2008 NT Boxing Post Vol. Oscar De La Hoya vs. Manny Pacquiao 12/6/08 HBO PPV

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

2nd time around is gonna be more dominant than the 1st. I dont like this idea. Cotto/Mayweather would sell just a lil under this re-match.
smh.gif

Im not feelin this at all.

I think Cotto - PBF would do bigger numbers than a rematch. Cotto has a huge following and Floyd has proven that he can put butts in the seats.

Too bad we'll probably see it 3 or 4 years too late

i love Floyd, but he's gonna hop on his bicycle again against the bigger Oscar... Floyd by unanimous this time... Wish he would fight Cotto instead

Originally Posted by dako akong otin

i love Floyd, but he's gonna hop on his bicycle again against the bigger Oscar... Floyd by unanimous this time... Wish he would fight Cotto instead
Damn, Dako you been MIA for a while now

Amo, you may have heard this already but your boy Gamboa is going to be on FNF twice next month.

I already got tickets to one
pimp.gif

I couldn't believe when I saw the article about the rematch. They could've went out and made a much better fight especially since PBF plans on onlyfighting once this year. After Cotto fight Gomez it'd be interesting to see who he would fight next. BTW, what's the latest on Cintron? Is is handgetting any better? Is he still going to fight Williams when he gets back or will he take a warm-up first?

Yeah Cintron should be just about back to training by now . He called out Magarito so who knows wha happens there but I say Cintron gets beat again byMargarito . More than likely he would go for a tune up , Cotto -Gomez will be a decent scrap Cotto stops him around the 9th he's just on a different level

Yeah Cintron should be just about back to training by now . He called out Magarito so who knows wha happens there but I say Cintron gets beat again by Margarito . More than likely he would go for a tune up , Cotto -Gomez will be a decent scrap Cotto stops him around the 9th he's just on a different level

That's good to hear. When did he call out Margarito? Doesn't sound smart esp after the way Margarito demolished him. I think they were saying Gomezwas supposed to fight Chavez Jr. but his people didn't think he'd win or it would have been close so they put him up against someone else. I hopeCotto wins and fights Margarito after that.

Roy Jones 169 1/2 pounds Roy looks in tremendous shape better than Tito

Tito Trinidad 170 ??? Tito seems chubby in his stomach

There seemed to be some controversy when they weighed Trinidad because Roy Jones said he was above by 2/10 of a pound and Roy wanted to use Red Glovesprobably his Grant boxing gloves he always uses which are the hottest boxing gloves out there.

I got Roy by KO round 9

Picture from today's weigh in. Tito, while he has never been known to have a ripped type of physique like RJJ, does look a tad out of shape:

8e815247a44066526200b8261c278e43638c24e.pjpg

Below is the only article I could find on Cotto-Gomez. I guess it's not official yet, only HBO has approved it as acceptable. Seems like a descent cardthough I'd probably rather see Cotto-Margarito with no co-feature.
HBO APPROVES COTTO-GOMEZ
By G. Leon

Moments ago Bob Arum confirmed to xxxxxxxxxx.com that HBO approved Alfonso Gomez as Miguel Cotto's next opponent. Cotto-Gomez will headline HBO's April 26 installment of World Championship Boxing. Antonio Margarito and Zab Judah will likely mix it up in a competitive fight on the televised co-feature. The card will take place at the Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City, New Jersey. HBO's Kery Davis was unavailable for immediate comment. Remember where you heard it first! (3:39 PM EST)

EDIT

New update

[table][tr][td]
[table][tr][td] Cotto vs. Gomez To Collide on April 12 in AC, Margarito vs. Judah Possible For May 3 [table][tr][td] Recommend this page[/td] [td][img]http://www.boxingscene.com/onfire/iconMiniPrint.gif[/img] Printable version[/td] [td]
iconMiniShare.gif
Search BoxingScene Database[/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [/tr][/table]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td][/td] [/tr][tr][td]
By Rick Reeno

BoxingScene.com, speaking with Bob Arum of Top Rank, was informed that WBA welterweight champion Miguel Cotto will defend his title against Contender star Alfonso Gomez on April 12 at the Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City , New Jersey. The venue has already set aside the date for Cotto-Gomez.

The co-feature could possibly become a rematch between WBO junior welterweight champion Ricardo Torres and Kendall Holt.

The welterweight battle between former champions Antonio Margarito and Zab Judah, slated for April 26, may end up going forward on May 3, with Showtime televising the fight. Provided both Cotto and Margarito win, Top Rank would match them on pay-per-view in July.

"That's where Cotto-Gomez is heading, to Atlantic City. We might do Margarito-Judah on Cinco de Mayo weekend on Showtime," Arum said.
[/td] [/tr][/table]

Oscar De La Hoya will fight a tune-up match on May 3 before his expected rematch with Floyd Mayweather Jr. The match, against an opponent to be named later, will take place at either Mexico City's Estadio Azteca or the Home Depot Center in Carson, Calif.

The fight, which will be part of a career countdown, will likely air on HBO instead of pay-per-view, to help drum up interest in the proposed Sept. 13 rematch with Mayweather.

"I want to set a trend where the big-name fighters will fight on free television," De La Hoya said. "Why not go back to the roots? Go back to fighting on free television. I think the fans deserve it. I hope other fighters can do this."

According to Richard Schaefer, the CEO of Golden Boy Promotions, De La Hoya has discussed developing a show about going back to his roots, and on Friday morning he told Schaefer he wanted his next fight to feature such a theme.
[table][tr][td] [table][tr][td][size=-2]ADVERTISEMENT[/size]
[/td] [/tr][/table]
b
[/td] [/tr][/table]De La Hoya made his name on HBO after winning a gold medal in the 1992 Olympics in Barcelona, Spain. De La Hoya said he wanted to give access to people who normally can't see boxing's top stars either live or on television.
"It's basically a thank you fight for the fans," De La Hoya said. De La Hoya said he wants to make the final year of his career his biggest, building toward a September bout with Mayweather, who most experts agree holds the mythical title that De La Hoya covets - best pound-for-pound boxer in the world.

Schaefer has already talked with the Home Depot Center, which can hold 45,000 fans for boxing. Schaefer will be flying to Mexico City for a Tuesday meeting with the owners of Estadio Azteca, which holds 130,000. If filled, it is believed it would set an all-time attendance record for pro boxing.

Schaefer said if the match is held in Mexico City, tickets would cost as little as a few dollars, with bottom ticket prices of $10 to $20 if it is held in Southern California.

The field for has been narrowed to three opponents, whom Schafer declined to name. De La Hoya is expected to make a decision over the weekend and they hope to finalize the deal within a week.

If all goes as planned after the September fight against Mayweather, De La Hoya's career would end with a huge boxing weekend promotion, tentatively scheduled for December. Possibilities include bringing back his famous opponents from the past, as well as showcasing young talent, possibly including pro debuts of the Summer Olympics' top stars.

Adding intrigue to the Mayweather fight, which may be held at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, is that Floyd Mayweather Sr. has agreed to train De La Hoya for all three fights this year.

The two were together for six years, but Mayweather Sr. backed out of training De La Hoya for last year's record-breaking fight because it was against his son. Mayweather Jr., 39-0 and the top-ranked fighter in the Yahoo! Sports pound-for-pound Top 10, beat De La Hoya via split decision on May 5, on a show that destroyed all pay-per-view records with 2.4 million buys.

Mayweather Jr. followed by beating Ricky Hatton via 10th round knockout on December 8. The success of the two fights led to it being the biggest year ever for boxing on pay-per-view.

"Floyd Sr. said he would train me for Floyd Mayweather Jr.," De La Hoya said. "That's excellent news for me. I'm very confident with Floyd Sr. in my corner. He knows Floyd Jr. better than anyone. He's the one who created him. With Floyd Sr. in my corner, my chances of winning are great."

Their first fight captured public interest unlike any in years, particularly from an HBO countdown documentary which turned Mayweather Jr. into a household name. The first fight lacked fireworks, and the bigger De La Hoya ultimately couldn't match the speed, reflexes or stamina of the man widely considered the most talented in boxing today. De La Hoya would need a new approach both to have a shot at beating Mayweather, but also to convince the public that the second fighter would be different from the first.

"Mayweather is the big fish in the sea," said De La Hoya, who said he wants to dedicate this year to training. "He's the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world. I'm all about fighting the best fighter in the world and that's the fight I have to win.

He feels the added time plus a tune-up fight, plus Mayweather Sr. in his corner will be a difference-maker.

"If I stay active and in the gym and stay sharp, nobody can beat me," he said. "Fighting once a year wasn't the best thing for me."

De La Hoya said the third fight would "absolutely" be the final one of his career. "I can't turn back the clock," he said.

Originally Posted by Stringer Bell 32

Originally Posted by dako akong otin

Damn, Dako you been MIA for a while now

lol.. yeah, been away on vacation. Looking forward for Tito vs Roy this weekend!

O damn i miss the part where it said Floyd SR would train DLH even if he faught Floyd. THEY BETTER have a 24/7 that is going to be comdey

Reading Dan Rafael Notebook

-Hopkins VS Joe Calzaghe fight could be on HBO and not PPV.(THANK GOD)
-Marco Antonio Barrera is going to fight again
tired.gif

-Paul Williams and Andre Berto will be fighting on the same card out here on Febuard 9th im have to go check that out.

Randall Bailey scored a nice KO on some guy on ESPN2.

I also heard that Barrera is going to fight again, he shouldn't jeopardize his health he is not the same boxer that he was and is going to make his careerlook bad if he continues to get beat.

