Who will sell more Wale or J.Cole? and was Big sean debut a fail?

Originally Posted by SonOfTony

its sad how we judge albums by their numbers
30t6p3b.gif
Not me, in recent years the best albums are the ones that never sold well to me. More recently I think Lloyd Banks had one of the best albums from last year and it didn't sell well, but he's still cranking out singles and videos. His songs succeeded through other avenues.

Speaking of J. Cole, is "Work Out" getting regular rotation in other markets? I hardly hear it here and the rare time I stream NY radio I don't hear it there either.

Originally Posted by SonOfTony

its sad how we judge albums by their numbers
30t6p3b.gif
Not me, in recent years the best albums are the ones that never sold well to me. More recently I think Lloyd Banks had one of the best albums from last year and it didn't sell well, but he's still cranking out singles and videos. His songs succeeded through other avenues.

Speaking of J. Cole, is "Work Out" getting regular rotation in other markets? I hardly hear it here and the rare time I stream NY radio I don't hear it there either.

Originally Posted by s0leFUNK

Originally Posted by malikdagoat

2nd) You cant predict Wale's sales off the MMG album, simply because compilation albums never sell well, no matter who's the headliner.  Wale has a pretty large following as of now depending on his single I predict between 80K - 100K first week
The Re-Up opened with 300k and went plat..

Em could slap his name on a cardboard cutout that looks like a CD and put it on the shelves and it would still sell 300 K. Not the same comparison here.

Originally Posted by s0leFUNK

Originally Posted by malikdagoat

2nd) You cant predict Wale's sales off the MMG album, simply because compilation albums never sell well, no matter who's the headliner.  Wale has a pretty large following as of now depending on his single I predict between 80K - 100K first week
The Re-Up opened with 300k and went plat..

Em could slap his name on a cardboard cutout that looks like a CD and put it on the shelves and it would still sell 300 K. Not the same comparison here.

Cole is a toss up. Can see him flopping, but could see him doing 100K with the right record. He has a lot of cosigners in the industry. I agree with Time a lil about his music (I think he's def dope, but something about it doesnt grab me), but the argument about 'he's just known on the net' could be used for damn near every rapper the past couple years before they blew, including Drake. Drake blew because he had the right co-signs.

Think Wale has a chance to blow up with the right record. Girls like him, a lot of dudes @@!$ with him, strong team. Dont think that "Bad Girls Club" song is it tho...but I feel he has the most mainstream potential out of the 3.

Originally Posted by illphillip

Originally Posted by kidKiDd

^ Big Sean selling 87k is not a solid debut, not for an artist signed to such a major deal. Jada & Fab latest albums at least cracked the 100k on their first week debut.
But back to the subject, I think if they were both to drop today I'd have to give it to Wale *shrugs*
Then you also have no idea what the $+%% you're talking about.

You're comparing Big Sean to Fab and Jada? Artists who've been around for 10+ years? Who have ESTABLISHED fan bases?

Do you have any idea how many radio hits Fab has had?

Or are you talking about their debuts years ago? When the music industry and sales were significantly healthier?

Major deal don't mean +%*$. Consumers don't know +%*$ about a major deal.

What you fail to realize is this.....

When consumers buy ALBUMS, they are investing in ARTISTS.

Big Sean has ONE single to his name. He is not an established artist.

When consumers buy SINGLES, they are investing in SONGS.

Sean is selling a gang of singles.

And 87k for a debut album from an artist is IN NO WAY SHAPE, OR FORM, A FAIL.

Get it?

And for the record, if you read the subject, then this IS also the subject. What you going back to?

^yea, B.o.B had a true smash record to his name (Nothin On You) before his album dropped (and Airplanes was on its way to being another), and he did 84K first week. He ended up doing great numbers because he was able to really crossover and be viewed as more than a "rapper" and the stigma that comes with that. Sean had a huge "rap" record, not really a huge "pop" record tho.

As a debut artist (rap in particular), its very hard to numbers in this climate. Sean doesnt have a big core fanbase. A lot of his fans came from the 1/20th of Chris Brown fans who crossed over, and 1/3 of Wiz fans. As much as he screams out "westside", there's still people who thinks he's from Cali. Or Chicago just b/c he's affiliated with Ye.

Think Def Jam expected those type of #s, thats why they undershipped the album. They wasn't carrying that album in any of the Walmart stores I went to in the Dallas area, ended up buying it on iTunes, think a good portion of his sales were digital. Saw Selena Gomez everywhere, and she did less. 87K isnt bad. Isnt "great", but not a failure. But I know he can chill w/ all the "Im super successful now" lyrics tho, considering that's all he talked about on his album. He aint there yet.

Cole is a toss up. Can see him flopping, but could see him doing 100K with the right record. He has a lot of cosigners in the industry. I agree with Time a lil about his music (I think he's def dope, but something about it doesnt grab me), but the argument about 'he's just known on the net' could be used for damn near every rapper the past couple years before they blew, including Drake. Drake blew because he had the right co-signs.

Think Wale has a chance to blow up with the right record. Girls like him, a lot of dudes @@!$ with him, strong team. Dont think that "Bad Girls Club" song is it tho...but I feel he has the most mainstream potential out of the 3.

Originally Posted by illphillip

Originally Posted by kidKiDd

^ Big Sean selling 87k is not a solid debut, not for an artist signed to such a major deal. Jada & Fab latest albums at least cracked the 100k on their first week debut.
But back to the subject, I think if they were both to drop today I'd have to give it to Wale *shrugs*
Then you also have no idea what the $+%% you're talking about.

You're comparing Big Sean to Fab and Jada? Artists who've been around for 10+ years? Who have ESTABLISHED fan bases?

Do you have any idea how many radio hits Fab has had?

Or are you talking about their debuts years ago? When the music industry and sales were significantly healthier?

Major deal don't mean +%*$. Consumers don't know +%*$ about a major deal.

What you fail to realize is this.....

When consumers buy ALBUMS, they are investing in ARTISTS.

Big Sean has ONE single to his name. He is not an established artist.

When consumers buy SINGLES, they are investing in SONGS.

Sean is selling a gang of singles.

And 87k for a debut album from an artist is IN NO WAY SHAPE, OR FORM, A FAIL.

Get it?

And for the record, if you read the subject, then this IS also the subject. What you going back to?

^yea, B.o.B had a true smash record to his name (Nothin On You) before his album dropped (and Airplanes was on its way to being another), and he did 84K first week. He ended up doing great numbers because he was able to really crossover and be viewed as more than a "rapper" and the stigma that comes with that. Sean had a huge "rap" record, not really a huge "pop" record tho.

As a debut artist (rap in particular), its very hard to numbers in this climate. Sean doesnt have a big core fanbase. A lot of his fans came from the 1/20th of Chris Brown fans who crossed over, and 1/3 of Wiz fans. As much as he screams out "westside", there's still people who thinks he's from Cali. Or Chicago just b/c he's affiliated with Ye.

Think Def Jam expected those type of #s, thats why they undershipped the album. They wasn't carrying that album in any of the Walmart stores I went to in the Dallas area, ended up buying it on iTunes, think a good portion of his sales were digital. Saw Selena Gomez everywhere, and she did less. 87K isnt bad. Isnt "great", but not a failure. But I know he can chill w/ all the "Im super successful now" lyrics tho, considering that's all he talked about on his album. He aint there yet.

Originally Posted by Peep Game

Originally Posted by ATGD7154xBBxMZ

I don't understand what that means, easier on the ears? Like more radio friendly musically?

I saw that in Wale in his first two mixtapes cuz his sound was fresh but now he's copied the already accepted sound which he displayed on his album and everything he's done since signing with Ross.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Seriously? Easier on the ears just means their flow/delivery is kinda smooth, rather than being irritating as hell, like J.Cole and Big Sean are a lot.
When you sound like you're constantly yelling into the mic, that's not a good thing. It's funny though, cause a lot of these new rappers out ARE copying
each other with that yelling/screaming flow, Cole, Sean, Drake, Meek Mil, etc, etc. Is anybody original?
Oh.

I read it and that context wasn't even in mind
laugh.gif
If it's just their voice and how they rap flow/delivery wise then yeah Wale is easier on the ears to the point you're engaged and not bored to death or irked by their rapping. Big Sean can get very boring though, even after he switches his flow at times. Cole doesn't have that problem imo but the good beats are a help.

That yelling/screaming shh old. Just seem like it's back in style for these new dudes.

Originally Posted by Peep Game

Originally Posted by ATGD7154xBBxMZ

I don't understand what that means, easier on the ears? Like more radio friendly musically?

I saw that in Wale in his first two mixtapes cuz his sound was fresh but now he's copied the already accepted sound which he displayed on his album and everything he's done since signing with Ross.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Seriously? Easier on the ears just means their flow/delivery is kinda smooth, rather than being irritating as hell, like J.Cole and Big Sean are a lot.
When you sound like you're constantly yelling into the mic, that's not a good thing. It's funny though, cause a lot of these new rappers out ARE copying
each other with that yelling/screaming flow, Cole, Sean, Drake, Meek Mil, etc, etc. Is anybody original?
Oh.

I read it and that context wasn't even in mind
laugh.gif
If it's just their voice and how they rap flow/delivery wise then yeah Wale is easier on the ears to the point you're engaged and not bored to death or irked by their rapping. Big Sean can get very boring though, even after he switches his flow at times. Cole doesn't have that problem imo but the good beats are a help.

That yelling/screaming shh old. Just seem like it's back in style for these new dudes.

Big Sean's 87K confused me. Like where did that come from?! I dont know ANYONE who literally went out and bought that album or even purchased it on iTunes but hey *shrugs* maybe the label copped a couple K's.

As for Wale and Cole....I'm thinkin Wale will sell more simply b/c he's really branding the "#Ambition" thing on Twitter and his fanbase seems stronger than Cole's right now. I want Cole to sell bad tho and I think he will do pretty well. "Bad Girls Club" is NOT Wale's 1st single tho, just a summer record.

Oh and the only thing about making a single with a major artist like Drake for Wale or Cole is that once it gets hot everybody's gonna say...."That songs only hot because Drake is on it". Im sure of this.

Big Sean's 87K confused me. Like where did that come from?! I dont know ANYONE who literally went out and bought that album or even purchased it on iTunes but hey *shrugs* maybe the label copped a couple K's.

As for Wale and Cole....I'm thinkin Wale will sell more simply b/c he's really branding the "#Ambition" thing on Twitter and his fanbase seems stronger than Cole's right now. I want Cole to sell bad tho and I think he will do pretty well. "Bad Girls Club" is NOT Wale's 1st single tho, just a summer record.

Oh and the only thing about making a single with a major artist like Drake for Wale or Cole is that once it gets hot everybody's gonna say...."That songs only hot because Drake is on it". Im sure of this.

also, no one is talking about the fact that the actual musical content of Big Sean's album was trash and Cole and Wale's music is actually pretty good. 

like someone said, it's like no one cares about the actual music anymore. now i can see why dude is going so mainstream with his MMG stuff, thats the only thing people seem to respond to.

also, no one is talking about the fact that the actual musical content of Big Sean's album was trash and Cole and Wale's music is actually pretty good. 

like someone said, it's like no one cares about the actual music anymore. now i can see why dude is going so mainstream with his MMG stuff, thats the only thing people seem to respond to.

Originally Posted by DT43

stopped reading after I read that

Originally Posted by DT43

stopped reading after I read that

Herp derp, its dude who blindly hates on wale in every thread. opinion dismissed
laugh.gif

Herp derp, its dude who blindly hates on wale in every thread. opinion dismissed
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom