⚽️The Footy Thread: Lock Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is "Bantz"?

Is this some obscure internet terminology you've picked up after 8 years of frequenting a message board?
Yet you're still on this same message board seeking approval from strangers on the interwebz hoping to fit in and failing in every thread you go into. Didn't someone just point you out for the same foolery in the politics thread and you're back in here at it again ? The mods are on vacation or something? Mans littering the whole place.

Ghetto isn't a racist word, even though you're trying your best to make it one. You're taking a narrow american centric view on it.

So what dictionary are your using?
Why were you apologizing and tap dancing then earlier? That means you weren't sincere then? The fact that you just don't get it is crazy. I noticed your critical nature towards certain players whom were of the same race back ground but chalked it up as nothing. However, today you've confirmed it.

Out of context? :lol:

Eddie said that United placed 2nd in the 2017-2018 Premier league season, which is a fact.

You post the 2016-2017 PL table, clearly being unable to read, only furthering your inability to put together a sound rebuttal

Clown ****

I looked up the table and was looking at the wrong one.

You're so eager to be right LOL!.

Calm down. I admitted I misread.

Ghetto isn't a racist word, even though you're trying your best to make it one. You're taking a narrow american centric view on it.

So what dictionary are your using?

It's not an overtly racist word, but it's definitely a coded way to express conscious/subconscious racist or ignorant feelings. For example, white newcomers often use that term here in the Bay Area to describe the heavily minority areas they look down on (even though many of the people in those areas live in $1 mil+ homes while the white people rent overpriced slums) "Oh Oakland? San Jose? That's so ghetto, I would never leave SF for that!!" Because of the large black/Mexican/Vietnamese etc. communities in those cities. Anyone in his or her right mind would never call those places ghetto unless there's some type of strong internal feeling against the people that live there.

France showed out, I certainly wish that Dembele would have been on the field, Giroud was just a waste man. Lacazette(should have been called up) would have most certainly done better imo. Regardless, Pogba putting respect on his name, and I'm so happy for Kante, seems like a really humble man, and considering where he's come from to what he has become, it's a true success story and it couldn't happen to a better person.

As far as the nonsense going on in this thread, incredible. First, QU!K QU!K how dare you try to justify your subconscious remark into what has now turned into you showing your true colors. All bantz and arguments aside, it was very classless to use the term ghetto, considering the subconscious institutionalized racist undertone it possess. Currently, it's disgusting to see you trying now to back track on your comment, claiming what you should look for in a dictionary, stop playing stupid to undermine that you slipped up and let out how you really feel. Is this why you argue most with people of color in this thread? Receipts can and will be pulled on you, it's disgusting and miserable to actually see the context in which you used that term, and how it appears that you're defending yourself for that now.

As for Kinfolk Kinfolk it's clear he's just trying to stir up issues with the many fallacies in his arguments and he's only using the one's that support his argument, stop it, we know what you're doing. I'd rather Bruce Lee quotes from @flyeed

Why were you apologizing and tap dancing then earlier? That means you weren't sincere then? The fact that you just don't get it is crazy. I noticed your critical nature towards certain players whom were of the same race back ground but chalked it up as nothing. However, today you've confirmed it.
I was apologizing for the way you interpreted as being racist. Not for the way which I was using it. I was using it as synonym for poor.

What are you talking about I'm critical towards certain players of the same background? You can't just make up things and make sweeping accusations. There's people in this thread that see me post often as you do.

Is the word 'ghetto' racist?
By Vanessa BarfordBBC News, Washington DC
Film director Quentin Tarantino came under fire for using the word "ghetto" at the Golden Globes earlier this week. Why is this word sometimes considered offensive?

It caused an instant reaction on social media.

Accepting the award for Best Original Score on behalf of The Hateful Eight composer Ennio Morricone, Tarantino said: "Ennio Morricone... is my favourite composer - and when I say favourite composer, I don't mean movie composer - that ghetto. I'm talking about Mozart, I'm talking about Beethoven, I'm talking about Schubert. That's who I'm talking about."

