Would an 80's/90's style arcade be profitable?

There is a Ice Cream/Arcade business here in Seattle called Fulltilt that is doing well (Id imagine as they now have 4 locations across the city) They are an Ice cream place first, they come up with all kinds of unique flavors that you wouldn't/couldn't get in the grocery store (thats what brings people in) and they have a pretty good amount of old pinball and arcade classics. I love the place.

Check them out and hell maybe even hit them up. See if they'll give you some info on what its like.

http://fulltilticecream.com/

Last edited:
All major events in sports on TVs around the bar and gaming area would be a good idea also, such as PPV Boxing, NFL playoffs, World Series, NBA playoffs, World Cup, etc. it would be inexpensive and generate busy days.

It could work if the arcade games weren't your main/only source of revenue.

As other users have said a standalone arcade most likely wouldn't work unless it has something else like a restaurant. Most Arcades I've seen that still exist are in bowling alleys, mini golf courses and dave and busters. The arcade is basically used as a way to kill time which compliment's the business focus because there could be waiting time or it's used to have you stay in the place longer so more cash could be spent there. The problem I see with arcades is how much money is there to be made because it is a niche market

I'm not saying it won't work, but maybe having something else as the focus like a bar or restaurant as others said could work. I'd think to have success in this kind of business is to make the customers stay an extended amount of time because with an arcade I feel one would maybe stay for no more than an hour and I can usually play for a while in an arcade for a small amount of money. If it is also a restaurant then the selling point to a consumer could be that they serve food or alcohol and any wait the person would experience they could be playing in that arcade which means the person is spending money on food and on top of that their waiting time or after time they are spending more money on the arcade.

So basically have the arcade so that the customer spends a reasonable amount of time in your business spending money and that they are there long enough that the time spent going to and from the arcade would make it worth it for the customer to come again.

I went to one in Portland a while back, it was pretty busy....had a rock band tourney goin on, served alcohol and had a bunch of old school machines (burger time!)

Then again, it was Portland...

i think thats a great idea. you just have to really get the classics that most ppl like. like the pac man, donkey kong, spy hunter, etc....

Having a bar would definitely make the arcade more profitable. Get a karaoke going up in there too. Nothing like drunken adults playing old-school games and having singalongs.

It would HAVE to be a bar first.
This. Its possible. Especially now where you can make Arcade Cabinets for cheap with rasberry pi's running emulators. You can do a whole lot. Just IGNORE all that old retro crap and get new ones.

Have it be a fun bar in the right area and you can do fine.

I have an idea for a place like this. You would have the old style cabinets but  they would all be hooked up to the same master computer. People could walk up to one and access any game out of the library.  If that makes any sense? 

I'm seriously looking for on of those sit down, table top Pac man or Breakout..
..so I can turn it into a coffee table..

Strickly quarters + drinks + flatscreens + free wifi + a random barber chair = profit

We have two Barcades I know of in Chicago, one in a Yuppie place, one in a hipster place. The only problem with them so far: No women :smh:

All major events in sports on TVs around the bar and gaming area would be a good idea also, such as PPV Boxing, NFL playoffs, World Series, NBA playoffs, World Cup, etc. it would be inexpensive and generate busy days.

Inexpensive? PPV fights at bars are ridiculous. I've seen neighborhood bar owners cheese it by bringing in their residential neighbors box into the bar and ordering fights so it's only $70 as opposed to $500, but if you do any sort of advertising you can find a Cease and Desist letter showing up at your door.

AlBooBoo5: Sounds like you'd have a bunch of machines running MAME that's got a server pushing out the games in the back, which is cool for personal use at home, but you can find yourself in legal hot water if you don't actually own the boards. Plus as good as emulation is, people that really get into the whole I want to play vintage game things appreciate the work involved in finding, restoring, and maintaining 30 year old games.

OP if you do this and find a G-Loc R360 machine please send me a PM so I can make a special trip to your arcade.

Last edited:
Sounds like dave and busters.. and most of their money is probably made from food rather than the actual games IMO. Part of me thinks it could work in a small college town like someone said where you have consistent regulars who treat it as a hangout. Another part of me thinks your better off going the big city route but that comes with much greater expenses like rent but possibly more business... Me personally, I would love to see it happen but I could probably only see myself going once or twice a month at most.

do Dave & Buster's make a steady profit? Are Chuck E. Cheese's money makers?

Maybe you could attract more people if instead of a coin operated arcade, invest in a bunch of Xbox's, PS3's, PC's etc and provide a venue for LAN gaming?

prob wont be that profitable unless you selling other stuff....i never see arcades like we use to see when growing up...all i played when i went to the arcade were fighters....i miss the atmosphere...the competition.... the crowd around you when ur playing a new fighting game that just dropped....arcades were the sht back in the day. :smokin

This is a great thread. It might be tough, but like others have said here, making it something else first would be the better option. Make the games the bonus hook that would make it unique. If you really can forge ahead with your plan, make sure you can get old favorites that no one would have so they would want to come to you. I've had this discussion with friends before, online gaming and home platforms pretty much killed arcades. Even with this arcades can never be replaced though. It's sad how kids now playing video games have almost no concept of where the love originated from. SF 2 in the arcade > SF 2 on any home console.

Why is barcade walking distance from my job?!!!!! Awww man it's on like Donkey Kong!

Last edited:
Adding to my last comment, if you sell it on the atmosphere, then you should be good. The old-school arcade element should be complementary.

Do you have a culinary background or know anyone who does? Maybe a gastropub/retro arcade hybrid concept? I'd totally go to one if it was done well, but it's going to be EXPENSIVE.

Back
Top Bottom