09 Boxing Thread:: 12/12 Diaz.vs.Malignaggi HBO/Bradley.vs.Peterson Showtime

That was an epic fight last night. I haven't been geeked watching a fight like that since Corrales/Castillo 1.

Thats def my fight of the year. Reminded me of a throw back brawl.

Its rare you see men of that size throw down with that type of skill and ferocity...They were fighting like 130 lbers in there.

I have to rewatch it and score it myself but from the first watch it felt like a draw. That 119-100 was foul.

Paul's spacing was bad for much of the fight and he hardly went to the body. In the later rounds he started popping that double jab and creating distancebut Sergio is too fast and accurate to keep your guards down.

Martinez's speed and accuracy is crazy
eek.gif
. He gets in and out,connecting with that right hook like a guided missile....I like his corner too. They were giving real good advice.

Would love to see a rematch but these type of fights shorten fighters career. I wouldn't be mad at Punishers camp if they went after a big name/big paydayfor his next bout.

Amir Khan is going to be an exciting fighter, glass chin and all. Hes got some good speed and technique and it looks like Freddy has helped him take his powerup to 140 now. Can't wait to see him mix it up with the other legit Jr. Welters. I don't see him beating the Petersons or the Bradleys but the fightswould be exciting. I could see him and Baby Bull having one hell of a fight though.

Prince Naseem BLEW UP....
eek.gif
laugh.gif

2ypcf86.jpg

Word is if Sergio can't get a rematch w/Paul right away he will take a unification fight w/Spinks or wait to see if Margarito if reinstated and lobbyw/Arum for a rematch. But Paul has said he wants to fight him at 154 down the road next year but he, as well as Goosen, want a big fight the first half of nextyear.

Promoter Dan Goossen had to play referee on Saturday night when his two heavyweights, Chris Arreola and Tony Thompson, began to exchange verbal punches during the post-fight press conference to Paul Williams-Sergio Martinez. Arreola stopped Brian Minto in the HBO televised co-feature. Thompson appeared on the undercard and stopped Chazz Witherspoon. BoxingScene.com's Bill Emes caught all of the drama as it unfolded.

Thompson was speaking about a potential fight with "I Hope that I can meet Arreola later."

"Now, not later" - Arreola would answer back.

Thompson - "I think it would be a great fight"

Arreola - "I'm better"

Thompson - "Hey, that's his opinion"

Arreola - "That's what I know"

Thompson - "If Dan and HBO are not afraid to put their baby up, we can prove it once and for all"

Arreola: "We've seen the way you went down against [Wladimir] Klitschko. Not me, I didn't go to sleep [against Vitali Klitschko]. I'm sorry I got a chin"

Thompson: "That's true, but a loss is a loss. A lot of people don't know this, but I was fighting Klitschko on one leg. I had a meniscus tear. That's not no excuse. I'll do anything for my family, including fighting that monster on one leg."

Arreola: "I don't talk. I don't count nobdoy out but once they mention my name it pisses me off. I never called nobody out"

Thompson: "I'm not calling you out"

Arreola: "I believe you did, you called me a big baby"

Thompson: "I didn't call you a big baby"

Arreola: "You said I was HBO's baby"

Then a member of Team Thompson cut in and said "Then make the fight"

Arreola exploded with "Hey, you shut the f**k up"

And then the member of Team Thompson answered - "Hey, f**ck you man"

Arreola would respond - "What? F**k me?"

And the member of Team Thompson said - "Yeah, f**ck you"

As the situation started to get really tense, Goossen cut everyone off to shut the situation down.

"All of you guys, we are here talking about a great night of boxing. We are not here at a press conference to announce another fight," Goossen said.

Originally Posted by 85wasagreatyear

watching the replay, sergio is gaining alot of respect from me and its only the 3rd round. this guy is fast!
where can i watch a replay?

Originally Posted by HAM CITY

Originally Posted by 85wasagreatyear

watching the replay, sergio is gaining alot of respect from me and its only the 3rd round. this guy is fast!
where can i watch a replay?
someone please post a link

I knew this fight was going to be good but it turned out to be a "modern boxing classic" and explosive from round 1. I have to say this was boxing atits finest and was speechless during rounds - how can you not LOVE this sport. Im jus upset that it was at boardwalk hall and missed out on it in person due topersonal arrangements
mad.gif

Surprising to see that people underestimated Sergio Martinez or really didnt give him a shot against PW. Sergio is fearless and his aggressive nature makes hima live dog. I was amazed to see both fighters still standing after the ferocious exchanges throughout the fight and this was a NON-TITLE fight at that. Bothfighters stock didn't drop at all if anything they both won even though I doubt anyone wants to fight PW with his style and iron beard cause he took someserious shots from a certified mw. I just wished somebody would have did some bodywork after watching Bute last week. I do question pwill boxing iq becausefights would be sooo much easier if he used that dam reach and fought outside all day. He struggles with quick boxers who use angles and lateral movementswhich Quintana exposed and Martinez camp utilized. Some writer compared PW to Corrales which is spot-on because they have the height, reach, talent to breakdown opponents but they get caught up in standing toe to toe. As for Sergio, why the hell hasnt he learn to put those hands up when coming in to alleviate thepower of those punches he receives. I thought Sergio was done after round 5/6 cause he looked exhausted on shaky legs but caught a 2nd wind and came backemphatically. If it was anybody but PW im sure he would have walked away with a KO victory. I dont think either fighter deserved an L for that performance lastnight.

As for the 119-110, Im going to use a line from Huey P
{Malignaggi} Boxing is full of s_ man!!!...Every f***in fight" {Malignaggi}
the judging in boxing has always been controversial but this is getting to be comical and disgusting. if a fight goes the distance and the fighteris backed by hbo and/or top rank-golden boy you already know who won. this year alone the judging in collazo-berto, funeka-guzman, paulie-diaz evencintron-martinez have all been a disgrace. you already know the outcome b4 they step in the ring and it seems like the underdog has to basically knock theiropponent out cold to win. i had it a draw but 115-113 pwill or martinez is fine anything more was absurd. pierre benoist basically filled out his scoring cardon a prediction and took a nap at ringside while talking to some ringside smutz. unfortunately, i dont see a rematch anytime soon cause goossen knows theydodged a bullet and the fight did more for martinez than it did for pwill judging by their post-fight comments and expressions.

FOTY 2009
Sergio Martinez vs. Paul Williams

This fight aint leaving the DVR for a long time, hell of a scrap. Paul Williams just doesnt make for boring fights and has a god damn chin. Granted he wentdown in the 1st but he took some heavy shots. As for Martinez, great performance but unfortunately almost too good for his sake. Who the hell is going to wantto get into the ring with this dude?

Originally Posted by Scott Frost

This fight aint leaving the DVR for a long time, hell of a scrap. Paul Williams just doesnt make for boring fights and has a god damn chin. Granted he went down in the 1st but he took some heavy shots. As for Martinez, great performance but unfortunately almost too good for his sake. Who the hell is going to want to get into the ring with this dude?
Nobody wanted to fight Martinez before the fight, hell, nobody wanted to fight either guy before this fight. Now I know for sure anyone andeveryone who is asked about a possible matchup between these two will be dodged and will eventually die. Shame, these two deserve to more recognition for whatthey have done.

As for Sergio, why the hell hasnt he learn to put those hands up when coming in to alleviate the power of those punches he receives.
Always been that way, figures he can lure people in when they see his hands down and use his speed to get in and out quickly. Needs to get rid ofthat but after 15 years I doubt he'll change that.

Originally Posted by EdWord

Originally Posted by Stringer Bell 32

Sir Rob A Lot wrote:

In my opinion....

JMM/Diaz > Pun/Martinez for FOTY

Williams - Martinez was a nice fight but FOTY??

laugh.gif
yesssss
Nah, I got the JMM/Diaz war for FOTY. I was responding to the people calling Williams/Martinez FOTY. I agree it was a close, tough scrap. ButJMM/Diaz was a WAR.

Originally Posted by Proshares

More news:
[h2]Exec: Chavez tested positive for diuretic[/h2]

Comment Email Print By Dan Rafael
ESPN.com
Archive

Middleweight Julio Cesar Chavez Jr., the son of the former three-division champion and Mexican icon, tested positive for a banned substance in conjunction with his Nov. 14 fight against Troy Rowland, according to the Nevada State Athletic Commission.

Executive director Keith Kizer said Saturday that Chavez, who tested positive for Furosemide, a diuretic, faces a fine and suspension.

