision to Hopkins, a living legend. Most boxers would give their left pinky to be Winky. He still has his skills. He's not hurting for money (fights against Shane Mosley, Trinidad, Taylor and Hopkins all paid handsomely). He has fought on either HBO or HBO PPV 13 times. He's a sure shot for the Hall of Fame. It's a career worthy of envy. But his current situation is not so enviable.
[+] Enlarge

Mark Thompson/Getty Images

Wright, seen here celebrating after defeating Steve Foster, left, in England, is adamant that his days of trotting the globe in hopes of securing a big fight are over.
Wright fought in France, Monaco, Germany, Argentina, England and South Africa trying to make a name for himself in the '90s. To an extent, it worked, and he reaped the benefits in the 2000s. But it's a lot to ask of any man to expect him to go the road-warrior route for a second time, a full decade after he thought he was done with it. That rules out fights with the likes of Kessler, Abraham or Felix Sturm. And a semi-intriguing fight against Vernon Forrest is out of the question because Wright considers Forrest his friend. For the same reason, he isn't interested in facing Jones. ("Then he's got too many friends," Merchant quipped.) The obvious advice is to tell Winky to take a fight on Versus or ESPN2 against a nondescript opponent, get a new winning streak started and remain on the superstars' radar. It may even be advisable for him to tank it a bit and look like a faded fighter, improving the apparent risk-to-reward ratio for potential opponents. That's the obvious advice. It doesn't mean it's the right advice. The last time everyone told a big-name, veteran fighter that he was mismanaging his career, it was Hopkins, who was 36 when he scored his breakout victory over Trinidad. "The Executioner" followed that up by fighting Carl Daniels, sitting out for 13 months and then tanking at the box office in his hometown against Morrade Hakkar. The supposed mismanagement worked out brilliantly when Hopkins landed a fight with De La Hoya soon after that paid $14 million. Maybe, like Hopkins, Wright will find opportunity by going against conventional wisdom. It's not easy to win a fight backing up. But the most skilled of counterpunchers can do it. Eric Raskin is a contributing editor and former managing editor of The Ring magazine.

Never happen, he's making way too much money on PPV with ZERO promotion fighting sacks of potatoes

My thoughts exactly on him. They were going to set him up to fight Gomez before he got Cotto but his people thought the fight would be toodangerous.

I thought this little tidbit was pretty interesting.

[table][tr][th=""]
Saturday at Jakarta, Indonesia​
[/th] [/tr][tr][td]
Featherweight
Chris John TKO7 Roinet Caballero
Retains a featherweight title​
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Records: John, 41-0-1, 22 KOs; Caballero, 22-8-1, 16 KOs
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Rafael's remark: John, Indonesia's top fighter, battered Panama's Caballero until his corner tossed in the towel late in the seventh round. It was John's ninth defense, and afterward, he called out Manny Pacquiao, a fight that has been mentioned as a possibility if and when Pacquiao promoter Top Rank puts together a fight in Macau, China, as it would like to do eventually. John, 28, who owns a tight victory against junior lightweight titleholder Juan Manuel Marquez (Pacquiao's March 15 foe), began pouring it on Caballero, 24, in the sixth and seventh rounds before his corner finally resigned. The loss ended Caballero's 13-fight winning streak dating to 2004.[/td] [/tr][/table]

I don't know if the move up in weight would help or hurt John I think he's a well trained and a very good technician.

I think I read that Chavez Jr was ready to make an BAD debut, but Arum scrapped the idea off the strength of his PPV buys.

I had read that but I remember Rafael saying about a month ago that they don't want to put him in the ring against someone like Gomez just yet. I can'tremember the exact words I'll see if I can find the article but it was something along those line.

BTW Larry Merchant is completely right about Winky. Ronald can't just be inactive and wait for the major fight if he does exactly what Hopkins did back in01-03, I think he'd be okay he is too good of a fighter to be sitting on the sidelines twidling his thumbs. In boxing nowadays, 36 isn't that old atall.

• Rip it all you want, but I believe the Cotto-Alfonso Gomez match on April 12 is going to be a good action fight for as long as it lasts.

laugh.gif
yea cuz this one got 5th round stoppage written all over it

GORRES-DARCHINYAN PRESSCON PHOTOS!

By Dong Secuya
PhilBoxing.com
Thu, 31 Jan 2008

z-vic.080130.02.300w.jpg

Cebu City -- Fireworks did fly during yesterday's presscon at the Caspian Room of the Waterfront Hotel here for the much awaited encounter between Filipinocontender Z Gorres and former world champion Vic Darchinyan this Saturday in the same hotel.

The irrepressable and highly confident Darchinyan declared that it will be 'sweet dreams' for Gorres on Saturday after he'll knock out the Mandauenative. Gorres, in return, told the gathered media that he will be Darchinyan's 'nightmare' come Saturday night.

Below are some of the presscon photos:

z-vic.080130.01.400w.jpg

Gorres stands up after being introduced.

team.darchi.400w.jpg

Team Darchinyan.

darchi.080130.02.250w.jpg

Darchinyan speaks.

gorres.080130.250w.jpg

Gorres.

gary.shaw.250w.jpg

Darchinyan's promoter Gary Shaw.

mike.aldeguer.250w.jpg

ALA Gym President Mike Aldeguer.

lewkowicz.250w.jpg

Matchmaker Sampson Lewkowicz.

ralph.roy.250w.jpt.jpg

Solar Sports Vice-President Ralph Roy.

From BoxingScene

The possibility has arose of a welterweight clash between former champions "Sugar" Shane Mosley (44-5, 37KOs) and Ricardo Mayorga (29-6-1, 23KOs). It was discussed in Primera Hora, although the quotes were actually from boxing writer Steve Kim, regarding the Mayorga's insistence to fight Mosley.

Mayorga and Mosley were tentatively scheduled to meet in 2004, when most experts were backing Mayorga to win a unification bout with Cory Spinks in December 2003. Spinks went on to upset Mayorga and the fight with Mosley went into the toilet. Mosley, who was just coming off a title win over Oscar De La Hoya at junior middleweight, turned down a multi-million dollar trilogy bout with the Golden Boy, and instead took a unification bout with Winky Wright. Wright would easily beat Mosley in their first meeting and then won a close rematch.

Mosley is coming off a close decision loss to Miguel Cotto, and Mayorga went up in weight from 154 to 166-pounds to decision Fernando Vargas. Mayorga is eager to move back down to the very profitable welterweight division.

Richard Schaefer, CEO of Golden Boy Promotions, told Kim that Mayorga is a good possibility for Mosley's return, which some have rumored for the May 3 undercard to De La Hoya's HBO televised tune-up bout.

Due to the scheduling of the top welterweights, Mayorga becomes a frontrunner if he's actually serious. Cotto, Antonio Margarito and Kermit Cintron are set to return on April 12. Cotto will face Alfonso Gomez and Margarito will fight a rematch with Cintron. Cotto is slated to fight the winner of Margarito-Cintron in July. Floyd Mayweather Jr. won't fight until September against De La Hoya and will probably not fight again until 2009. Then there is Paul Williams, set to fight Carlos Quintana on February 9, but worth a lot more risk and a lot less money than Mayorga.

Given the money and the names involved, it's doubtful that HBO can possibly budget Mosley-Mayorga for De La Hoya's May tune-up. The fight shouldn't really be a co-feature to a tune-up bout. The fight is big enough to stand on it's own legs as a main event fight on any network.

I would love to see Mosley fight again, but against Ricardo Mayorga
eyes.gif
for what reason Mosley still has what it takes to fight the best in the welterweight division. I hope Mosley can find a better opponent than elmatador because we all know that Shane will beat Mayorga easy he isn't in Mosley's league Mayorga is like an amateur boxer. Hope i get to see Shaneagain this year.

Cool picture Dako. I've never seen Gores fight. Any predictions?

As for Mosley - Mayorga, should be a easy win for Shane. Mayorga is always comedy so I'm looking forward to the trash talking before the fight. As far awelterweights are concerned, there aren't many that Shane could handle easily.

I'm in.

Where the hell is Amo at????

nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by Stringer Bell 32

Cool picture Dako. I've never seen Gores fight. Any predictions?

As for Mosley - Mayorga, should be a easy win for Shane. Mayorga is always comedy so I'm looking forward to the trash talking before the fight. As far a welterweights are concerned, there aren't many that Shane could handle easily.

I'm in.

Where the hell is Amo at????

nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif

Stringer... i'm so pumped for this fight, as if i was the one fighting Vic! haha!! Gorres is a slick boxer. He's a southpaw with quick reflexes,good footwork and fast hands but doesn't have the one punch KO power. I guess his closest comparison would be Pernell Whitaker. His KOs have come fromcombinations and referee stoppage. To be realistic, I see Gorres winning this UD. But i hope he knocks him out! He doesn't have Nonito Donaire'spower though. Nonito's here in Cebu giving Gorres advice and will be at the fight this Saturday since Gary Shaw promotes him and Darchinyan. I'll goto the weigh in tomorrow and take some pics.

As for Sugar Shane vs Mayorga... yep i agree, easy fight for Mosley. I love Mayorga's trash talking but he will kiss the canvas in the middle rounds. I'd love to have a beer with this guy though
laugh.gif
pimp.gif
He reminds me of my boys here in Cebu always talking junk, haha!

Back
Top Bottom