09 Boxing Thread:: 12/12 Diaz.vs.Malignaggi HBO/Bradley.vs.Peterson Showtime

i scored the fight 114-114 draw.

Williams won the fight, but he lost the war he was seriously hurt, but the fight was very close.

Sergio landed the much harder punches and by the end of the fight you could tell Williams was hurt and Sergio didn't look hurt.

that idiot judge who scored it 119-110 should get his license revoked make boxing look bad with these decisions.

Sergio deserves a rematch.

Originally Posted by ShaunHillFTW49

Originally Posted by h3at23

When did they say Gamboa was fighting?
1/23
But
smh.gif

Are you
smh.gif
because of this fight or you dont like Gamboa ? Gamboa's a stud imo

Gotta say that was FOY material
pimp.gif

Not trying to take shots at MMA but that is simply the type of fight they can't produce. Ebb & Flow, adversity, drama, skill, and versatility. Hats offto both fighters, they showed tremendous heart. I had Sergio winning by 1rd on cleaner punches, but you could also make the case for Punisher.

Fight definitely deserves a rematch @154 for the belt.

Fight coulda gone either way. 119-110 is a damn shame. Pathetic how a judge can seriously score this fight that way.

Next week is gonna be great. Victor needs to prove a point, Kevin gonna get his !#! whooped, and no bias in the rematch (I hope).

God I love boxing.

Who will be attending Vasquez/Marquez 4??? It's at Staples and I will def. be in attendance.

Damn forgot about that was it on Showtime?
Originally Posted by SJSneakerheadIII

Fight coulda gone either way. 119-110 is a damn shame. Pathetic how a judge can seriously score this fight that way.

Next week is gonna be great. Victor needs to prove a point, Kevin gonna get his !#! whooped, and no bias in the rematch (I hope).

God I love boxing.

Who will be attending Vasquez/Marquez 4??? It's at Staples and I will def. be in attendance.

HBO is
pimp.gif
this month

I have no problem with Max K calling out the judges he ALWAYS does that, my main problem with the clown is mid fight you can ALWAYS tell he has started to rootfor one fighter. him and Jim Lampley was all over Sergio tonight

nobody got robbed tonight it was a close fight that could of been called a draw, myself gave it to PW cause of the last 2 rounds but if you listen to the toHBO clowns Serigo won those rounds
eyes.gif

Sergio landed the much harder punches and by the end of the fight you could tell Williams was hurt and Sergio didn't look hurt.
Paul had Serigo dead tired and had his legs weak

Paul needs to start listening to his Mr. Peterson. he knows what he is talking about but paul NEVER listens to dude durning fights.

Whoever beats paul is going to have to damn near collapse out of exhaustion , i would not fight paul for less than 10 mill jeez that was ridicolous. boy sergiowas doin alot of running in the middle rounds

I had it 1 point for Sergio but I would not have been mad at a draw or a Paul win. Excellent fight. Mike, I think Sergio wore down later on because hewasn't accustomed to the weight at 160. I think there will be a rematch at 154. If this fight was as entertaining at a catch weight and with Sergio takingit on only one month notice, imagine a rematch.

Put Khan in the ring with Holt and Holt would KO him in 2 rounds. Maidana might go down a couple times with Khan but I think he'd KO him too. Bradley andPeterson outbox him.
laugh.gif
don't put VICIOUS in there with him though.

paul williams-kirkland in the spring , and demand the top welter wight if he gets the win....mosley,pac,mayweather,berto whoever

Great fight tonight. I would love to see a rematch. I was really surprised with how well Martinez did. I thought the fight could have gone either way. I hadWilliams by 1.
smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif
to the judge who had it 119-110. I swear, I don't understand how these judges score the fights. This is the 2nd week in a row thatthe judges have made a huge mistake. Last week Ali Funeka got robbed on a fight that he should have won.

Originally Posted by ShaunHillFTW49

AAR fan?^

AAR?

And PW will beat Kirkland silly with that weak chin of his and after a stint in the pen. That's a fight where Paul will definitely fight from the outsideand easily win. There's no one at 154 outside of PW, Sergio and Dzindziruk (as much as I like Angulo and Cintron). Matter of fact I'll say those 3could make a good little middleweight tourney w/Kelly along the format of the King tournament in 2000/2001.

BTW:

"I thought my guy one by one point," said Lou DiBella, Martinez's promoter. "I can live with a close loss. I can live with 115-113 or a draw. But I cannot live with a 119-110 incompetent piece of s-- who shouldn't work again as a judge. Is there anyone on earth who actually thinks that great fight was almost a shutout? Please."

Goossen may consider a rematch, but he'd prefer a bigger name for Williams to face.
"It's too soon to talk about what's next but two guys we've been chasing for a year and a half are Shane Mosley and Bernard Hopkins," he said. "Mosley has another fight [on Jan. 30] with Andre Berto. I think we would do great numbers for a Hopkins fight in Washington, D.C. [where Williams trains and spends a lot of time] or here in Atlantic City. It's a great fight and a fight Bernard should take."

What about Pavlik?

"We tried to make the Pavlik fight three times, but you know what happened," said Goossen, noting that Pavlik was well enough to take a Dec. 19 fight with unheralded Miguel Espino. "We'd do it but we would need a safety net in case he pulls out again. And no negotiation this time. It has to be a 50-50 deal or the fight doesn't get made."

147 might be PWill's most devastating weight but I don't think its wise for him to move back down at this stage in his career. He should hang around154-160.

More news:
[h2]Exec: Chavez tested positive for diuretic[/h2]

Comment Email Print By Dan Rafael
ESPN.com
Archive

Middleweight Julio Cesar Chavez Jr., the son of the former three-division champion and Mexican icon, tested positive for a banned substance in conjunction with his Nov. 14 fight against Troy Rowland, according to the Nevada State Athletic Commission.

Executive director Keith Kizer said Saturday that Chavez, who tested positive for Furosemide, a diuretic, faces a fine and suspension.

[+] Enlarge
AP Photo/Mark J. TerrillJulio Cesar Chavez Jr., right, won a 10-round middleweight decision against Troy Rowland last month. Chavez faces a fine and ban in Nevada.

Chavez (41-0-1, 30 KOs) won a 10-round decision against Rowland in the co-featured bout on the Manny Pacquiao-Miguel Cotto undercard at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. Kizer said the positive results came from Chavez's pre-fight urinalysis.

All of the other boxers on the card had negative test results, Kizer said.

The commission filed a formal complaint on Tuesday against Chavez. He has 20 days to respond, which will be followed by a hearing at a date to be determined. If Chavez does not respond to the complaint, the commission may reach a decision in his absence.

If the commission upholds the test result, which it usually does, the result of the fight would be changed to a no decision.

According to the complaint, Chavez, 23, faces a suspension of up to nine months and a fine that could equal his entire $100,000 purse, although fighters are typically fined a smaller portion in these cases. In addition, Chavez would be required to provide a negative urine test before he's allowed to fight in Nevada again.

Chavez, a cash cow for promoters Top Rank and Mexico-based Zanfer Promotions, would be barred from fighting in the United States during a suspension. However, it would not prevent him from fighting in Mexico, where he has fought most of his bouts and draws big crowds as the headliner on Top Rank's series of "Latin Fury" pay-per-view cards.

"I think it was an innocent mistake, one that the Nevada commission will have to deal with, as well as Chavez," said Top Rank's Carl Moretti. "I don't think he knew diuretics were banned by the Nevada commission."

Naazim Richardson before the fight
Highly respected trainer Naazim Richardson, who coaches the likes of Bernard Hopkins, Shane Mosley and Steve Cunningham, is among those who puts more stock in what happened in Quintana-Williams I than what went down in Williams-Quintana II.

"Williams has problems with southpaws," Richardson stated bluntly. "In the second fight, he caught Quintana with something, so there's no proof that he solved that puzzle. He just caught him with a shot early. That can happen anytime, anywhere. So I'm not sure if he actually answered the problems."

"I know Paul Williams loves to fight," Richardson said. "As tall as he is, he loves to fight. He has all the attributes to be a boxer, but he doesn't box that way. It's kind of like what Michael Carbajal was. Carbajal was built to be a boxer, but he just liked to fight too much."

smh.gif
JCC jr... boy was havin problems makin weight i guess

His boxing will only go so far as he moves up from welterweight with fighters that have similar height and reach. His skills won't keep the likes ofPavlik, Bute, Abraham, Froch, Ward or Chad at bay for long in fights. He has one of the best chins in boxing and he should use that to his advantage. Paul haspower and can fight for 12 rounds as he's shown his whole career. I'd take my chances with him brawling and coming out on top against these fighters at154, 160 and 168. I despised him coming up but I've been converted to a fan.

Paul has all the tools to box his way to easy wins but always seems to want to brawl. I just don't understand why he does that!

Highly respected trainer Naazim Richardson, who coaches the likes of Bernard Hopkins, Shane Mosley and Steve Cunningham, is among those who puts more stock in what happened in Quintana-Williams I than what went down in Williams-Quintana II.

"Williams has problems with southpaws," Richardson stated bluntly. "In the second fight, he caught Quintana with something, so there's no proof that he solved that puzzle. He just caught him with a shot early. That can happen anytime, anywhere. So I'm not sure if he actually answered the problems."

"I know Paul Williams loves to fight," Richardson said. "As tall as he is, he loves to fight. He has all the attributes to be a boxer, but he doesn't box that way. It's kind of like what Michael Carbajal was. Carbajal was built to be a boxer, but he just liked to fight too much."
That's pretty much how I felt going into the fight. Here's what I said on here a while ago:
I've liked Williams for a while but he deserved to be criticized after the first Quintana fight. I was amazed at how he was unable to adjust. Too bad the second fight only lasted a round because I would have liked to have seen if he made any improvements in dealing with Quintana's counter punching.

Damn I wish I went to this fight! It looked like it could have gone either way.

The 110-119 scorecard
laugh.gif
They should lock that guy in a room, throw onthe tape and make him explain.

In the 2nd half of the fight Paul started puttin his left hand up and duckin under the Right hand counters. He changed up a bit. And then I think the 9thSergio started that lead left.
For all the output and offense it was a pretty nice strategic fight because both fighters had to change up game plans.

As much as me or Paul fans wanna see him just box from the outside, his willingness to trade and take risks is why I like him so much as a fighter.
He trusts his chin enough to take 1 to land 3.

He need to stop slappin wit that jab and start stingin wit it. From rnds 4-8 he was puttin somethin on that jab and it paid off.

Who's gonna wanna fight Sergio? Cintron? Angulo?

Back
Top Bottom