Would an 80's/90's style arcade be profitable?

Im not sure how expensive arcades are nowadays, but it might take a while to even just break even.

Myself personally probably wouldn't go to one, epecially since back in the day you could play from a quarter or two, now you need like 1-2 dollars a game for any chance at making any money.

But like other people said, if your selling other stuff (food alcohol maybe), it could work, and then once you break even on purchasing machines its all profit on the retro games, minus maintenance costs. Just make sure there's no Dave and Busters in your area.

[COLOR=#red]Having a BarCade would be amazing man...

If you had that around here, I'd for sure go. I miss my old arcades (had 2 in the bay that I would ride my bike to All the time.) Good 'ol days.

Kids today don't know sh-t... So lazy.[/COLOR]

Got a bar/arcade in my town. Seems like they always have lines out the door. They mostly have retro 80s/90s games with a bunch of air hockey, skee ball, and basketball games that seems to attract the female crowd.

I agree with most NT'ers a standalone arcade is def no beans, but a barcade might be good depending on your area.

As others have mentioned InsertCoin(s) here in Vegas is now expanding, think theres one in Minneapolis now.  Theres a new spot in Vegas just opened up

HiScoresLV.com

place has a few old school arcade games, pinball machines, and full bar, BUT they're arcade games are free.  Its nice little local spot

Arcade gaming is dead.It's all about online play now especially with FPS and sport games.
I understand that, but one thing I would have going for me is the nostalgia factor from the 80's babies. You don't think it could work?
80s babies are for the most part grown *** adults who won't have time to go to an arcade and would rather sit at home and play online

Would love to have that old type of arcade feel again. Try to give it a twist at the same time tho to give it some originality.

I've had an itch lately to open up a retro styled arcade, complete with a jukebox full of Journey and Van Halen. My inspiration is Flynn's arcade from Tron (huge fan of the franchise). The only problem is, would it be profitable? I don't know how big it would be with this new generation of kids who will refuse to play anything with subpar graphics, and my generation might not have the time in their schedules to go to an arcade. Would a retro arcade/bar be better to target a more adult audience? What do you guys think?
Would you guys go to quarter machine arcade that had a full bar?

I dont know the name of the place but there is a bar/arcade spot in Eugene OR. At night the place looks like a club its so packed.

I dont know the name of the place but there is a bar/arcade spot in Eugene OR. At night the place looks like a club its so packed.

arcades are sick.. but there is no real future in it anymore.. especially where gaming systems have taken a huge leap compared to a NES 8 bit or Sega Megadrive..

but it still gets some people, like professional gamers (fighting games, like SSF4, MK0, TTT2), and that is about it

How about a multiplayer arena type of set up.. instead of spending thousands on arcade vending machines.. purchase 20 consoles, 20 lcd's and set up some sort of gaming tournament.

.. you can add all sorts of gamer memorabilia, such as posters and stuff. maybe have daily contests.. have contestants pay to play, win big prizes. i've always hoped to open a video gaming arena type of deal.. but it was just an idea. good luck op

-stayfresh

I think it would be quite cool. I would aim for its own separate building though, with lots of lights to attract attention. The design would look quite futuristic, but also have old games and other stuff inside. It could be like a Dave N Busters where kids can go an play, but the parents or adults can eat quality food/ drink. 

There's a place in Williamsburg and NJ called barcade. It's a bar and a 80's arcade put together. It's pretty cool.

90's would probably sell a little better, I'd have all 90's theme, TV shows playing, 90's style cups and plates, wallpaper, etc...think "The Max" from Saved by the Bell. 90's video games are still popular, Turtles In Times, The Simpsons etc.

I wouldn't put too much into it, and start off small, maybe 80-90 capacity to make it look packed, hire high school girls and uniforms from the 90's.

Don't expect a huge ROI first 6 months...

90's would probably sell a little better, I'd have all 90's theme, TV shows playing, 90's style cups and plates, wallpaper, etc...think "The Max" from Saved by the Bell. 90's video games are still popular, Turtles In Times, The Simpsons etc.

I wouldn't put too much into it, and start off small, maybe 80-90 capacity to make it look packed, hire high school girls and uniforms from the 90's.

Don't expect a huge ROI first 6 months 2 years...

Fixed.

Location, Location, Location.  You better be in a tourist area or highly populated urban area.  

It wouldn't work being simply an arcade.  You would need to mix it with a bar or restaurant. Maybe go the Dave and Busters route with retro games sprinkled in.  Then you have to get a liquor license and worry about health inspections in the kitchen.  

Good luck but do your homework fam 

I beleive it could work,espacially if its set in an adult setting where truckers,locals and college students can hangout.But you would also have to give them a reason to return so you could set up tournaments,highest score board,challenges to win something like,free drinks for that night.All that will depend on the type of games you have too.

Good luck

What if you made it a penny arcade a la Disney World?

Just have the right games.

Back
Top Bottom