⚽️The Footy Thread: Lock Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
maxresdefault.jpg

:nerd:

like.Barcelona was only a step away from being rubbish.
rubbish? we don't win the league once and now we are one step away from being rubbish.
we lost the league by 3 pts last year to a "dynasty " talent at madrid...and we did wash them at the bernabeau (without neymar).

i would think being 20 pts down from the top would be rubbish tbh
yall are just a little better than arshambles right now.
and this isn't even bantz. this is exactly what it is. while you out here talking about what could've been or what might be.

Has anyone mentioned just how bad Van Dijk has looked the last 4-5 months? He looked really bad against Liverpool back in November. It would be interesting to see if he can far better than Dejan Lovren did coming over from Southampton playing a high line that results in a lot of isolated one on one defending.

Has anyone mentioned just how bad Van Dijk has looked the last 4-5 months? He looked really bad against Liverpool back in November. It would be interesting to see if he can far better than Dejan Lovren did coming over from Southampton playing a high line that results in a lot of isolated one on one defending.

VVD is a fraud when he’s one on one.

Can Gomez play CB? I don't watch Liverpool that often but I kinda remember him playing there...

If so, that would be the ideal pairing with Van Dijk... I guess the idea is to have Keita play the defensive mid in front of the defense...

:smh: Rumors of Di Maria to Barca for €60 mill... He would do well at the club but that price? Also the club should be buying younger players... Hope this is just a bad transfer rumor... Ozil's name is popping up again.... Lort have mercy... :sick::smh::angry:

Last edited:
I don't really get it, Man City doesn't seem to have way more talent than the other EPL squads.

Is Pep just that far ahead tactically than the other managers? I didn't even realize soccer coaches could have that big of an impact. has Pep discovered some market inefficiency that the other EPL teams haven't?

I don't understand, someone explain it to me.

I don't really get it, Man City doesn't seem to have way more talent than the other EPL squads.

Is Pep just that far ahead tactically than the other managers? I didn't even realize soccer coaches could have that big of an impact. has Pep discovered some market inefficiency that the other EPL teams haven't?

GOAT coach of all time.

they have the best collective of attacking players, a game plan, speed, skills, and whole lotta players in their prime or near it.

No team can bring out KDB, Silva, Kun, Sterling, Sane, Jesus, Gun, Bernardo, not to mention the help they get from their backline starting with the Keeper

Its a combination of a good manager a deep talented squad. City Bench is prolly as good if not better then most teams in the league

*long reply incoming*
Coaches can/do have a huge impact in this sport just like any other. And when Pep has a 11 that can do what he sets them out to do we see the results of that like this year so far. It takes very talented players and very talented coaching

The core of what he wants is all players including the keeper being comfortable on the ball (essentially meaning not someone that panics and is able to make a play). If you have a 11 that can do this it gives you a ton of options in what you can do tactically preparing for any team you can face because you have players capable of doing many things. Its position-less in a sense and it allows you to make tactical changes throughout the match without making subs even at times to try to attack opponents in different ways. These are a couple ways i've noticed how its manifested in City's play since Pep took over.

Sterling for example is traditional a winger but he is comfortable picking the ball up in the middle playing behind a striker etc. So he is in his traditional position when bringing the ball up the field but once city passes the half way line you can notice alot of movement start to take place (some have more license to than others like Silva, KDB, Sterling and Jesus when he plays) and once they get to the final 3rd they have free reign to let their creativity shine to find a way to open up the defense. The constant movement once City has a team pinned into their box can cause a lot of trouble for defenses cause one moment you could be defending with Aguero in front of you then after a few passes all of a sudden Aguero has gone out wide to create space for his teammates to run into and now Sterling or KDB is running at you or past you down the middle.

Fullbacks are also very important to this and why we couldn't play this well last year is because the fullbacks we had where old not very versatile anymore and their ability started to decline unfortunately. But guys like Walker and Mendy (when he's able to play) have the ability to give you the width to stretch the pitch that traditional wingers can. So if you are able to get width the level a winger can provide from a fullback that gives your versatile wingers more room to go into the or the edge of the box to help create space for the strikers cause now the defenders on the opposing team have more bodies to deal with. Thats how we would play if Mendy wasn't injured and we would lay with a back 3 as well.

Since Mendy is injured instead of fullbacks creating the width Walker and Delph instead play as inverted fullbacks which means in possession depending on how the ball is moving one of them will drop into midfield with Fernandinho to help keep control of the ball and find passing lanes through the middle to either Sterling/KDB or Silva. But the team still needs width and since the fullbacks can't provide that when we play with inverted fullbacks Sane plays wide on the left and Sterling and KDB switch playing wide on the right throughout the match. KDB is capable of this because even though he is a midfielder he has the best passing range of anyone on the team and he has played winger before for previous clubs so he knows how to play wide, that goes back to the position-less players capable of doing many things Pep values as mentioned earlier.

