🦉The Official Drake Thread6️⃣ - Drake & PND Album Fall 2024

QM came along during IYRTTL, and those bars while catchy, were low quality B grade bars.

His lyrics on Comeback season were stronger when it was just Drake and 1da and 40., so the ghost writing thing is not an excuse. Drake CHOSE to roll with these b grade trap Drake, half freestyled bars. he needs get back writing **** down on the blackberyr like the SFG, Take Care days.

He needs to go buy him self a Blackberry off ebay, and get back to really writing and scrutinizing the bars. Because while his pop song writing is getting better his rap stuff is getting worse.

He's in a tough spot, because SFG, Thank Me Later, Take Care, were about the rise, NWTS, IYRTITL, WATTBA, were a victory lap. these are stories narrative fans can identify with easily BUT NOW Drake is in the stage of his career that separates the legends from passing phases.

If you story is no longer relateable how do you connect to the audience?? The awnser can't just be more self confessionals about group texting your ex's. That's fake introspection.
mean.gif
All of this is absolutely spot on.  Repped.

Last edited:
QM came along during IYRTTL, and those bars while catchy, were low quality B grade bars.

His lyrics on Comeback season were stronger when it was just Drake and 1da and 40., so the ghost writing thing is not an excuse. Drake CHOSE to roll with these b grade trap Drake, half freestyled bars. he needs get back writing **** down on the blackberyr like the SFG, Take Care days.

He needs to go buy him self a Blackberry off ebay, and get back to really writing and scrutinizing the bars. Because while his pop song writing is getting better his rap stuff is getting worse.

He's in a tough spot, because SFG, Thank Me Later, Take Care, were about the rise, NWTS, IYRTITL, WATTBA, were a victory lap. these are stories narrative fans can identify with easily BUT NOW Drake is in the stage of his career that separates the legends from passing phases.

If you story is no longer relateable how do you connect to the audience?? The awnser can't just be more self confessionals about group texting your ex's. That's fake introspection. :smh:
He just sold the most he ever sold with his worse project. Those days are long gone.

He just sold the most he ever sold with his worse project. Those days are long gone.

Pretty much, he don't care about being a legend in rap, really with all the accusations that's out the window anyway. These last 3 efforts have been the worst of his career, that's what happens when you realize you've reached the point where you can sing ABCs and sell 700k+ solely b/c of your name and popularity.

Yup. I would of been cool if he said most successful artist under 35 because he is CLEARLY not a rapper. Dude has an ear for music and makes hits. But for us fans since So Far Gone/Comeback Season its a wrap b. None of the DMCB, Free Spirit, Uptown, Successful joints.

Keep the Family Close so damn zesty, Still Here sound like a damn ATL Trap Rap song. Man SMH.

Man him and Abel let me down with they mediocre albums.

Last edited:
also: This is why I said Joe Budden told not as single lie.

This album is FILLED with fake introspection, oversharing that ultimately means nothing. It's emotionally manipulative, but when scrutinized means nothing, that doesn't actually give you insight into Drake as a person. It's like he's lost his connection with an audience and he's STRUGLING to find shortcuts to get it back.

This period separates the wheat from the chaff. How do you connect when you aren't relatable?

Kanye managed to this one through grief, his mother dying, but also by radically pushing his sound forward, and giving real poignant introspection about his own psyche.

Take MBDTF a song like Power; this could have easily been an unrelated Kanye west boast filled track, but Kanye is able to find a way to connect with audience while ruminating on power that they will never experience.

My childlike creativity, purity and honesty
Is honestly being crowded by these grown thoughts
Reality is catching up with me
Taking my inner child, I’m fighting for custody

This is something that all adults experience, hopefulness, creativity get crowded out by demands of adulthood, it can feel like a weight, and at times we yearn for the purity and uncomplicated honesty of childhood. (also the genius move of wrapping this in a metaphor about divorc;, a moment many young children remember as shattering their idealized of their family and forcing them to grow up earlier than they would want to, further embeds the theme of yearning for uncomplicated childhood)

So a song that could have easily just been about "I'm Kanye, Im a genius, Im so influential", it becomes about all of us, a power we all deal with the power that comes with age and expirence can also be a prison.

