Who here makes 6 figures? Vol. 2016 edition

How did you land your job as a software engineer? What kind of work do you do? Programming? I am thinking about going to finish my Bachelors cause I think having an associates is not enough.
I got my BS in Computer Science, did 3 internships while in school.

I do embedded systems programming (C/C++) .

Yeah I can't imagine disconnecting just cause it's after 5pm.
That's not how business works.

This. 31 I did 85k last year so I'm right at the door. 40hr a week but I really only by the office 2 days out of the week. 4 weeks vacation plus trips and other bonuses. Can't complain.

The stress level is perfect for me and my family

i've said that for years but it really depends where you live and what your circumstances are. i didn't know you posted on NT.
lol, I make about 50k a year, but I also take care of my daughters full time. Their mom makes 70k a year. Even together, we were still barely making it. Hawaii is just a tough place if you don't have family. Honestly, to live decently here, you need to be making about 100k each a year, and you're still squeezing a little bit. Every time I go to the mainland and see the price of produce and milk, and no tax on groceries in cali and Nevada, it makes me a little bit sick.

Only thing about living here in Hawaii that makes it tolerable is free shipping and no tax from ndc.

yeah man, having children changes the equation. i remember you posting that on FH. right now we're putting money away in the hopes that my son gets into iolani or punahou (or maybe midpac).

Guess this was directed towards me?  Not even going to explain what it is. Its not an opportunity open to alot of people anyway.Can't imagine what you didn't even know existed .
My bro does what I will be doing and made 20K last month he's 23 and has less than 1 year of experience.

Not sure if my position will be low stress, I'll find out when I get it. I know I will be working 60 hours a week.

View media item 2069777
It's a job, bruh. It's aint like you're trying to explain gravity to a 6th century blacksmith. I'm in high finance, famb. I promise you I don't want to do what you do.

I'm not trying to encroach on your career nor trying hate and call you a fraud.

I'm no where near an expert in IT, but I just asked what the position was and some similar companies that offer comparable pay...

:lol:

@handullz

The role is very, very rare. If we're gonna use analogies:

Sneakers = Tier 0 Hyperstrike release

Finance = Blackstone Tactical Opportunities

It's a job, bruh. It's aint like you're trying to explain gravity to a 6th century blacksmith. I'm in high finance, famb. I promise you I don't want to do what you do.

I'm not trying to encroach on your career nor trying hate and call you a fraud.

I'm no where near an expert in IT, but I just asked what the position was and some similar companies that offer comparable pay...

laugh.gif
It's not even about that lol look how your acting just because I wouldn't explain what it was
laugh.gif

It's an overseas position has little to do with what company you go out with, more to do with the nature of the job.

Nobody wants to do it and its dangerous depending on location, so you get paid very well.

It's not available to many people because you need a clearance that less than 1% of US citizens have.

Feel better ?

Last edited:
What kinda clearance is it? not sure why ya'll typing all that instead of just saying what it is though.
A government clearance.

Saying what the position is? Radar Systems Engineer...it doesn't matter what the position is though. If your overseas in the dangerous areas your gonna get paid very well.

It's not even about that lol look how your acting just because I wouldn't explain what it was
laugh.gif

It's an overseas position has little to do with what company you go out with, more to do with the nature of the job.

Nobody wants to do it and its dangerous depending on location, so you get paid very well.

It's not available to many people because you need a clearance that less than 1% of US citizens have.

Feel better ?

Insurance to I Banking? Pls do tell krazychino krazychino :smile: PM open as well.

I got lucky to say the least! I was raised at a young age to work hard, never burn bridges and to network. At the end of the day, you'll never know who would be able to help you out. For me, I was vouched by a very trusty referral for a contract position in Hong Kong. The role wasn't at all glamorous by any means, basically doing all of the grunt and dirty work nobody else wanted, but I made the most of it learning a lot more of the technicalities on the product side and seeing how business is done.

great if you can get into it. Law degree is usually preferred

Yep, there are even post-graduate Compliance degrees in addition to Law that are currently available, both very highly encouraged especially for the younger generation. I've already started down that path but am taking a break until we fill some headcount lol. In regards to how is Compliance considered i-banking, these days financial institutions are highly regulated by the government. That's where Compliance comes into play, we make sure the cowboys don't fk things up for everyone else.

I work for an IB (in Tech) and I know a lot of people with regular bachelors degrees in compliance. Legal helps but espeically coming out of schools if you can network right you can be get into compliance/AML. I think out of the 4 in the compliance graduate program one went to law school. Other three I believe have un related majors. This is though an office outside of Wall Street.

Last edited:
Compliance was my initial career goal. Went and got my Series 24 and was gonna go to school for securities law and everything. Made a switch though, but Compliance will always be in high demand.

When you combine my Southwest Airlines Salary as well my Army National Guard I make a decent 54k a year.
Plus I live in Suburbs of Atlanta , I live very comfortable.
Now my wife, seriously makes a lot more than me. She is a hair stylist here in Atlanta these folks pay up to $200 to get their Brazilin, Malaysian and other types hair sew-in. That's not even including the Bundles of hair that she sells .which can cost you between $80-$400 and that's just for 3 or 4 bundles of hair.

When you combine my Southwest Airlines Salary as well my Army National Guard I make a decent 54k a year.
Plus I live in Suburbs of Atlanta , I live very comfortable.
Now my wife, seriously makes a lot more than me. She is a hair stylist here in Atlanta these folks pay up to $200 to get their Brazilin, Malaysian and other types hair sew-in. That's not even including the Bundles of hair that she sells .which can cost you between $80-$400 and that's just for 3 or 4 bundles of hair.
I'll never understand why women spend ungodly sums of money on fake hair.

Back
Top Bottom