So is tommorow nights fight going to be streaming anywhere on the net? Roy's to much of a bum now to drop 50 on.

Heads up HBO channels showing the Tito VS vargas fight pretty much all night on any of there channels

they also showing Roy VS ruiz but im sure no one wants to see that snooze fest

Tito and Vargas was a crazy fight... Tito firing his left hooks and Vargas kept getting up... I patterned my left hook after Tito just by watching that fight

I got Roy winning tomorrow against Trinidad in the 7th RD by a left hook to the body KO. no way does 3 years off & 170 LB weight issue helps Trinidad toeven go 12 RDs against Roy. I just hope the fight brings out the entertainment & action that both Trinidad & Roy promised the fans.

Another Update on Cotto-Gomez. I pray this doesn't go through, I'd MUCH rathersee Cotto-Clottey.

[table][tr][td][/td] [/tr][tr][td] Cotto-Gomez Still Not Done: Money Issues [table][tr][td] Recommend this page[/td] [td][color=#FFFFFF][img]http://www.boxingscene.com/onfire/iconMiniPrint.gif[/img][/color] Printable version[/td] [td]
iconMiniShare.gif
Search BoxingScene Database[/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [/tr][/table]
By Rick Reeno

Moments after breaking the news of WBA welterweight champion Miguel Cotto defending the title againstContender star Alfonso Gomez on April 12 at the Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City, BoxingScene.com was contacted by a very credible source who says theCotto-Gomez fight is far from done.

There appears to be a serious issue with the money. Gomez's manager, Gary Gittelson, has not yetaccepted the financial terms that were offered by Top Rank.

Should the Cotto-Gomez fight fall apart, Joshua Clottey is said to be the frontrunner to takeGomez's place on the April 12 card.

Finished watching both Ruiz/Jones and Vargas/Trinidad...

Back then, what made Roy go up to Heavyweight? Just cause he wanted to be the 1st former middleweight to move up so high? IMO, that was the beginning. Joneswas never the same after that fight. I can't even imagine the physical demands between that fight and the 1st fight with Tarver.

Speaking of never being the same...
frown.gif
@ Vargas. Might some crazy toya'll, but he's ALWAYS been one of my favorite fighters. But both the Trinidad & De La Hoya bouts did serious damage to him. In his prime...dudewas something special. I remember that fight and I def thought (Especially after the 4th rd) that Vargas was gonna beat Tito.
mad.gif
for those damn low blows. IMO, they took ALOT of out of him.

As far as Mayweather/De La Hoya II? All I want to know is...why? I didn't think the fight was horrible, but it wasn't good enough to warrant a rematch.The only good thing that came out of that match was the massive amount of attention Boxing recieved because of it. With Floyd Sr back to train Oscar, thingsshould be interesting...but I still can't see a different result. We'll never get to see Cotto-Mayweather...
mad.gif
I don't know why, it would sell. Slowly, Cotto has built himself a hugefanbase and based off of 07, we now know that Mayweather is a certified draw.

Cotto/Gomez?
eyes.gif
Cotto deserves much better. Don't get me wrong, Gomezhas improved GREATLY since The Contender, probably the best fighter to come out of that show. But this is a mis-match, Cotto is on another level right now.Calzaghe/Manfredo Jr all over again...
I'd rather see Cotto/Clottey but I don't know if HBO would approve of that seeing as Clottey isn't a "name" Neither was Oktay Urkal...

From Dan Rafael's notebook:
Negotiations for an April fight between light heavyweight champ Bernard Hopkins and super middleweight champ Joe Calzaghe are expected to wrap up any day and they could yield a sweet bonus for fans. The bout was originally planned for April 12 as a $49.95 HBO PPV fight. However, Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaeffer told ESPN.com that the fight could move to April 19 and off PPV. "I am working very hard to try to do the Hopkins fight live on HBO," he said. HBO is interested, offering about $6 million, which is close to what the promotion would net if the fight was on PPV and did 250,000 buys.

eek.gif
+
pimp.gif
I'd still pay to see this, but if they can get this on HBO...props to GoldenBoy. If they do move the fight to HBO TV, is 24/7 still possible?

For AMO...
• Joel "Love Child" Julio (32-1, 30 KOs), the 2005 ESPN.com prospect of the year, and James Kirkland (21-0, 18 KOs), both exciting offensive-minded junior middleweight prospects with tremendous power, could face each other on HBO's "Boxing After Dark" in either April or May. The sides are talking and HBO wants the fight, reps for both sides told ESPN.com.

Yessir.
nerd.gif
Always good to see the Love Child on television. He'sgoing to have a big year...trust.

2008 is shaping up to be a excellent year in Boxing, ya'll.

who ever put Varges in the ring that night VS tito should have been fired he was way to green to be in that fight

Back
Top Bottom