Which old school hip hop artist is overrated in your eyes?

TipsyMcStagga

formerly kod843
As I'm sitting here watching 90's weekend on MTV Jams, a Too Short video comes on and I'm realizing how overrated this dude is. Raps are simple as hell and his flow sucks. Can't even think of one Too Short song with just him that I actually like :\

Which ones are overrated in your eyes and why?

Timing plays a great part in the legacy of some older rappers.  Some things you have to experience as they happen
to fully appreciate it.  Not everything can be graded using the same criteria...

Yea, you're definitely right about that

unlike today where the majority rappers sound the same and speak on topics like "swag this or roosay that," what I find most interesting about the golden age of hip hop is there was so many dope MC's that did not get the shine that some did but music back then was about skills, lyricism, and fresh content and concepts so even the "underrated arists" were and still are dope!

unlike today where the majority rappers sound the same and speak on topics like "swag this or roosay that," what I find most interesting about the golden age of hip hop is there was so many dope MC's that did not get the shine that some did but music back then was about skills, lyricism, and fresh content and concepts so even the "underrated arists" were and still are dope!

You're absolutely right.  And that's because there used to be standards in music...hip hop especially.  You weren't respected unless you were nice.  Whoever was the nicest generally had it on lock.  

Today, it has nothing to do with that, and we accept some truly weak and mediocre material.

All I'm sayin is... if a N' can't ball, can he play in the NBA?  If you don't have skills, can you play in the NFL?

I don't think so.  Same rules should apply to hip hop...

KRS One but the quote below definitely justifies things for him

Timing plays a great part in the legacy of some older rappers.  Some things you have to experience as they happen
to fully appreciate it.  Not everything can be graded using the same criteria...

Dr. Dre and Snoop Dogg

Dre doesn't even write his own rhymes so he shouldn't count :lol: I do agree with Snoop too though. Post Doggystyle Snoop is garbagggge IMO. He showed some flashes on a couple of his No Limit albums but that's about it...

Not a bad thread, considering Too Short may well be the least talented while still respected rapper in history. Dude has the same content, weak *** flow, and NO bars whatsoever and was still able to drop 16 studio albums, 4 EPs, and 2 collab albums with E 40.

Timing and ingenuity play a big role too. It's equivalent to, say, Bob Cousy and AI in basketball. Cousy was a PG for the Celtics teams in the 60s that won 6 championships and was considered a wizard ball handler in his day. If you compare Cousy to AI in the year 2012, it would be laughable to call what Cousy had as handles, but because of the era he played and the creativity it took to even come up with that kind of handle, he's still considered one of the GOAT.

Last edited:
Tupac

I used to really really not **** with Pac. (always thought west coast rap was ***). But i grew to respect who he was as a person along with the content of a lot his songs. But when it came to the actual lyrical skills, dude is the most overated of all time. He's consdered one of the GOATS really off the stregnth of his legacy. Which is cool, cause I can see why he was so loved back in the day. Still, RIP.

You're absolutely right.  And that's because there used to be standards in music...hip hop especially.  You weren't respected unless you were nice.  Whoever was the nicest generally had it on lock.  

Today, it has nothing to do with that, and we accept some truly weak and mediocre material.

All I'm sayin is... if a N' can't ball, can he play in the NBA?  If you don't have skills, can you play in the NFL?

I don't think so.  Same rules should apply to hip hop...

Music is subjective though.

Nowadays the underrated rappers are the only good ones for the most part. The only way to blow up is to talk about the same **** everyone else is saying. Minus Kendrick, J cole, and maybe a few others who stayed true to what they've always talked about. Back then it took talent and good lyrics combined with song making ability to get big.

Tupac
I used to really really not **** with Pac. (always thought west coast rap was ***). But i grew to respect who he was as a person along with the content of a lot his songs. But when it came to the actual lyrical skills, dude is the most overated of all time. He's consdered one of the GOATS really off the stregnth of his legacy. Which is cool, cause I can see why he was so loved back in the day. Still, RIP.

I grew up during that whole west coast/east coast era. I live in LA an tupac is sooooooooo overrated. He had charisma and all that but his rhymes weren't that great. I think he gets more "props" because he passed. "You're no one till somebody kills you."

I grew up during that whole west coast/east coast era. I live in LA an tupac is sooooooooo overrated. He had charisma and all that but his rhymes weren't that great. I think he gets more "props" because he passed. "You're no one till somebody kills you."

Tupac's rhyme style was simple but his lyrical content, beat choices (it's well documented that Pac produced a lot of his own music and gave other dude's the credit), sex appeal for the ladies, work ethic, and intelligence is what made him stand out. People love controversy and the bad boy image as well. Say what you want but Pac made great music and his material doesn't sound dated like a lot of old school artist.

I still don't see how people categorize Biggie as one of the greatest after only two albums. Would have loved to see how his work would have been after say about 4 albums. Just my opinion though.

Last edited:
Tupac's rhyme style was simple but his lyrical content, beat choices (it's well documented that Pac produced a lot of his own music and gave other dude's the credit), sex appeal for the ladies, work ethic, and intelligence is what made him stand out. People love controversy and the bad boy image as well. Say what you want but Pac made great music and his material doesn't sound dated like a lot of old school artist.
I still don't see how people categorize Biggie as one of the greatest after only two albums. Would have loved to see how his work would have been after say about 4 albums. Just my opinion though.
yeah people who say Pac is overrated because his lyrics were simple are missin his whole appeal. he brought passion, feeling, and emotion to evrything and he was much more of a poet...still GOAT in my eyes :pimp:

Back
Top Bottom