Who here makes 6 figures? Vol. 2016 edition

SAP sucks. I use WMS daily but have to use SAP here and there throughout the day and its horrible. So many dam t-codes to memorize.

lol. the t codes arent that bad man. especially once you have them memorized. I was an SAP consultant so almost all the materials management and inventory management t codes are burned in my memory

SAP is not a bad solution. The main complaint (and its valid) is its too damn expensive. A medium scale implementation can run you 15-20 Mil if you do all your functional areas.

Some folks equate a 50-60 hour work week to being confined to an office. That's not the case. :lol:

You can be doing business/getting work done while out at lunch/dinner/golfing/traveling/or at home....

That may be the case if you're collaborating on something or managing client relationships but business and leisure typically do not mix.

I'm equating the 50-60 hour work week to being confined to an office because that's what I see from my roommate, parents, and gf. Their normal hours are 40 but they are usually staying in the office to meet a deadline or submit a deliverable on time and end up working 60 hours a week. Also, they aren't getting paid OT for those hours.

You paint a pretty picture with what you just said but that is not the reality for most people who are overworked. And that is where the complaint with a higher salary but more hours lies. The fact that these people are workaholics or overworked. If you can work and make time for leisure at the same time, great. It means your job is relatively laid back and not so demanding. That's a good culture to work in but it's not the norm for people working 50-60 hour weeks, at all.

Trust me, bro...I completely understand what you're saying. However, working long hours doesn't necessarily equate to being in an office all day and night.

Also, I never said that folks want this, or that it's ideal. It's still a grind and can (not always) take a toll on your own mental well-being or family life. It can be a trade off.

found out yesterday my girl getting 120k
laugh.gif

works for a large consulting firm. Its funny cause she only had 1.5 years of experience before she got this job.

I'm at 80k doing a IT Consulting doing much more technical and taxing job. Gotta work smarter lol.

we live in Atlanta. oh yeah, shes 24
mean.gif
What is the name of the consulting firm?

From what I've seen. IT is NOT a low stress job. Roommate I just mentioned is an IT Consultant.

Its the consulting jobs that are extremely high stress. I'd never take a consulting gig no matter how much they offer me.

This is because the client will try to squeeze blood from a stone despite the contract.

I guess they squeezed the rest of his hair out too because he wasn't this bald when we moved in together 2 years ago. #stresskills

SAP sucks. I use WMS daily but have to use SAP here and there throughout the day and its horrible. So many dam t-codes to memorize.
That's why SAP jobs pay big bucks. Not a lot of people want to get into it because of its complexity.

S/O to @VaGixxer
on crushing REI and coming in with the action talk.
I don't see you post much now a days, hopefully we can link one day when I get closer to starting my real estate investing.

Back on topic...I'm 23 and with my salary and rental income I'm shy of 6 figures.
I'm a software engineer I started at 72K last year. I have received a nice raise and looking at a promotion at the beginning of 2017.

Currently looking to get a new position and start by the end of this year that will put me in the 250K+ range (60 hour work weeks).

I currently work 40 hours a week that's it, not working more than that unless I'm getting OT.
Yal are crazy talking about ill work 70 hours a week for 100K :lol: . If I'm working that much I better be making atleast 200K.

Personally I think Software/IT is the best route to good paying jobs , good benefits, and a  great quality of life.

@LuckyLuchiano
obtaining a masters is the cheat code for our field man. Some places count Masters as 3-5 years of experience lol. A guy hit me up on linkedin saying I would be qualified for a level 3 position at 150K/yr due to my Masters (he read my profile wrong I don't graduate until 2018). Still says alot since I only have 1 year of experience and that position would be almost double my current salary.

Trust me I know, im just saying "making 6 figures" doesnt tell the whole story when it comes to "success" especially with all these dudes talking this 60hr work week nonsense lol

I have been working 60 hours per week and am on schedule to make right around 100k

I work from home and have no commute time. 

I can watch tv and movies when I work. 

Am I winning or losing according to NT? 

Last edited:
Trust me I know, im just saying "making 6 figures" doesnt tell the whole story when it comes to "success" especially with all these dudes talking this 60hr work week nonsense lol
Oh yeah I definitely agree, I don't think 6 figures equals success. I'm not working 60 hours a week for 100K, just isn't worth it TO ME (keywords).

I don't consider myself to be that successful. Haven't achieved the goals that really matter to me yet. I have a long way to go.

@Mark Antony yup I consider consultant companies worker mills, your just a body to them and they will work you to death until its time for you to be replaced.

Last edited:
Have you counted how many lies you've told In the 4 years to make that money. You people knocking on people's door are annoying as hell

I dont have to lie at all its a pretty straightforward thing and i dont even talk to customers anymore just run the office and help recruit. Was it fun knocking doors? Not really.. Was it worth it to get where i am now? **** yes.. I have plenty of family that has been working at their jobs for twice as long making half as much sure their jobs are a lot less demanding but id rather retire at 40 doing this than work till im 70 in a bs mindless drone job.

I recently changed industries (Insurance to Investment Banking) into one of the hottest markets globally. (Compliance)

With this move I took a base cut in salary. But over time with the current demand for growth and the yearly bonus it would place me in a much better situation than where I would of been had I stayed in the Insurance industry, which at the time was not doing well at all..

In addition, I also made a move out to Hong Kong where Uncle Sam currently is not taking any money from me as I don't currently hit the capital gains threshold. I believe it's 100K gross? Not certain though. At my current base and the bonus at year end I can advise later. But let me tell you it's a great feeling being able to keep a vast majority of the money you make and not unjustifiably giving it away...
Insurance to I Banking? Pls do tell @KrazyChino :smile: PM open as well.

SAP isn't a dinosaur but its like 40 years old. As far as ERP systems thats antiquated. IMO its best for plant/inventory management. for HR/Finance/Order Management there are better, more flexible and more cost efficient ERP systems.
SAP is constantly evolving though. Updates are constantly coming out. Then you also have SAP HANA, which is pretty new. Windows has been around for many years and it's still heavily used and works well.

RDBMS has been around forever and it's still the most heavily used database management concept/structure because it just works

Last edited:

six figures isn't worth giving your life for 70 hours or whatever a week. In no shape or form.

S/O to @VaGixxer
I don't see you post much now a days, hopefully we can link one day when I get closer to starting my real estate investing.

Back on topic...I'm 23 and with my salary and rental income I'm shy of 6 figures.
I'm a software engineer I started at 72K last year. I have received a nice raise and looking at a promotion at the beginning of 2017.

Currently looking to get a new position and start by the end of this year that will put me in the 250K+ range (60 hour work weeks).

I currently work 40 hours a week that's it, not working more than that unless I'm getting OT.
Yal are crazy talking about ill work 70 hours a week for 100K :lol: . If I'm working that much I better be making atleast 200K.

Personally I think Software/IT is the best route to good paying jobs , good benefits, and a  great quality of life.

@LuckyLuchiano
obtaining a masters is the cheat code for our field man. Some places count Masters as 3-5 years of experience lol. A guy hit me up on linkedin saying I would be qualified for a level 3 position at 150K/yr due to my Masters (he read my profile wrong I don't graduate until 2018). Still says alot since I only have 1 year of experience and that position would be almost double my current salary.

Def bro. I lurk mainly these days. Hit me for sure though.

props bro!!!!

i know ppl are reading things like this right here and just straight up salty

repped, thank you btw i recall your story already but for thread purposes........8)

Thanks my man. That's love.

Yeah I mean if you have responsibilities and mouths to feed and have to work 60-70 hours to do so, I'm not knocking that man at all. As a single man with no kids, I would not do it unless I loved my job. I value my hobbies, friends, family, etc. over money.

F that plateau of 100k,

I just want to be comfortable and not fall into the trap of making X and now wanting X + 50k

We are made to always want more, cut that **** off and you'll be golden.

Financial freedom is where it's at.

The only way i would work 50-60-70-80 hours a week is if I work for myself. I'm not slaving for somebody else.

Making 70k a year working 35 hours with flexibility, pension plan and great benefits >>> making 120k slaving with no benefits.
This dude gets it!

I was working contracts overseas for 8 years clearing about $140k-160k each year.

No pension and benefits were only as good as the contract lasted.

No job security laid off due to RIF(Reduction in Force) twice.

But it taught me to stack all that money and be smart and prepared with a plan B in case of being laid off.

Was great times and great travel on vacations....but we were indeed herded and treated like cattle by these big companies.

It can really mess of your perception of money getting all that lump some liquid cash into your bank account at 24.

When I settled back into the states I was still spending like I was working those high dollar contracts.

Last edited:
S/O to @VaGixxer

@LuckyLuchiano

How did you land your job as a software engineer? What kind of work do you do? Programming? I am thinking about going to finish my Bachelors cause I think having an associates is not enough.

If you graduate from college at 21, there is almost no way that you shouldn't be making 100k at age 30 if you stick it out with you career path and aren't a dummy.

For example, in auditing:

Staff: 55k (21-23)
Senior: 75k (23-26)
Manager: 95k (26-30)
Senior Manager: 145k (30)

My wife is a Senior manager. Busy season is nuts

Back
Top Bottom