When Tarantino left the stage, the actor and singer, Jamie Foxx, who had announced the award, returned to the microphone and repeated the word "ghetto".

"Jamie Foxx just simply and effectively called out Quentin Tarantino for using the racist term 'ghetto.' Well done. #GoldenGlobes" tweeted Broadway concert producer Jamie McGonnigal.

"Tarantino will regret the 'ghetto' comment when the alcohol wears off. #GoldenGlobes," wrote Monica Watson in another tweet.

To many non-Americans it may have been hard to grasp exactly what the problem was. Tarantino had belittled the art of composing for the cinema, but what had he said that was racist?

According to the Oxford English Dictionary (OED), the word was first used in 1611 to describe a quarter in a city, chiefly in Italy, to which the Jews were restricted. (One theory is that it is derived from the Italian "borghetto", meaning a little borough, or from "getto", a foundry, as an early Jewish ghetto in Venice was created on the site of a former foundry.)

When 'ghetto' is used as an insult, it often sounds like a racial insult
Mario Small, Harvard University

Another OED definition shows the word later acquired a broader meaning: "A quarter in a city, esp. thickly populated slum area, inhabited by a minority group or groups, usually as a result of economic or social pressures; an area, etc., occupied by an isolated group; an isolated or segregated group, community, or area."

In the US, the word started to be used to describe predominantly African American neighbourhoods - especially the densely populated areas that resulted from the mass migration of American blacks from southern states to northern cities - at some point in the 20th Century, according to Mario Small, a professor of sociology at Harvard University.

Then in the 1960s and 1970s, according to David Brown, a professor of linguistics at the University of Michigan "it takes on a very pejorative sense to do with race, poverty, social-economic status, and neighbourhoods that are run-down".

And a few decades later it is being used as a modifier. Brown cites the 1996 book Sckraight From The Ghetto, by Bertice Berry and Joan Coker, which says you know you're "ghetto" if "your weave is longer than your torso" or you "think turning up the heat means turning on another burner on the stove" - and a 1998 song, So Ghetto, by Jay Z.

"It is still largely pejorative, though the Jay Z song is more subversive," he says.

Today the word is fairly widespread in the US, particularly with young people, meaning something like "poor and urban, cheap, substandard", according to linguistic anthropologist George Broadwell at the University of Florida.

A Saturday Night Live sketch last year satirised four women oversharing aspects of their lives which are "so ghetto".

"I went out for drinks with a guy and he literally asked me to split the bill, that's so ghetto," says one. "I took an Uber X here and for the first time my driver picked me up in a busted-**** Toyota, and literally his wife was in the front seat. It was the worst - so ghetto," says another.

Like many things that touch on issues of race in America, the implications of the word are charged and contested
David Brown, University of Michigan

The word is "often used pejoratively to describe low-income African Americans, or their presumed forms of behaviour, dress, and speech," says Small.

"Some also use it more generically to describe people or attitudes they believe to be unsophisticated.

"However, some people use it self-referentially in a defiantly positive way, such as some uses of the term 'ghetto fab'."

The word's possible racist connotations are complicated and depend on the speaker and context, Broadwell argues.

"When used by African Americans to other African Americans it is generally a description of class, with an implication of being poor, possibly on government assistance, and possibly living in public housing. When used by people who are not African-American, the word is far more likely to be perceived as offensive," he says.

"The problem with the word is that it's very difficult to disassociate it from its use to characterise low-income African Americans, says Small. "Thus, when 'ghetto' is used as an insult, it often sounds like a racial insult," he says.

So as some listeners would see it, Tarantino did not just dismiss film music as a minor sideshow compared with the art of major composers such as Mozart and Beethoven, his use of the word "ghetto" also betrayed a prejudiced attitude to poor African-American people.

Even with that quick statement, the director insinuated the ghetto was not a place for white, European, male composers, even if he didn't mean to, says Khadijah White, a professor of race, gender and politics in the media at Rutgers University.

And yet, at the same time, the use of the word is now widespread in the US to describe something inferior.

"The word's use is becoming more generic - it's losing any ethnic association," says Brown.

"But like many things that touch on issues of race in America, the implications of the word are charged and contested."

honest question here: I get that the WC might possibly be the biggest sports spectacle known to human but is there a reason why football doesn't receive anywhere near as much fanfare or attention when many of these same teams/players compete in the olympics?

in any case, i wish france had let my dude benzema on the squad. that man was the goods in 2014

honest question here: I get that the WC might possibly be the biggest sports spectacle known to human but is there a reason why football doesn't receive anywhere near as much fanfare or attention when many of these same teams/players compete in the olympics?
Olympics are now u-23 teams now, the the exception of 3 players over the age limit in each squad. Quality is not the same. It was pretty hype in 2016 though, with Brazil beating Germany, of course not as big as the World Cup though.

Olympics are now u-23 teams now, the the exception of 3 players over the age limit in each squad. Quality is not the same. It was pretty hype in 2016 though, with Brazil beating Germany, of course not as big as the World Cup though.

To add onto this, it was an amateur event for most the games history, similar to boxing. Pros weren't allowed to compete in any capacity until relatively recently.

I think amateurism in Olympic soccer is more or less what birthed the World Cup way back when.

To add onto this, it was an amateur event for most the games history, similar to boxing. Pros weren't allowed to compete in any capacity until relatively recently.

I think amateurism in Olympic soccer is more or less what birthed the World Cup way back when.

IIRC, Uruguay has 2 Olympic championships. Back before the World Cup was a thing. Which is why they have 4 stars on their jerseys. Just wanted to share, not debating or anything of the sort.

Benzema was never going to see time on the NT after he was implicated in the blackmailing case of fellow Les Bleus teammate Mathieu Valbuena.

Benz & his childhood friends had a tape of Valbuena having sex with his girlfriend & attempted to extort money from him. He rightly will never see time on the NT again. It’s at that time he seemed to have lost his overall mojo & his form severely dipped with Madrid...

my g, you gotta stop trying to defend what you said and just accept that you insulted and offended people in this thread. apologize and move on. even if you said it flippantly and meant no harm, the reality is the term is still used in the states to discriminate against and stigmatize people of color. you may not live in the US, which may give the term a different connotation to you, but stop trying to convince people of color that they shouldn't be offended by the term "ghetto," that's the typical microaggression white folk been using to discredit anyone who states that racism exists.

my g, you gotta stop trying to defend what you said and just accept that you insulted and offended people in this thread. apologize and move on. even if you said it flippantly and meant no harm, the reality is the term is still used in the states to discriminate against and stigmatize people of color. you may not live in the US, which may give the term a different connotation to you, but stop trying to convince people of color that they shouldn't be offended by the term "ghetto," that's the typical microaggression white folk been using to discredit anyone who states that racism exists.
I actually think he did :lol:

Hopefully now that you've read this article, you understand why it was an insensitive term to use - especially when directed at a Black man.

Different people have different opinions, but many of us regard the word in this context:
"The problem with the word is that it's very difficult to disassociate it from its use to characterise low-income African Americans, says Small. "Thus, when 'ghetto' is used as an insult, it often sounds like a racial insult," he says.

Now that you know how the word is often perceived, I trust that you'll cease using it in that way on our forums.

To do otherwise would be to say, in effect, "I now know this is racially offensive and insist on using it anyway," and it would be impossible to regard that usage as anything other than malicious.

Thanks to everyone who reported the inappropriate conduct in the thread today.

Benzema was never going to see time on the NT after he was implicated in the blackmailing case of fellow Les Bleus teammate Mathieu Valbuena.

Benz & his childhood friends had a tape of Valbuena having sex with his girlfriend & attempted to extort money from him. He rightly will never see time on the NT again. It’s at that time he seemed to have lost his overall mojo & his form severely dipped with Madrid...

i was reading up on the valbuena/benzema scandal. **** is wild...with the way benzema is still salty about it 3 years later and still not ****in with val, it makes me question his involvement with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom