Work/Life Balance Is Overrated

You're one of the select few people I've seen on NT that have this view and it's GREAT. It's good to have a strong working mentality especially if you're young, but eventually you want to have some time for yourself and enjoy your personal time for yourself and others you'd like to share your time with.

It's one of the many "balances" of life that some people take their entire lives to get right.

EDIT: For the people who are really saying they enjoy the grind--How many hours on average do you work?

I used to work 100+ hours almost every week for 2 years. Now It's more like 50-60 hours a week.

Last edited:
I'm right there with you. My best friend is my boss and I work with 3 other great people.
I don't know if I could work in a normal work environment.
People would probably **** themselves if they saw what goes down in our office.
I love work.

I'm right there with you. My best friend is my boss and I work with 3 other great people.
People would probably **** themselves if they saw what goes down in our office.

:nerd:

give us one or two good stories homie.

Last edited:
I used to work 7 hour shifts from sunday to sunday, and it didnt bother me till i enjoyed a day off and realized what i was missing

A lot of dudes gonna come in here and pat themselves on the pack for being hard workers but lets consider some other points

-If you like your work environment that's all well and good, but if you don't, or it is health or stressful, it can really **** wit your mind. And in the case of some jobs, your body

-Some may think they are a hard worker for working tons of hurs, but it may be that your don't value your time very much.

-Everyone tries to maximize their utility, and everyone is different. If someone only needs 60K to live, and they can make that in 40 hours, so that they can enjoy their hobbies or family then that's good for them. Other people don't value leisure time as much, they value money, so they have 70 plus to work at a job that way they can earn that high salary.

-If your working 60 hours and the next guy is working 40 hrs, but of you are both getting paid the same. One are not only the harder worker, but also the bigger sucker.

-As your get older you should be making more money, or working less hours to make the same amount. Ideally both

-Your time is your money. Spending tons of time at work, for no good reason,and not getting paid extra for it is not a good look.

-Nothing wrong with working hard, as long as your getting paid for it and it is getting you ahead. Never break your back for a company, unless you own it.

Last edited:
I used to work 7 hour shifts from sunday to sunday, and it didnt bother me till i enjoyed a day off and realized what i was missing

Word.

Before I graduated, I took 20+ credits for school and orked 30 hrs/wk...

After I graduated, I worked a 9-5 and was still doing 20 hrs/wk at my part-time job...

Then someone schooled me to the whole "Quality of Life" concept... Made me grasp that it was so much out here to see and do outside of the work world...

Don't get me wrong... that sense of determination/will-power you develop when you work a lot is something unique and something that's great to have... I just think the work/life balance is good and healthy to those who choose to do so...

I be going ham with the overtime at the job ain't even mad need that bread , love my boss and coworkers listen to music while I work, always free food and team outings

The key is enjoying what you do so much you don't mind putting in that extra work. Working hard at someplace you hate takes a toll on your entire life. Working smarter > harder though. I love seeing far ahead and being in front of my work. Inserting yourself into your work to be the dopest mother ****** that ever had the position is actually a good stress relief.

I've seen a lot of NT complain about the 9-5 grind, but I love it.

Anyone else enjoy being a workaholic? Work so much when I do take a break I go IN!

I actually take pride in it. I don't even make that much I just enjoy the grind.

Lol.

Do you pleighboy. Being complacent works for some people.

Last edited:
Its hard to think this way when you despise your job. I would be totally willing to work more hours if I didnt hate it here.

Reactions: Ube
i work when i get bored so i have no problem working a Saturday or 10-12 hours buuuuuut if im going to do that, i want to get compensated for it.

previous 2 years I was cleaning up on OT stuff for the project i work on but due to rebudgeting earlier this year, OT was taken off the table. 

now if i do long(er) days or weekend hours, i just comp it during the week, which still sucks because that extra cash was so glorious.

also a lot of the OT i collected was from finishing my workload for the week in 2-3 days, so a good amount of the time i was collecting more cash from a standard work week.

Last edited:
if you have a great job and enjoy it good for you
i like the job where i'm at because it is leading to the next step in my life, thats my motivation. also get paid pretty decent for being 22

Last edited:
A lot of dudes gonna come in here and pat themselves on the pack for being hard workers but lets consider some other points

-If you like your work environment that's all well and good, but if you don't, or it is health or stressful, it can really **** wit your mind. And in the case of some jobs, your body

-Some may think they are a hard worker for working tons of others, but it may be that your don't value your time very much.

-Everyone trys to maximize their utility, and everyone is different. If someone only needs 60K to leave and they can make that in 40 hours, so that they can enjoy their hobbies or family then that's good for them. Other people don't value leisure time as much, they value money, so they have 70 plus to work at a job so the can earn that high salary.

-If your working 60 hours and the next guy is working 40 hrs, but your both getting paid the same. One are not only the harder worker, but also the bigger sucker.

-As your get older you should be making or the less time your should be working to make the same amount. Ideally both

-Your time is your money. Spending tons of time at work, for no good reason, if your not getting paid extra for is not a good look.

-Nothing wrong with working hard, as long as your getting paid for it and it is getting your ahead. Never break your back for a company, unless you own it.
repped...

I disagree about the part about worming harder and not getting paid... Some people, that salary ain't budging even when fire drills are in effect.

I get what you're saying though... Like, putting in the work and you know its meaningless...

Going super hard for a corp and expecting to make it to rich CEO levels TO ME is harder than starting a successful company... (More difficult in a sense of you have many more moving factors that can effect your position, like politics and company initiatives)

I'm talking fortune 50 companies... Where the ceos are pulling in $10M+...

I think there are more successful investors, mmoney managers, and business owners that can reach those levels...

But they get stuck in the corporate grind and think they'll work their way to the top..

Its lot of luck and politics involved with these huge companies.

Back to the topic... Working tons of hours is cool if you enjoy what you do OR you work with good people OR you feel its justified with the results like pay or personal satisfaction.

I'm sorry but working a 9-5 doesn't make you a workaholic, :lol:.

50-60 hours a week is nothing, there's 168 hours in a week.

The hell are you doing w/ the other 100?

Last edited by a moderator:
If you love what you do, there is nothing wrong with working hard or putting in long hours. Just give it your all in both aspects of your life....professional and personal.

i remember i use to work with this one lady who was my supervisor and she would work crazy amount of hours. talking about this is the first time in months she was going to be able sit down and have dinner with her husband.

you may make 100k but if you are working 70+hrs and having to travel back and forth then i feel it is a little OD, but if you enjoy it, i cant knock you for it. i could never envision myself living out of a suitcase

Last edited:
i remember i use to work with this one lady who was my supervisor and she would work crazy amount of hours. talking about this is the first time in months she was going to be able sit down and have dinner with her husband.

you may make 100k but if you are working 70+hrs and having to travel back and forth then i feel it is a little OD, but if you enjoy it, i cant knock you for it. i could never envision myself living out of a suitcase

70 hours for 100K? :x

One Week = 168 hours. Sleeping = 49 hours, work = 70 hours, so about less than 50 hours a week for your own personal time? :smh:

Crazy cause folks do that not just for a year but for countless years grinding and stressing. No... I will never live that life unless I have to. I mean if you have kids, than yah you have no choice cause you have to provide but if you're single or a bachelor, shooooot I can take a leave of absence and travel or what not and still live a good life due to my savings and frugal living style! That's why I enjoy my 9-6, 40 hours a week. Yes I could probably make a ton more money working elsewhere and put in more hours or climb that Corporate ladder but why? Just so I can drive a M3 instead of a Tacoma? I am glad I am over materialistic things.

Reactions: Ube

-Some may think they are a hard worker for working tons of others, but it may be that your don't value your time very much.

-Everyone trys to maximize their utility, and everyone is different. If someone only needs 60K to leave and they can make that in 40 hours, so that they can enjoy their hobbies or family then that's good for them. Other people don't value leisure time as much, they value money, so they have 70 plus to work at a job so the can earn that high salary.

-If your working 60 hours and the next guy is working 40 hrs, but your both getting paid the same. One are not only the harder worker, but also the bigger sucker.

-As your get older you should be making or the less time your should be working to make the same amount. Ideally both

-Your time is your money. Spending tons of time at work, for no good reason, if your not getting paid extra for is not a good look.

-Nothing wrong with working hard, as long as your getting paid for it and it is getting your ahead. Never break your back for a company, unless you own it.
repped...

I disagree about the part about worming harder and not getting paid... Some people, that salary ain't budging even when fire drills are in effect.

I get what you're saying though... Like, putting in the work and you know its meaningless...

Going super hard for a corp and expecting to make it to rich CEO levels TO ME is harder than starting a successful company... (More difficult in a sense of you have many more moving factors that can effect your position, like politics and company initiatives)

I'm talking fortune 50 companies... Where the ceos are pulling in $10M+...

I think there are more successful investors, mmoney managers, and business owners that can reach those levels...

But they get stuck in the corporate grind and think they'll work their way to the top..

Its lot of luck and politics involved with these huge companies.

Back to the topic... Working tons of hours is cool if you enjoy what you do OR you work with good people OR you feel its justified with the results like pay or personal satisfaction.

I feel you brah.

That why I said the part about "if it gets you ahead". In some jobs, working 60,70 even 100 hours are required at some point if you wanna break through to the next level. If that's the case then I'm all for it. But just slaving to say you're slaving is stupid.

I've seen a lot of NT complain about the 9-5 grind, but I love it.

Anyone else enjoy being a workaholic? Work so much when I do take a break I go IN!

I actually take pride in it. I don't even make that much I just enjoy the grind.
Nah man, I like my time. 

But thanks to the Federal Reserve and the IRS for being implemented in 1913 for this form of slavery we all have to endure. 

It seems like we've become accustomed to being robbed blindly. 

I believe a lot of folks that say they don't like working typically have a job they dread. That can make a world of difference as far as I'm concerned.

Thing is, you've gotta work hard to get to where you want to be. Dudes want to have everything but don't always want to put the work in to get it.

I see poor work ethic all the time and I mostly contribute it to the fact that that person doesn't enjoy the job they're doing. I'm fortunate enough to have obtained a position that pays me decent (always room for improvement :pimp: ) and that I enjoy doing. Every day I wake up at 6:30AM and never feel burdened or downtrodden by the fact that I'm going to work. I like my job. I get there at 8 and before you know it, I'm clocking out at 5. My day literally flies by because my job is not only enjoyable, but it keeps me challenged. I always have to use my head; little to no repetitive tasks.

I was on leave for a month and a half and I just remember hating the fact that I had NOTHING to do. I felt so stagnant. When I got back to the office, it was GO time. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom