why is hunting considered a "sport" and accepted in society?

rex ryan

Banned
that's something i never understood. how a civilized human could go to some woods or a forest and shoot and kill an innocent animal that didn't do anything to them and consider that a sport.

personally i think that's so ignorant and anyone that would shoot an animal strictly for entertainment purposes is a twisted psychopath.

Not a sport for sure.

A hobby for some.

Still they better not waste that food :smh:

So do you consider hunting to lower an overpopulated animal's numbers in an area ignorant too?

There are some hunting competitions, but nothing like Bass fishing, where it is an actual sport shown on TV...Think about it that is also hunting.

For one population control, particularly of "nuisance" wildlife. For example, where I live these feral hogs reproduce with the domesticated hogs and local hogs and create these gigantic cyborg boars so they are open season to hunt year around. There's also the issue of the damage they do to the environment and them spilling over onto human land i.e cities.

If you looking for actual answers go ask the people on this site.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/hunting

Also a random video I found.

Last edited:
population control is understandable, i could see where people are coming from with that. the situation you mentioned with the hogs is understandable as well due to the damage they would cause

but i just don't get the thinking of a grown man going to the forest, waiting around for a deer then blasting it just because they like to go hunting to me that's a different situation then the hog or population situations.

over population of animals
-destroy farm lands
-more animal to human attacks
-can possibly run out of food
-some people still hunt to support themselves with the food they kill (blankets, meat)

and so on...i can think of more reasons but this is a silly question that can easily be googled

Yes I am a hunter

Last edited:
I've never agreed with hunting as a hobby. If you live off what you kill then that's one thing, but doing it for the "sport"...completely unnecessary and immoral imo.

Last edited:
Hunting has been apart of human society since the dawn of man. We would have DIED if we did not hurt all these centuries. There are cultures of warriors and hunting in today's society still.

i lot of the people i know that hunt, eat the animal they kill... elk, deer, bear, duck, fish

Iono to answer the question but I want to hunt me a gator and make some custom LV Dons :pimp:

Hunting has been apart of human society since the dawn of man. We would have DIED if we did not hurt all these centuries. There are cultures of warriors and hunting in today's society still.

...and that's the point. Nowadays, most people who go out hunting won't die if they choose not to hunt. We no longer need to in order to survive.

over population of animals
-destroy farm lands
-more animal to human attacks
-can possibly run out of food
-some people still hunt to support themselves with the food they kill (blankets, meat)

and so on...i can think of more reasons but this is a silly question that can easily be googled

Yes I am a hunter

1. Over population of animals is a silly argument. It's never been an issue because nature regulates animal populations, far better than we can ever dream of.

2. Destroy farm land. Simple--stop encroaching on their (wild animals) lands. We continue to expand deeper and farther into their habitats and get mad when they come in passing distance of our "properties" :smile:rolleyes)? Silly if you asked me.

3. You want less animals attacking humans, see point #2--stop encroaching on their habitats.

4. Aint nobody running out of food. We have more food now than at any point in history.

5. This is the only legitimate point. There exists populations that still depend on hunting game for their food and for these populations, I give them a pass. It's the well fed, heavy duty truck driving, 4 mansion owning, millionaire CEO who hunts defenseless animals for sport due some misplace sense of masculine pride that I have issues with.

Last edited:
The "population control" argument is kind of dumb if you take other things into consideration. Mostly the reason these species become overpopulated is because humans are killing their natural predators because those animals are a nuisance. If they didnt kill the predators, they wouldnt need to kill other species for "population control". Another reason is because humans are slowly, sometimes rapidly, encroaching on their natural habitat, thus taking a population that would normally be spread out and fencing them into a smaller area. The idea that people need to control animal populations is ridiculous in my opinion. Nature always found a balance for animal populations before man came around to screw things up.

most forms of recreational hunting now a days is used by states to collect income off permits and licenses. It's also used as a form of population control or to remove invasive species such as wild hogs.

P.S. It is a sport that takes a lot of knowledge, skill,  patience, and endurance. I don't condone killing animals just for the sake of killing though.

Back
Top Bottom