This video with Henry one of the best and most talented strikers we've seen in modern times explaining some of it from when he used to play for him at Barca

In this video KDB did this year explains some of it and his role

In both vids youll notice both players mention how everyone is where they are supposed to be bringing the ball up field no one coming over calling for the ball because they can all trust each other on the ball cause they are all capable of picking a great pass. And thats needed to make space. You also hear both mentions stayin in your position till you get to the final 3rd then you have freedom to do what you want. These are just the base principles but also like Kevin said it changes slightly everygame depending on who we are playing against.

Sorry for the long response but this is the kinda stuff I love talking about with the sport

Last edited:
Can Gomez play CB? I don't watch Liverpool that often but I kinda remember him playing there...

If so, that would be the ideal pairing with Van Dijk... I guess the idea is to have Keita play the defensive mid in front of the defense..

I prefer Gomez, but VVD could also play alongside Matip. So long as Lovren never sees the field again, I'm good.

*long reply incoming*
Coaches can/do have a huge impact in this sport just like any other. And when Pep has a 11 that can do what he sets them out to do we see the results of that like this year so far. It takes very talented players and very talented coaching

The core of what he wants is all players including the keeper being comfortable on the ball (essentially meaning not someone that panics and is able to make a play). If you have a 11 that can do this it gives you a ton of options in what you can do tactically preparing for any team you can face because you have players capable of doing many things. Its position-less in a sense and it allows you to make tactical changes throughout the match without making subs even at times to try to attack opponents in different ways. These are a couple ways i've noticed how its manifested in City's play since Pep took over.

Sterling for example is traditional a winger but he is comfortable picking the ball up in the middle playing behind a striker etc. So he is in his traditional position when bringing the ball up the field but once city passes the half way line you can notice alot of movement start to take place (some have more license to than others like Silva, KDB, Sterling and Jesus when he plays) and once they get to the final 3rd they have free reign to let their creativity shine to find a way to open up the defense. The constant movement once City has a team pinned into their box can cause a lot of trouble for defenses cause one moment you could be defending with Aguero in front of you then after a few passes all of a sudden Aguero has gone out wide to create space for his teammates to run into and now Sterling or KDB is running at you or past you down the middle.

Fullbacks are also very important to this and why we couldn't play this well last year is because the fullbacks we had where old not very versatile anymore and their ability started to decline unfortunately. But guys like Walker and Mendy (when he's able to play) have the ability to give you the width to stretch the pitch that traditional wingers can. So if you are able to get width the level a winger can provide from a fullback that gives your versatile wingers more room to go into the or the edge of the box to help create space for the strikers cause now the defenders on the opposing team have more bodies to deal with. Thats how we would play if Mendy wasn't injured and we would lay with a back 3 as well.

Since Mendy is injured instead of fullbacks creating the width Walker and Delph instead play as inverted fullbacks which means in possession depending on how the ball is moving one of them will drop into midfield with Fernandinho to help keep control of the ball and find passing lanes through the middle to either Sterling/KDB or Silva. But the team still needs width and since the fullbacks can't provide that when we play with inverted fullbacks Sane plays wide on the left and Sterling and KDB switch playing wide on the right throughout the match. KDB is capable of this because even though he is a midfielder he has the best passing range of anyone on the team and he has played winger before for previous clubs so he knows how to play wide, that goes back to the position-less players capable of doing many things Pep values as mentioned earlier.

This video with Henry one of the best and most talented strikers we've seen in modern times explaining some of it from when he used to play for him at Barca

In this video KDB did this year explains some of it and his role

In both vids youll notice both players mention how everyone is where they are supposed to be bringing the ball up field no one coming over calling for the ball because they can all trust each other on the ball cause they are all capable of picking a great pass. And thats needed to make space. You also hear both mentions stayin in your position till you get to the final 3rd then you have freedom to do what you want. These are just the base principles but also like Kevin said it changes slightly everygame depending on who we are playing against.

Sorry for the long response but this is the kinda stuff I love talking about with the sport

Blah, blah, BLAH

I'm just here for hot takes and writing players' names in caps when they score :pimp:

osh kosh bosh osh kosh bosh take a look at City, Chelsea, United, Liverpool, Spurs, and Arsenal's rosters side by side.

Then come back and tell us whether you still believe that City isn't more talented than the rest of the league.

Between PSG and City, this might finally be the year that Arab oil brings home a CL title, and disrupts the club models of Barca, RM, and in part Bayern winning the last 5

Between those two, I'd put my money on City.

PSG still has that inferiority complex. I expect RM to eliminate them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom