2008 NT Boxing Post Vol. Oscar De La Hoya vs. Manny Pacquiao 12/6/08 HBO PPV

is Legendary nights coming back on or was this one from the last shows they did?
From what I recall they were going to have new Legendary Nights episodes in '08 but they got scrapped or pushed back.

aw damn, Legendary Nights was probably my main squeeze on HBO I hoped for a comeback so much

Nothin was $#+%+* with that Hagler v. Hearns ep

[h1]Chavez Jr. prevails by TKO in Mexico; Morrison wins, too[/h1]
Associated Press

Updated: February 10, 2008, 11:57 AM ET

LEON, Mexico -- Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. stopped Jose Celaya by technical knockout in the eight round Saturday night to win the World Boxing Council continental super welterweight title.

Chavez Jr. improved to 35-0-1 with 28 KOs on a card dubbed "Latin Fury" and held in el Domo de la Feria in this city, located 200 miles northwest of the capital.

Celaya, a 26-year old fighter, came into the fight with five straight wins and dropped to 31-4 with 16 knockouts.

Chavez Jr. is the oldest son of former three-time champion Julio Cesar Chavez, who was at the fight as an analyst for a local TV station.

The youngest of the Chavez dynasty, Omar, also won his fight, beating Miguel Camacho by a knockout on the first round on a preliminary bout. Fighting on the same card as his brother for the first time, Omar Chavez got his sixth career victory.

Former world heavyweight champion Tommy Morrison returned to the ring for the first time in nearly one year and beat Matt Weisharr by a knockout in the third round.

Morrison (48-3-1, 41 KOs) had not fought since last Feb. 22, when he beat John Castle with a knockout in the third round. That was his first fight in 11 years since he retired in 1996 after testing positive for HIV. However, Morrison claimed he was clean and started a comeback.

Morrison then made his mixed martial arts debut on June 9, knocking out John Stover in the first round.

Also on Saturday, Mexican fighter Edgar Sosa (31-5, 16 KOs) defended his WBC 108-pound title for the fourth time by outpointing countryman Jeses Iribe (10-5-1).

i never new about that Chavez VS Taylor till i seen it last night. that ref should have been banned on the spot for that and bank account checked with thequickness

The Taylor-Chavez episode is probably my favorite. I actually agree with the stoppage. I believe the official stoppage was at 2:58 but if you look at thetime Steele waived his arms with around 5 seconds left in the round. Taylor received enough permanent damage in this fight and 5 seconds would have beenplenty of time for Chavez to land some more serious blows. If that happened Steele would have been criticized for letting an unresponsive fighter continue. It's was a shame that Taylor lost that fight but ultimately I think it was the right call.

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

i never new about that Chavez VS Taylor till i seen it last night. that ref should have been banned on the spot for that and bank account checked with the quickness
Naw, Richard Steele kept his job and I believe he still is an active referee

Miguel Cotto is starting to become a real personal favorite of mine.

His last couple fights have all been entertaining and now he's back on regular HBO

You can't really say anything bad about him

250px-Cotto.Miguel.jpg

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

^I agree String. I am going to hit up Atlantic City in April for his fight with Gomez. The overall card is solid but Cotto is definitley the reason I want togo. I went to his fight at MSG against Mosley and the # of Cotto fans there was ridiculous and made for a great atmosphere. I don't think he has ever beenin bad fight.

Originally Posted by Stringer Bell 32

Miguel Cotto is starting to become a real personal favorite of mine.

His last couple fights have all been entertaining and now he's back on regular HBO

You can't really say anything bad about him

250px-Cotto.Miguel.jpg

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

darth_vader-0.jpg

WELCOME TO THE DARKSIDE STRING.

Miguel been my favorite fighter for close to 5 yrs now. Im glad he getting some long overdue respect. I always tell my boys, If I was a boxer I would fightjust like he does

pimp.gif

I've never had a problem with Miguel. I've always liked him, but I've never been the type of fight fan to root for someone regardless of who hefights.

Now, I'm a Miguel Cotto fan all the way.

If he wins his next two fights against Gomez and then the winner of Cintron/Margarito; Miguel has to get more respect in the pound for pound ranking.

He should be atleast top 5.

A roundup of last week's notable boxing results from around the world:
[table][tr][th=""]
Saturday at Temecula, Calif.​
[/th] [/tr][tr][td]
Welterweight
Carlos Quintana W12 Paul Williams
Wins a welterweight title
Scores: 116-112 (twice), 115-113​
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Records: Quintana, 25-1, 19 KOs; Williams, 33-1, 24 KOs
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Rafael's remark: We have our first serious candidate for upset of the year with this surprising result. Williams, making the first defense of the belt he won in July 2007 from Antonio Margarito, was being pushed by promoter Dan Goossen as the most avoided fighter in the sport. Some believed he even posed the most legitimate threat to pound-for-pound king and recognized division champion Floyd Mayweather Jr. Hope that fantasy is over now after Williams was exposed in this hugely disappointing performance on HBO's "Boxing After Dark." Nicknamed "The Punisher," Williams might as well be called "The Punished" because that's what Quintana did to him. He strafed Williams -- who made $900,000 to Quintana's paltry $160,000 -- with clean shots all night in an entertaining battle of southpaws. Quintana landed more punches and was more accurate (of 596 for a 34 connect percentage while Williams was 157-of-799 for 20 percent, according to CompuBox). It was redemption for Quintana, who folded in his only previous title shot when he was smashed in five rounds by Miguel Cotto in December 2006. Quintana, 31, of Puerto Rico, had fought just once since that loss before getting the shot at Williams, 26, when titlist Kermit Cintron suffered an injury and withdrew from their unification bout. Quintana started extremely fast, slowed down a little in the middle rounds, and then picked it up down the stretch. He opened cuts over both of Williams' eyes, including a terrible gash over his right eye in the 11th round. With all the hype from his handlers, Williams seemed to have overlooked Quintana. Williams also looked sapped at the weight, even though he insisted he would remain at welterweight. But it's probably not healthy for him to weigh in at 146¾ pounds and rehydrate all the way to 164 pounds.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Welterweight
Andre Berto TKO6 Michel Trabant

[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Records: Berto, 21-0, 18 KOs; Trabant, 43-3-1, 19 KOs
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Rafael's remark: The 2006 ESPN.com prospect of the year destroyed Trabant, who was fighting in the United States for the first time. Berto forced the former world title challenger and European champion from Germany to retire on his stool after the sixth round. Berto, 24, displayed his incredibly fast hands and good power against an opponent that showed no ability to mount any offense whatsoever. The fight was the first under Berto's three-bout contract with HBO. He's one of the most dynamic young fighters in the sport, but is absurdly ranked No. 1 by the WBC. He may someday deserve that perch, but he needs to step up and beat a serious opponent before he warrants that kind of recognition. Still, he did nothing wrong against Trabant and seems to be fighting in a more controlled manner with improving defense. In the star-filled welterweight division, Berto and his exciting style fit in well.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Heavyweight
Cristobal Arreola TKO1 Cliff Couser
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Records: Arreola, 23-0, 21 KOs; Couser, 26-15-2, 14 KOs
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Rafael's remark: No surprise: Couser lasted a mere 82 seconds before being stopped by Arreola, one of the top rising contenders. Couser was a particularly poor opponent and it wasn't a matter of if he'd be knocked out, it was a matter of when. Couser lost for the fifth time in six fights with each defeat coming inside two rounds. This was a joke match from the moment it was announced. Arreola had been out of action since September after passing on a "ShoBox" fight in the immediate wake of the shooting death of his best friend. Now that he's back, Arreola is poised for a meaningful fight.[/td] [/tr][/table] [table][tr][th=""]
Saturday at Leon Guanajuato, Mexico​
[/th] [/tr][tr][td]
Junior middleweight
Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. TKO8 Jose Celaya
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Records: Chavez Jr., 35-0-1, 28 KOs; Celaya, 31-3, 16 KOs
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Rafael's remark: Chavez, 21, didn't look great in this Top Rank PPV headliner, but the son of the legendary Julio Cesar Chavez Sr. (who was ringside working the Mexican television broadcast) took Celaya's will and made him quit. Chavez was taking a step up in competition against Celaya and almost had him out early. He scored a huge knockdown with a left hook in the second round, but Celaya survived. Celaya outboxed Chavez for stretches in the middle of the fight, but he had bad bruising under his left eye. A right hand dropped Celaya again in the eighth. After the action resumed, Chavez landed a blow directly on the swelling and Celaya turned away, shook his hand at the referee and quit. Promoter Bob Arum said Chavez will return in the main event of a pay-per-view card from Mexico on April 26.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Heavyweight
Tommy Morrison TKO3 Matt Weishaar
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Records: Morrison, 48-3-1, 42 KOs; Weishaar, 3-1-2, 1 KO
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Rafael's remark: The controversial Morrison fought even though his bout, which was announced by Top Rank as being part of the pay-per-view and then further promoted during the telecast, was ultimately held until after the main event at the direction of promoter Bob Arum, who told ESPN.com on Sunday that he decided to keep the bout off television at the last minute because he never wanted Morrison on the card in the first place. Arum said that Morrison was put on the card by one of his executives without his knowledge. Nonetheless, Morrison, 39, stopped Weishaar with a barrage of punches at 1:40 of the third round. If you don't know why this is controversial, you're either not a boxing fan or you've been under a rock for the past decade. Morrison tested positive for HIV in 1996. He insisted that he was clean in blood tests taken in late 2006 and early 2007 and apparently passed tests before being cleared to fight in February 2007, when he won his comeback in West Virginia. A former associate claimed that those tests were fraudulent. Morrison's participation in a fight in Mexico, where blood testing isn't mandatory, is scandalous. On the day of the bout, the American-based Association of Boxing Commissions pleaded with Mexican officials to stop the fight, to no avail. Morrison has said he would take a public blood test in the United States to prove he is HIV negative. Obviously, he hasn't done that yet. Don't hold your breath. The whole matter is a disgrace and Top Rank should be ashamed of itself. Arum, however, insisted that he didn't want him on the card in the first place and that he would never put Morrison on one of his cards again.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Junior flyweight
Edgar Sosa W12 Jesus Iribe
Retains a junior flyweight title
Scores: 120-108 (twice), 119-109​
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Records: Sosa, 31-5, 16 KOs; Iribe, 10-5-1, 4 KOs
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Rafael's remark: Sosa, 28, pitched a near-shutout in a dominant victory to retain his 108-pound belt for the fourth time since winning it in April 2007. He's been one of the busiest titleholders in the world. It was Sosa's 19th consecutive win since losing a 2003 majority decision to Ulises Solis, his Mexican countryman who now owns one of the other junior flyweight titles. A rematch is in order. Top Rank promotes both fighters, so it would be an easy fight to make. It won't happen just yet because Sosa is likely headed to Haiti for a March 28 defense against Carlos Mello.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Middleweight
Marco Antonio Rubio TKO7 Jose Luis Zertuche
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Records: Rubio, 41-4-1, 36 KOs; Zertuche, 19-5-2, 14 KOs
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Rafael's remark: Neither of these guys know the meaning of going backward, so they were in front of each other the whole fight. But Rubio, 27, is more skilled and fresher than Zertuche, 34, who hadn't fought in 13 months. In his previous bout, future middleweight champion Kelly Pavlik knocked him out in spectacular fashion. Zertuche doesn't look like he's recovered. This was a WBC regional title bout, so Rubio, a former world title challenger, knew he was ahead on all three scorecards after the fourth round under the organization's awful open scoring system. In the seventh, Rubio hammered Zertuche virtually at will and battered him around the ring until the referee stepped in.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Junior welterweight
Omar Chavez KO1 Miguel Camacho
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Records: Chavez, 6-0, 5 KOs; Camacho, 3-2-1, 1 KO
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Rafael's remark: Here's a shocker -- a Chavez scored a knockout with a brutal left hook to the body. Following in the footsteps of his famous father, Mexican icon Julio Cesar Chavez, and his older brother, headliner Julio Cesar Chavez Jr., Omar dispatched Camacho in 97 seconds with a single, digging body shot the same way his old man did to so many opponents. Omar, just 18, is considered by many to be more of a serious prospect than Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. Top Rank promoter Bob Arum is high on him, so we'll be seeing much more of him. Arum said Camacho needed to go to the hospital after the fight and was urinating blood after the body shot.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Junior featherweight
Bernabe Concepcion W12 Juan Ruiz
Scores: 114-112 (twice), 114-111​
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Records: Concepcion, 24-1-1, 13 KOs; Ruiz, 21-5, 6 KOs
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Rafael's remark: The opening fight of the pay-per-view card was a rough, physical bout filled with fouls, but Concepcion, a 20-year-old prospect from the Philippines, outmuscled Ruiz, of Santa Clarita, Calif., who dropped his third in a row. Both men were docked points for dirty tactics in the entertaining scrap.[/td] [/tr][/table]

Naw, Richard Steele kept his job and I believe he still is an active referee
I thought he retired already?

I couldn't get to my laptop during the fight but Berto was good, doesn't deserve that #1 spot from the WBC, but was good nonetheless. Paul Williamsshocked me but in a way I had a feeling it was coming eventually (not against Quintana but def along the line). He needs to move up but with his performanceon Saturday I don't see who he can win a belt from as he moves up. I was going to post division by division ranking but it's basically the samebesides the induviduals who fought this past weekend. Rafael dropped Paul down from #3 to #7.

Also I was thinking about this while watching the fight, does anyone else think if Cotto keeps fighting the main opposition in the division besides Mayweather(Gomez, Margarito/Cintron, maybe Williams, Quintana, Berto and whoever else comes along) and Mayweather keeps fighting only say once a year for the next twoyears against lower level opponents, that Cotto will go down as the better fighter when you look back? It sounds a little confusing but say if Floyddoesn't fight any of the fighters I mentioned and Cotto fights all the the top opposition (even losing one or two and coming back in a rematch to win), doyou think Cotto would go down as the better fighter after all is said and done?

I thought he retired already?
Yea Steele is retired.

Does anyone remember Mike Tyson/Razor Ruddock I? Steele reffed that fight too that %+*% looked shady too

If you can get ya hands on it U gotta peep it

Proshares, I feel you. Beating Great Competition is the true judge of a fighter's greatness. and Floyd is as skilled as they come but Hes not fightin anyand and all competition.
Ive said it before in these threads, what Floyd is doing, would be like Hearns not ever fighting Hagler, Leonard or Duran in their primes.
Those guys didnt Duck NO ONE. and its a shame if Floyd chooses that route to finish his career. His legacy will be tarnished tremendously if he bows out andnever fought Cotto, Margarito, Mosely or any of the other upper echelon fighters from 147 - 154

No need to diss Floyd YET. If he retires permanently without fighting Cotto and them go ahead and bash him, but he doesn't need to fight them allimmediately. People were accusing Leonard of ducking Hearns back in the day because he wouldn't fight him right away. In reality he was just delaying thefight until the hype built up. People to this day claim that SRL ducked Aaron Pryor. Pryor showed up at SRL's press conferences and took that %%*$ over tochallenge Leonard to a fight. Very few fighters actually fight everybody throughout their career. People will always claim they didn't fight somebody.

i agree he should fight cotto. but why even waste his time with the likes of Mosley and Margarito? can You imgaine Margarito trying to fight Floyd?
roll.gif

I need to get my hands on a boxing avy. Gunna you got the means to hook up a fellow Boxing thread regular when you get some time?

fa sho

get me the youtube link to the fight or fighter you want and tell me which part you want it should be nore more than 4 or 5 seconds tho.
once I learned how, them joints only take me like 10 - 15 minutes to do.

Im bout to make Berto's triple left hook from BAD my new avy later today.

Originally Posted by TheProfessorOfPugilism

No need to diss Floyd YET. If he retires permanently without fighting Cotto and them go ahead and bash him, but he doesn't need to fight them all immediately. People were accusing Leonard of ducking Hearns back in the day because he wouldn't fight him right away. In reality he was just delaying the fight until the hype built up. People to this day claim that SRL ducked Aaron Pryor. Pryor showed up at SRL's press conferences and took that %%*$ over to challenge Leonard to a fight. Very few fighters actually fight everybody throughout their career. People will always claim they didn't fight somebody.

I think Floyd has a very solid resume without ever having to step into the ring with Miguel.

I think it happens next year or 2010 as a retirement fight for Floyd

Back
Top Bottom