2008 NT Boxing Post Vol. Oscar De La Hoya vs. Manny Pacquiao 12/6/08 HBO PPV

I work almost every Saturday night so I don't get tempted, but yeah 170 is the only thing that holds me back from thinking it will closer.

Originally Posted by LESGodSonC0

RJJ.

Even at his age, he is much too fast for Tito. Also, Tito can't handle anything above 154. Because I was raised on both of these fighters and have followed them throughout their prime years, part of me wants to put up the $50 BUT I consider myself smart enough to know that it's not worth. Especially with that weak undercard...

eyes.gif
@ Don King for putting his best foot forward when it comes to promoting this but leaving guys like Juan Diaz and Devon Alexander in the dust.

Now...somewhere Amo has a smile on his face. Pascal has NOTHING for Edison, he's quick but leaves himself way too open to get hit. But to be honest...IMO, neither one of them is seeing Green at 100%

Right now i look something like this:

happy.gif

And trying to be asunbiased as i can, but Green did NOT look noticeably better against Rubin Williams last week than he had in the past. He still looks at his feet way to damnmuch, and still gets gun shy whenever he fights a remotely live opponent. I still think in a rematch with Miranda that Edison catches him and puts him tosleep. Green wouuld take Pascal's head off though. That dude was just terrible.

And i actually disagree that Tito couldn't handle anything above 154. I think before his first retirement he would have been the 3rd best middleweight inthe world behind Winky and B-Hop. I mean he absolutely killed William Joppy, and Joppy was one of the better middleweights at the time. Felix could'vehandled the rest of the division, the only problem is he fought the 2 guys with the right styles to embarrass him.

Originally Posted by LESGodSonC0

RJJ.

Even at his age, he is much too fast for Tito. Also, Tito can't handle anything above 154. Because I was raised on both of these fighters and have followed them throughout their prime years, part of me wants to put up the $50 BUT I consider myself smart enough to know that it's not worth. Especially with that weak undercard...

eyes.gif
@ Don King for putting his best foot forward when it comes to promoting this but leaving guys like Juan Diaz and Devon Alexander in the dust.

Now...somewhere Amo has a smile on his face. Pascal has NOTHING for Edison, he's quick but leaves himself way too open to get hit. But to be honest...IMO, neither one of them is seeing Green at 100%
I can't see myself shelling out that $$$$ for whats going to be a weak card from top to bottom.
smh.gif
I think Miranda - Green II should begin to bescheduled because Pascal won't withstand Eddie's power

Tito gonna Knock Roy out. Roy's chin is gone

I'll be damned if I buy this crock of %$#$ fight tho.

I'll catch the replay

Im up in the air about this one on one hand Roy is obviously past it but he has been active , Tito while he is a big puncher the last time we saw him he gotdominated and he's been off for a while now so ring rust will be there . Roy is the naturally bigger guy so i think i will go with him if he keeps it onthe outside .Tito just wont be able to catch him . I aint paying for it Ill download later . But that Miranda KO was crazy Banks was pretty much laying on thejudges table and the replays made it that much funnier

I know it was history and all, but Roy never should've made that move to Heavyweight. He hasn't been the same since...

Better KO?

Miranda/Banks or Green/Condrington

Miranda/Bank
That was just unbelievably hilarious

EDIT - here is the undercard for the PPV

Roy Jones Jr. vs. Felix Trinidad, 12 rounds, light heavyweights;

Andrew Golota vs. Mike Mollo, 12 rounds, heavyweight

Roman Karmazin vs. Alex Bunema, 12 rounds, junior middleweights;

Devon Alexander vs. DeMarcus "Chop Chop" Corley, 10 rounds, junior welterweights;

Hector Velasquez vs. Elio Rojas, WBC final featherweight eliminator;

Guillermo Jones vs. TBA, 10 rounds, cruiserweights;

Ezra Sellers vs. TBA, 8 rounds, heavyweights;

Evans Quinn vs. TBA, 8 rounds, heavyweights;

Gabe Brown vs. TBA, 8 rounds, heavyweights

I'm interested in the Golotta - Mollo fight since both are from the Chicago land area

eek.gif
Devon is fighting Chop Chop? That's def a big step up in comp forhim. I'm interested in that fight, but this is still not enough to make me cough up $50.

As long as King is around, Golota will always get a fight.

VERY VERY good.

And Mollo-Golota matches up to be an entertaining fight. Maybe not the most significant fight in the world. But it should probably be a decent scrap.

Next saturday I think Roy Jones will win because he has been boxing and this is the first comeback fight for Tito Trinidad the last time he fought was when helost a one sided victory to Winky Wright. Tito isn't a 170 pound fighter he is more suitable for 160 or when he was at 154 but can't make weightanymore. I got Roy winning a unanimous decision 117-112. Tito may get knocked down in the fight by Roy.

Jones wins this easy...

Also, for anyone interested Jones-Ruiz and Trinidad-Vargas are both showing on HBO OnDemand though it may depend on your cable provider.

Here's something funny to checkout...a past-prime, out of shape Gatti completely destroying this heavyweight "average joe" with headgear on whoprobably thought he could take him. Clip from the new season of Pros vs. Joes.

Devon Alexander vs. DeMarcus "Chop Chop" Corley, 10 rounds, junior welterweights;
pimp.gif
...Huge step up for Alexander. Always liked Chop Chop buthe is definitely at the gate keeper portion of his career.

I saw Mike Mollo fight live out in Worcester, MA and he got his head handed to him by DaVarryl Williamson so I don't know what to think of him.

In regards to Jones Jr. vs. Tito, like Gunna said Roy's chin is like fine china at this point so it isnt totally out of the question that Tito touches himup and puts him on the canvas.

[h1]Can Jones be serious?[/h1]
posted: Tuesday, January 15, 2008 | Print Entry

The return of your weekly random thoughts …

• If you've been following the rhetoric from Roy Jones during the buildup to his fight Saturday night against Felix Trinidad, Jones is predicting a fourth-round knockout and talking about all sorts of future fights. One of the most laughable is Jones' assertion that he is willing to go to the United Kingdom to fight super middleweight champion Joe Calzaghe next. Sure you are, Roy. This comes from the same Jones who for years refused to entertain the notion of fighting overseas because of the raw deal he got when he was robbed of a gold medal in the 1988 Seoul Olympics. This comes from the same Jones who wouldn't ever seriously discuss going to Germany to fight his most logical opponent, light heavyweight titleholder Dariusz Michalczewski, at a time when Jones was the best fighter on the planet but Michalczewski was a huge draw in Germany. If Jones wouldn't go overseas then, when it actually meant something, why should anyone believe Roy would go now? More importantly, why should we care at this stage? Jones is blowing smoke, especially because he knows Calzaghe is close to a deal to fight Bernard Hopkins anyway. I've heard enough spin from Jones to last me a lifetime. And even if Jones is serious, it's too little, too late. He should have gone to Germany seven years ago.

• I don't know about you, but I want to know if anyone actually paid the $15,000 price tag for front-row tickets for Jones-Trinidad. Frankly, I'd also like to know if anyone actually paid the $12,500 for the second row. I can't wait to be in the arena Saturday night and check out who's sitting in those seats. Speaking of Jones-Trinidad, the fight hasn't exactly caught fire and it's going to take another brutal hit this week when the fight needs publicity the most. The reason is because the New York Giants advanced to Sunday's NFC title game. Translation: Very little space in New York papers for the fight and very little time on the TV and radio sports shows. An insider involved in the show read the writing on the wall, telling me Monday that the Giants advancing "was the worst thing that could happen to the show."

• With Oscar De La Hoya and Floyd Mayweather Jr. talking about a May rematch, all I can say is this in the wake of their dud fight last year: The World (Doesn't) Await.

• As much as I punished Showtime for some horrible fight cards it put on in 2007, I have to also show some love when the network does something great. In this case, that is buying the rights to air the March 8 cruiserweight showdown in England between legit champ David Haye and titleholder Enzo Maccarinelli. Great move. It should be a cracking fight.

• Let's see, we are six weeks out from the fight and there still has been no official announcement of a site for the much-anticipated March 1 rubber match between junior featherweight champ Israel Vazquez and Rafael Marquez. No tickets on sale yet either. That's pathetic. Can we get with the program, people? That means promoters Gary Shaw, Golden Boy Promotions and Sycuan Ringside Promotions. The first fight was sensational. The rematch was the 2007 fight of the year. Yet both fights were horribly promoted and the crowds at each were sparse. The third fight has been on Showtime's schedule for months but there has been no promotion whatsoever. How do you expect to sell tickets or let people know you have a great fight without doing any work? A fight of this caliber needs more than two or three weeks of nurturing. The fighters deserve better. Showtime deserves better. The fans deserve better.

• Here's a shocker: Antonio Tarver isn't going to fight Chad Dawson in April, but Glen Johnson is. The only reason Showtime gave Tarver two patsies last year was in the hope he would agree to fight Dawson. But I don't know anyone who believed he ever would, other than some folks at Showtime. Instead, Tarver took the easy money and Showtime for a ride. The least Showtime could have done was make sure it had Tarver under contract for the payoff fight before giving him the walkovers. Bottom line: Tarver doesn't want a tough fight. He wants to squeeze as much money as he can out of Showtime. Johnson, meantime, epitomizes what fighters should be about, and that's a willingness to fight the best without making excuses.

• Junior welterweight titlist Paulie Malignaggi, pushed to the limit by Herman Ngoudjo in a recent defense, probably won't ever be on the pound-for-pound list, but he would be if a desire to be great was a part of the equation.• With super middleweights Edison Miranda and Jean Pascal getting through bouts on the same card on last week's "Friday Night Fights," I really hope their June showdown in Montreal winds up on ESPN2. That said, I think Miranda knocks Pascal out. While I'm on the subject of Miranda, I have to admit it: I must have watched his sensational knockout of David Banks about 50 times this week.

• So Sergio Mora got back on the winning path the other night by stopping Rito Ruvalcaba after some struggles in the early rounds. But at this point, even though Mora remains undefeated, isn't the bloom off the rose?

• I read that 34-year-old former heavyweight titlist Nikolai Valuev was fined in his native St. Petersburg, Russia, for punching a 61-year-old man in a scuffle two years ago. Obviously, the 7-foot, 320-pounder couldn't find someone his own size to pick on, but couldn't he have at least found someone closer to his own age? • So, super middleweight titlist Lucian Bute, the popular Montreal fighter, is going to make his first defense Feb. 29 against William Joppy. Don't laugh. It's true. What, Vinny Pazienza wasn't available? • Let's go Giants!

DVD pick of the week: In honor of the amazing Hopkins' 43rd birthday on Tuesday, I decided to go back to a time before the light heavyweight champ was boxing royalty. On Dec. 17, 1994, "The Executioner" was just another fighter trying to achieve his championship goal and make some money. That's when Hopkins, who had lost a decision to Jones for a vacant middleweight belt 19 months earlier, got another opportunity to fight for the belt that Jones vacated in order to move up in weight. Hopkins met Segundo Mercado on Showtime in Quito, Ecuador, but Hopkins arrived only a few days before the fight and had very little time to adjust to the elevation -- almost 10,000 feet. Even though Mercado knocked the usually iron-chinned Hopkins down twice in a good fight, Hopkins was in command. However, it was ruled a draw in Mercado's hometown. Hopkins was robbed and the title remained vacant until he finally got his belt four months later, stopping Mercado in the rematch in Landover, Md. It was a title Hopkins would keep for the next decade.

That said, I think Miranda knocks Pascal out. While I'm on the subject of Miranda, I have to admit it: I must have watched his sensational knockout of David Banks about 50 times this week.

laugh.gif

ROY: I'M STILL QUICKER THAN FLOYD
Press Release: Roy Jones Jr. worked the mitts and showed the blazing speed that made him thepound-for-pound best boxer on the planet for a decade during a media workout today at Kingsway Gym in New York City featuring fighters from Saturday's"Bring on the Titans" boxing event at Madison Square Garden and on HBO Pay-Per-View.

"Guess who's back, Roy Jones Jr.," Jones declared.� "Ain't nobody got the speed to handle me.� OnlyFloyd Mayweather comes close to me and he's still 10 miles an hour slower," Jones quipped.

Jones, Andrew Golota, "Merciless" Mike Mollo and DeMarcus "Chop Chop" Corley all performed a lightworkout and answered questions.

Jones will face Felix "Tito" Trinidad in the main event;�Golota will take on the�once-beaten Mollo; and the formerWBO�junior welterweight�titlist Corley will take on undefeated 20-year-old Devon Alexander "The Great" to kick off pay-per-view telecast.

Get em Roy!
laugh.gif

But if he gives me one of these rounds.. where he can pretty much put them on the canvas and not go for it Im gonna be
mad.gif

Im prolly the only NT'er orderin this fight
laugh.gif
frown.gif

Guess who's back, Roy Jones Jr.," Jones declared.� "Ain't nobody got the speed to handle me.� Only Floyd Mayweather comes close to me and he's still 10 miles an hour slower," Jones quipped.

and if he's even half as fast as he says he is, the 1st thing Larry Merchant should do is hand him a cup and say " the bathroom is that way, we needthese results ASAP"

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

Guess who's back, Roy Jones Jr.," Jones declared.� "Ain't nobody got the speed to handle me.� Only Floyd Mayweather comes close to me and he's still 10 miles an hour slower," Jones quipped.

and if he's even half as fast as he says he is, the 1st thing Larry Merchant should do is hand him a cup and say " the bathroom is that way, we need these results ASAP"

laugh.gif

[h1][/h1]
[h1]Golden Boy CEO: Mayweather-De La Hoya II could come in September[/h1]
By By Dan Rafael
ESPN.com
(Archive)

Updated: January 17, 2008, 12:26 AM ET

The richest fight in boxing history is on the verge of getting a sequel.

Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Oscar De La Hoya, who shattered box office records when they met last spring, are close to finishing a deal for a rematch, Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer told ESPN.com Wednesday.

"We are still discussing things but we have almost finalized it," said Schaefer, who heads De La Hoya's promotional company. "I think an announcement will be forthcoming."

Schaefer said the fight would be Sept. 13 or Sept. 20 on HBO pay-per-view. He said the site for Mayweather-De La Hoya II has not been settled but he is holding the September dates at the 27,000-seat Home Depot Center, the outdoor home to the Los Angeles Galaxy of Major League Soccer. He said other venues are also interested, including the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

A source also told ESPN.com Wednesday night that Dodger Stadium was interested in hosting the fight after L.A. native De La Hoya suggested he'd like to fight there before retiring.

Mayweather won a split decision to take De La Hoya's junior middleweight belt when they met May 5 at the MGM Grand.

The match between boxing's No. 1 fighter, Mayweather, and its greatest attraction, De La Hoya, was a success and, ultimately, a rematch was hard to pass up.

"Floyd is agreeable to do the fight and so is Oscar," Schaefer said. "Now it's just me working through everything."

Although De La Hoya has said he planned to return to the welterweight division and Mayweather is the welterweight world champion, Schaefer said the weight for a rematch hadn't been determined. He said it could be at a catch weight somewhere between the 147-pound welterweight division and 154-pound junior middleweight class.

"It's something we are discussing," he said.

Backed by five-months of promotion, which included an 11-city cross-country tour and HBO's reality series "De La Hoya/Mayweather 24/7," the first fight broke boxing box office records including total gross ($165 million); pay-per-view subscriptions (2.4 million); pay-per-view gross ($134.4 million) and live gate ($18,419,200).

Although the fight was panned by many for a lack of action and the rematch probably won't approach the numbers of the original, it still figures to do well.

De La Hoya had planned to return to the ring May 3, but didn't have an opponent. The prospect of facing British star Ricky Hatton, his first choice, evaporated when Mayweather returned to welterweight and knocked Hatton out in the 10th round on Dec. 8.

Welterweight titleholder Miguel Cotto was a darkhorse candidate to fight De La Hoya. Cotto promoter Bob Arum acknowledged it was unlikely. He spent Wednesday in New York meeting with HBO executives about an alternative plan for Cotto, who probably will fight in April, possibly against first-season "Contender" star Alfonso Gomez.

Hatton's lopsided defeat left Mayweather as De La Hoya's most lucrative opponent. But instead of facing him on Cinco De Mayo weekend, the rematch will move to the fall because Mayweather is taking a break after a grueling 2007 inside and out of the ring.

Mayweather's fights with De La Hoya and Hatton were the biggest of the year and the promotions were exhausting. He also found mainstream recognition during his fall run on the popular reality series "Dancing with the Stars."

A rematch with De La Hoya (38-5, 30 KOs) would delay Mayweather (39-0, 25 KOs) jumping to mixed martial arts, which he has discussed with "Dancing with the Stars" pal and Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban, who also owns his own MMA promotional company.

Leonard Ellerbe, Mayweather's adviser and close friend, was unavailable for comment.

With De La Hoya moving off May 3, it is possible that his friend and Golden Boy Promotions partner Shane Mosley could fight on the date instead.

Thoughts?

2nd time around is gonna be more dominant than the 1st. I dont like this idea. Cotto/Mayweather would sell just a lil under this re-match.
smh.gif

Im not feelin this at all.

Not really anxious to see an aging Oscar vs PBF fresh off of beating Ricky's+%%$...

I really hope that PBF fights the top competitors to cement his legacy....He won't get the payday....But he will get the respect in the boxing aficionadoseyes....Cause right now it seems like he's ducking...

Back
Top Bottom