Why has Filipino food never gone mainstream?

As a Filipino, this is something I've been asking myself lately. Vietnamese, Mexican, Japanese, Chinese, Indian food have all taken off more so thanFilipino food. Is the taste just not up to snuff with other cultures? Is it the fact that there are very few upscale Filipino restaurants? Is it a lack ofmarketing? Are Filipino restaurants just not inviting?

Now that I think about it.. I don't think I've ever seen a filipino restaurant around here. Lumpia sounds good right now, though..

you guys eat left overs for breakfast

and don't mind cold food.
and even if you take that out the way, its not that great.
I live in a highly Filipino area and they have one or 2 buffets and I eat at my friend's house parties but its nothing I choose to remember.

I could go for some dinuguan right about now.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by ThunderChunk69

you guys eat left overs for breakfast

and don't mind cold food.
and even if you take that out the way, its not that great.
I live in a highly Filipino area and they have one or 2 buffets and I eat at my friend's house parties but its nothing I choose to remember.
laugh.gif

Really though, other than Adobo and Lumpia people always ask hit me with "What do Filipino people eat other than Adobo and Lumpia?" I just think mostpeople don't really know about it more than anything...

PS: Bay Area Heads (510) hit up Sampaguita in Alameda for your Filipino food needs. (haha yes shameless plug for my family's restaurant)

Originally Posted by In The Line For VIIs

As a Filipino, this is something I've been asking myself lately. Vietnamese, Mexican, Japanese, Chinese, Indian food have all taken off more so than Filipino food. Is the taste just not up to snuff with other cultures? Is it the fact that there are very few upscale Filipino restaurants? Is it a lack of marketing? Are Filipino restaurants just not inviting?

I don't think filipino food is too upscale to begin with.

Forreal there's nothing else. I'm pinoy but the only one that'll cater to American taste is Pancit, Lumpia..maybe adobo and the occasional lechonlol

I don't care if it goes mainstream or not, I got a ton of them around my area so I'm good
happy.gif

i remember they talked about it on anthony bourdains show when they went to the philippines. forgot why tho.

The experience of eating Balut is horrible. I do not wish it upon my worst enemy

Originally Posted by XX3forever

PS: Bay Area Heads (510) hit up Sampaguita in Alameda for your Filipino food needs. (haha yes shameless plug for my family's restaurant)

I grew up in Oakland, I'll come through next time I'm back home.
laugh.gif

filipino food is the worst type of ethnic cuisine in the world next to ethiopian. chicken adobo is the only good dish.

I used to eat my nanay's food when i was young, but as i grew, my distaste for filipino food grew as well. I refer to it as swamp food haha.

To me, it's not appealing at all, the smell is worse, the vegetables are boiled to an unrecognizable state, and the meat is more fat than

anything.

The hell? I lived in Alameda for all of middle school and high school, and I've never heard of that place. I'll check it out when I'mback for break.

Really though, other than Adobo and Lumpia people always ask hit me with "What do Filipino people eat other than Adobo and Lumpia?" I just think most people don't really know about it more than anything...

Serious?

Dude I've been driving all the way to King Sisig or whatever in Serramonte for Filipino food. And I live in Oakland.

I'm gonna check it out, but if your moms does me dirty and doesn't hook me up when I order the tosilog, I'm gonna put you on blast.

Back
Top Bottom