Drake is failing to make his experience our experience. "Turn the 6 upside down is a 9 now" (never mind the fact that it's a wack ln)

So you'll die for the six?, so you put the 6 on the map? Okay, we knew that Drake, but how do you actually FEEL about that fact? how are we the audience supposed to FEEL about that? How does this connect to our on lives? He fails to answer those questions, that's why Power, tranceds time and 9 and many of the songs on VIEWS will fade away.

Drake's gotta go back to the lab and start asking himself deeper questions. Dude is 30. No excuses.

Last edited:
Pretty much, he don't care about being a legend in rap, really with all the accusations that's out the window anyway. These last 3 efforts have been the worst of his career, that's what happens when you realize you've reached the point where you can sing ABCs and sell 700k+ solely b/c of your name and popularity.

:lol: doesnt drake have a track with Lil wayne where wayne raps the ABC's? [emoji]129300[/emoji]

Album straight garbage.

Somebody flush this[emoji]128169[/emoji][emoji]128169[/emoji][emoji]128701[/emoji][emoji]128701[/emoji]

Kendrick has Section .80 (I count it, you don't have to), Good Kid, M.A.A.D. City, and To Pimp A Butterfly under his belt. J Cole has Born Sinner. Cole needs to do something on his next album, he's falling behind.

You spelled 2014 Forest Hills Drive & Friday Night Lights wrong for J Cole...

guess he's got a whole another fanbase to cater to now, his old fans are now left in the dark. he's got no choice though right? he's got corportations like Apple rooting for him, they need him to crossover to the pop realm.

Last edited:
Can't blame drake. Look at pitbull and flo rida they started off rapping now they making bread off corny music.

I gave ASAP Ferg album a spin last night and I think it's a way better project than Views. Haven't heard anyone talk about it though, Drake got the Juice right now in terms of fan power

Can't blame drake. Look at pitbull and flo rida they started off rapping now they making bread off corny music.

Very true, but no one was looking at Pitbull and Flo-Rida in high regard anyway. Pitiful switched his style up to what he does today, but Flo-Rida basically came out the gate with that style :lol:

I gave ASAP Ferg album a spin last night and I think it's a way better project than Views. Haven't heard anyone talk about it though, Drake got the Juice right now in terms of fan power

I don't think that's saying much. I listened to Ferg's a couple days ago and he led off with 3 of the most embarrassing rap songs I've ever heard. I almost didn't even want to finish the rest of the album because of that, but even when I did finish, it was mostly a mess, a complete change (for the worse) from his debut album

Honestly Drake probably doesn't care.

He's about to hop over to Hollywood and do the same thing he did in music. He's gonna be the next Will Smith.

Exactly, dude is putting himself in a box in terms of creativity.

Letting this album marinate for a bit. I get the underwhelmed response many have for it and comments on how he hasn't evolved are spot on.

My worry with this project is that he and his team will chalk it up to high expectations due to people knowing the album is dropping soon and etc... instead of seeing the true flaws of the project. Anticipation plays a major part in the reception of an album. This project fell short.

Also with the QM and ghostwriting allegations, no reason for dude not to come with heavy bars.

But this is the main problem and for some reason the elephant in the room. Why is it not obvious to people that this dude
hasn't been writing his own material from day one?? Look at the drop off in lyrical structure even from NWTS, its a HUGE
drop in bars. Similar to Kayne with most of his past projects besides 808's which didn't have bars at all.

Meek was completely right! This dude doesn't write his own material and the spotlight from the QM allegations
put a stop to it for now. I'm really puzzled by the 40 production also on the album. I would have thought he would
have came with some "Blueprint" type of beats where Drake could officially claim hip-hop his.

Last edited:

This album is FILLED with fake introspection, oversharing that ultimately means nothing. It's emotionally manipulative, but when scrutinized means nothing, that doesn't actually give you insight into Drake as a person. It's like he's lost his connection with an audience and he's STRUGLING to find shortcuts to get it back.

This period separates the wheat from the chaff. How do you connect when you aren't relatable?

Kanye managed to this one through grief, his mother dying, but also by radically pushing his sound forward, and giving real poignant introspection about his own psyche.

Take MBDTF a song like Power; this could have easily been an unrelated Kanye west boast filled track, but Kanye is able to find a way to connect with audience while ruminating on power that they will never experience.

This is something that all adults experience, hopefulness, creativity get crowded out by demands of adulthood, it can feel like a weight, and at times we yearn for the purity and uncomplicated honesty of childhood. (also the genius move of wrapping this in a metaphor about divorc;, a moment many young children remember as shattering their idealized of their family and forcing them to grow up earlier than they would want to, further embeds the theme of yearning for uncomplicated childhood)

So a song that could have easily just been about "I'm Kanye, Im a genius, Im so influential", it becomes about all of us, a power we all deal with the power that comes with age and expirence can also be a prison.

Drake is failing to make his experience our experience. "Turn the 6 upside down is a 9 now" (never mind the fact that it's a wack ln)

So you'll die for the six?, so you put the 6 on the map? Okay, we knew that Drake, but how do you actually FEEL about that fact? how are we the audience supposed to FEEL about that? How does this connect to our on lives? He fails to answer those questions, that's why Power, tranceds time and 9 and many of the songs on VIEWS will fade away.

Drake's gotta go back to the lab and start asking himself deeper questions. Dude is 30. No excuses.
I agree with all this, but did Power really do any of this. That was just one small portion of the song. The song was filled with typical rap lines and some corny things too. Maybe I'm not giving that song enough credit, but I didn't think it was this introspective piece.

Overall, I agree with everything, but I don't get why you expect Drake to do all this. Maybe, you are expecting too much out of him. When has he ever been what you're describing?

I enjoyed this new album, but maybe because I didn't go in expecting anything. It had a Take Care vibe, which I enjoyed (Maybe this is what people are complaining about? He's still the same after all these years?). He atleast tried something new with the whole dancehall thing too.

But I do hope the guy pushes the envelope soon, but I'm not holding my breathe. He is what he is. 

Last edited:

While I agree with this the issue is...

Drake has been this way since SFG :lol: y'all should have been mad about the shallow content then. He is who he is, and he's been this way from jump basically.

I dont know how you dont have a problem with the content on SFG but have a problem with it on Views.

My only guess is that the lack of development that you assumed he would show hasnt surfaced?

I enjoy views for what it is.

Osh and others are a bit dissapointed because Drake didnt push the envelope, which he didnt. But its yall fault for grouping him with Cole and Kendrick. Drake has always been this shallow guy that makes heartless, emotionally manipulative music. He's 30. He been this way since SFG.

Like I said before the album dropped, he's like 6, 7 albums in man. To expect a radical paradigm like shift in his music at this point is naive. He is who he is.

Maybe he isnt what you want him to be. That transcendent rapper that pushes the envelope and dives deeper than arguing with women at the cheesecake factory and group me'ing his ex's. And thats okay too.

Drake has rapping and singing.

People hated Wayne when he started playing guitar hero and skating

Yeezus was experimental and people weren't having it

Kid Cudi .... I don't even want to bring that up

TPAB....

I'd rather him bring out another Rap album in the near future, Than switch the style with some type of country electronic mixture and call it "Pushing the limits" or turn into a revolutionary freedom fighter

Like bruh! This isn't you!

We want that old Drake

I enjoyed Views

Solid 6.5/10

If youre reading this its to late

8/10

Last edited:
You're so predictable I hate people like you
Kennedy Road taught me not to trust people like you
How you supposed to figure out what I'm going through
You can't even figure out what's going on with you

Drake has never had any real content but the problem is the drop in quality. Even compared to NWTS it's a bad album. Paris Morton, Tuscan Leather, Connect are way better than any song on here.

Last edited:
While I agree with this the issue is...

Drake has been this way since SFG :lol: y'all should have been mad about the shallow content then. He is who he is, and he's been this way from jump basically.

I dont know how you dont have a problem with the content on SFG but have a problem with it on Views.

My only guess is that the lack of development that you assumed he would show hasnt surfaced?

I don't agree that So Far Gone is shallow.

I don't want to sit here an post another wall of text analyzing So Far Gone lyrics...but I'll repeat what I said before, So Far Gone is about the rise, it's "The Hero's journey" it's content is inherently compelling to audiences and it feels way more authentic and easier to connect with.

The imagery, the story is just way way stronger on So Far Gone, thematically way stronger.

not to mention that sonically it helped to define a style of music that people try to ape to this day.

and some of this is a taste thing, because I don't really understand how people believe J Cole is Drake/Kendrick level talent, I don't see it, and I've never seen it, but that's me. and I really enjoy J Cole.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom