Why do people consider Big L a great rapper?

You can tell the people who actually listen to Big L and the ones who are just being sheep and just ride with the popular opinion that Big L is nice. You can just see it in the responses.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by MusicalExcellence

cuz he's from ny and dead... dude was good but he was just a punchline rapper...
another reason why your opinions are a complete joke.....he wasn't JUST a punchline rapper..he was arguably da ORIGINATOR of that style, especially when

you compare him with peers of his time like i said da only other person to come close to his flow was redman. even 

jay-z couldn't hold a candle to big L back then...imagine if big L would've ever hit his serious prime.

Time check for "Street Struck","Casualties Of A Dice Game","Ebonics" etc.Money wasn't JUST a punchline rapper.He had concepts.

Originally Posted by ninjahood

redman is also another dude people don't give enough credit to...his first album dropped in 1992.
Redman doesn't get nearly enough props. He's in my top 10.

Originally Posted by zube42

Originally Posted by ninjahood

redman is also another dude people don't give enough credit to...his first album dropped in 1992.
Redman doesn't get nearly enough props. He's in my top 10.
Top 10 what?

I'm surprised this hasn't been posted yet.

But yes Big L was ill in his own right, died before or while he was in his prime and consistently held his own in a legendary crew (D.I.T.C.).  All of these factors add to his legendary status.

Originally Posted by moneyisthemotive

Jay
Nas
Pac
Big
Big Boi
Dre 3K
Em
Redman
Scarface
Bun

In my opinion are all better than Big L. To people who say he hasn't reached his prime can u name a rapper who got better over time.

Big L influenced a lot of rappers. From Cam'ron, Mase, Papoose, Vad and a slew of others. Hands down, the greatest punchline rapper ever.

Originally Posted by Born Tuesday

I'm surprised this hasn't been posted yet.

But yes Big L was ill in his own right, died before or while he was in his prime and consistently held his own in a legendary crew (D.I.T.C.).� All of these factors add to his legendary status.
Check this and his first album. Dude was nice straight up, if you can't figure that out you know little to arguably nothing about rapping.

FYI, one of Jay-Z's earliest guest appearances was on Big L's debut album. Listen to "Da Graveyard"

Check out http://biglonline.com for more info. Myself and the other mods/members are trying our best to keep his music and memory alive on that forum.

and the preeminent Big L blog on the internet: http://biglrarities.blogspot.com/

I would like to say a lot more, but I'll let those links provide more info for the people who are willing to peep more of his music.

I still remember the day "The Big Picture" came out on Rawkus, that album was so dope. I was young when Lifestyles Of... came out so I went back and copped that one a few months after. L was very dope, some of y'all saying it's cause he died and cause he's from NY don't know shhh. Son was real lyrical, he had his dope punchlines and also could write a dope song.

indifferent.gif
big l / nas/ the wu/ biggie bodied ny hip hop wich influnced the rest of the country big l would muder your fav rapper

Originally Posted by spsfinest212

I listened to some of his stuff and  found nothing special or original about any of it. What makes him so special to some?
are u smoking crack???? this dude was saying this in 98 it sounds like its not original because its like 10 yrs old.....this dude out rhymed JAYZ on a freestyle
pimp.gif
...hes a great lil homey

Big L was raw and he had bars for days. I think his voice can put some people off, but no doubt about it his flow has been copied and raped a million times over by artists who don't have half the skills he had. Especially with the multi-syllable rhyme schemes, he just was crazy with his rhymes and would say some wild devilish stuff that nobody else was saying back then.

"The Big Picture" is one of my favorites albums of all time, "Lifestyles of Da Poor and Dangerous" is cool, but TBP is much more polished work. The mixtapes out there with all his freestyles are dope too, plus check his Children of the Corn work, murdered every track he was on. He will forever be a legend to real rap fans.

Originally Posted by MusicalExcellence

cuz he's from ny and dead... dude was good but he was just a punchline rapper...

im convinced you just a salty %$#@! made N_
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom