Will Smith thinks MIB III sucks

Originally Posted by nom de guerre

^^How are I am Legend, and Pursuit of Happiness not good your trippin son.
Why don't you step up your reading and comprehension, son. I said "most", as in a majority of.

Originally Posted by Winged Wheel

Originally Posted by nom de guerre

^^How are I am Legend, and Pursuit of Happiness not good your trippin son.
Why don't you step up your reading and comprehension, son. I said "most", as in a majority of.

"Snoop voice" Well let it be known then

Six degrees of separation is one of his best roles. Or it might just be the excellent script. 

nerd.gif
Hitch 2
nerd.gif

If someone would of made an appreciation thread for a random will smith movie all these negative responses wouldnt exist.

NT goes with the flow to much.
MIB1 sick movie
Hancock alright movie
Hitch sick movie
7 pounds nice movie
independence day sick
enemy of the state sick
bad boys 1 and 2 sick

Shall i go on? People continually throughout the years enjoy his movies. Im sure most of the people mad have atleast 3 of his dvds in their collection.

^Depends which movie it would be an appreciation of. I can guarantee w/e movie it was it wouldn't be a 6 page thread unless ppl came in posting why that movie and most of his movies are average or mediocre.

Oh so he's rewriting the script for this movie. Yeah he must be trying to win that oscar with this movie, gonna turn it into an emotional tour de force questioning the meaning of life and the true existence of extraterrestrials. Where his character will go through a journey of self-discovery. Or he's just trying to add in more scenes of him running and chasing things
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by KanyeWestJayZ4life

If someone would of made an appreciation thread for a random will smith movie all these negative responses wouldnt exist.

NT goes with the flow to much.
Im sure most of the people mad have atleast 3 of his dvds in their collection.

First of all nobody is going with the flow. People are just voicing their opinions. Nobody is mad either, you do realize that everyone doesn't like the things you like right? Just because the masses watch Will Smith's movies doesn't make them good. I swear I have never seen as much insecurity on a daily basis as I do here. People genuinely get upset here if someone has a different opinion. Btw I don't own a single Will Smith movie and I doubt that anyone here who has voiced a similar opinion as mine does as well.

Say what you will (no pun) about will smith's acting but he stays with the baddest female co-stars (eva, selma, vivica fox's strip scene was 
devil.gif
) and is at the very least an entertaining actor to watch . He gets mad paper from syndication and puts out a movie about every 1-2 years, 2 kids and a wife raking it in by the burlap sack with their own demographics, for some reason he's been given a hood Life pass on anything bc of Fresh Prince, and doesn't he have an open relationship with Jada Pinkett. Despite the scientology he is definitely winning, i cant even be mad.
Could you imagine if he didn't turn down the matrix.
eek.gif
indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by RFX45

I like a lot of Will Smith movies but he is one of those actors that even though the movie is bad, if it is showing on TV I'll be watching it anyways.

Some of you guys are crazy to say most of his movies suck.

Independence Day
Bad Boys
Ali
Pursuit of Happyness
I am Legend
Hitch
Enemy of the State

Those are all good to great movies.
The others, even though not as good, has been entertaining to say the least.

Originally Posted by ErvinSB91

Say what you will (no pun) about will smith's acting but he stays with the baddest female co-stars (eva, selma, vivica fox's strip scene was 
devil.gif
) and is at the very least an entertaining actor to watch . He gets mad paper from syndication and puts out a movie about every 1-2 years, 2 kids and a wife raking it in by the burlap sack with their own demographics, for some reason he's been given a hoodLife pass on anything bc of Fresh Prince, and doesn't he have an open relationship with JadaPinkett. Despite the scientology he is definitely winning, i cant even be mad.
Could you imagine if he didn't turn down the matrix.
eek.gif
indifferent.gif
I am glad he turned down the Matrix, dumbo ears be doing his usual yell at agent smith
I rather see this will smith

Originally Posted by dland24

I know he hasnt made that many films recently, but you guys are saying he and his movies suck just to be cool or for the lulz. Period.

Look me in the eyes and tell me these movies suck:

Independence Day
Bad Boys I & II
Hitch
MIB I & II
Enemy of the State (one of my favorites)
Ali
Legend of Bagger Vance
Pursuit of Happyness
I, Robot
Hancock

Im sorry but thats a great resume. Hancock is the only movie on there I havent seen, but at worst, that movie is average. Every other one has been a great film. If calling Will Smith movies awful is the cool thing to do, count me out. I guess I am not cool anymore.

Will Smith doesnt make bad films. Period.
I'm not saying Smith completely sucks in every film he's ever done, because that's ridiculous. But a lot of those movies you listed are very average, and by no means make up a great resume. DiCaprio has a great resume, DeNiro has a great one, Day-Lewis has a great resume, Pacino, Hanks, etc. Comparing Smith to those and it's more obvious.

A lot of those movies (Bad Boys 1 and 2, Hitch, Independence Day, MIB I) are all entertaining movies, but aren't great films in my mind. I didn't walk out of the theaters in any of those and say "wow, now that was a great film that will stand the test of time" Maybe your definition and my definition of great differs, but an entertaining or funny Hollywood movie isn't usually considered great. Now I,Robot, Hancock, Bagger Vance, those movies just aren't good
laugh.gif
Smith has made good movies, Happyness, Enemy of the State, Ali, and even the ones I mentioned all have their positives, but this isn't as absurd as someone saying Goodfellas, Taxi Driver, and The Godfather sucked... which a lot of people seem to be responding as such. People are acting like we're saying DeNiro's resume is overrated and isn't as good as people think, we're saying this to Will Smith.

This is what I said earlier in the thread and I think it bears repeating..

Originally Posted by Big J 33

Pretty sure it was JRS who said it, but Smith is a movie star... not an actor.

His films are entertaining for the most part, he can play funny, an action star, and can do well enough with the dramatic. He has his moments for sure, but short of Ali (which could have been better and isn't really Will's fault), he's not irreplaceable in any of his best stuff. You can imagine another actor doing as good or better job in most of his roles. By now he's just a cash cow and a near guarantee to gross at least 100 million domestic and a few hundred million overseas.

I like Smith, he's incredibly talented, funny, and I enjoyed a lot of his work, but he's a box office draw first and an actor second.

Again... I'm a huge Will Smith fan. I own several of his movies, but when I list the best actors, with the best films, Smith isn't on my short list. This thread seems to be an issue of people defining "great" "sucks" and how they judge movies. Some think a movie is great if it's entertaining and worth a trip to the theaters, others criticize movies to a higher standard and aren't impressed by Smith's one liners and dance scenes. Neither is wrong per se, just different sets of values and opinions.

Originally Posted by dland24

I know he hasnt made that many films recently, but you guys are saying he and his movies suck just to be cool or for the lulz. Period.

Look me in the eyes and tell me these movies suck:

Independence Day
Bad Boys I & II
Hitch
MIB I & II
Enemy of the State (one of my favorites)
Ali
Legend of Bagger Vance
Pursuit of Happyness
I, Robot
Hancock

Im sorry but thats a great resume. Hancock is the only movie on there I havent seen, but at worst, that movie is average. Every other one has been a great film. If calling Will Smith movies awful is the cool thing to do, count me out. I guess I am not cool anymore.

Will Smith doesnt make bad films. Period.
I'm not saying Smith completely sucks in every film he's ever done, because that's ridiculous. But a lot of those movies you listed are very average, and by no means make up a great resume. DiCaprio has a great resume, DeNiro has a great one, Day-Lewis has a great resume, Pacino, Hanks, etc. Comparing Smith to those and it's more obvious.

A lot of those movies (Bad Boys 1 and 2, Hitch, Independence Day, MIB I) are all entertaining movies, but aren't great films in my mind. I didn't walk out of the theaters in any of those and say "wow, now that was a great film that will stand the test of time" Maybe your definition and my definition of great differs, but an entertaining or funny Hollywood movie isn't usually considered great. Now I,Robot, Hancock, Bagger Vance, those movies just aren't good
laugh.gif
Smith has made good movies, Happyness, Enemy of the State, Ali, and even the ones I mentioned all have their positives, but this isn't as absurd as someone saying Goodfellas, Taxi Driver, and The Godfather sucked... which a lot of people seem to be responding as such. People are acting like we're saying DeNiro's resume is overrated and isn't as good as people think, we're saying this to Will Smith.

This is what I said earlier in the thread and I think it bears repeating..

Pretty sure it was JRS who said it, but Smith is a movie star... not an actor.

His films are entertaining for the most part, he can play funny, an action star, and can do well enough with the dramatic. He has his moments for sure, but short of Ali (which could have been better and isn't really Will's fault), he's not irreplaceable in any of his best stuff. You can imagine another actor doing as good or better job in most of his roles. By now he's just a cash cow and a near guarantee to gross at least 100 million domestic and a few hundred million overseas.

I like Smith, he's incredibly talented, funny, and I enjoyed a lot of his work, but he's a box office draw first and an actor second.

Again... I'm a huge Will Smith fan. I own several of his movies, but when I list the best actors, with the best films, Smith isn't on my short list. This thread seems to be an issue of people defining "great" "sucks" and how they judge movies. Some think a movie is great if it's entertaining and worth a trip to the theaters, others criticize movies to a higher standard and aren't impressed by Smith's one liners and dance scenes. Neither is wrong per se, just different sets of values and opinions.

He is a pop corn actor...now he might find a role that will land him an Oscar one day but making films like MIB 3 etc isn't getting him there any quicker or have more of a credible actor. He can do it one day because if it happened to Tom Hanks it can happen to Will. Just look at Tom's resume before he made it big...

Back
Top Bottom