*'11-'12 LAKERS Thread; 41-25* 1st Rd: DEN (go to 1st Rd. Thread)

Reggie Miller's Commentating is 
sick.gif

I really want to know why Kapono and Barnes aren't being used more. Did they piss Mike Brown off in a past life or something?
laugh.gif

*insert 'I demand an answer' pic of little baby*
laker4lifeman:
I wouldn't mind WOULD LOVE Milsap on the lakers.
Same here.

Forget Millsap (who I like), I'd take Harris. He's not a consistent shooter, but his speed would be a breathe of fresh air on the team.

Originally Posted by tupac003

Originally Posted by LVJordan238

That's why you add the picks...
LO TPE is 8.9 mill The value of a 1st round pick is 2.1 or 2.3 mil. Hedo makes 11 mil....do the math.
[h4]74. How are draft picks handled in trades?[/h4][h4]"Draft picks (both first and second round) count $0 for salary matching purposes. This is true both before and after the draft, until the player signs a contract."
[/h4]https://webfiles.uci.edu/...cbafaq/salarycap.htm#Q74

Then its cash considerations or a filler. Bottom line is they would make it match up. Its 2 million.

Cash doesn't count as cap space either and you can't add players with a trade exception. It is not possible to take Turk with the trade exception. Nelson is the biggest contract the Magic have that would fit into our trade exception.

Utah tonight.
roll.gif
sick.gif

Not even really impressed with our game tonight. If Utah could buy a basket this game could be close.

Never thought of Murphy has a rebounder, he impressed me today. Peace needs to spread this good game of his over the 66 game season.

knightngale:
It is nice to see that the lakers can still beat lottery bound teams
Dammit, I'm upset with myself that I forgot to use a spoiler in my previous reply to predict that you would say that. Your reply right there was as predictable as a bear $@%+$!%+ in the woods.
laugh.gif

[h4]74. How are draft picks handled in trades?[/h4][h4]"Draft picks (both first and second round) count $0 for salary matching purposes. This is true both before and after the draft, until the player signs a contract."

Then its cash considerations or a filler. Bottom line is they would make it match up. Its 2 million.

Cash doesn't count as cap space either and you can't add players with a trade exception. It is not possible to take Turk with the trade exception. Nelson is the biggest contract the Magic have that would fit into our trade exception.

Utah tonight.
roll.gif
sick.gif

Not even really impressed with our game tonight. If Utah could buy a basket this game could be close.
Since when doesn't cash fit? LOL Come on EVERY beat writer, blogger and "insider" has said it can work.
Glad we are going to get a win. Still trying to figure out why the crowd is chanting for Barnes....

So what's the deal with AK47?

Wikipedia says he's currently playing for a Russian team. Is he locked into a contract and has to play out his contract there or does no NBA team want him.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Lakers picking him up for cheap.

Every time I see Mike Brown up and coaching I think he's going to call a timeout...Im used to Phil sitting down all game and going getting up to call a timeout.

Garbage time.

Goodeluck and Walton in, but no Matt Barnes?!

No really, this concerns me. Something's not right.

According to J.A. Adande he's injured....

jadande J.A. Adande
Hurt. Bursitis in left hip. RT @Rudeboy_KB81: is @Matt_Barnes22 hurt or in M. Brown's dog house???

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

Garbage time.

Goodeluck and Walton in, but no Matt Barnes?!

No really, this concerns me. Something's not right.

trade? yea i know we all wish 
laugh.gif

maybe he got into it with mike brown in the locker. man am i wrong for expecting one of the lakers players to pop mike brown in the face one of these days? kobe, meta, or matt barnes...

I'm curious too why matt barnes didn't get any minutes? Has he ever played in these 3 games? Dude must do or say something that upset Brown

Utah tonight.
roll.gif
sick.gif

Lakers Trades: Making Sense of How Odom Trade Fits into a Dwight Howard Deal    

By William Van Noll (Featured Columnist) on December 11, 2011 15,296 reads 31  

Ronald Martinez/Getty Images

At the Los Angeles Lakers media day Sunday, many Lakers players were surprised and shocked by management's latest move that sent Lamar Odom and a 2012 second-round pick to the Dallas Mavericks in return for an $8.9 million trade exception and the Mav's 2012 first-round pick.

Laker fans are hoping this was a necessary move in order to land Dwight Howard because as it stands, the Lamar Odom trade doesn't fit neatly into any deal with Orlando.

Or does it? 

Is Jim Buss an evil genius or has he absolutely lost his mind?

From my back-of-the-napkin calculations, here's how the LO deal lands Dwight Howard.

Orlando's Outgoing Salary

It's well known by NBA executives that Orlando wants to move Hedo Turkolgu with Dwight Howard in order to get his contract off Orlando's books.

Looking at the Orlando Magic's salaries, Dwight Howard is under contract for $17,885,400 next year; Hedo Turkoglu, $10,600,000.

Combined, the two players earn $28,488,400. The Lakers need to swap salaries within this range in order to complete a deal.

Lakers Use of the Odom Trade Exception

The Lakers cannot use the Lamar Odom trade exception of $8.9 million to take on Turkoglu's contract. Nor can they combine this $8.9 trade exception with other trade exceptions to get to the magic $11 million number required to execute the trade.

What the Lakers can do is trade this exception to another team for an $8 million player with the approval of Orlando. The Lakers then fill an actual body into this trade exception, under Orlando's guidance, and use it to consummate a trade.

Using the trade exception to acquire a player is in effect a non-simultaneous trade. The Lakers and Magic can only organize a multi-player deal where the unnamed player to be received by the Lakers under the $8.9 trade exception is executed as a one-player deal, completing the non-simultaneous Lamar Odom trade, and then used in a larger package between the teams.

Lakers' Outgoing Salary and Offer

This $8 million player is then thrown into the Dwight Howard deal for the Lakers' Andrew Bynum, Howard's successor in Orlando.

Andrew Bynum is under contract for $15,157,667 next year. 

With Andrew Bynum and an approximate $8 million player, you get combined salaries of $23,157,667.

As taxpaying teams, the Los Angeles Lakers and Orlando Magic can trade player contracts within a 25 percent net margin under the new labor agreement (taxpaying teams are restricted to 125 percent of value of outgoing salaries).

One hundred and twenty five percent of Andrew Bynum plus this $8 million player equates to approximately $28,947,000, enough to take on Dwight and Hedo.

Throw in the Mavericks 2012 first-round pick acquired in the LO trade and the Lakers 2012 first-round pick, and you've got a deal that is both more attractive than New Jersey's and one the league will likely not veto since it includes future draft picks, the basis by which the league twice rejected the three-team Chris Paul deal.

The Lakers have already said they will not trade Pau Gasol and Andrew Bynum, which I wholeheartedly agree with. Losing both Pau Gasol and Andrew Bynum is a death knell for the franchise, essentially trading three seven footers for one.

I don't care how good Dwight Howard is—he's simply not worth the collective front of Bynum, Gasol and Odom.

But with these two new trading chips at their disposal, an $8.9 million trade exception and an extra 2012 first round draft pick, Lakers management now has the tools necessary to orchestrate this huge blockbuster deal.

Still too early to tell which way this whole thing will unfold

Utah tonight.
roll.gif
sick.gif

Since when doesn't cash fit? LOL Come on EVERY beat writer, blogger and "insider" has said it can work.
Glad we are going to get a win. Still trying to figure out why the crowd is chanting for Barnes....

[h4]85. Can cash be included as part of a trade package?[/h4]
"Players can be traded for cash, and cash can be included in trade packages. The amount of cash is limited to $3 million. The cash is NOT considered when matching salaries under the Traded Player exception."
The only way to get Turk with Dwight is to send either Bynum+Pau or Bynum+fillers. (Walton, MWP, Blake)

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

knightngale:
It is nice to see that the lakers can still beat lottery bound teams
Dammit, I'm upset with myself that I forgot to use a spoiler in my previous reply to predict that you would say that. Your reply right there was as predictable as a bear $@%+$!%+ in the woods.
laugh.gif

Well this happened last year as well. Beating on bad teams except for the Bobcats of the world and then getting owned by the contenders. It was as if the Lakers were the Lebron era Cavaliers. Feels bad man
frown.gif

If you can predict my next post you will be awarded a lifetime supply of Luke Waltons

Back
Top Bottom