[+] Enlarge
AP Photo/Mark J. TerrillJulio Cesar Chavez Jr., right, won a 10-round middleweight decision against Troy Rowland last month. Chavez faces a fine and ban in Nevada.

Chavez (41-0-1, 30 KOs) won a 10-round decision against Rowland in the co-featured bout on the Manny Pacquiao-Miguel Cotto undercard at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. Kizer said the positive results came from Chavez's pre-fight urinalysis.

All of the other boxers on the card had negative test results, Kizer said.

The commission filed a formal complaint on Tuesday against Chavez. He has 20 days to respond, which will be followed by a hearing at a date to be determined. If Chavez does not respond to the complaint, the commission may reach a decision in his absence.

If the commission upholds the test result, which it usually does, the result of the fight would be changed to a no decision.

According to the complaint, Chavez, 23, faces a suspension of up to nine months and a fine that could equal his entire $100,000 purse, although fighters are typically fined a smaller portion in these cases. In addition, Chavez would be required to provide a negative urine test before he's allowed to fight in Nevada again.

Chavez, a cash cow for promoters Top Rank and Mexico-based Zanfer Promotions, would be barred from fighting in the United States during a suspension. However, it would not prevent him from fighting in Mexico, where he has fought most of his bouts and draws big crowds as the headliner on Top Rank's series of "Latin Fury" pay-per-view cards.

"I think it was an innocent mistake, one that the Nevada commission will have to deal with, as well as Chavez," said Top Rank's Carl Moretti. "I don't think he knew diuretics were banned by the Nevada commission."

EVEN MORE REASON TO HATE THIS BUM. USING JUICE AND STILL TRASH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just saw the Paul Williams/Martinez fight. In my opinion, Paul Williams lost that fight. Martinez got absolutely robbed. 119-110? Kiddin me?

Originally Posted by TCERDA

Proshares wrote:

More news:

ESPN.com
Archive

Middleweight Julio Cesar Chavez Jr., the son of the former three-division champion and Mexican icon, tested positive for a banned substance in conjunction with his Nov. 14 fight against Troy Rowland, according to the Nevada State Athletic Commission.

Executive director Keith Kizer said Saturday that Chavez, who tested positive for Furosemide, a diuretic, faces a fine and suspension.

[+] Enlarge

AP Photo/Mark J. TerrillJulio Cesar Chavez Jr., right, won a 10-round middleweight decision against Troy Rowland last month. Chavez faces a fine and ban in Nevada.

Chavez (41-0-1, 30 KOs) won a 10-round decision against Rowland in the co-featured bout on the Manny Pacquiao-Miguel Cotto undercard at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. Kizer said the positive results came from Chavez's pre-fight urinalysis.

The commission filed a formal complaint on Tuesday against Chavez. He has 20 days to respond, which will be followed by a hearing at a date to be determined. If Chavez does not respond to the complaint, the commission may reach a decision in his absence.

If the commission upholds the test result, which it usually does, the result of the fight would be changed to a no decision.

According to the complaint, Chavez, 23, faces a suspension of up to nine months and a fine that could equal his entire $100,000 purse, although fighters are typically fined a smaller portion in these cases. In addition, Chavez would be required to provide a negative urine test before he's allowed to fight in Nevada again.

Chavez, a cash cow for promoters Top Rank and Mexico-based Zanfer Promotions, would be barred from fighting in the United States during a suspension. However, it would not prevent him from fighting in Mexico, where he has fought most of his bouts and draws big crowds as the headliner on Top Rank's series of "Latin Fury" pay-per-view cards.

"I think it was an innocent mistake, one that the Nevada commission will have to deal with, as well as Chavez," said Top Rank's Carl Moretti. "I don't think he knew diuretics were banned by the Nevada commission."

EVEN MORE REASON TO HATE THIS BUM. USING JUICE AND STILL TRASH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

does that even qualify as juice?.

he was just trying to piss his liquids out.

Originally Posted by marionthebarberian

Originally Posted by TCERDA

Proshares wrote:

More news:

ESPN.com
Archive

[+] Enlarge

does that even qualify as juice?.

he was just trying to piss his liquids out.
Maybe not.... Still a banned substance and there is no denying hes trash!!! And you know it!

Back
Top Bottom