Wrestling Thread Dec 19-25 | 12/25 Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays to the Entire NTWT

Originally Posted by GotHolesInMySocks

F4WOnline.com reports that WWE officials are considering taking the WWE Championship off CM Punk due to ‘terrible ratings patterns’ for his weekly segments on Raw

The matter was broached prior to Sunday’s WWE TLCpay-per-view event, which saw Punk ultimately retain the strap in a Triple Threat Tables, Ladders & Chairs Match against Alberto Del Rio and The Miz. The trend of lackluster ratings for his segments continued the following night on Rawas the program’s overrun, which saw the Straight Edge Superstar, Daniel Bryan and Zack Ryder overcame The Miz, Alberto Del Rio and Dolph Ziggler, only gain 59,000 viewers.

i would give my usual intelligent, thought provoking complaints about this entire quote, but at this point i don't even care anymore. neither should any true wrestling fan. it's seems like after 2007 WWE just fired all of their officials and hired monkeys to do their job.
the booking, story telling, and overall product is bass ackwards.
don't get me wrong i'm not by any means saying that this company was perfect in the past.
we talk about how the under card titles mean nothing, but in the late 90's if you had an over gimmick, whether it be heel or face you automatically got a 1 month IC title reign.
we complain about HHH's constant burials but hell even in the golden era, hogan was burying top heels on a regular basis. dude never put anyone over.
but the difference is, stories were told, intrigue was something of a top priority, making matches actually seem important.
now feuds and angles are as generic as an FCW moveset.

Originally Posted by VeintiSiete

i was watching the Shawn Michaels story on Netflix this morning.

if you've seen it, you'll remember the thing with Ken Shamrock and the lollipop

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

funniest thing id seen in a long time. Michaels was just a true-to-life heel back in the 90's
laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Watching the Taker vs Mankind Hell in a Cell match. Mick Foley is still able to walk to this day. Amazing. His tooth went through his gums through to his nostril. 
sick.gif

Foley done so much to his body for the E.
pimp.gif
eek.gif

Honestly, the punk ratings story sounds like 'newz'. I'm not doubting the rating pattern, but it doesn't matter if they put the belt on anyone else. Cena/Kane did a 700k overrun without the title 2 weeks ago. Do stuff like that to balance out the ratings. The titles just don't have the value they used to have. Officials needs to continue the push of Punk, Ryder, Bryan, Rhodes. The ratings arn't there yet but they'll get there.

Undertaker Vs. Austin was once the lowest ratings draw in E' history in 96. And the rest of the story IS history.

Originally Posted by brasilianmami

i would give my usual intelligent, thought provoking complaints about this entire quote, but at this point i don't even care anymore. neither should any true wrestling fan. it's seems like after 2007 WWE just fired all of their officials and hired monkeys to do their job.
the booking, story telling, and overall product is bass ackwards.
don't get me wrong i'm not by any means saying that this company was perfect in the past.
we talk about how the under card titles mean nothing, but in the late 90's if you had an over gimmick, whether it be heel or face you automatically got a 1 month IC title reign.
we complain about HHH's constant burials but hell even in the golden era, hogan was burying top heels on a regular basis. dude never put anyone over.
but the difference is, stories were told, intrigue was something of a top priority, making matches actually seem important.
now feuds and angles are as generic as an FCW moveset.
The very sad truth. Even though from 97-02, titles were constantly changing hands, you can still pinpoint who won it, which feuds took place
and just remember really distinctive things taking place. In the past couple of years, I couldn't tell you who had what, especially the undercard

titles. Everything is a long indistinctive blur. Al Snow's European title reign was a hell of a lot more eventful than Ezekiel  Jackon's IC title reign. 

Originally Posted by hombrelobo

Honestly, the punk ratings story sounds like 'newz'. I'm not doubting the rating pattern, but it doesn't matter if they put the belt on anyone else. Cena/Kane did a 700k overrun without the title 2 weeks ago. Do stuff like that to balance out the ratings. The titles just don't have the value they used to have. Officials needs to continue the push of Punk, Ryder, Bryan, Rhodes. The ratings arn't there yet but they'll get there.

Undertaker Vs. Austin was once the lowest ratings draw in E' history in 96. And the rest of the story IS history.

The WWE is so concerned with short term business these days it is just unbelievable. Seriously who the %@+% is running this company?

Originally Posted by hymen man

Just watched the Bret/Shawn Greatest Rivalries DVD, very well done.

Definitely, I made my lil cuz sit and watch it, cuz he aint know much about the Hitman and I had to have him see the swag the HBK oozed back in late 96-98

F4WOnline.com reports that WWE officials are considering taking the WWE Championship off CM Punk due to ‘terrible ratings patterns’ for his weekly segments on Raw

The matter was broached prior to Sunday’s WWE TLCpay-per-view event, which saw Punk ultimately retain the strap in a Triple Threat Tables, Ladders & Chairs Match against Alberto Del Rio and The Miz. The trend of lackluster ratings for his segments continued the following night on Rawas the program’s overrun, which saw the Straight Edge Superstar, Daniel Bryan and Zack Ryder overcame The Miz, Alberto Del Rio and Dolph Ziggler, only gain 59,000 viewers.

Wrestling Observereditor Dave Meltzer analyzes: “That’s almost impossible given people tune in to see the following show, which basically meant wrestling fans must have been tuning out in droves (they were during the first half of the match but then started gaining at 11 p.m., but hardly gained anything).

Happy holidays all.

Can't wait to see what 2012 has in store for the world of pro wrestling.

The road to Wrestlemania is just about here, which usually is the best time to be a wrestling fan.

Here's to another year of this thread and all of you #%@#+*#!

I'm really hoping the E can come up with something better than kicking the new year off with a Cena title reign..But it'll probably happen before the end of January..

Merry Christmas NTWT..Hope you all have a safe and happy holiday..

to clarify things regarding where i get the news & notes, i do not go on sites.

a good friend of mine since h.s has been sending news & notes via email since 2001.

there have been times where he was spot on on and there are times he hasn't .

- As noted earlier this week, WWE has registered the trademark “Fear My Name.

If WWE finds some way to put the title back on Cena. Smh.

I could see myself skipping Mania willingly if he's champ.

Now that I think about it, has Cena EVER had a classic match that will always be talked about? There is a difference between "hyped" matches and memorable.

I'm drawing a blank.The match with Punk was pretty cool. But everything is so forced nowadays.

Back
Top Bottom