why is hunting considered a "sport" and accepted in society?

same could be said about fishing. I think the since humans have been doing it since they existed there is nothing wrong with it.

over population of animals
-destroy farm lands
-more animal to human attacks
-can possibly run out of food
-some people still hunt to support themselves with the food they kill (blankets, meat)

and so on...i can think of more reasons but this is a silly question that can easily be googled

Yes I am a hunter

1. Over population of animals is a silly argument. It's never been an issue because nature regulates animal populations, far better than we can ever dream of.

2. Destroy farm land. Simple--stop encroaching on their (wild animals) lands. We continue to expand deeper and farther into their habitats and get mad when they come in passing distance of our "properties" :smile:rolleyes)? Silly if you asked me.

3. You want less animals attacking humans, see point #2--stop encroaching on their habitats.

4. Aint nobody running out of food. We have more food now than at any point in history.

5. This is the only legitimate point. There exists populations that still depend on hunting game for their food and for these populations, I give them a pass. It's the well fed, heavy duty truck driving, 4 mansion owning, millionaire CEO who hunts defenseless animals for sport due some misplace sense of masculine pride that I have issues with.

1. Nature but when you mix nature with civilization, not so much. Same time every yr you get tons of deer roadkill on the interstate down here for example. I don't think they have any natural predators here around the cities anyways. Hunting them is part of minimizing that, and most people who hunt "for sport" still use the animal. Nobody I know who does just kills the animal, instagrams a pic with it, then leaves it there. Even if they keep the head for a trophy, you take the whole thing to a meat processor and make jerkey out of it, get the skin cleaned and that's not a blanket or rug. Leave the bones and they make glue out of the cartlidge.

2-3. I'd agree, but obviously that is outside of of their control and the resultant crossing between us and them happens and always it's going to end up bad for them.

4. A deer or chicken or turkey or fish you caught yourself then cooked >> one you bought at the Supermarket.

1. Over population of animals is a silly argument. It's never been an issue because nature regulates animal populations, far better than we can ever dream of.
I'm not sure where you live, but deer over population is a problem in Iowa.  It is such a problem that the DNR has released mountain lions to help thin the population.  I've hit a deer within the last year and have had several close-calls as well.  Other than the millions of dollars in damage caused each year, there are people who unfortunately lose their lives swerving to miss them or have them come through their windshield.

For one population control, particularly of "nuisance" wildlife. For example, where I live these feral hogs reproduce with the domesticated hogs and local hogs and create these gigantic cyborg boars so they are open season to hunt year around. There's also the issue of the damage they do to the environment and them spilling over onto human land i.e cities.
:nerd: Can we hear more about these Cyborg Boar?

:lol: I said cyborg. I meant massive.

So I'm googling to find that Hogzilla video from Oklahoma and come across this one. I work with this dude

Oh, and allegedly they spread disease. I know prairie dogs, which we have a lot of here too in parks on purpose for some reason, carry bubonic plague.

Cyborg Boar?! The Hell?!

if you dont kill them, they will kill you.

over population of animals
-destroy farm lands
-more animal to human attacks
-can possibly run out of food
-some people still hunt to support themselves with the food they kill (blankets, meat)

and so on...i can think of more reasons but this is a silly question that can easily be googled

Yes I am a hunter

2. Destroy farm land. Simple--stop encroaching on their (wild animals) lands. We continue to expand deeper and farther into their habitats and get mad when they come in passing distance of our "properties" :smile:rolleyes)? Silly if you asked me.

3. You want less animals attacking humans, see point #2--stop encroaching on their habitats.

4. Aint nobody running out of food. We have more food now than at any point in history.

5. This is the only legitimate point. There exists populations that still depend on hunting game for their food and for these populations, I give them a pass. It's the well fed, heavy duty truck driving, 4 mansion owning, millionaire CEO who hunts defenseless animals for sport due some misplace sense of masculine pride that I have issues with.

1. Nature but when you mix nature with civilization, not so much. Same time every yr you get tons of deer roadkill on the interstate down here for example. I don't think they have any natural predators here around the cities anyways. Hunting them is part of minimizing that, and most people who hunt "for sport" still use the animal. Nobody I know who does just kills the animal, instagrams a pic with it, then leaves it there. Even if they keep the head for a trophy, you take the whole thing to a meat processor and make jerkey out of it, get the skin cleaned and that's not a blanket or rug. Leave the bones and they make glue out of the cartlidge.

2-3. I'd agree, but obviously that is outside of of their control and the resultant crossing between us and them happens and always it's going to end up bad for them.

4. A deer or chicken or turkey or fish you caught yourself then cooked >> one you bought at the Supermarket.

Deers have natural predators. In a balanced ecosystem, there is an eternal regulation of predator and prey populations. If deers are running around rampant, it's because we killed of their natural controls decades ago in an attempt to make nature safer for us. Well now, this is the end result, an over abundance of prey species running around. It's this way only because we disrupted the natural system for our selfish, ignorant, needs.

I do however agree that wild game is better, health wise, than the domestic farm bred offerings. And because of this, as previously mentioned in an earlier post, I think certain populations that have maintained and continue to practice a hunter/gatherer lifestyle are justified in their hunting of animals--because their livelihood depends on it. This is a far cry from those people that do it for "sport" and display their well scripted prowess for the ESPN audience, however.

If you're hunting and eating wild game for the better health offerings, relative to the domesticated stocks, then more power to you. But you defeat the purpose and yourself if you're still also going to Whole Foods or Stop N Shop or w/e grocery chain to buy domesticated cutlets of your favorite meat. And as I am betting most "hunters" still regularly get their meat products from the modern supermarket, it's not difficult to see most of them in a hypocritical light.

I'm not sure where you live, but deer over population is a problem in Iowa.  It is such a problem that the DNR has released mountain lions to help thin the population.  I've hit a deer within the last year and have had several close-calls as well.  Other than the millions of dollars in damage caused each year, there are people who unfortunately lose their lives swerving to miss them or have them come through their windshield.

See:

"Deers have natural predators. In a balanced ecosystem, there is an eternal regulation of predator and prey populations. If deers are running around rampant, it's because we killed of their natural controls decades ago in an attempt to make nature safer for us. Well now, this is the end result, an over abundance of prey species running around. It's this way only because we disrupted the natural system for our selfish, ignorant, needs."

What really gets me is the lack of perspective on this "issue." It's always a "problem" when we are at the receiving end of nature's assault; when our livestock are preyed upon by wolves and mountain lions; when bears are walking through our backyards; when deers with no manners damage our windshields and fenders with their bodies; how inconvenient. Nary will you here the same outcry when we, humans, destroy their habitats (affects their homes, foods, territories, etc). I guess it's not an issue when the victim cant cry out for help, right?

Call me a tree-hugger or w/e, but I refuse to feel sorry for people when it's at the expense of wildlife and nature.

So I'm googling to find that Hogzilla video from Oklahoma and come across this one. I work with this dude

Oh, and allegedly they spread disease. I know prairie dogs, which we have a lot of here too in parks on purpose for some reason, carry bubonic plague.

you're co-worker shouldn't be using a .22 to kill those hogs, can't get a clean kill :smh:

but anyway, DatZNasty, is that your job as well? or was he just doing that for the landowners/part time hustle?

I know people here in cali are always asking landowners if they can hunt on their land to get rid of those things

that's something i never understood. how a civilized human could go to some woods or a forest and shoot and kill an innocent animal that didn't do anything to them and consider that a sport.
personally i think that's so ignorant and anyone that would shoot an animal strictly for entertainment purposes is a twisted psychopath.

successful troll is successful.

I don't condone hunting or killing of animals but how can one justify the slaughter of something huge like a deer but find a dog being kicked animal cruelty? Why do people place dogs above all animals?

I don't condone hunting or killing of animals but how can one justify the slaughter of something huge like a deer but find a dog being kicked animal cruelty? Why do people place dogs above all animals?

For most people it comes down to familiarity. Many people have dogs as pets. They can identify and sympathize with them. Obviously, the animals people hunt aren't usually pets. Not really fair, but understandable.

that's something i never understood. how a civilized human could go to some woods or a forest and shoot and kill an innocent animal that didn't do anything to them and consider that a sport.
personally i think that's so ignorant and anyone that would shoot an animal strictly for entertainment purposes is a twisted psychopath.
I feel this same exact way.

you're co-worker shouldn't be using a .22 to kill those hogs, can't get a clean kill :smh:

but anyway, DatZNasty, is that your job as well? or was he just doing that for the landowners/part time hustle?

I know people here in cali are always asking landowners if they can hunt on their land to get rid of those things
:lol: I'm not a hunter. He is a SFC in the Army unit I am attached to. And yea, that's a big hustle here, letting people hunt your land. I don't know if I could bring myself to do it. Just watching the videos gets to me a little bit. Now when it don' been killed and packaged and put on a Supermarket shelf, no problem though.

Cuz white people do it...

Hunting = fighting dogs

One is illegal, and isn't majority done by whites...

Back
Top Bottom