⚽️THE FOOTY THREAD: Leicester v City, Lyon v Brest, Troyes v PSG, Sandhausen v Leipzig, Wiesbaden v BVB

Status
Not open for further replies.
First time a Pep side has conceded 5 gols. City was thinking 2-0 off the KDB to Rodri set piece, but life comes at you fast. Kyle Walker with the most nonchalant penalty ever conceded, didn't even react or protest. Caught on the wrong side of Vardy.

That ball Tielemans played to Castagne was :emoji_fire:. Led to Vardy's cheeky second. Garcia was pretty good in the first half, but more of the same (as Walker) on City's second pen conceded. Absolutely no need to foul Vardy in the box with Ake helping to cover. For Leicester's fourth, how did Garcia allow Madders to get that wonderful shot off?

Armada Armada and City supporters, please enlighten me. Doesn't make sense for Pep to spend so much in defence just to end up playing a double pivot with Rodri and Fernandinho. Seeming miscommunication because the latter didn't seem to know what Guardiola expected from him today.

Shocking mistake on the ball from Thiago Silva vs. West Brom. Reece James didn't help matters either. Rest of Chelsea's defence pushed up to the six on set piece and Reece sloppily or lazily plays West Brom on.

1601286870495.png

1601286881867.png

1601286893603.png

1601286906071.png

We beat an Ibra led PSG team in the quarter finals because of a KDB masterclass in the QFs that year my guy. We even topped the Group of Death that year. Semi finals was 0-0 heading into the Bernabeu. An away goal would of set us up to advance to the Finals. The only luck we had was Ronaldo missing the 1st leg and Aguero almost cashed in a late rocket over the crossbar in the final minutes.

But to move forward, you gotta go backwards. Its not so different that what it already is. I mean we lost to Leicester City 5-2. We lost to Manchester United twice last year and relegated Norwich City. Idk how worse it can get.

While all that is true the league campaign is more indicative of how good a team really is and that year we only finished 4th on 66 points and by goal difference. We legit weren't that good that season and that UCL semi final run was more indicative of a team that made plays in a handful of big games than a team that was actually that good which we weren't that year.

And trust it can get a lot worst :lol: yea we had two embarrassing losses to united and went out the the UCL looking goofy and lost 5-2 yesterday but we aren't that far removed from dominant league campaigns back 2 back, finished 2nd last year a million points off yea but also comfortably 2nd and picked up a trophy. It can get a lot worse especially in a league where there's 3 to now 5 other clubs outside the top 4 capable every season of finishing anywhere from 2 to 4 if we go backwards for a few years. A couple years going backwards in the Premier league can be a bit more costly than other leagues. It could means not competing in UCL and stuck in Europa League hell like United had been experiencing off and on for years and like Arsenal currently. If we where in a league where being a competitive club means your finishing minimum 3rd no matter what every single year if you go backwards or not sure but it could easily be more costly to take that risk like that in the premier league just because there's legit 8 to 9 clubs that any year you could make an argument they can compete for top 4.

Last edited:
First time a Pep side has conceded 5 gols. City was thinking 2-0 off the KDB to Rodri set piece, but life comes at you fast. Kyle Walker with the most nonchalant penalty ever conceded, didn't even react or protest. Caught on the wrong side of Vardy.

That ball Tielemans played to Castagne was :emoji_fire:. Led to Vardy's cheeky second. Garcia was pretty good in the first half, but more of the same (as Walker) on City's second pen conceded. Absolutely no need to foul Vardy in the box with Ake helping to cover. For Leicester's fourth, how did Garcia allow Madders to get that wonderful shot off?

Armada Armada and City supporters, please enlighten me. Doesn't make sense for Pep to spend so much in defence just to end up playing a double pivot with Rodri and Fernandinho. Seeming miscommunication because the latter didn't seem to know what Guardiola expected from him today.

Shocking mistake on the ball from Thiago Silva vs. West Brom. Reece James didn't help matters either. Rest of Chelsea's defence pushed up to the six on set piece and Reece sloppily or lazily plays West Brom on.
I think the double pivot right now is more a reaction to the injuries and guys having been out for Covid reasons right now to start the season, that and going into the season with a lack of trust in Stones Lead to feeling we needed that extra protection. It makes sense. Also I don’t wanna give the players the excuse of miscommunication from not knowing what Pep wanted, these dudes have said before they have been drilled to know how to play multiple systems including double pivot and including false 9 and have put in great performances playing that way before under Pep so I don’t think it’s as simple as switching it up which lead to confusion. They seemed to perfectly known in that great first half performance against wolves last week playing a double pivot what Pep wanted they’ve shown they are not only capable of playing that way but playing that way against good competition which Wolves are. Second half last week I would say was more tiredness because of lack of pre season going straight into a match against a team like wolves they would grow into the game. But the point is I’ve seen them play great under Pep in different set ups before if a loss occurs the first thing I’m gonna blame won’t be the tactical set up but look at the individual performances and the team selection before first cause I know and they themselves know and have shown they are capable of playing great in multiple tactical set ups.
When the squad is closer to being fully fit again and Dias is bedded into the squad I think that will solve some issues. I haven’t been able to fully watch the game yet but judging of what people are saying Garcia mind is on Barcelona and his play showed that, he wouldn’t have started yesterday if not for Stones untimely injury. And Mendy my guy but I wouldn’t be surprised that we will start to see a bit more of Ake at leftback once Laporte is match fit again after his COVID stint.

i don’t know what our best 11 is mainly cause of Foden, Bernardo and Mahrez all having legit claims of being in the best 11 and all 3 can play RW and two can play CM so always one of them will have to be rotated this year, will come down to who’s the most in form at the time. But I can see our best backline soon ending up being Ake Laporte Dias Walker. Think the solo CDM with two 8s in front will return a lot sooner than once that backline is on it if not before that

Last edited:
Just caught up on the games so was avoiding this thread.

That United game was infuriating. Glad we got the 3 points, but man that was a pathetic performance and we got insanely lucky. Only thing that cheered me up was seeing City get battered by Leicester. More than you believe :lol:

man what are these multiple walls of texts about man city?

1601300010461.gif
After seeing his post match interview, I wonder if anyone else is thinking this might be his last season there...

He looked more tired and resigned after getting destroyed by Leicester when in the past he would've been visibly fuming and trying to hide his anger :lol:

Might be looking into things too much but I'd be surprised if he extended/renewed at this stage. Would've been a different story had Messi been able to join but from the outside looking in, he kinda looks ready to check out sooner rather than later to me.

Yeah 100%. Our board is very cheap and never wants to spend to give us depth. The problem with signing a backup striker is they legit will never play so it's hard to get anybody at all. Today was Lewa's first match not starting due to rest in the bundesliga in 2 years. The only other times he hasn't started in that period was due to injury/suspension and that is very rare as well. We definitely need a RB, CDM, and winger at bare minimum going into the rest of this year and I don't know who we can realistically get of quality and at a good price with 7 days left in the window. Really embarassing from the board especially with flick begging for signings for weeks now.

Cuisance isnt injured so I'm assuming it's an attitude thing with him. Was a big knock when we signed him from Gladbach and everyone has noticed it even with us. He throws a fit any time he doesn't get to play or get subbed on. Threw his boots and yelled at the manager in the 2nd leg of CL vs chelsea because javi martinez was put on in what might've been his last match ever at the allianz arena. Not sure what to make of what's going on with him. He should've known he wouldn't get regular game time after forcing a move to bayern

I hear you. It's just a long time not to be rested, feels like it could catch up to Lewa. I hope not though. But you're right, not too many good quality strikers that would be okay with spending so much time on the bench. I guess the club is gonna have to stick to youth players and Muller or Serge at ST when needed. But your board should be ashamed of themselves. It's not like the club doesn't have money either.

Cuisance sounds a lot like Guendouzi, ****** attitude. The level of entitlement/self-worth is unreal. Talented players but you can;t go far acting like that. Cuisance should have def stayed at Gladbach

After seeing his post match interview, I wonder if anyone else is thinking this might be his last season there...

He looked more tired and resigned after getting destroyed by Leicester when in the past he would've been visibly fuming and trying to hide his anger :lol:

Might be looking into things too much but I'd be surprised if he extended/renewed at this stage. Would've been a different story had Messi been able to join but from the outside looking in, he kinda looks ready to check out sooner rather than later to me.

I'm almost positive he's gone. doesn't seem like he's fully in it anymore. he's been there way past his usual length of stay as a manager. he just wanted one more of those fat checks this year before dipping :lol:

I hear you. It's just a long time not to be rested, feels like it could catch up to Lewa. I hope not though. But you're right, not too many good quality strikers that would be okay with spending so much time on the bench. I guess the club is gonna have to stick to youth players and Muller or Serge at ST when needed. But your board should be ashamed of themselves. It's not like the club doesn't have money either.

Cuisance sounds a lot like Guendouzi, ****ty attitude. The level of entitlement/self-worth is unreal. Talented players but you can;t go far acting like that. Cuisance should have def stayed at Gladbach

yup forsure I agree. i get saving for corona but there's a balance. we got 200 mill from CL, 5m supercup, 30 thiago, 20 cuisance? there's no way we shouldn't use a portion of that to strengthen the team

spot on regarding cuisance. he even had an altercation today with lewa

ronaldo nazario ronaldo nazario These numbers are actually staggering. We have the most matches to play this year of any german clubs and the least amount of first team players. Cuisance and Javi are basically gone as well so we're really at 23 players total and that includes 3 GKs. We won't even make it past the round of 16 at this rate. Another cup final on Wednesday vs Dortmund too :smh:

As of today, first-team squads:

1. Gladbach - 32
-. Koln - 32
-. Stuttgart -32
4. Schalke - 31
-. Mainz - 31
6. Leipzig - 30
-. Frankfurt - 30
-. Freiburg - 30
9. Bremen - 29
-. Bielefeld - 29
11. Dortmund - 28
-. Leverkusen - 28
-. Hoffenheim - 28
-. Union - 28
15. Augsburg - 27
16. Hertha - 26
-. Wolfsburg - 26
18. Bayern - 25

I told you man, it's been like that for years, even worse this year though because they lost Perisic Coutinho and then sold Thiago. Not sure what they are thinking, if they lose Martinez and the other dude without replacing then I don't know what to say. They have like the smallest team on FIFA lol.

Back n forth scrappiness in this FUL v AVL game. Miscues and a few yellows. The two goals were proper instances of the defence falling asleep

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom