09 Boxing Thread:: 12/12 Diaz.vs.Malignaggi HBO/Bradley.vs.Peterson Showtime

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

Winky may not have been seriously hurt, but his face swells pretty bad.
and I think his face is gonna be a wreck after about 7 rounds

Saturday can't come fast enough.

For boxing's sake, I hope Paul does win. If he does the stage is set for him to start taking big fights in 3 different weight classes. But if hedominates, who can you say is going to come out and want to fight this man? Outside of Clottey, Cotto and maybe Sergio I don't see anyone stepping up tothe plate. It's a little bit of a lose/lose situation, he's already been ducked so many times imagine if he dominates or even KO's Winky.

It'll never happen in a million years but I was thinking about it today, but if they were in the same weight class Paul/Dawson would be a dream fight
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
Bad Chad would Wreck that ++%!%
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

It looked like Paul carried his power to Jr Middle, but could he take it to middleweight.

how bout with a win, Punisher vs Ghost for 160 Title ... *shrugs*

Dangerous fight for Andre Ward.Regardless of the fact that Edison is a one-dimensional fraud...he can still bang.

as much as I get a kick outta Edson losing, I dont think he's a fraud. He damn near murdered King Arthur in Germany. Even tho he lhe got a "L", Ifelt like he won that fight.
and vs Ghost
smh.gif
Pavlik's right hand is a concrete cinder block
He's basically lost to the 2 best Middleweights fightign today.

Ward's people mighta put him in the water with the sharks

You do have a point.

He just reminds me of a bigger Ricardo Mayorga...

For all the nonsense he talks, fought HARD to get that rematch against Abraham...we saw the result.

I'd rather see Edison fight Andrade...
eek.gif
That's a war, IMO.

EDIT: Andre's people should've put him in with somebody like Allan Green, but it's so damn hard to make a fight with that dude...

how bout with a win, Punisher vs Ghost for 160 Title ... *shrugs*
Not yet...we have to see Pavlik vs. Abraham first...I wouldn't have a problem with him fighting for the other belt from Sturm if his peoplewill stop highballing him.

He damn near murdered King Arthur in Germany. Even tho he lhe got a "L", I felt like he won that fight.
He threw everything he had but Arthur kept coming forward and landed his own bombs as well. That's one fight I'd feel I wouldn't havehad a problem with a draw.

I'd rather see Edison fight Andrade
That would be an awesome fight but I'm sticking with Librado for that one. Not because he's the better puncher but his chin is steel. Kessler threw every punch he had in life and didn't put Andrade on the canvas once.

Kessler/Miranda would be good as long as it lasted. Hell Kessler/Froch would be good.

smh.gif
@ Kessler.

B-Hop in Punisher's future
nerd.gif

[h2]Division diversity the "Wright" strategy?[/h2]
Comment Email Print Share
By Kieran Mulvaney
Special to ESPN.com
Archive

box_a_williams_576.jpg
AP Photo/George RuhePaul Williams' moniker as boxing's most avoided man often works to his detriment.

What do you call a welterweight with the reach of a heavyweight and the punch output of a lightweight, who on Saturday is facing a former junior middleweight champion in a middleweight bout, and whose best hope of a big-money fight may be at super-middleweight against a former middleweight and light-heavyweight king?

His promoter calls him "the most feared man in boxing."

After outpointing Antonio Margarito for the WBO welterweight crown in August 2007, Paul Williams not unnaturally imagined that he would be an integral part of an emerging and exciting 147-pound sweepstakes with the likes of Miguel Cotto, Shane Mosley and Floyd Mayweather.

It didn't work out that way.

Instead of facing the 6-foot-1 Williams, Mayweather opted to take on junior welterweight champ Ricky Hatton, and after knocking out the man from Manchester, agreed to a second fight with Oscar De La Hoya before changing his mind and announcing his retirement.

Meanwhile, despite losing to Williams, Margarito was the one who received the call to fight Cotto. After handing the Puerto Rican his first loss, Margarito passed on an offer of a Williams rematch and instead took less money to receive a pounding from Mosley.

That left the man from South Carolina with a shortage of willing welterweight dance partners and prompted his team to pursue a different strategy.

"Because he's the most feared man in boxing, we got together on a game plan, and that game plan was to do what Henry Armstrong did, and participate in a multitude of weight divisions so we could identify a broad selection of suitable opponents," promoter Dan Goossen told ESPN.com.

The plan began with a move up to middleweight and a first-round knockout of Andy Kolle. It was followed by a trip back down to 154 pounds and an eighth-round stoppage of Verno Phillips, and it continues this Saturday, when he steps into the ring at the Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas to face former junior middleweight champ Winky Wright.

Like Williams, Wright is a man who has had difficulty finding opponents, his defensive southpaw style presenting a puzzle that is hard to solve, and even more difficult to look good against.

"It's tough when nobody wants to fight you and, you know, you see all these other fighters getting fights," Wright told reporters recently. "You can't get the fight just because nobody wants to fight you. It ain't because you ain't good enough. It's just they don't want to fight you. So, you know, I know how Paul feels about being avoided."

Also like Williams, Wright has moved outside his weight division in search of opposition; his last bout, almost two years ago, was a points defeat to then-light heavyweight champion Bernard Hopkins. Hopkins, who as president of Golden Boy East is now Wright's promoter, thinks the veteran has the edge in the matchup.

box_a_winky_200.jpg

AP Photo/Jae C. HongThough an underdog, Winky Wright has proven he won't be bullied around.

"Paul Williams is a good fighter," he told ESPN.com. "I just think with Winky's defense, Williams is going to have trouble when Winky closes the gap and takes those long arms away from him. I don't think he has the strength to bully and muscle Winky around, which is what I did. I had to make it ugly, scrappy, some holding. I don't think Williams has that strength, that's not how he fights.

"I think Paul Williams wants to make a statement, I believe he has to make a statement, and I believe he's going to fall into Winky Wright's plan by going out there and trying to be the first to knock Winky Wright out."

Hopkins, who spent almost the entirety of his career at middleweight before moving up to 175 pounds in 2006, thinks the Williams strategy of bouncing up and down the weight divisions is a recipe for disaster.

"I think that going from any weight class, going down and then going back up, it's bad for anybody's body. I think he gets away with it now, based on his age," he said.

Williams concedes he still feels most comfortable at the welterweight limit.

"I can make it with no problem," he told ESPN.com. "But I'm forced to move out of 147. If I can't get any fights there, why stay there?"

It is, he said, a frustrating situation.

"You see a lot of other guys on TV, they say they're the best and they'll fight everybody and all this and that, but when it comes down to it, they won't fight anybody," he said. "It's gotten to the point where I don't want to call guys out anymore, because it's gotten to the point where, if I call them out, they don't want to fight."

His promoter has no such qualms.

"We'd like to take the whole Golden Boy team and encourage them to stay firmly in the promotional business," said Goossen. "Starting with Winky Wright, and we'd like Shane Mosley; and George [Peterson, Williams' trainer] and Paul have said they'd be willing to fight Bernard Hopkins at 168 pounds."

"Paul Williams is hoping to come up to 168?" responded Hopkins when told of Goossen's comment. "That would be fantastic. That would be great. I would love it. I'd love it. It's a fight that people would want to see. I think TV would love it. I think it would be a situation, can Bernard Hopkins derail another up-and-coming star?"

Stepping into The Executioner's lair is a trap into which more than one highly touted fighter has fallen -- most recently middleweight champion Kelly Pavlik, who was schooled by Hopkins last October. But to land the big fight he craves, it is a step Williams may feel he has to take.

First, of course, he has to get past Wright. But if he does, Hopkins may well be ready and waiting for him.

"I think it's crazy," said Hopkins of Williams' travels through the weight classes. "I think it's a stress on the body. But if he wants to make it happen, come on."

(()) Khan getting to fight for a belt
grin.gif

[h2]Khan moving up to challenge Kotelnik[/h2]
Associated Press

LONDON -- Amir Khan will make his first world title challenge when he moves up to light-welterweight to challenge WBA champion Andreas Kotelnik on June 27.

The big-punching 22-year-old British lightweight, who beat three-time world champion Marco Antonio Barrera in his last fight March 14, will face the 31-year-old German-based Ukrainian, although promoter Frank Warren said Wednesday the venue is still to be decided.

Kotelnik (31-2-1) earned a split decision over Argentina's Marcos Rene Maidana to hold on to his title Feb. 7.

"This is the best news that I could have received," said Khan, who is 20-1. "To fight for the world title in only my 22nd fight and at the age of just 22 is fantastic."

Khan first made an impact when he won an Olympic silver medal at the 2004 Athens Olympics as a 17-year-old, and has shown his potential as a pro with a series of spectacular knockouts.

But he also revealed a suspect chin when he was knocked out in 54 seconds by Colombia's Breidis Prescott in September last year, and needed the fifth round stoppage victory over the highly respected but veteran Barrera to restore some credibility.

"I've seen Kotelnik a few times and I've always been impressed by him," Khan said. "Once my trainer Freddie Roach works out the game plan to beat him, it's my job to execute it on the night as I did effectively against Barrera."

Warren said the venue will be confirmed shortly, although it is expected to be in Britain.

"This is the moment that Amir has been waiting for and I'm delighted to deliver him the opportunity," the promoter said. "Amir put in a sensational performance against a three-time world champion in Barrera in only his 21st fight, and now he has to produce the same form against Kotelnik, who is a good hard fighter."

Khan has fought once at the heavier weight, scoring a unanimous decision over Rachid Drilzane of France in December 2006.

Kotelnik has fought three times in England. He lost his European title to Junior Witter four years ago, drew with WBA champion Souleymane M'Baye in 2007, and beat Gavin Rees to win the WBA crown last year.

Since beating Rees, he has outpointed Norio Kimura and Maidana to hold onto his title.

Police: Miguel Cotto, uncle trade blows
Associated Press

SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico -- Puerto Rican police say they are investigating an alleged fight between WBO welterweight champion Miguel Cotto and his trainer, who have had a sometimes combative relationship in the past.

A statement issued by the police says the elite boxer and Evangelista Cotto, the fighter's uncle, exchanged blows Wednesday after a heated argument about training at a gym in the champ's hometown of Caguas.

After the bruising scrap, Evangelista Cotto allegedly threw a cement block on his nephew's 2009 Jaguar, shattering a right-side window.

Cotto's spokeswoman did not immediately return calls seeking comment.

Puerto Rican detectives are investigating the incident even though neither of the men has filed a complaint.

eek.gif
I've said for the longest that Miguel needs a new trainer. I mean,the guy basically trains himself in the gym...

He's too hung up on being loyal...this man who you call your uncle just threw a brick at you/your car.

Also...i'm confused about the Khan/Kotelnik fight. I thought Victor Ortiz was fighting Kotelnik?

Winky-Wright-10.jpg

Ronald Wright

pimp.gif

Even with the two year lay off, he's still the best name on Paul's resume.

Saturday night, we're gonna find out who the real Paul Williams is

Originally Posted by Stringer Bell 32

Paul-Williams-Quintana1.jpg

How you gonna do your own man like that, Jay?

smh.gif

makes no sense at all

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

I'm hyped to see this fight to see what Paul can do. Don't feel like putting Winky as this avy too
laugh.gif

^

and we haven't even gotten to hatton - pacquaio in May

pimp.gif

but for real, since 2007 this boxing thread has grown over the course of time with more and more regulars joining

and its all thanks to this guy Amo who had the vision to start it all up....whatever happen to dude?

laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Stringer Bell 32

^

and we haven't even gotten to hatton - pacquaio in May

pimp.gif

but for real, since 2007 this boxing thread has grown over the course of time with more and more regulars joining

and its all thanks to this guy Amo who had the vision to start it all up....whatever happen to dude?

laugh.gif
I don't know what happened to him, but i DO know that he was a great, GREAT man for starting all this up. I strive to be like him one day.
wink.gif

I dunno two years is a long layoff, Wright needs a tune up b4 P Will
I just wanna see a Williams/Mayweather fight, now thats a dream fight

How he gonna throw a Brick through the window lol crazy from cussing each other out in the gym to fighting each other in the corner of his brothers fight tothrowing bricks they need to split up .Miguel is a hard worker and his technique is great so it shouldnt be hard for a new guy to pick up and train him . Ilike Paul Williams by UD he work rate will be very high and Winky will have a bit too much rust against him .

Stinger i heard AMO is now working with the Colombian Boxing Association . H e single handedly want to make sure contenders are ready be for being thrown onthe world stage

Originally Posted by dako akong otin

ah ok... was wonderin what all that skating was earlier
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
Bro, I looked at the vid I was like What the @%** is goin on!!??

thats a real good interview of Winky and Williams.

Williams said He'll go to 168 if Calzaghe comes out of retirement.
then said if not, he wants Pavlik for middleweight crown. if not that, Cotto
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by dako akong otin

ah ok... was wonderin what all that skating was earlier
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
Bro, I looked at the vid I was like What the @%** is goin on!!??

thats a real good interview of Winky and Williams.

Williams said He'll go to 168 if Calzaghe comes out of retirement.
then said if not, he wants Pavlik for middleweight crown. if not that, Cotto
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Gotta give the man his props there. He's willing to fight anyone and everyone between 4 weight classes.

quick question kinda random but , Does Winky Fight with special mouthguards?

cus he's wearing braces, how the hell does he fight without the inside of his lips being grated and all bloodied up

GUNNA GET IT wrote:
quick question kinda random but , Does Winky Fight with special mouthguards?

cus he's wearing braces, how the hell does he fight without the inside of his lips being grated and all bloodied up

That's a good question, never thought about that.

Thought you'd like this Gunna
laugh.gif

Steiny (NYC): What are you going to need to do in order to beat Winky Wright?

sn2.gif
Paul Williams: I have to stay busy and out work him. I can't worry about what he's doing, I just need to focus on staying busy.

Walter (Albuquerque, NM): If the fight goes well against Winky, do you see yourself staying at middleweight and possibly fighting for a title?

sn2.gif
Paul Williams: I will still go back down to 147 but I see myself going back-and-forth between weight classes. Wherever I can get a fight is the weight I will fight at.

Corey (Morgantown, WV): Punisher - do you plan on throwing the same volume of punches against the defensive ability of Winky?

sn2.gif
Paul Williams: I don't know but I believe that I can. My hand speed is just as quick as his and I think I will be able to land a good number of clean shots.

Kyle (Indianapolis): Have you considered bringing in a high profile trainer, or been approached by anyone as a up and comer that wanted to train you?

sn2.gif
Paul Williams: I have the same trainer that started with me from day one. George Peterson has been there with me for the past 11 years and if it ain't broke then don't fix it. The more people you bring in, the more headaches.

Luis (Elk Grove Village, IL): Hey Paul, given Winky's long arms and tight defense, will your body shots be a primary factor in this fight?

sn2.gif
Paul Williams: I'm going to work body and head. I'm going to work him and hit him wherever I can. If he hits me with the jab, I will come back and hit him with three or four of my good punches.

Mike (San Diego): Paul, that KO1 of Quintana had to feel good. Is that your favorite KO or do you have another?

sn2.gif
Paul Williams: It felt real good. I really don't have and favorites but that one is at the top of my list. He wrote me off and he got knocked out.

Sam (Englishtown, NJ): What did you learn from your fight against Antonio Margarito?

sn2.gif
Paul Williams: I learned that I can go hard all 12 rounds. He showed me that when it gets down to crunch time, I can hold my own. The fight made my confidence level up even higher.

April (Bronx, NY): How did you get the nickname The Punisher?

sn2.gif
Paul Williams: My manager and I where coming back from Atlanta and we stopped at The Waffle House. He told me that I needed a boxing name and we came up with The Punisher of a patty plate.

James (Myrtle Beach, SC): Paul, good luck from all of us in SC! do you get much love from back in south carolina?...boxing is not as big here as you would think

sn2.gif
Paul Williams: I get a lot of love from my fans. Driving down the highway folks wave and show a lot of that South Carolina love.

Jeff (Pomona, CA): If you could have fought any middleweight legend in their prime, who would it be?

sn2.gif
Paul Williams: I think I would want to fight Sugar Ray Robinson.

Michael (Detroit, MI): What makes you the best fighter in the world?

sn2.gif
Paul Williams: (laughing) I wouldn't say that I'm the best fight but I think people put me up there because I hold my on. I'm not flashy, I hold my own and I come to fight each and every time.

Joe (White Plains, NY): Are you a better all-around boxer than Winky Wright?

sn2.gif
Paul Williams: In my opinion, yes. I can fight inside and out. So yes, I don think that I'm a better boxer than him.

Ray (Villanova): After you beat Winky, are you considering fighting Bernard?

sn2.gif
Paul Williams: I would love to get in the ring with Bernard. The call me the Legend Killer for a reason. I want to fight the best fighters out there and he's one of them.

sn2.gif
Paul Williams: To my fans, I respect you for all the love that you give me. To everybody else, I still respect you. Tune in Saturday, April 11 to HBO because I will show you why you should be a fan!
::Dr. Dre:: $%#@* is you crazy? ::Dr. Dre::

Back
Top Bottom