Why is Niketalk Partnering with ISS?

The partnership between NT and ISS has been announced. If you have further questions for ISS, please check out their intro thread.

I'm just curious who the NT member is who is running ISS and why he didn't come to NT himself and disclose what is going on.

It would have been nice if he changed ISS's name after taking it away from Steve...

i have to agree and i think it would be a good move plus a 10% discount code for NT member aint bad either

Last edited:
I'm just curious who the NT member is who is running ISS and why he didn't come to NT himself and disclose what is going on.

It would have been nice if he changed ISS's name after taking it away from Steve...

So you didnt bother reading any of the posts on this page huh? :lol:

I did read all the posts and still no one has said which NTer OWNS ISS. Lil Penny said he helps RUN ISS, he does not own it. A Mod from Huddler made the announcement in this thread and before that we found out about the joint venture via 4W.

So I don't know what I "didn't bother reading" in regards to my question.

Last edited:
Interesting. Well, Steve is out of the picture there so who cares...
He still won, though... For the wrong reason. He doesn't and never did have an interest in sneakers in the first place. He saw people going crazy for shoes and sees it as an opportunity for $$$$$, which is why he started ISS. Now that SC is sold off to Complex, he is probably pretty damn well off.

So?

The way I see it, Meth had a personal issue with Steve, it was really between them two, but both parties went about it in a very public way and somewat immature, yet entertaining way...then came the sheep mentality, which fed the fire...people poked sides and went out their way to make themselves feel superior without much of a reason to be honest....you can have different interests an not enjoy the other site or even have the need to browse, but to say you HATE it just because its a bit stupid, admit it or not majority of you who feel such strong feelings towards that forum are just the biggest sheep of them all....time to get over it my bros.

WOW.. the logic is understandable.. but Meth you have to understand how weird it feels for us...
I do and, believe me, I am INCREDIBLY appreciative of how loyal you guys are to each other and to the community.  And if somebody has wronged you or your friends in the past, you don't easily forget it.  I think that speaks to the character of the community.

However, I think the central issue here is that we're principled.  There was a reason why we took exception to the way the old ISS had been managed.  It wasn't just because they fancied themselves our "rival."  

All those reasons are no longer valid.  ISS today doesn't run a competing forum.  They aren't expecting free promotion, the way the old owner did.  They're interested in supporting the community via non-exclusive advertising.  They're interested in giving back to charity.  They're interested in giving away product to NikeTalk users.  The staff and ownership are COMPLETELY different than they once were.

It's like hating the 2015 Charlotte Hornets because George Shinn, the owner of the OLD Charlotte Hornets, was accused of sexual assault.   1. Shinn's franchise moved to New Orleans.  2. Shinn sold to Tom Benson.  3. The current Charlotte team is an expansion team and shares nothing but the old team name in common with the franchise that is now known as the New Orleans Pelicans. 

The current owner of ISS has been a NikeTalk member since 2001.  They run a respectable business.  They deal ONLY in 100% authentic products.  They care about social responsibility.  

It just makes no sense to deny them sponsorship due to the indiscretions of someone who hasn't had any control of the site in YEARS.  This wasn't a RECENT sale.  It happened in 2010.  Enough time has passed there and, to my knowledge, not ONE complaint has emerged on our forums regarding the current store.  No consignment scandal.  No "questionable" merchandise.  Nothing.

I know how you feel, but this isn't Magic Johnson in a Celtics jersey.  Again, look at the facts:  The current ISS doesn't run a competing forum site.  They have nothing but respect for NikeTalk.  Their owner is a longstanding member of NikeTalk.  

They're running a reputable business and all we're doing is recognizing that and treating them as such.  
With Meth being in here... them damn hover ads or annoying as hell.

It says to hover over them for at least 3 seconds for them to automatically start playing. But sometimes, it takes less than that.

I hate them.
mad.gif
There are still a few glitches to be ironed out with those and, believe me, I'm pretty sure everyone at Huddler is well aware of my concerns and user concerns regarding implementation.  

Initially, there were issues with the mouseover detection, which caused ads to expand even AFTER a user had moved their cursor outside of the ad or even outside of their browser window.  Huddler's aware of the problem and they've been working tirelessly to correct it.

However, I do think it's fair to develop an "ad free" subscription for all users who wish to opt out of the banner ads.  (The sponsor list, etc. would still show up, I believe, but not the banner ads.)  The code for that's already in the system.  We'd just have to work out the details.  It would work a bit like the old "ezsupporter" or community gold subscriptions we used to have on the old site, only this time the subscription fees would actually benefit charity.  (ezboard/yuku screwed us out of the old subscription fees.)

If you're interested in something like that, drop me a line and let me know what you think would be fair to ask for a 12 month subscription.  We'll work with Huddler on crunching the numbers and hopefully we can figure something out for those who find the current banner ads annoying.  Using an ad blocker is the worst outcome for us, because we still incur all the expenses related to that usage (bandwidth, etc.) and yet we're denied the opportunity to pay for those expenses.  It costs us money and, thus, it diminishes, rather than contributes to, the amount we're able to raise for charity each year.  A premium subscription resolves that issue and strikes me as a fair compromise.  We likely wouldn't receive as much as we would from the ad views associated with a year's worth of regular usage, but if it makes your visits more enjoyable and allows us to cover our costs and give back to charity, I consider that a win/win.

Wait... ISS and Sole Collector are two different things?!

Yes.

ISS was sold to Uptempoair a couple years ago I believe, then SC was sold to Complex and couple months ago.

ISS*forums hasn't existed for a long time. It's Sole Collector Forums now.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom